Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
This is pretty fun, but it suffers from the exact same problem Loadout (F2P arena shooter) did. One team starts losing, so some pubbie decides to just drop. Suddenly, any imbalances that already existed are magnified, and minutes later, the losing team is down to one or two players who are being relentlessly hunted down and killed. It's fun for precisely no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This is pretty fun, but it suffers from the exact same problem Loadout (F2P arena shooter) did. One team starts losing, so some pubbie decides to just drop. Suddenly, any imbalances that already existed are magnified, and minutes later, the losing team is down to one or two players who are being relentlessly hunted down and killed. It's fun for precisely no one.

How do you see this as different from any team-centric MP game where players ragequit?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

How do you see this as different from any team-centric MP game where players ragequit?

Why does it have to be different?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Duck and Cover posted:

Why does it have to be different?
Because that's just the nature of these games. icking has already said in this thread that they're looking into adding penalties for quitting a match. It's already pretty dumb to quit if you're most of the way through the first round anyway, since you lose any XP/gold gained. Winning a match doesn't even give that big of a bonus.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Because that's just the nature of these games. icking has already said in this thread that they're looking into adding penalties for quitting a match. It's already pretty dumb to quit if you're most of the way through the first round anyway, since you lose any XP/gold gained. Winning a match doesn't even give that big of a bonus.

Just because it is a common issue doesn't mean it gets immunity from people complaining about it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
To clarify: I rarely see 3vs4 matches or ragequits, so this may be biased. Maybe European players are a superior breed :smug:

Meatsicle posted:

It's already pretty dumb to quit if you're most of the way through the first round anyway, since you lose any XP/gold gained.

I may have to endure 10 minutes of boredom and repeatedly dying if I'm playing humans at 2 vs 4, though. My time is far more valuable than imaginary gold.

icking fudiot posted:

Another player may come to join the fray and cover the missing spot in other games. I seldom (never?) see substitutions after a match begins.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

icking fudiot posted:

I don't, and I don't really feel compelled to hold developers accountable for the issue, either. It's simply the nature of the game. This is an issue in any team-centric game, but it's extremely noticeable in games like this, where small team counts mean losing just one player can create a huge issue. There aren't any really fantastic solutions that would make the problem go away, though, so I can't really do much more than be mildly irritated by it.

E: Drop-ins would work out well (probably). Alternatively, if teams become unbalanced, there could be some sort of throttle on how many players a team can have on the field at any given time. Hardly ideal, since it punishes whoever is sitting out, though.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Another player may come to join the fray and cover the missing spot in other games. I seldom (never?) see substitutions after a match begins.

We definitely fill matches with new players (drop-in), but at this point of beta player count isn't high enough to have constant substitutes on tap unfortunately.

I wasn't trying to dismiss the concern above, just asking if it's somehow worse in Nosgoth or if it's just a general complaint about uneven teams in online multiplayer.

We've considered developing bots that could take over until replacement players are found, but this is problematic for multiple reasons (bot's either too good or a free kill to player perception typically, etc.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

icking fudiot posted:

We definitely fill matches with new players (drop-in), but at this point of beta player count isn't high enough to have constant substitutes on tap unfortunately.

This is basically why I don't complain (much) about it. I understand the player base is small.

But yes, I think we read your answer as dismissive ("It happens in other games, too"). Glad that it wasn't.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

icking fudiot posted:

I wasn't trying to dismiss the concern above, just asking if it's somehow worse in Nosgoth or if it's just a general complaint about uneven teams in online multiplayer.

Pubbies suck, news at 11:00.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I've got one reccommendation and one suggestion that go hand in hand.

The first would be to show somewhere on the TAB scoreboard what the overall score is for the combined match, or at the least what the score was for the first round. It's hard to tell what the kill/death spread you need to win on the second round is if you don't remember what it was from the first round.

The other suggestion, while maybe not entirely necessary, would be an option for a team to surrender once a game becomes "unwinnable". In other words, the first round was 30-10. If during the second round the first round's winners achieve at least 11 kills, the game then becomes unwinnable for the other team (they have a max chance of getting 40 combined kills, provided they hit the 30 cap of round 2, where as the other team already hit 41). I mean, you could still play it out for fun like I still do anyway, but it seems like that could be a viable option for players to vote on in such cases.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

The Crusher posted:

I've got one reccommendation and one suggestion that go hand in hand.

The first would be to show somewhere on the TAB scoreboard what the overall score is for the combined match, or at the least what the score was for the first round. It's hard to tell what the kill/death spread you need to win on the second round is if you don't remember what it was from the first round.

The other suggestion, while maybe not entirely necessary, would be an option for a team to surrender once a game becomes "unwinnable". In other words, the first round was 30-10. If during the second round the first round's winners achieve at least 11 kills, the game then becomes unwinnable for the other team (they have a max chance of getting 40 combined kills, provided they hit the 30 cap of round 2, where as the other team already hit 41). I mean, you could still play it out for fun like I still do anyway, but it seems like that could be a viable option for players to vote on in such cases.

Yeah, the unwinnable condition suggestion has come up a lot, we definitely need to add some kind of option there. We're hesitant to make it an auto-end because we don't a situation where you're looking forward to playing vampires and you technically lose early on in Round 2 and don't get much time with that faction. But a surrender vote is a cool idea.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

icking fudiot posted:

Because the player count is small. The smaller the player count the worse a leaver feels. The worse a leaver feels the more people will leave after the first one.

Combine that with a lack of leaver punishment and lack of surrender option to end games that are lovely to play for everyone you get a bad situation.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Will hang out in the CTS Mumble if anyone wants to group up at some point. I made a channel.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

This game needs better team balancing way the hell before it needs leaver punishment. Too often I see a team levels like 11-8-12-10 against 24-21-18-20 and at that point there's no reason for the game to even happen, I wouldn't blame anyone for not wasting their time with that.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Ah Pook posted:

This game needs better team balancing way the hell before it needs leaver punishment. Too often I see a team levels like 11-8-12-10 against 24-21-18-20 and at that point there's no reason for the game to even happen, I wouldn't blame anyone for not wasting their time with that.

We have team balancing, but if players queue as a party it does not split them up. When we split up parties during team balancing, everyone cried bloody murder that they couldn't always play on their friends' team. So there's not a clear win until we have the playercount to support a separate team matchmaking queue.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Why not just charge for this game at this point

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Why not just charge for this game at this point

Because it's destined to be a F2P game? And they are charging for beta access...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly at this point I'm wondering why is this game not in "open beta". The biggest issue by far right now is the low number of players.
Impossible to determine just how much a leaver hurts the real game if there are only 200 dudes playing and the drop-in players are super rare.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 14, 2014

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Honestly at this point I'm wondering why is this game not in "open beta". The biggest issue by far right now is the low number of players.
Impossible to determine just how much a leaver hurts the real game if there are only 200 dudes playing and the drop-in players are super rare.
I'm starting to agree. I'm at level 20 and about to quit for now because almost every single game is a lopsided mess. It sucks, because I really enjoy the mechanics of the game, but if you play solo you either get stuck on the wrong side of the matchmaker or pubstomped. Even when you're on the right side it's not much fun winning 30-6.

icking, what's the time frame on opening the flood gates?

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
It would obviously be silly to go into open beta before the Matchmaking/Party rewrite hits, so I’d say it’ll be a while yet (depending how far out that is).

Personally I think once the matchmaking/party woes are gone though, the game is definitely ready for open beta.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Don't have a date unfortunately, and it's Square's call (we - Psyonix - just make the game, not the business decisions...).

The target was late summer but that is highly in flux based on matchmaking/party revamps, general bug fixing, content releasing on time, etc.

I certainly don't think there's any harm in taking a break until some issues get sorted or the population grows some more due to it being fully open. There IS an open event planned that isn't far off that could help spike the population, but I can't talk about that any more without Square's ninjas coming for me.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, at least the game is a fresh enough idea that the delay to open beta won't hurt its future player base, I guess?

I don't think I'll play much more of Nosgoth until Open Beta, because:

Meatsicle posted:

if you play solo you either get stuck on the wrong side of the matchmaker or pubstomped. Even when you're on the right side it's not much fun winning 30-6.

The win conditions are the loving worst for when the game is unbalanced, which it is 90% of the time. This is specially true when the numbers favor the humans, as their defensive playstyle means the game lasts its full duration without too much action, since vampires just stay in the rooftops hissing.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I'm having a good time with this game. I won't have time to play it as much as I'd like for a while but the quality of the game this far makes me hope for a proper relaunch of the LoK games from Square, since they seem to be going all in for reboots these day.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Heads up, new Founders packs, pretty much the same packs as now, but with reduced costs (like about steam sale prices, the new cheapo pack is $5 and the immortal is $50) and no runestones. It's pretty much the ingame versions buyable with runestones if you just wanted the extras. They must have seen how many units sold during flash deal and said gently caress yeah.

Question for icking fudiot though - I got a handful of old founders packs from the sale incase my friends actually liked nosgoth, will they still be runestone giving or will they switch to the gold ones? I want to know if I should trade them/give them away asap.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

Heads up, new Founders packs, pretty much the same packs as now, but with reduced costs (like about steam sale prices, the new cheapo pack is $5 and the immortal is $50) and no runestones. It's pretty much the ingame versions buyable with runestones if you just wanted the extras. They must have seen how many units sold during flash deal and said gently caress yeah.

Question for icking fudiot though - I got a handful of old founders packs from the sale incase my friends actually liked nosgoth, will they still be runestone giving or will they switch to the gold ones? I want to know if I should trade them/give them away asap.

I am honestly not sure, I would redeem them sooner rather than later to be safe.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Got an email with a few free keys if anyone is interested in giving this a try:
TEJODA-351-BOLABE-236
CENODE-751-JOWACA-000
TAXOLA-973-JADAVA-215

Think these are probably for the Nosgoth site rather than Steam.
Edit: All gone now, thanks for the heads up.

Honest Davion fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Honest Davion posted:

CENODE-751-JOWACA-000

I took this one, thanks.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

icking fudiot posted:

I am honestly not sure, I would redeem them sooner rather than later to be safe.

Well alrighty then, thanks. Any update on it as we approach the 22nd? I only got starter packs, but if someone got a half off $150 pack and left it in their backpack because of the redemption issues, and it magically turns into a $50 they might get real peeved.

I already found a home for one (ME), but if anyone is interested and had cold feet during the sale, I got two left. I just want pretty much what I paid and not going to try to scalp poo poo because scalpers are human garbage, so $6 because of paypal fees and poo poo (if its less then whatever it comes to). It's the $20 pack from the flash sale.

Also speaking of those issues with people who used a beta key not being able to redeem it, thats fixed, I redeemed one fine.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 21, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
There sure are a lot of achievements now, I wonder when they’ll go live.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

Well alrighty then, thanks. Any update on it as we approach the 22nd? I only got starter packs, but if someone got a half off $150 pack and left it in their backpack because of the redemption issues, and it magically turns into a $50 they might get real peeved.

I already found a home for one (ME), but if anyone is interested and had cold feet during the sale, I got two left. I just want pretty much what I paid and not going to try to scalp poo poo because scalpers are human garbage, so $6 because of paypal fees and poo poo (if its less then whatever it comes to). It's the $20 pack from the flash sale.

Also speaking of those issues with people who used a beta key not being able to redeem it, thats fixed, I redeemed one fine.

I verified that your old packs will retain their value - the rewards they grant will not change with today's updates to the Founder's Packs.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

icking fudiot posted:

I verified that your old packs will retain their value - the rewards they grant will not change with today's updates to the Founder's Packs.

Thanks, I checked with Greg yesterday and he said the same thing.

Also new map today :

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Square Enix humble bundle has the Nosgoth veteran pack available if you pay more than the average. I wanted another game that was available so I got an extra copy of Nosgoth. Here's the link to redeem it, post if you redeem it so I can remove it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=TFMR4Uk8ApG8MV5E

PureRok fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Davion posted:

Got an email with a few free keys if anyone is interested in giving this a try:
TEJODA-351-BOLABE-236
CENODE-751-JOWACA-000
TAXOLA-973-JADAVA-215

Think these are probably for the Nosgoth site rather than Steam.

All are used.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

Grognan posted:

All are used.

I had a batch of keys in a recent email as well, knock yourselves out goons.

DEGUME-953-JOGOTE-031
BEPOME-971-BAWOTE-021
FACUFA-351-GADACE-230

Again they are for the Nosgoth site and I assume you link your steam account after getting in.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for giving up your precious keys goons, more people playing this the better.

lovely Wizard posted:

Also new map today :

Ooo, something new to try when i get time. :getin:

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Speaking of keys, I got a batch a few days ago as well. One has been used up already, but these two should be good.

BABOFE-773-GOBAFA-030
NABULA-373-GOLOCE-201

And now to boot up the game and try out the new map.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

Grobbit posted:

I had a batch of keys in a recent email as well, knock yourselves out goons.

DEGUME-953-JOGOTE-031
BEPOME-971-BAWOTE-021
FACUFA-351-GADACE-230

Again they are for the Nosgoth site and I assume you link your steam account after getting in.

Took the first one, thanks!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Wordybird posted:

Speaking of keys, I got a batch a few days ago as well. One has been used up already, but these two should be good.

BABOFE-773-GOBAFA-030
NABULA-373-GOLOCE-201

Took the second (NABULA-373-GOLOCE-201) one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Wordybird posted:

BABOFE-773-GOBAFA-030
NABULA-373-GOLOCE-201

I snagged the first one, thank you!

• Locked thread