Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

infernal machines posted:

i think its because it's way easier to write off hicks and blue-collar shitheels as ignorant and uneducated rather than just purely lovely people (they still are). the bay area tech/dark enlightenment crowd have no excuses, they're affluent and educated and they're still the shittiest things on two legs.

it's just way easier to point to someone wearing a $1500 fashion crime on their face complaining about cyborg rights and say, look at that contemptible fuckwit, they should loving know better.

~*~*~explorers~*~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
the amount of money our parent co has spent on Plumtree/BEA Poral/Oracle Portal whatever the gently caress they call it now to never have it work well is loving insane. I can't wait to see the shitfest that the replacement Adobe CQ/Experience Manager brings to our lives.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
lets migrate from an oracle abomination to an adobe abomination.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

i think its because it's way easier to write off hicks and blue-collar shitheels as ignorant and uneducated rather than just purely lovely people (they still are). the bay area tech/dark enlightenment crowd have no excuses, they're affluent and educated and they're still the shittiest things on two legs.

it's just way easier to point to someone wearing a $1500 fashion crime on their face complaining about cyborg rights and say, look at that contemptible fuckwit, they should loving know better.
Well and despite the lovely portion of the blue collar workers being pretty awful what with the bad political opinions they at least aren't wrapped up in fantasies of being the next tech zillionaire and even if they'd prefer a ranch house and 10 arces in the middle of nowhere they're -way- more amenable to going where work is available.

Effete tech shitheads seem unable to imagine being able to survive without being right in the middle of the largest metro areas on earth. What do you MEAN I don't have 25 $10 cocktail bars to choose from any given night!? I have to DRIVE to get groceries?? You mean I might have to live across from a REPUBLICAN?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

reminder that nerds exist in a state of pure privilege and should be held personally responsible for all wrongs ever committed

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

carry on then posted:

reminder that nerds exist in a state of pure privilege and should be held personally responsible for all wrongs ever committed

your point?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
adobomination

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you kill yourself over facebook postings, you sorta deserve it

well it isn't like those with mental illness (or facebook users) are known for thinking clearly.

i just can't think of a more perfect way to gently caress with someone with depression than to systematically and surreptitiously scrub their news source of all good news. like if it were a person doing it to another person it would be pretty textbook emotional abuse and destabilisation.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

You mean I might have to live across from a REPUBLICAN?

To be fair nobody should want to have to do this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fabricated posted:

Well and despite the lovely portion of the blue collar workers being pretty awful what with the bad political opinions they at least aren't wrapped up in fantasies of being the next tech zillionaire and even if they'd prefer a ranch house and 10 arces in the middle of nowhere they're -way- more amenable to going where work is available.

Effete tech shitheads seem unable to imagine being able to survive without being right in the middle of the largest metro areas on earth. What do you MEAN I don't have 25 $10 cocktail bars to choose from any given night!? I have to DRIVE to get groceries?? You mean I might have to live across from a REPUBLICAN?

don't kid yourself, they're all temporarily embarrassed millionaires, the hicks are just betting on a literal lottery win rather than the successful app/webservice jackpot.

having to drive to get groceries is not really a good thing, and there's nothing wrong with preferring urban living for any number of reasons. it's really only ironic because of how they're all randian superheros who firmly believe they're lone islands in the sea of men, all while living in the heart of the modern interdependent society.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Damiya posted:

To be fair nobody should want to have to do this

a republican called into the local npr affiliate this morning and started bitching about how much of a minority he is living in san francisco

the show host started explaining to him how it's very unfair how he's likely implied to be a racist/misogynist/homophobe/ignorant hick by his neighbors and how he should strive to counter those expectations

so ofc the caller mentions gay pride since that was this weekend and immediately got cut off

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

having to drive to get groceries is not really a good thing

yeah but the silicon valley ideal is to have someone else drive to get groceries for you, thus being even less efficent with resources

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a republican called into the local npr affiliate this morning and started bitching about how much of a minority he is living in san francisco

the show host started explaining to him how it's very unfair how he's likely implied to be a racist/misogynist/homophobe/ignorant hick by his neighbors and how he should strive to counter those expectations

so ofc the caller mentions gay pride since that was this weekend and immediately got cut off

good old KQED, home of the weekend-long prairie home companion marathon, every weekend of the year!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

good old KQED, home of the weekend-long prairie home companion marathon, every weekend of the year!
there are many things that are awesome about the bay area

our public radio stations are not among them

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'd like to disrupt the internet of things so that it doesn't work, or exist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

atomicthumbs posted:

i'd like to disrupt the internet of things so that it doesn't work, or exist

good news! so far reality is way ahead of you on that one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

the fundraisers guilted me into donating some money to them once, but then three months later the fundraiser came on again and i realized that even if you donate you still have to listen to that garbage for a whole month four times a year so i don't bother donating any more.

i might consider it if there was some way my money could be used to get garrison keillor off the air and replace him with newly grown clones of click and clack, the tappet brothers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

the fundraisers guilted me into donating some money to them once, but then three months later the fundraiser came on again and i realized that even if you donate you still have to listen to that garbage for a whole month four times a year so i don't bother donating any more.

i might consider it if there was some way my money could be used to get garrison keillor off the air and replace him with newly grown clones of click and clack, the tappet brothers
just download the $0.99 KCRW iphone streaming app and listen to awesome music 24/7 (or, y'know, all things considered and morning edition if you must)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

if by "public" you mean "listener supported" broadly then you are so wrong

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gazpacho posted:

if by "public" to mean "listener supported" broadly then you are so wrong
the classical station is p cool, but it broadcasts using a couple of twisted-together coat hangers attached to a 12v truck battery

or are you talking about pacifica in which case lmfao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i'm going to do internet radio i just listen to cbc radio 3. npr is for when i'm in the car and not arsed to plug the phone into the stereo and screw around with the apps.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

the classical station is p cool, but it broadcasts using a couple of twisted-together coat hangers attached to a 12v truck battery

or are you talking about pacifica in which case lmfao
bay area bourgeois reactionary spotted

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

well it isn't like those with mental illness (or facebook users) are known for thinking clearly.

i just can't think of a more perfect way to gently caress with someone with depression than to systematically and surreptitiously scrub their news source of all good news. like if it were a person doing it to another person it would be pretty textbook emotional abuse and destabilisation.

forget suicides

think murder-suicides

we're now in the area of distinct possibility that one or more of those has happened with a not-insignificant push from this poorly thought-out lovely as gently caress "experiment"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

don't kid yourself, they're all temporarily embarrassed millionaires, the hicks are just betting on a literal lottery win rather than the successful app/webservice jackpot.

having to drive to get groceries is not really a good thing, and there's nothing wrong with preferring urban living for any number of reasons. it's really only ironic because of how they're all randian superheros who firmly believe they're lone islands in the sea of men, all while living in the heart of the modern interdependent society.
I live smack-dab in the heart of the rural midwest man. Most of these people are satisfied if they own a house, a nice usable truck/car, and have a wife with 2.5 kids, then maybe some pointless extravagance like a blown-out musclecar or a gigantic truck or whatever.

They hold themselves above government assistance even if it takes a dozen credit cards to do it and have loving awful opinions on everything under the sun, but they are under no illusions that they're destined to be the douchebags from Duck Dynasty. gently caress, you saw the polls where something crazy like 3/4ths of the people in tech in the bay area literally think they're going to be the next Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
What does 'generative' mean in that context

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

so my outrage and my stupid facebook feed has been engineered to suit me? thanks!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the "next stebe" ideology is a pita when you get interviewed by anyone who believes it. i don't mean in the sense that they see themselves as the next stebe (which they do) but more importantly they are rating you on their personal stebe scale

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i blame the VCs for looking for the next stebe everywhere. so now everybody has to keep saying that "they're the next steve jobs" so much that they're actually starting to believe it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

if you seriously think that an education or wealth help make people better people then I'm sort of at a loss as to what to tell you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gazpacho posted:

the "next stebe" ideology is a pita when you get interviewed by anyone who believes it. i don't mean in the sense that they see themselves as the next stebe (which they do) but more importantly they are rating you on their personal stebe scale

they're all already the next stebe: talentless greedy hacks who attempt to claim credit for anything they can and destined to die a painful death

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

if you seriously think that an education or wealth help make people better people then I'm sort of at a loss as to what to tell you.

arguably a formal education can make you aware of people/cultures/issues you would never encounter in your homeschooled white computer nerd upbringing so it can be good that way.

formal education also leads to freshman psychology students and engineers who believe the world revolves around engineers so in the end it's probably a tossup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

i don't think that, i think that people expect more from someone with an education the they do from a random hick, at least when it comes to :biotruths: and racism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

arguably a formal education can make you aware of people/cultures/issues you would never encounter in your homeschooled white computer nerd upbringing so it can be good that way.

basically this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gazpacho posted:

bay area bourgeois reactionary spotted
pacifica is a loving train wreck: http://www.laweekly.com/2014-03-20/news/left-wing-darling-pacifica-radio-is-sliding-into-the-abyss/?showFullText=true

its also mostly taken over by people selling woo woo "herbal" remedies that THEY dont want you to know about

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

i don't think that, i think that people expect more from someone with an education the they do from a random hick, at least when it comes to :biotruths: and racism

and people who know better know that "expecting more" is in the "there's always more and it's always worse" sense.

see also: reddit

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
next stebe is the worst because a lot of "founders" buy into the myth of stebe, which they interpret to mean being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone, because stebe was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone and look at all the success he had!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

pacifica is a loving train wreck: http://www.laweekly.com/2014-03-20/news/left-wing-darling-pacifica-radio-is-sliding-into-the-abyss/?showFullText=true

its also mostly taken over by people selling woo woo "herbal" remedies that THEY dont want you to know about
i don't suppose it matters in your (James) Randian worldview that i don't listen to those particular programs. it's such a terrible thing, if you turn on the radio in the bay you might hear something that (1) isn't top 40 (2) doesn't glorify european culture (3) deviates from the washington PR lines :qq:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i think that people expect more from someone with an education the they do from a random hick, at least when it comes to :biotruths: and racism

yes and those people are stupid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lol the west coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"i listen to some pretty obscure low-power non-commercial listener-supported stations, you probably haven't heard of them"

*sips pbr*
*adjusts skinny jeans*

• Locked thread