Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i hope that the offsite simpsons wiki has a bunch of devoted watcher dedicated to pointing out continuity errors, like listing under the trivia for episodes stuff like "While the presence of several Borts in this episode seem to indicate that the name is common in the Simpsons universe, no other characters are named Bort throughout the series. See the dedicated page for Bort (young boy) for more information"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oh shut the gently caress up

there is no light at the end of this tunnel

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Absalom Baird posted:

How'd they ever address the whole Krabappel dead thing

They just put a small unrelated segment at the end of an episode. It was actually probably the best way to handle it. It acknowledged her death without trying to make a story line out of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i hope that the offsite simpsons wiki has a bunch of devoted watcher dedicated to pointing out continuity errors, like listing under the trivia for episodes stuff like "While the presence of several Borts in this episode seem to indicate that the name is common in the Simpsons universe, no other characters are named Bort throughout the series. See the dedicated page for Bort (young boy) for more information"

just checked and both Borts do indeed have their own dedicated page on the simpsons wiki and are appropriately documented.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010

Germstore posted:

They just put a small unrelated segment at the end of an episode. It was actually probably the best way to handle it. It acknowledged her death without trying to make a story line out of it.

Sure but I mean, like...who's gonna be Bart's teacher now?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

back in the 90s and early 00s i used to read episode capsules on http://www.snpp.com/. i knew all the episodes well enough that it was a pretty close simulation to watching the show.

it looks like even those devoted spergs started abandoning the show once its downward spiral became more obvious

Germstore posted:

i actually saw that and it was touching and they did a good job with it, even though it was only like a minute long

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As bad and played-out as modern Simpsons is, it still isn't as :regd08: as arguing about which seasons of the Simpsons were the good ones and when it started to go downhill

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

"Shrooming of the tane" S25 ep 11

When grouidskeeper willy opens a "wierd" twister about mushrooms with Simpy, the new Simpson, he must gangame style a grumpy cat. Buy a volvo. Guest starring Olof Persson.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As bad and played-out as modern Simpsons is, it still isn't as :regd08: as arguing about which seasons of the Simpsons were the good ones and when it started to go downhill

it all went downhill after seaosn 1

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

"The Simpsons go downhill" S420 E69

In order to win a new Geforcetm 780ti graphics card The Simpertons literally roll down a hill for 19 minutes. Guest starring you, the viewer!!!!!!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
You know someone is going to request a grim dark simpsons prequel reboot in zombie nazi space set in the victorian era.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Homer wants a younger, hipper image, so he starts hanging out with Terrence and Emily, two hipsters from Portland, but Marge and Bart find the couple, their child, and their ilk who take over the unhip town of Springfield to be irritating and pretentious.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm a guy who was too young for most of the first 10 seasons so I saw maybe one or two decent seasons and as far as I know 90% of it is poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

everyone pretty much agrees on when that was, though, it was early season 9 with a few good episodes that followed after

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I remember the instant I gave up watching the Simpsons. After watching the one where Marge gets breast implants I threw up my hands and went "welp, thats it"

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The jockey trolls was when I decided that I'd have to give up watching the show, although I didn't actually stop watching until that season was over.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I remember the instant I gave up watching the Simpsons. After watching the one where Marge gets breast implants I threw up my hands and went "welp, thats it"

but then you didn't get to see the cool baha men parody they did at the end of that episode!!!
!!!

somebody please look this up I exhausted myself trying to remember who the baha men were

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 30, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

man season 8 had some good episodes, though, looking at it. i had no idea the hank scorpio episode and the one where flanders says "hell-diddly-ding-dong-crap!" were so late.

this is what happens when you mostly watched them in that blob of time where they ran reruns all night on the new hampshire channel.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Homer invests the Simpsons' life savings in a revolutionary new digital currency called PieCoin but as the house quickly gets overtaken with bizarre computer equipment Marge begins to suspect it's a scam. Meanwhile, Lisa gets obsessed with a new hit videogame on her Mapple MyPad and is frustrated with its lack of believable female characters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LifeSizePotato posted:

back in the 90s and early 00s i used to read episode capsules on http://www.snpp.com/. i knew all the episodes well enough that it was a pretty close simulation to watching the show.

it looks like even those devoted spergs started abandoning the show once its downward spiral became more obvious

i actually saw that and it was touching and they did a good job with it, even though it was only like a minute long

that website archived user reviews from back when the episodes aired and there were people saying the show jumped the shark at like, season 3 or 4

no wonder the people making the show don't listen to critics

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

yeah, most of them were pulled from the alt.tv.simpsons or whatever newsgroup, so you're talking some grade a nerds. it is interesting to read capsules from episodes that are clearly classic and hilarious getting "meh, c-" reviews from 1990s spergs

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Simpsons Hit n Run was a pretty good game.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

I watched that episode and thought it was pretty OK and then right at the end it just casually threw out the main spoiler for the Lego Movie which I hadn't seen. i don't know why the gently caress they did that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

virtuaaaaall barrrrrrt

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So did Krabappel die in the show too or was she just written out or what? Didn't she marry Flanders?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Lenny = white
Carl = black

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Lenny = white
Carl = black

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So did Krabappel die in the show too or was she just written out or what? Didn't she marry Flanders?

There is a flashback of her and Ned dancing, then it cuts to him in his living room grieving. Nelson offers condolences.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
oh also Sideshow Bob has superpowers now

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Roger Tangerines posted:

oh also Sideshow Bob has superpowers now

well duh, he spliced his genes with a grasshopper's

what would you expect to happen??

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BKPR posted:

There is a flashback of her and Ned dancing, then it cuts to him in his living room grieving. Nelson offers condolences.

More than any thread I've ever read, I cannot tell what is real and what is fake.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Das Boo posted:

More than any thread I've ever read, I cannot tell what is real and what is fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhKXB4bY4AI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:psyduck:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

it just came out of nowhere, too, after the end of the sideshow bob gives himself gills episode

tbf, they could have done a lot worse and i don't think it's that bad

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's weird knowing that it makes just as much sense in context as it does out of it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Actually it was pretty well done.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
I'm engaged in a project to deduce which state(s) Springfield could possibly be in. But wait! I have a novel approach. Instead of looking for clues to CONFIRM, I instead look for clues to eliminate.

For instance, in the episode "Bart's Comet", Bart says, "Race you to Utah, Milhouse". And in "They Saved Lisa's Brain", Dr Hibbert says "Maybe I should go back to Alabama". Thus, Springfield is not in Utah or Alabama.

Of course there is a distinct possibility that I will be able to use this method to eliminate EVERY state eventually...and I'm ok with that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Absalom Baird posted:

I'm engaged in a project to deduce which state(s) Springfield could possibly be in. But wait! I have a novel approach. Instead of looking for clues to CONFIRM, I instead look for clues to eliminate.

For instance, in the episode "Bart's Comet", Bart says, "Race you to Utah, Milhouse". And in "They Saved Lisa's Brain", Dr Hibbert says "Maybe I should go back to Alabama". Thus, Springfield is not in Utah or Alabama.

Of course there is a distinct possibility that I will be able to use this method to eliminate EVERY state eventually...and I'm ok with that.

It's in your state, the one that you live in. Everystate, USA.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Remember when they treated Troy Mclure and Lionel Hutz with this sort of respect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Remember when they treated Troy Mclure and Lionel Hutz with this sort of respect?

I don't see what's disrespectful about that scene.

• Locked thread