Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

advertisers have been doing this poo poo forever and ever Facebook just provided a previously unheard of sample size to play with. the only surprising part is that they published an academic paper of people to get all up in arms about this.

they did it in association with federally funded university researchers so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i blame the VCs for looking for the next stebe everywhere. so now everybody has to keep saying that "they're the next steve jobs" so much that they're actually starting to believe it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oooh, we playing name random rust belt flyover cities?

Toledo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in irc everyone is stymie or fishmech

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is precisely why you don't sleep with people you work with.

what about hiring someone you sleep with

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Egan Yardley posted:

you can photocopy an iphone screen?

thats almost certainly from a court filing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I kept having dreams that I couldn't graduate college because I hadn't actually completed high school and needed to somehow take a high school class

or something, dreams are weird

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Egan Yardley posted:

hell yeah this thread owns i love trains and ptsd

trigger warning: train ptsd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't watch judge judy often but whenever it's on in the background it's always a hilariously lopsided case like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NYC food safety standards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtvIRYWz1g

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

works for tokyo, won't fix

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

japan is like the end state of silicon valley - work for 18 hours a day, crash for a few hours in an apartment the size of a bed, repeat until you jump into a rush hour chuo line limited express

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chum Scandal posted:

taxi drivers don't buy new lexus completely on financing lmao

right, they lease them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

He's our assigned Secret Service monitor.

i thought it was nsa

reminder: people in D&D internet spying thread literally thought he was a NSA plant

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/social-networking-stock-exploded-25-215433473.html

this company has one employee, no products, no revenue, is traded OTC, hasn't filed an SEC form since 2013, and may not even exist anymore

it's up 25,000% since last month

tech bubble lol

thats just a classic pump and dump

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

but seriously imagine what it would be like for fishmech if wikipedia had never existed.

without Wikipedia he'd have to live in a university library

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm trying to figure out where this has ever actually been true, other than maybe ibm loving up wrt the early pc market. but that was just massive hubris, plenty of people saw where that was going to go

most early implementations of technology gets the reaction of "lol why would i use that" because early implementations are universally terrible or severely restricted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i was thinking severely restricted as in 19th century automobiles not some holy war about things already universally useful (cell phones)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

pyf stupid motivational quote

but he gave them faster horses

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i refuse to let henry loving ford become a culture hero in america.

look at this blasphemy still exists in 106 AF

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Socracheese posted:

reminder that henry ford recieved a medal from hitler for being such a batshit anti-semite rear end in a top hat

the entire western world was a bunch of anti-semites until the holocaust

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

also nobody hates the germans anymore

lets ask brazil

ffff beaten

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

i will tell you about the rabbits rotor

but first you have to tell me about curley's wife

she's a woman in a Steinbeck book, so she's an incidental 1 dimensional character with no development that exists solely for a single plot point

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

things that shouldn't count as gaap expenses: payments to employees and governments

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

"ur doing it wrong" is a surprisingly common refrain at apple

they do it for other defects, and they do it for refund cases for their lovely charger cables

i just dont get people praising their customer support. you only stand a chance of not being treated like a sub-human mongrel, if you have applecare+++

its the same support with/without applecare

also, the answer is indeed "you're holding it wrong" because that is a physical limitation of the hardware, theres no other option unless you want to buy a different phone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought they were working on the App Store at the time of launch but were nowhere near ready and needed apps now so Steve did the hard sell on web apps

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

corded apple mouse? huh?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what about tebow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

let's hope NO can levee a tax on Uber before they're swamped by an ocean of unlicensed drivers

i'm not exactly sure how new orleans roads could be any worse

i guess they could put land mines in or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

it is a taxi service

as someone else previously sperged out about, it's a limousine aka car service. they do not pick up hails or stand around waiting for someone, they only pick up a customer based on the customer's request to a central dispatch

of course car services are regulated, but outside NYC it doesn't seem to be that strict

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in my experience there are good startups everywhere but the "startup scene" is full of dumb poo poo

my boss presented to some angels at a "startup scene" event once and was very confused at the lack of business logic behind everyone else there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unfortunately every modern toyota i've rented has felt like cheap junk

no comment on honda other than my 15 year old accord is starting to slowly fall apart (water leaking into trunk, hvac controls randomly disconnecting) but thats a pretty good run and not relevant for today's cars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah yes the computer that optimizes the clutch clearly makes me less of a man

real extreme carpilots should always be distracted by rpm management during highspeed maneuvers in rush hour stop and go traffic

yes just leave the autopilot on all the time *crashes into sea wall*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

clearly if you ride in an airplane you should know how to fix a jet turbine

we're talking about driving

and clearly pilots don't need to know about crap like propellor pitch and fuel/air mixture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

madeupfred posted:

So what's the deal with Silicon Valley trying to secede from California?

its not, some republican is trying to gerrymander the US senate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i remember one of the facts about the old world trade center is that each tower had its own zip code

that means each floor had its own +4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

nah the senate exists because jefferson or whoever had a boner for ancient rome and didn't want the poors in the house to get uppity and try to do things the landed gentry didn't like

strangely only the landed gentry could vote at the time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I really wish there was some sort of generalized silicon valley web 3.5 startup hedge fund so I could short it

http://money.usnews.com/funds/etfs/small-cap-funds/global-x-social-media-index-fund/socl

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

As a large and important city, that's not surprising!

noooooooooooo

nuke the thread before it starts again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how is uber's original black car service different from their current services?

• Locked thread