Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Whats the latest someone has attempted an unironic bullet time parody?

That would probably require watching the recent Movie Movies, because only they would be dumb enough to still try this.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's because they were ripping off Dark City :troll:

At least Dark City was awesome and knew when to quit on a high note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

When I saw this movie in the theater there were several scenes where it is obvious that the front of the dress is transparent, as a result I can't remember what was happening in those scenes.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's because they were ripping off Dark City :troll:

I really enjoy Dark City, if you have to pick a movie with Dragonball Z battles I would recommend it over the Matrix sequels.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

even if the sequels are really bad there are still some cool scenes like the fight on the freeway

out there on the internet there's a fan edit of the sequels called "the matrix dezionized" that cuts out all sorts of real world bullshit and stitches them together into one movie and it's better that way

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Short answer: money

Long answer: moooooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy

i mean, yeah, but the reason the sequels sucked is they got caught all caught up in their 'artistic vision' and sniffed their own farts enough that they forgot about things like 'narrative' and 'believable dialogue' and 'interesting characters'

it's basically the george lucas effect. a director who wasn't emotionally attached to the material could have probably made the sequels into something decent, but as it is they are and will remain a jumbled mess

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Trixie Hardcore posted:

When I saw this movie in the theater there were several scenes where it is obvious that the front of the dress is transparent, as a result I can't remember what was happening in those scenes.

agreeded

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Look, I'm not going to lie. I would have sex with Lana Wachowski.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bolian Blues posted:

Look, I'm not going to lie. I would have sex with Lana Wachowski.

In the original draft of the script one of the characters was a different sex outside of the matrix than they were in it, but she cut that subplot because it didn't have anything to do with the plot and was a waste of time in the movie even if it was something that was personally important to her.

which makes her more mature and less self-absorbed than literally every other transgendered writer on the planet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Was Cloud Atlas any good?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the original draft of the script one of the characters was a different sex outside of the matrix than they were in it, but she cut that subplot because it didn't have anything to do with the plot and was a waste of time in the movie even if it was something that was personally important to her.

which makes her more mature and less self-absorbed than literally every other transgendered writer on the planet

yeah, that isn't actually true.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

yeah, that isn't actually true.

Yeah it's never been confirmed but it's a nice idea. I think the rumor was that it was the character Switch, which would make sense because she's called Switch and looks kinda androgynous

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

etalian posted:

Some say it was

Some say it wasn't

Some say it was kind of mediocre. I'm one of these peoples

I hope this helped

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

etalian posted:

No.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

etalian posted:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Cloud Atlas is all the evidence you need that the first Matrix was a fluke.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Growing up, Neo was a... Virtual Boy?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

The Matrix was a ripoff of Neopets.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I remember seeing the trailer for the first one in the cinema and thinking

whoah

but for some reason I didn't see the film until I ended up with a well-worn VHS of it. I really liked it at the time, despite the various suspension-of-disbelief-suspendingly stupid premises, though obviously the sequels just sucked.

Then, but a month ago, a friend came to stay with me for a few days stated that we should watch the first film because she "wanted to check out the philosophy". I warned her that there was none, and by this point I was able to look back with wisdom and observe that the film isn't actually much good, but she insisted. Sure enough, the film was as awful as I had anticipated and, to add insult to injury, she fell asleep about halfway through.

In conclusion: I wish I'd seen the first film for the first time in an actual cinema, I wish I'd never seen the sequels, and I recommend that you never re-watch the first film, because it just does not stand up to modern standards. Having said that, I have not seen any recent blockbusters, which could be just as bad, so maybe people with low standards might still like it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Placid Marmot posted:

we should watch the first film because she "wanted to check out the philosophy".

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

She wanted to gently caress you dude

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It really does stand up to modern standards as modern action movies fuckin blow

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

Randandal posted:

lmao look at this rear end in a top hat that would rather gently caress than watch the matrix

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

Sure enough, the film was as awful as I had anticipated and, to add insult to injury, she fell asleep about halfway through.

In conclusion: I wish I'd seen the first film for the first time in an actual cinema, I wish I'd never seen the sequels, and I recommend that you never re-watch the first film, because it just does not stand up to modern standards. Having said that, I have not seen any recent blockbusters, which could be just as bad, so maybe people with low standards might still like it.

This has everything:

- Watching movies is done at the "cinema", not theater.
- "My friend fell asleep during an action movie that I didn't like."
- This movie does not stand up to modern standards (like what?).
- Only people with low standards would like it.

Your friend falling asleep was either

- retarded
- tired to be begin with and you didn't turn up the volume
- shitthatdidnthappen.txt

Come to think of it, people like you don't have any friends, so it was probably your reflection in the mirror.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

You ruined the Matrix for yourself by not having sex during it. That's not the movie's fault.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

It really does stand up to modern standards as modern action movies fuckin blow

Agent Smith was right

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

flavor posted:

- Watching movies is done at the "cinema", not theater.
Watching plays is done in a "theater". Watching films is done in a "cinema".

flavor posted:

- "My friend fell asleep during an action movie that I didn't like."
Your friend falling asleep was either
- retarded

flavor posted:

- This movie does not stand up to modern standards (like what?).
- Only people with low standards would like it.

Bad acting, as in, actual bad acting from all of the actors. Do they still let actors get away with this in summer action flicks?
Stiff fight scenes where people seem to deliberately have their attacks blocked [note: somewhat impressive that Keanu had neck surgery during or shortly before shooting, I suppose]
Drawn-out sequences, like the chase at the start, which seem slow and clunky these days.
Pseudo-philosophical nonsense in attempt to self-justify.
I specifically stated that the sillyness of the plot was acceptable, despite the stupid premises like defying the laws of thermodynamics (humans acting as power sources), defying the laws of thermodynamics (the entire planet somehow having cooled from ~3000 degrees average temperature to a point where humans can only inhabit the core, in a space of... was it 150 years from now?), nonsensical (i.e. existing only so that they can be plotted around) restrictions on how the Matrix can be altered, how agents have to have a human "host", etc... ok, I'll stop with the stupid premises, my point is that these are things that distract people of average+ intelligence from the film itself. This is bad film-making.
What have I covered? Acting, plot, premises, direction/editing, fight scenes... that will do. Like I said - it was a fun film to watch a long time ago, but if I were to watch it fresh again, I would be bored and frustrated.

flavor posted:

- tired to be begin with and you didn't turn up the volume
I was actually embarrassed to have the sound so high, since it was already late and I didn't want to disturb my flatmates. My stupid friend has some kind of addiction to watching things on glowing rectangles, so when I'm cooking, she's watching youtube videos one after another; when I'm cooking the next day, she's watching youtube again and my housemate actually comments on this; when we could be going out so she can do touristy stuff in my city [note: we live about a thousand miles apart now, fortunately, and she had never been here before], she wants to watch South Park on youtube at either 120% speed or 80% speed instead. Well, I have plenty more complaints about her, best summarized by saying that over three years ago I said to another friend that I was thinking of friend-dumping her. Maybe she thinks the same about me, but she says she wants to visit again this summer, so...

Randandal posted:

That stage of our relationship was nearly five years ago.

Wait, is this thread in e/n?
Can a mod move it to e/n please?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Placid Marmot posted:

Watching plays is done in a "theater". Watching films is done in a "cinema".

Bad acting, as in, actual bad acting from all of the actors. Do they still let actors get away with this in summer action flicks?
Stiff fight scenes where people seem to deliberately have their attacks blocked [note: somewhat impressive that Keanu had neck surgery during or shortly before shooting, I suppose]
Drawn-out sequences, like the chase at the start, which seem slow and clunky these days.
Pseudo-philosophical nonsense in attempt to self-justify.
I specifically stated that the sillyness of the plot was acceptable, despite the stupid premises like defying the laws of thermodynamics (humans acting as power sources), defying the laws of thermodynamics (the entire planet somehow having cooled from ~3000 degrees average temperature to a point where humans can only inhabit the core, in a space of... was it 150 years from now?), nonsensical (i.e. existing only so that they can be plotted around) restrictions on how the Matrix can be altered, how agents have to have a human "host", etc... ok, I'll stop with the stupid premises, my point is that these are things that distract people of average+ intelligence from the film itself. This is bad film-making.
What have I covered? Acting, plot, premises, direction/editing, fight scenes... that will do. Like I said - it was a fun film to watch a long time ago, but if I were to watch it fresh again, I would be bored and frustrated.

I was actually embarrassed to have the sound so high, since it was already late and I didn't want to disturb my flatmates. My stupid friend has some kind of addiction to watching things on glowing rectangles, so when I'm cooking, she's watching youtube videos one after another; when I'm cooking the next day, she's watching youtube again and my housemate actually comments on this; when we could be going out so she can do touristy stuff in my city [note: we live about a thousand miles apart now, fortunately, and she had never been here before], she wants to watch South Park on youtube at either 120% speed or 80% speed instead. Well, I have plenty more complaints about her, best summarized by saying that over three years ago I said to another friend that I was thinking of friend-dumping her. Maybe she thinks the same about me, but she says she wants to visit again this summer, so...

Wait, is this thread in e/n?
Can a mod move it to e/n please?
Lololololol everything you say

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Fellow goons you will have to inform me if modern cinema is still as dreadful as I recall from my misspent youth.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Placid Marmot posted:

Randandal posted:

I WONDER WHY

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Fellow goons you will have to inform me if modern cinema is still as dreadful as I recall from my misspent youth.

Its worse.
Sorry.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Placid Marmot posted:

she wants to watch South Park on youtube at either 120% speed or 80% speed instead.

What?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
As a member of MENSA I simply don't have the time to attend the cinema but I have, from time to time, engaged with lesser humans who seem to enjoy that sort of "entertainment".

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I only ingest (not "watch", how gauche!) le finest au cinema, how you say "at the movies". Yesterday I watched an homage a Francois Truffaut, le greatest directeur de tout les temps!

And now vous come here to tell me that le Matrix isn't complete merde! I feel sorry for votre mere! You need to learn a lot! Go watch the oeuvre of Godard and then come retour!

Savages!

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

If one were to decide, for some reason, to watch South Park on youtube, one would find that (in order to avoid being flagged for copyright infringement) the videos are slowed-down or sped-up, left-right reversed, and often cropped.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

flavor posted:

I only ingest (not "watch", how gauche!) le finest au cinema, how you say "at the movies". Yesterday I watched an homage a Francois Truffaut, le greatest directeur de tout les temps!

And now vous come here to tell me that le Matrix isn't complete merde! I feel sorry for votre mere! You need to learn a lot! Go watch the oeuvre of Godard and then come retour!

Savages!

Looong time lurker here, giving away some shorts.
A few friends and I collaborated and put some humour short stories and a parody guide on Amazon a couple of months ago but, despite hundreds given away on Select, plus some borrows, we haven't had any reviews, so they aren't selling.

If you e-mail me at acxyzyq – gmail , stating which book(s) you'd like, I will send you the .mobi files and you can buy from Amazon afterwards if you think they were worth it.

An illustrated parody guide with some measure of toilet humour:
The Gentleman's Illustrated Guide to Using the Toilet

“We all do it an average of eight times per day, but how many of us can call ourselves experts?
Learn how to better use the Toilet with World Toileting Expert Edwerd Powers, whose graphic descriptions and intimate diagrams will instil greater knowledge and confidence in you, to further your pursuit of Better Toileting.
An illustrated guide of 6000-24000 words (depending how you count them), this book is furnished with numerous colour and black-and-white images to aid the reader/looker to use the Toilet better and more safely.”

Stick through the first chapter of this one, it gets better:
Oswald Newton's Fine Dining Dispatches

“From intravenous desserts to Salmon Brandy, join legendary food critic Oswald Newton as he visits the most fashionable restaurants in the world, on a year-long journey of discovery - both culinary and personal.
A humorous novellettina of 22,000 words, "Oswald Newton’s Fine Dining Dispatches" charts a year in the life of the world's best restaurant critic, with its ups and downs, its Frittata di rucola e due formaggi, and its Cod Borscht with Carrot Chips and Mushy Pistachio.”

A laid-on-thick action/adventure/sci-fi parody, greatly influenced by the works of Garth Marenghi:
Laser Explosion Factory - A Butch Hardman Adventure

“Butch Hardman was no stranger to working in a laser explosion factory, and he’d grown used to a life of peril. But today was no ordinary day, and Butch Hardman faced dangers greater than any laser-wielding titanium robot or pit of frenzied theropods with titanium claws and titanium teeth and lasers.
A parody long-short-story / short novellettina of about 10,000 words, Laser Explosion Factory is the tale of Butch Hardman, a manly man who can still keep in touch with his youthful side. “

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Can't comment on this, too busy discussing the Matrix with other Matrix fans. :sweatdrop:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I remember I saw it in the theater right after Columbine happened and it was a little weird because the movie was so good but the scene where they walk in wearing trenchcoats and blow all those security guys away was a little spooky.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Placid Marmot posted:

If one were to decide, for some reason, to watch South Park on youtube, one would find that (in order to avoid being flagged for copyright infringement) the videos are slowed-down or sped-up, left-right reversed, and often cropped.

Lolololol seriously everything you say

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I took a few grams of mushrooms with me taking the Eurostar from London to Paris. I thought about the least likely place to be x-rayed or searched, which was in a pocket in my baggy shorts. I just wrapped the mushrooms in a paper napkin and put that, scrunched up, in my pocket. After I went through the metal detector, I got pulled over by a customs or police guy (though I don't think I was looking suspicious) and he patted me down and asked me to take various items out of my pockets, including the mushrooms in the napkin. As it just looked like a scrunched up bit of tissue for wiping my nose, he didn't examine it and I was sent on my way to Passport Control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hugo Weaving's real masterpiece was Priscilla Queen of the Desert

• Locked thread