Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
its me, i;m the real FM guru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

yes and those people are stupid

well yeah, obviously they still believe that poo poo, but the polite, educated, and white way way of dealing with it is to never talk about it in public.

their real crime is making it obvious how lovely educated rich white people are

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm a white male who makes a lot of money programming computers. I listen to podcasts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

next stebe is the worst because a lot of "founders" buy into the myth of stebe, which they interpret to mean being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone, because stebe was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone and look at all the success he had!

i think that the "founders" who are trying to emulate stebe must have heard him described at one point as an enfant terrible and they just took the meaning literally.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gazpacho posted:

its me, i;m the real FM guru
tell me more of these bespoke artisanal hand-assembled radio stations playing music my blinkered western top 40 clogged brain is too stupid to comprehend

tell me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now that is a joke that it takes a formal education to make.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gazpacho posted:

i don't suppose it matters in your (James) Randian worldview that i don't listen to those particular programs. it's such a terrible thing, if you turn on the radio in the bay you might hear something that (1) isn't top 40 (2) doesn't glorify european culture (3) deviates from the washington PR lines :qq:

yes but we're talking about pacifica

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
phony poser FMguru focused this on pacifica not me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i think that the "founders" who are trying to emulate stebe must have heard him described at one point as an enfant terrible and they just took the meaning literally.
p much

there are a lot of business lessons you can take from stebes life and career (sweat the details, question assumptions, look for new markets instead of crashing into long-settled ones, etc), but the one they chose was "be a unreasonable, demanding, manipulative rear end in a top hat to everyone at all times, and your success will be automatic", not quite realizing that trick doesnt work unless you have all of stebes other virtues running alongside it

scott forstall (the irl one, not the yosposter) tried that in stebes absence and he ended up on the street a year later lmfao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fabricated posted:

Effete tech shitheads seem unable to imagine being able to survive without being right in the middle of the largest metro areas on earth. What do you MEAN I don't have 25 $10 cocktail bars to choose from any given night!? I have to DRIVE to get groceries?? You mean I might have to live across from a REPUBLICAN?

to be fair all those things sound terrible

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gazpacho posted:

phony poser FMguru focused this on pacifica not me
ive asked you several times to give some examples of the radio stations youre talking about and youve pointedly failed to do so

why is that?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
because it would be off topic dueder, i'm sure you'd love to see me walk into a probation with rotor right here but nah

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

FMguru posted:

why is that?

yospos bithc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

What do you MEAN I don't have 25 $10 cocktail bars to choose from any given night!?

lol if you think there are any $10 cocktail bars in sf

that or cocktail bars in dc are approaching manhattan levels of pricing faster than sf :smithicide:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can find $10 cocktail bars in sf. not right next to union square or in soma or whatever but there are several i can think of. and some in the $11-12 range that are just fantastic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theadder posted:

yospos bithc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

p much

there are a lot of business lessons you can take from stebes life and career (sweat the details, question assumptions, look for new markets instead of crashing into long-settled ones, etc), but the one they chose was "be a unreasonable, demanding, manipulative rear end in a top hat to everyone at all times, and your success will be automatic", not quite realizing that trick doesnt work unless you have all of stebes other virtues running alongside it

scott forstall (the irl one, not the yosposter) tried that in stebes absence and he ended up on the street a year later lmfao

they also forget that stebe spent a lot of time running companies into the ground when he didn't have proper bases to work from

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

lol if you think there are any $10 cocktail bars in sf
Are you using the phrase in some special sense because in the literal sense yes there are, at particular times anyway

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

because it would be off topic dueder, i'm sure you'd love to see me walk into a probation with rotor right here but nah

Forums Rules of Conduct

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Post the stations and stop calling other people posers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
NeXT stebe ideology also forgets, or misconstrues, the fact that he once clobbered apples bottom line on purpose while chasing his sexycomputer dream and suffered consequences

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the wilderness years

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
i don't have a facebook account is the new i don't have a tv

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

NeXT stebe ideology also forgets, or misconstrues, the fact that he once clobbered apples bottom line on purpose while chasing his sexycomputer dream and suffered consequences

NeXT was a failed company that would have liquidated if not for the apple acquisition

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I have a magazine cover story about the NeXT rollout w the following tidbits:

- he had the factory painting process redone several times because it produced a finish he didn't like
- during the press demo he would say thing like "I really like this shade of green" (the screen phosphor color) and his entourage of yes-men would agree that it was, indeed, an ideal shade of green

Secrets of success

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the yospos green??????

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
This is why yospos gets no venture capital. The background is ever so slightly the wrong shade of black

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

- he had the factory painting process redone several times because it produced a finish he didn't like

yes, this attitude is why apple products don't look like poo poo and fall apart and all the paint wears off and the metal is just silver painted plastic that breaks after a month like a pc. it is a good thing.

Gazpacho posted:

- during the press demo he would say thing like "I really like this shade of green" (the screen phosphor color) and his entourage of yes-men would agree that it was, indeed, an ideal shade of green

this doesn't reflect poorly on the products, though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

yes, this attitude is why apple products don't look like poo poo and fall apart and all the paint wears off and the metal is just silver painted plastic that breaks after a month like a pc. it is a good thing.

except apple products do look like poo poo and do fall apart constantly, to the point that there needs to be a specialized network of stores to fix them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

yes it does, the products were and are bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

except apple products do look like poo poo and do fall apart constantly, to the point that there needs to be a specialized network of stores to fix them

he's on a roll!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

This is why yospos gets no venture capital. The background is ever so slightly the wrong shade of black

let us pray to ive that he might alter the css

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Are you using the phrase in some special sense because in the literal sense yes there are, at particular times anyway

when i think cocktail bar though i think artisanal places with super specailty cocktails, not bars where i can order a rum and coke for < $10

dc certainly does not have anything like that for under :10bux:

except maybe happy hour

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well I paid 12bux for a maitai last night in sf and have paid similarly at other downtown places but those are at ticketed music events so perhaps not relevant to what you mean

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If it were not for Apple's success and hero worship it inspired I cannot imagine that the jobs micromanaging rear end in a top hat personality would get you very far with Vcs so in a way Steve is to blame for tech going from being filled with dreamy eyed but partially clueless geeks stumbling upon worth to a honeypot for misanthropic libertarian narcissists backstabbing the poo poo out of anyone in their way. Which is wonderful because it will make the bubble implosion that much more enjoyable to watch.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mishaq posted:

when i think cocktail bar though i think artisanal places with super specailty cocktails, not bars where i can order a rum and coke for < $10

dc certainly does not have anything like that for under :10bux:

except maybe happy hour

Definitely not less than $10 but have you been to PX in Alexandria? Some serious skill there.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i dunno what i mean

but i always just assume laughably overpriced things in dc are just slightly more laughably overpriced in the bay area

who knows maybe we're ahead at this point

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shifty Pony posted:

If it were not for Apple's success and hero worship it inspired I cannot imagine that the jobs micromanaging rear end in a top hat personality would get you very far with Vcs so in a way Steve is to blame for tech going from being filled with dreamy eyed but partially clueless geeks stumbling upon worth to a honeypot for misanthropic libertarian narcissists backstabbing the poo poo out of anyone in their way. Which is wonderful because it will make the bubble implosion that much more enjoyable to watch.

my theory is that jobs wasn't especially good at doing whatever tech ceos are supposed to do, but he tried a bunch of times and hit the lottery jackpot once, so everybody decided that he was a genius :shrug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Libertarianism was a thing in the valley before jobs returned to Apple and before he demonstrated success again, either created or blown up to new proportions by the American dream / "Wall Street is on your side" tropes that dominated during the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

prefect posted:

my theory is that jobs wasn't especially good at doing whatever tech ceos are supposed to do, but he tried a bunch of times and hit the lottery jackpot once, so everybody decided that he was a genius :shrug:

Jobs Theorist

• Locked thread