Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It was pretty good. I had not seen even a second of the movie until today. I feel like I missed out not being able to see it when it first came out, there was some legitimately impressive stuff that still stands up 16 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUt6dIGdGLg

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I would've thought it hadn't aged well. I still really love the scene at the beginning where Morpheus first contacts him with the fed exed phone.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it was a good movie but i havent seen it since i was 12. glad to hear it holds up well op

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
if you stop there you will be able to like the matrix so stop there

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Apparition posted:

I would've thought it hadn't aged well. I still really love the scene at the beginning where Morpheus first contacts him with the fed exed phone.

The ghosting and slow motion bullets were really cool! And like, the slow motion/fast motion fighting was cool too, but a little too clunky to get into.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

you're so edgy :D

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
what if we are living in the matrix?????

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Woah

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Stop while you're ahead. The first one is fantastic, the rest suck.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

turdriver posted:

what if we are living in the matrix?????

whoa

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
surprisingly worth your time: The animatrix

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

if you stop there you will be able to like the matrix so stop there

Legit advice. I am serious.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Cyra posted:

Beyond is the best. Must watch.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think one of the kindest things you can do for another person in this life is to warn them not to watch the Matrix sequels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you don't watch the rest of the series you will never understand what the matrix was really abll about.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think one of the kindest things you can do for another person in this life is to warn them not to watch the Matrix sequels.

The Architect disagrees!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why did they make sequels? I think the whole thing wrapped itself up nicely, Neo will help people get out of the machine. Stuff about multiple airships and possibly multiple "Ones" is interesting, but I don't think it needed to be elaborated on, it's fine just as world building.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

madeupfred posted:

Why did they make sequels?

Short answer: money

Long answer: moooooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
To be fair, the highway chase is good.

That's it though.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Short answer: money

Long answer: moooooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy

What did the sequels add to the story?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
When I was a teenager I was convinced that The Matrix was the single greatest trilogy since the original Star Wars

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

madeupfred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrPP-HPPeo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I never saw the Matrix until I entered this thread. Now I know Kung Fu

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

madeupfred posted:

Roughly 4 hours.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think they honestly had an artistic vision, something they wanted to do with the sequels

it's just that they were terrible at it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

madeupfred posted:

Why did they make sequels? I think the whole thing wrapped itself up nicely, Neo will help people get out of the machine. Stuff about multiple airships and possibly multiple "Ones" is interesting, but I don't think it needed to be elaborated on, it's fine just as world building.

you're right, just stop where you're at

as someone that liked the sequals: they meander a lot and are confusing and have neat stuff in them but overall the original stands on its own as a great movie and just gets muddied by the other 2. they try to do some cool things that don't end up really going anywhere or getting fleshed out in a satisfactory way really.

I don't really think they were a money grab. They're still entertaining movies. but man the first Matrix is so good by itself.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hobohemian posted:

Stop while you're ahead. The first one is fantastic, the rest suck.

Dis.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

madeupfred posted:

neo is cyber jesus and the humans spend all their time having raves in a cave

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think they honestly had an artistic vision, something they wanted to do with the sequels

it's just that they were terrible at it

yea, and i think that makes it even more painful to watch. the wachowskis probably thought they were producing great cinema

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Club Hell in Revolutions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
stop lying to him. the matrix was envisioned as a trilogy. that's why they made sequels. the first one stands on its own because they didn't know if it would be successful enough to tell the whole story.

the second movie is amazing. the third, well, you just have to see it to understand. there is an orgy.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

madeupfred posted:

a love story, hackneyed religious allegory, star wars-ish flying ship battles, dragon ball z powering up, fight sequences that looked like a 3d fighting game's attract mode.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when neo stops the sentinel with his mind powers in the real world I was all like 'whaaaaaaat they're in a matrix in a matrix' but no it was just some convoluted something that I don't even remember.

sequels could have been some inception poo poo or something

Waltzing Along posted:

the second movie is amazing. the third, well, you just have to see it to understand.

yeah.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Cyra posted:

No joke this was maybe the best thing to come out of the whole mess. Also the Enter the Matrix game for Xbox/PS2 which had awful gameplay but the story was actually alright and filled in a lot of gaps.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

when neo stops the sentinel with his mind powers in the real world I was all like 'whaaaaaaat they're in a matrix in a matrix' but no it was just some convoluted something that I don't even remember.

sequels could have been some inception poo poo or something

i think it was like he was still "jacked in" but not, cus he's stuck in the subway thing, but then it turns out he's jesus anyway idk

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Good work OP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mud Shark posted:

No joke this was maybe the best thing to come out of the whole mess. Also the Enter the Matrix game for Xbox/PS2 which had awful gameplay but the story was actually alright and filled in a lot of gaps.

was that the one with the little hacking minigame or whatever at the main menu that let you unlock things

poo poo was great

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqx01bwiM10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cyra posted:

i think it was like he was still "jacked in" but not, cus he's stuck in the subway thing, but then it turns out he's jesus anyway idk

that scene was the end of the second one right

what if instead of the whole third movie they just do a 'holy poo poo we and the machines we are fighting in the 'real world' are both being duped and we're both in another matrix' and in the real real world it's just like one machine AI left or something that's totally started to lose it since sentience comes with the possibility of mental illness (or whatever) and it's just all alone after the huge war going 'I've finally WON.' having successfully locked away all other intelligences into a virtual reality they are unaware of.

• Locked thread