Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

you can photocopy an iphone screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

hell yeah this thread owns i love trains and ptsd

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

yeah just generally being in school as an american is pretty frightening. its like the most popular place for some crazed rear end in a top hat with a gun to have some fun before offing himself and you are a sitting duck.

but i mean tests and stuff suck too!!

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

corbett gets things wrong sometimes but sometimes not

not loving the taxi industry and also planning to privatize pa's archaic as gently caress liquor stores are pretty good examples of not loving up

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

double sulk posted:

wait, so i'll finally be able to buy liquor after 5pm on sundays?

i haven't seen anything w/r/t store hour restrictions, but beer distributors will be the only place in pa where you can 1-stop shop for beer wine and liquor.

unfortunately, grocery stores still require a restaurant license to sell liquor, and beer distributors will continue to be the only place to get beer in the state.

baby steps :smith:

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

good posts but tragically misinformed

1) beer distros will be the first to get a chance at a liquor license. yes, these licenses (as well as the price for a beer distro license) will be highly valued. it's simply (limited) supply and demand, and is unavoidable unless pa decides to let every tom dick and harry run a liquor store.

2) the taxpayers are the ones paying the wages and benefits for state owned liquor stores. we're saving money here, not losing it. it's not like we've stopped taxing liquor sales.

3) state owned liquor stores will only start to be shuttered when wine and spirit stores + grocery liquor store numbers double the amount of state owned liquor stores. also, displaced liquor store workers will be able to cash in on the following benefits:
  • Displaced state store employees receive three additional points on Civil Service exam
  • Preferential treatment given for state jobs that don’t require Civil Service exam, as long as employee has necessary skills
  • $1,000 per year grant for part-time education
  • $2,000 per year grant for full-time education
  • $2,000 per year (for 2 years) tax credit for those hiring displaced workers, something no other person in the job market will have.

I think it's a Good Idea.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

unionized retail workers are not sustainable. sry about ur bleeding heart

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i don't like it when someone gets paid godo money and benefits to do less work than me

e:

quote:

I suspect your real reasoning is, "I can buy whiskey for $2 less!" That's dumb and selfish and you're dumb and selfish.
I don't even drink. I just want this dumbass state to not be in poo poo that doesn't matter and just ties up money.

Egan Yardley fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 2, 2014

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

it is the silicon valley of the east coast

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Necc0 posted:

drat it only took like three posts for the crab-in-bucket justification to come out

gj being a shithead

it was a joke post, sorry

i worked at a unionized supermarket for a few years and learned enough to form an opinion. they gave me the best health insurance i've ever had from any of my jobs, though.

anyway, privatized liquor isn't going to be the end of the state. i don't get how you think less overhead and less costs with the same taxes will result in an utter crater. 70% of the revenue the state makes goes back into purchasing stock anyway

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

im secretly a conservative radio talkshow host. you found me out.

e: in retrospect any money that's going to be saved on this is probably just gonna go to a big ol tax break instead of something important like transportation so gently caress it

Egan Yardley fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

ok for starters, where this is even allowed (typically it's restricted to blighted property) it's still almost always required to be used for civic benefit such as if you're expanding a port
philadelphia loves to use eminent domain to steal land from blacks/immigrants but like half the city is considered blighted so

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

if i were a sv-ite id retire to texas to become a nerdy cowboy

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

graph posted:

hows the piss smell in nyc? should be raging by now

every carpark is like a bouquet of piss aromas

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i know a guy who has like the only cj job in billings montana and he lives like a goddamn fuckin king on $75k/yr

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

bring the tech to billings

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

london, much like myself, is gay.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

if you're a hooker and you're gonna merc someone you should probably check for cameras first

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

quote:

Former Google head Eric Schmidt once argued that the entire amount of knowledge from the beginning of humankind until 2003 amount to only five exabytes
i don't think this is true but google man said so so ill believe it

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's like they just pulled a sack off your head and you're tied up in a room full of cats"
don't lost my dream scenario

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

ppl tend to assume that because it isn't the top steel producer anymore that it's a disheveled husk of a once booming economic powerhouse similar to detroit

but unlike detroit pittsburgh didn't put all its eggs in 1 basket

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

what technology is this, exactly, and why can't it be circumvented? is it related to onstar or something?
you see this a lot where i used to live (poortown), and it happened way before smartphones were a thing

idk if the old version works off radio or cellular (still radio, lol) but remote disabling cars belonging to past due accounts has been happening for a while

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i think its a thing that plugs into OBD II but im not certain because i've personally seen it happen to late 80s/early 90s cars

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

rotor posted:

"but rotor I don't just have 30k laying around!!" I hear you say. Well, then don't buy a 30k car is my advice.

with a tap on the bongos, the sound of snapping fingers fills the room

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

blue route is a good example of how to cave into moneyed pressure to only claim eminent domain on places that aren't owned by rich white people and the entire thing is a shitfuck as a result

im probably just salty because i have to drive it everyday

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

"I've had this apartment since 1951. 1500 square feet for 300 a month in NYC. Put the candlestick down, Jay."
"What?"
"You were gonna kill me and take my apartment."
*mid swing* "I was?"

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

King C. Gillette, buster of beards

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

its hard to pin down if tori hates fat people or facial hair more

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

IM COOL AS A loving CUCUMBER YOU UNSOCIALIZED SWINE

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

A short person can't grow no matter how much they'd like to.

what about that surgery where they break your shins and install a little knob that breaks your shins again and moves them apart slightly over a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

quote:

Let me tell you a story about one of my employees in the Philippines. I hired Klarc to help me build a habit: at 10:00 every day, he would call me and remind me to floss my teeth.

some people would pay a lotta money to get them to not do bad habits

imagine calling tori for permission to eat when trying to lose weight

"a...cheeseburger? are you serious, you fat gently caress? no. no cheeseburgers. when you're under 150lbs and have a powerful rear end, then you can have cheeseburgers. get the salad instead, fatty"

multi-billion dollar business opportunity

• Locked thread