Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Remind me what zoiderberg is doing for the world besides pumping money into tech toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
That pales to what page and brine would like to do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

teamdest posted:

This is awesome and horrifying and in twenty years we will wish we could come back to this moment in time and change something, anything, but we cant and its just too late

Or maybe just not have a face book account? :smug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Idk wat yenc is but I assume its v closely connected with php

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

there are many things that are awesome about the bay area

our public radio stations are not among them
if by "public" you mean "listener supported" broadly then you are so wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

the classical station is p cool, but it broadcasts using a couple of twisted-together coat hangers attached to a 12v truck battery

or are you talking about pacifica in which case lmfao
bay area bourgeois reactionary spotted

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the "next stebe" ideology is a pita when you get interviewed by anyone who believes it. i don't mean in the sense that they see themselves as the next stebe (which they do) but more importantly they are rating you on their personal stebe scale

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

pacifica is a loving train wreck: http://www.laweekly.com/2014-03-20/news/left-wing-darling-pacifica-radio-is-sliding-into-the-abyss/?showFullText=true

its also mostly taken over by people selling woo woo "herbal" remedies that THEY dont want you to know about
i don't suppose it matters in your (James) Randian worldview that i don't listen to those particular programs. it's such a terrible thing, if you turn on the radio in the bay you might hear something that (1) isn't top 40 (2) doesn't glorify european culture (3) deviates from the washington PR lines :qq:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
its me, i;m the real FM guru

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
phony poser FMguru focused this on pacifica not me

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
because it would be off topic dueder, i'm sure you'd love to see me walk into a probation with rotor right here but nah

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

lol if you think there are any $10 cocktail bars in sf
Are you using the phrase in some special sense because in the literal sense yes there are, at particular times anyway

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
NeXT stebe ideology also forgets, or misconstrues, the fact that he once clobbered apples bottom line on purpose while chasing his sexycomputer dream and suffered consequences

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I have a magazine cover story about the NeXT rollout w the following tidbits:

- he had the factory painting process redone several times because it produced a finish he didn't like
- during the press demo he would say thing like "I really like this shade of green" (the screen phosphor color) and his entourage of yes-men would agree that it was, indeed, an ideal shade of green

Secrets of success

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
This is why yospos gets no venture capital. The background is ever so slightly the wrong shade of black

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well I paid 12bux for a maitai last night in sf and have paid similarly at other downtown places but those are at ticketed music events so perhaps not relevant to what you mean

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Libertarianism was a thing in the valley before jobs returned to Apple and before he demonstrated success again, either created or blown up to new proportions by the American dream / "Wall Street is on your side" tropes that dominated during the 90s

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Libertarianism is not a requirement to work in the bay now, but certain material interests are served and certain egos stroked by promoting those beliefs as the only ones in the valley that matter

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Space-Pope posted:

i had to google what this is and lmfao. this is like the mra thing but applied to politics, in that its a bunch of white guys trying to blame everyone but themselves for why theyre such losers
Just wait til u see what their code looks like

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

i just have a hard time believing ceos deserve credit for most of what their companies do. maybe they sign off on designs, but the actual work is done by a big pile of people. it's not one genius who single-handedly does everything
you shouldn't believe it, because it's well documented that woz was the leading talent behind apple 8-bit while jobs contribution was shooting the breeze and making deals, and then jef raskin was the main visionary for the macintosh while steve's role was putting the company behind him so hard that it missed earnings

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I think it would be great to have a thread about the bay's ongoing capitalist madness, a thread for endlessly tearing down the jobs myth not so much

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
guess i'm showing my age but i can't help but read every message that uses "u" as if it were being said by a cartoon character

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ride sharing is such a thrilling concept for anyone who has never directly experienced public transit in their lives

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Squinty Applebottom posted:

wish you would L this F

(leave this forum)
:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004