Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i'm gay stymie.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Egan Yardley posted:

corbett gets things wrong sometimes but sometimes not

not loving the taxi industry and also planning to privatize pa's archaic as gently caress liquor stores are pretty good examples of not loving up

wait, so i'll finally be able to buy liquor after 5pm on sundays?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

As quickly as Uber has grown, it's hardly been easy street for the startup. The car-booking service has faced massive protests from cabbies in Europe. It's been the target of lawsuits and regulatory scrutiny in the U.S. And it now finds itself in a race to hire drivers, dangling $1,000 bonuses to lure them away from rivals.

Amid all of that, Bill Maris, the managing partner of Google Ventures, which is an investor in Uber, said the long-term market value of the company could be “$200 billion or more.”

For context, that’s roughly the market value of Toyota.

Maris, who founded the venture capital arm of Google in 2009, said he “was pounding the table” in enthusiasm for investing in Uber this year, similar to last year.

Google Ventures re-invested in the San Francisco-based company this year when it raised $1.2 billion at a $17 billion valuation, after it led last year’s funding of $258 million at a valuation of $3.5 billion. Uber is now in more than 140 cities globally.

“I am confident in Travis and his team,” Maris told Bloomberg News in an interview at Fortune’s Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, Colorado. “His vision is huge and he has showed he can execute,” Maris said of Uber’s co-founder Travis Kalanick.

As Uber disrupts the transportation market around the world, it's also experimenting with delivery services and could become a huge logistics company with a market value of $200 billion or more, said Maris.

“It’s an incredibly creative team -- their growth shows they are clearly onto something,” he said of Uber. But Maris also warned that, like any startup, "it could also go down to zero.”

Google Ventures has $1.5 billion under management with investments in about 250 technology companies, from health care to consumer Internet. Twenty of its portfolio companies have either gone public, such as RetailMeNot, or were acquired, such as Nest Labs.

Asked about a bubble in technology valuations, Maris said: “It’s inevitable the market is going correct by 20 percent, this year or next. The business cycle is a fact of life.”

Aside from transportation, Maris said Google is also looking at education, manufacturing and 3D printing.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Fifty-five of the luxury complex's 219 units would be marked for low-income renters—netting some valuable tax breaks for Extell—with the caveat that the less fortunate tenants would stick to their own entrance.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

am i crazy or did ashton kutcher photoshop the score on here

hobbesmaster posted:

also his name

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

You could argue Dropbox is one of them, but they'll end up being outdone by someone soon enough. The iCloud drive will probably be a big success if Apple pushes it even a little bit.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hahaha a half a billion dollar loan

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

icloud drive will go nowhere as long as its not working well with 95% of computers, 80% of phones, and 55% of tablets

The other 5%, 20%, and 45% don't have the money/desire to pay for any other service any way, so who cares?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

"The Bank of America payroll system we used was automatically withholding the payroll taxes from all of our paychecks every two weeks. It then just left that money in our company's bank account instead of sending it to the government because I never discovered the "submit tax" button."

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I seriously can not get over how loving dumb that guy is. Just lol that you can run a loving company for three years with presumably millions of dollars in funding before deciding to hire an accountant.

startups.txt I guess

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

whatever you idiots do, don't link the post you're talking about

http://sethbannon.com/mistakes-you-should-never-make

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

i live for piss

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

company will pay for a rental but gently caress driving in places like nyc

NYC is really not all that bad to drive in.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

philly_parking.jpg

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rotor posted:

first time I ever drove in sf I drove a manual and somehow always ended up driving on the muni tracks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

A mod probated by he own rule

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

lmao

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I love appetizers.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Zillow is buying Trulia for 3.5bn dollars.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I used to drive an F-150 and it sucked real bad. By the time we got rid of it the thing was crapping out all the time.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://valleywag.gawker.com/this-guy-just-burned-marc-andreessen-into-the-next-mill-1612243820/all

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Speak of the devil:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Catch-a-Philly-Taxi-With-a-New-App--268891101.html

Freedom Taxi has the nicest cabs in the city and now I don't need to use Uber.

Gee, it's almost as if all the cab companies have to do is... make an app???? :wth:

e: It's Freedom Taxi, not Cab

double sulk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 29, 2014

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

And Sam Altman is an even bigger idiot than Andreessen:

quote:

Taking uberX everywhere is now cheaper for me than owning a car.

I first played around with one of those web calculators and was so surprised by the result I sharpened my pencil and did it myself with more precise numbers. It was not quite as dramatic as the rough calculation but Uber still wins. I linked to the spreadsheet below for anyone curious; change the yellow fields to your own numbers if you'd like.

A few notes:

*I live in San Francisco and drive a Tesla Roadster. It costs about $10 to charge (on average, sometimes I pay peak rates and sometimes not) for about 200 miles of range.

If I can easily take the Caltrain to the south bay (about half the time), then I do, otherwise I drive or take Uber. My total annual spend on Caltrain is a few hundred dollars.

*My cost per mile is probably lower than most peoples', but is somewhat neutralized by the higher depreciation which is partly due to battery pack degradation.

*Uber may raise the rates on uberX, which could swing my particular calculation back in favor of ownership.

*I used an average cost per mile for uberX of $2, which is a good average for me including time and minimum fares (it's much more on short trips, but a little under $1.50 on long trips).

This of course leaves out the huge intangible of how much nicer it is not to drive and instead work/text/think/whatever.

This calculation is why I think Uber is still undervalued. The people who say Uber is only worth $4 billion or whatever don't think enough about people like me who will go from spending ~$500 a year on taxis and car service to ~$12,000 now that the experience and cost have reached a tipping point.

Or, you know, you could just hire a personal driver who has a long standing reputation instead of plucking a random individual off of a service that has no liabilities whatsoever every single time you want to go somewhere.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

meanwhile the airbnb squatter is rolling with the punches

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Still on the UPS truck somewhere

:negative:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

You might say that Overstock is full of Ideas Men!

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7tMD3ufKI&hd=1

lmao is this a Tim and Eric skit

I'm the fake British accent and also the non-threatening black man nodding his head to make a loving flower purchase from a guy who happens to have an iPad and is using this currently "in public beta" payment system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gonna put it here because this is a bigger thread than the HN one, but Valleywag once again owns:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/why-does-google-employ-a-pro-slavery-lunatic-1612868507/+laceydonohue

• Locked thread