Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

I noticed there is a not insignificant delay on looking around if you have even 30FPS. You move the mouse, and then you look in that direction after the delay, which is hugely debilitating in a game that requires reflexes and accuracy. Did this always happen, and is there a way to fix it? Their performance enhancements did exactly jack poo poo and the game takes even longer to load now. I have everything set to low already with shadows off, and I don't remember it being this bad.

If you have an NVIDIA card right click your desktop -> NVIDIA control panel -> manage 3D settings, click the 'program settings' tab, then find Planetside 2 in the list or add planetside2_x86.exe/planetside2_x64.exe as appropriate. Set 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' to 1 and hit apply and restart planetside and it should fix the mouse lag.

Not sure what this option is called with ATI/AMD cards but I assume they have a similar setting.

(And if you have an NVIDIA card try out the GeForce Experience optimal settings feature, it works pretty well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Then why does the Magrider kill more vehicles with all guns?

My original point is that being good at 1v1 is good for harvesting tears but not much else. That's a whole lot of fun anecdotes and opinions and all but the relevant data has been posted already, please address it at least passingly if you're wishing to make bold assertions in tank performance

edit - and of course my ORIGINAL ORIGINAL point was that the PPA/C85/Marauder balance needs addressing. I only mentioned the Magrider itself to preempt the "LOL BUT MAGRIDER BAD SO PPA MUST BE OP" convoluted and baseless strawman argument that this usually spawns, which unfortunately did not work.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 30, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think the Prowler's Vulcan and Marauder are our Karmic Balance for the Pounder still not being nerfed. A price I'm willing to pay.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Epic High Five posted:

My original point is that being good at 1v1 is good for harvesting tears but not much else. That's a whole lot of fun anecdotes and opinions and all but the relevant data has been posted already, please address it at least passingly if you're wishing to make bold assertions in tank performance

edit - and of course my ORIGINAL ORIGINAL point was that the PPA/C85/Marauder balance needs addressing. I only mentioned the Magrider itself to preempt the "LOL BUT MAGRIDER BAD SO PPA MUST BE OP" convoluted and baseless strawman argument that this usually spawns, which unfortunately did not work.

are you making strawmen for your strawmen?

that's meta as gently caress

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Wanna laser dudes in swamps. Help.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Nakar posted:

I'm not sure why the SABR isn't the same way, probably because the SABR is a legit weapon for non-scripters and so people use it normally which drags the numbers down to reasonable levels.

Some BWC guy on Reddit started arguing that the SABR is a terrible gun cause of its burst mechanics and it shooting too slow and doing too little damage. Also that the Reaper and Tross are terrible but all three would be "good" if their damage falloff started at 70m.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arghy posted:

Everyone in GOKU can attest that when we see another tank in our magriders we hide because the magrider is not an anti armor tank. We do not see a line of armor and go PULL MAGRIDERS!

"We never pull armor as a counter to armor." - The people who perfected nigh invincible anti-tank infantry formations and the phrase 'I don't care if you just pulled it, ditch your tank and redeploy to Rashnu'.

The Magrider has it's faults, but insisting that GOKU doesn't pull them to counter armor as proof is like suggesting that QRY aren't really spergs because you saw one on the ground once.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

If those tank stats are pulled from the very beginning of the game - they are not telling the truth. The average NC player can't be that loving stupid, right?

Then again, I have seen entire 14 tank columns of vanguards not even making it out of the base they were spawed at. Or the time I ambushed a tank platoon, not once, but twice in an ap prowler and killed like 8 of them each time. That's no fault of the vanguard mind you, it's more of the 666 Devil Dogs being hilariously inept.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah you've gotta ignore the top and bottom pretty much, unless they've got a big user base. I did enjoy seeing how the 3 new ARs settled into line with relative usefulness. The Terminus is the best AR for the VS, hands down, so it's #1. The TORQ is a bullshit powerful gun in a lineup of bullshit powerful guns, and thus is only #2, the Tross is viewed as a niche sidegrade to the (admittedly excellent) Reaper so there's no real NEED to use it, and thus it is #3.

I have used the Gauss Rifle Burst. I've even auraxiumed the Gauss Rifle Burst. The Gauss Rifle Burst is the worst AR in the game, and yet it ranks in the top 5

The Terminus really is a drat fine gun though, though I'm not sure I'd choose it over a Carnage

Because KPU is a complete poo poo metric that has zero correlation to balance.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
If the question is purely how the Magrider kills more vehicles the answer is simple: It has an easier time keeping up with Harrassers, Sunderers and Lightnings who don't have or rely on raw firepower like MBTs. Basically it's in the weird place between support vehicles and tanks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

This is the funniest thing ever posted in a Planetside 2 thread.
*two shots magriders with actual aiming* lovely tank.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Xae posted:

It's almost like the games population is bad at understanding math/statistics. Like the 4th faction "problem" of a faction's population % rising....even though no new players are actually logging on to that faction.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The vanguard is awesome and is easily the best AV tank out of the 3.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

Leal posted:

cool photos

I like these, it's like you're playing literally inside (or as an FPS version of) Out of this World.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The reason the Vanguard shows up on the low end of stats is because of its long reload. It's very easy in that window for something like a lock-on rocket, a Basilisk, a Reaver, a Lightning, etc to steal a kill. It's also why the Vanguard has poor man farming stats; sure, you can take off 90% of a guy's health with a near HEAT miss, then a random pistol picks him off.

If they wanted to bring the Vanguard up to par statistically with its primary weapons they'd need to buff it's reload speed. They wouldn't nerf it's damage of course because :soe: It's also why the Prowlers is so high by comparison, it's got two shots so it generally finishes off its kills.

Xae posted:

Not to Sanchez! :dance: (he's one of the lead balance guys)

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Epic High Five posted:

the Vanguard is still the worst tank to pull if you're looking to make other vehicles dead

I stopped reading your thousands of incredibly tedious gun posts 500 pages ago and now I feel vindicated in that decision

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

tak posted:

If you have an NVIDIA card right click your desktop -> NVIDIA control panel -> manage 3D settings, click the 'program settings' tab, then find Planetside 2 in the list or add planetside2_x86.exe/planetside2_x64.exe as appropriate. Set 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' to 1 and hit apply and restart planetside and it should fix the mouse lag.

Not sure what this option is called with ATI/AMD cards but I assume they have a similar setting.

(And if you have an NVIDIA card try out the GeForce Experience optimal settings feature, it works pretty well).

This worked, thanks! I have an ATI card, and found a similar value to change called Flip Queue Size, changeable in a program called Radeon Pro. I changed it to 1 and that seems to have reduced or eliminated the aiming lag.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

sitchelin posted:

And it got buffed recently too! The Vanguard is NC's CARV, it's loving amazing and the players who use it are absolutely convinced it's a steaming turd.

Incorrect. I appreciate the Vanguard for what it is: an almost totally invincible face-fucker*.

*against armor and sunderers, not recommended for farming infantry

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Any vehicle that's not VS's stats will always be skewed for one simple reason: Lancer Nests.

As long as a Lancer nest can completely obliterate armor at ranges it can't be rendered at, any attempt at armor by the other side will always fail, Magrider or not. Let the Mag be a total joke. HAs are loving everywhere, and it's easy as poo poo for them to lug a Lancer around. It's hard as gently caress to escape a Lancer nest on most continents that are not Hossin, on the other hand.

VS have nothing to complain about. TR (and NC, to a lesser degree... Phoenix is good, but it has a VERY short range limit) WISH they had something like that. Then again, gently caress TR.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Any vehicle that's not VS's stats will always be skewed for one simple reason: Lancer Nests.

As long as a Lancer nest can completely obliterate armor at ranges it can't be rendered at, any attempt at armor by the other side will always fail, Magrider or not. Let the Mag be a total joke. HAs are loving everywhere, and it's easy as poo poo for them to lug a Lancer around. It's hard as gently caress to escape a Lancer nest on most continents that are not Hossin, on the other hand.

VS have nothing to complain about. TR (and NC, to a lesser degree... Phoenix is good, but it has a VERY short range limit) WISH they had something like that. Then again, gently caress TR.

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

Find me pubs or non-mlg outfits who use lancer nests. Oh wait there aren't any. That's why TR and NC armor zergs usually work until GOKU shows up.
:qq: buff the carv

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

Which is why KPU is a joke of a stat. All it does it let you project your bias onto the data with the pretense of accuracy.

According to KPU the Orion, Carv and Saw are all poo poo.

More to your point, Fuzz isn't far off. The Lancer is the best ES AV in the game, hands down. You could argue that the striker, or Phoenix one shoting infantry were better in their heyday. But right now the Lancer is the best AV weapon in the game. It almost obsoletes every vehicle in the game.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Fuzz posted:

It's hard as gently caress to escape a Lancer nest on most continents that are not Hossin, on the other hand.
Even Hossin isn't safe, when we realized they might be able to duck away, we started calling targets and volley firing to insta-kill them :ssh:

Xae posted:

But right now the Lancer is the best AV weapon in the game. It almost obsoletes every vehicle in the game.
We originally use Annihilators to do the same thing, and it was pretty much just as effective. Lock-on or super-fast projectile, both will utterly erase armor if massed by a coordinated force. We've even done coordinated dumbfire volley to bust armor columns. The Lancer is definitely the best ESRL, I'm not arguing that; I just think that you're heavily undervaluing teamwork (Hint: It's OP). The other ESRLs would be easy to fix, even:
Striker: Drop the damage to sub-annihilator levels (not by too much though) and make it track like Coyotes but for all vehicles.
Pheonix: Double the range limit, improve handling, lower damage even further against infantry, and make it incapable of shooting through spawn shields.

All rockets need a heavy nerf against infantry though; Any one-hit kills are a lovely and unfun game mechanic.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

Do you really want to do this?

The problem is with my CPU, not my GPU. But yeah, most big fights I get 5-10 fps.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Goons say that the best way to use the prowler is to brawl with it, even though it (anchored) is the best at range and is the weakest up close compared to the nimble magrider or durable vanguard. Reading about MBT stuff here is pretty sketchy.

Desideratus posted:

All rockets need a heavy nerf against infantry though; Any one-hit kills are a lovely and unfun game mechanic.

Also AT and AP mines need to be nerfed for the same reason. They should provide an AOE debuff mechanic similar to an EMP or conc grenade and not free kills.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lassitude posted:

Also AT and AP mines need to be nerfed for the same reason. They should provide an AOE debuff mechanic similar to an EMP or conc grenade and not free kills.
Oh God please give me Conc Mines. It'd be like trading one free kill for five!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nakar posted:

Oh God please give me Conc Mines. It'd be like trading one free kill for five!

It'd be five free kills that you were actively involved in, is the difference. That's way more legit than one free kill as a result of you clicking the LMB once someplace 15 minutes ago and then redeplyoing across continent. Mines which reward preparation and a good defensive/ambush setup would be way cooler for gameplay than mines which give random free kills to people who were entirely uninvolved in their detonation.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
A single concussion mine surrounded by a constellation of normal mines. I call it the "Sideshow Bob".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Durendal posted:

If those tank stats are pulled from the very beginning of the game - they are not telling the truth. The average NC player can't be that loving stupid, right?

Then again, I have seen entire 14 tank columns of vanguards not even making it out of the base they were spawed at. Or the time I ambushed a tank platoon, not once, but twice in an ap prowler and killed like 8 of them each time. That's no fault of the vanguard mind you, it's more of the 666 Devil Dogs being hilariously inept.

They're for this month only, Oracle lets you sort by a lot of factors

DA is since day 1 in almost all cases, however

edit - bugged assist exp getting fixed in the patch for next week :(

quote:

This isn't the whole list, and has the usual caveat that it's still in testing. Wait for the official posting on the Forums to get excited. Current target is Weds morning.
Tank fix is in QA's hands, looking good so far
A gaggle of Hossin fixes/polish tasks (not quite a 'bunch' but more than 'a few')
Missed some of the doors with the new transparency rules; fixing that
Bloom adjustment (was too high)
Fix to kill assist exp (sorry guys, gotta take the good with the bad!)
Early heads up: We need to do some internal updates, so if it works out with this update, the downtime may be extended a bit.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 1, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

illrepute posted:

A single concussion mine surrounded by a constellation of normal mines. I call it the "Sideshow Bob".

There should only be something like concussion mines, for both AP and AT variants. I feel like a filthy whore setting AT mines near areas I know people will pull vanguards from, in the areas of bridges where the mines clip into the terrain especially. I don't deserve those kills. They don't deserve those deaths. AT/AP mines are the Rosa Parks of PS2.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lassitude posted:

There should only be something like concussion mines, for both AP and AT variants. I feel like a filthy whore setting AT mines near areas I know people will pull vanguards from, in the areas of bridges where the mines clip into the terrain especially. I don't deserve those kills. They don't deserve those deaths. AT/AP mines are the Rosa Parks of PS2.

For every tank you blow up with an AT mine, thats one less shitter sitting outside of a base doing gently caress all but spamming mouse 1 at a spawn room building. Just think of that next time you have a moral dilemma about how honorable laying mines are.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Desideratus posted:

Even Hossin isn't safe, when we realized they might be able to duck away, we started calling targets and volley firing to insta-kill them :ssh:

We originally use Annihilators to do the same thing, and it was pretty much just as effective. Lock-on or super-fast projectile, both will utterly erase armor if massed by a coordinated force. We've even done coordinated dumbfire volley to bust armor columns. The Lancer is definitely the best ESRL, I'm not arguing that; I just think that you're heavily undervaluing teamwork (Hint: It's OP). The other ESRLs would be easy to fix, even:
Striker: Drop the damage to sub-annihilator levels (not by too much though) and make it track like Coyotes but for all vehicles.
Pheonix: Double the range limit, improve handling, lower damage even further against infantry, and make it incapable of shooting through spawn shields.

I entirely agree the lancer is the best and that its entirely under utilized. If they ever changed rockets to be faster so they go further then it would solve some of the problem that the other 2 factions face since you can use dumb fires more accurately and at greater range.

Striker should turn into basically a fracture with some coyote mechanics which is basically flak mechanics. The phoenix should be pushed to 450m but dropped down in damage.
Lets be honest the best way to fix the current ESL's would be to add loving variants or some sort of ammo mechanic. A striker that could lock on to 550m but did basically 800 damage if all missiles hit or a phoenix that had 450m range but did 1/3rd of the damage. Change the current lancer to the weaker long range variant but dropping some of its damage then add another variant that had 400m range with a 3 round mag but did decimator damage when fully charged up.

gently caress just bring back PS1 poo poo already, inventory and droppable weapons. A ton of different variants of all the guns allowing you to min/max as you pleased.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

But if guns were droppable they couldn't charge :10bux: for them and then immediately nerf them the week after everyone buys them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Didn't they say that the Phoenix's range was due to technical issues, and if it were further you'd have to have a load screen after you stopped controlling it?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Make it so you cant change the attachments so everyone can equip abuncha horrible attachments just to gently caress with people who get them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Arghy posted:

a phoenix that had 450m range but did 1/3rd of the damage.

I know you're Arghy and all but how did you come to the conclusion that giving the Phoenix 1.5x range in exchange for 2/3 of its damage would be a great balancing factor? Do you think they can be fired more than once every 10 seconds or something? I'm legitimately curious.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Gonkish posted:

Didn't they say that the Phoenix's range was due to technical issues, and if it were further you'd have to have a load screen after you stopped controlling it?

That's proven bullshit. Just fire a phoenix off the back of a moving flash and you'll see it there.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Because the Lancer exists. Hope this helps.

Fuzz posted:

Incidentally this is a problem with the meta more than it is a problem with the Lancer.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jorge Bell posted:

I know you're Arghy and all but how did you come to the conclusion that giving the Phoenix 1.5x range in exchange for 2/3 of its damage would be a great balancing factor? Do you think they can be fired more than once every 10 seconds or something? I'm legitimately curious.

Just imagine being able to completely destroy all sundys within a 450m radius, 4 dudes could easily out DPS the repair reps--good NC outfits would never lose a base. A good example is crossroads, from the middle of almost any air pad you can hit a sundy behind C/B. If you just got 5 dudes to do it at the same time you can basically alpha any sundy attacking crossroads destroying any attempt to take it. If you had 450m range you could shoot from the middle of the tower by A and fly out a window then reach those sundys and theres not a drat thing anyone could do about it.

Lancers are great for taking out sundys but all it takes is having 2 sundys and now that lancer squad needs to relocate where a 450m powerful phoenix would just sit in the middle of a base destroying every sundy again and again. Make it like the lancer so 6+ dedicated phoenix users would be able to destroy undefended sundys but it would be a challenge if someone started repairing it.

I'm all for making the phoenix awesome and fun same with the striker.

las0m
Jul 6, 2002
Arrr, Tis' a remorseless eating machine! Come for the freak, stay for the food..
here are some more codes for you guys. hope you are enjoying hossin!

4GU6-97P6-DHT9-GAF6-4MA4
MJ6G-XXEG-376A-2VPG-446G
TZXJ-H6ZJ-AXPK-73E6-H379
P2CZ-XGGZ-466G-RHFA-PVFN
XRF2-CJ62-XGMH-66J6-UPAF
2D4R-RZTR-NJVJ-M7X3-GMH4
X3XD-M2UD-4ZJZ-9K4C-7PGR
U4T3-URG3-G2FX-6336-7CJR
UCT4-RD24-ARH6-DRA6-9FHA
AEAC-G3PC-9DRN-TD6X-PD6X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Thanks, AEAC-G3PC-9DRN-TD6X-PD6X claimed.

• Locked thread