Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher

John Kruk posted:

I am sure that if you slapped a 20 on the counter and walked out with the beer the clerk would have just gone on with their night and not given two fucks.

EDIT: In some chinese restaurants you can order "cold tea" after liquor serving time is over and they will bring you a teapot with heineken in it.

This might work in the Safeway I go to. But like other places, like the 7-11 locks the beer and wine cases at like midnight, and Wal-mart has this big security gate they pull over the liquor aisle. And if I started breaking the law to obtain booze rather than just bitching about the laws then people might start thinking that I have a problem or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Cold and Ugly posted:

Nice. There aren't any Amish or travellers or whatever in Cali though, at least not in my town.

Or farmer's markets open between 2 and 6AM, either.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

At least you don't live in a state with blue laws. I can't even buy beer in my grocery store

Thank Christ for that. That poo poo is really super loving lame. My brother lives in Washington and has to get liquor at the state liquor store. He was telling me something about how like they had a bond measure fail at the polls and so the state was all like, OK, gently caress it then. A fifth of Jack costs thirty bucks now.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cold and Ugly posted:

Thank Christ for that. That poo poo is really super loving lame. My brother lives in Washington and has to get liquor at the state liquor store. He was telling me something about how like they had a bond measure fail at the polls and so the state was all like, OK, gently caress it then. A fifth of Jack costs thirty bucks now.

I don't mind the state owned liquor stores, they have ok prices and great sales. I just want to go to 7-11 to pick up a 6 pack instead of having to pay for bar inflated prices.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
California? I thought dumb liquor laws were a Pennsylvania thing only.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I don't mind the state owned liquor stores, they have ok prices and great sales. I just want to go to 7-11 to pick up a 6 pack instead of having to pay for bar inflated prices.

I dunno, man. The idea that the state is the only body responsible enough to vend alcohol to the proles seems kind of hosed up to me. What do you have to do for that six pack, then? Like, a 12 pack of corona costs 15 bucks here.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

California? I thought dumb liquor laws were a Pennsylvania thing only.

It's probably not as bad here as it may be there. But it kinda seems like everybody who doesn't live in Nevada hates their state liquor laws, too.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

just smoke weed, op

it wont kill your liver

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jimong5 posted:

I think those law are in place because nobody decides to start getting drunk at 4 AM, and the only people that would buy beer that late are going to drive drunk down to the liquor store.

There are plenty of people who decide to start drinking at 4 a.m. There are a lot of shift workers in this country (hospital workers, police officers, firemen, emergency dispatchers to name just a few). Just because 4 a.m. means the middle of the night to you, it seems like 5 p.m. to me after an eight or 12-hour shift. When you work shift work, you know the laws and you plan ahead, and it SUCKS. I don't give a rats rear end when I'm buying beer at 7 a.m. and the clerk looks at me like I'm from a leper colony.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

mrwuss posted:

just smoke weed, op

it wont kill your liver

I totally would prefer that, but I work for the state, dog. Drug tests and poo poo.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Cold and Ugly posted:

I totally would prefer that, but I work for the state, dog. Drug tests and poo poo.

oh, that sucks

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Calypso posted:

There are plenty of people who decide to start drinking at 4 a.m. There are a lot of shift workers in this country (hospital workers, police officers, firemen, emergency dispatchers to name just a few). Just because 4 a.m. means the middle of the night to you, it seems like 5 p.m. to me after an eight or 12-hour shift. When you work shift work, you know the laws and you plan ahead, and it SUCKS. I don't give a rats rear end when I'm buying beer at 7 a.m. and the clerk looks at me like I'm from a leper colony.

Seriously, man. I spent a year working 2200-0600. Get a couple tall boys at the Valero on the way home and suddenly like every cashier and truck driver getting his morning coffee in the world has a moral imperative to loving comment.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

mrwuss posted:

oh, that sucks

Wish i'd gone to college like my friends from HS and get paid to do rad computer stuff and vape in the privacy of my own home.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Cold and Ugly posted:

Wish i'd gone to college like my friends from HS and get paid to do rad computer stuff and vape in the privacy of my own home.

i have a couple friends who work from home for RH and never went to college

these friends also vape from home

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
M-Sat 8a-11p, sun 12p-11p. generally cant get alcohol of any sort here except in liquor stores. some grocery stores carry it but its rare. some gas stations carry beer/wine.

i also lol at these threads because theres always some real bitches droning on about how you ran out of booze because of poor planning and if only you had more foresight

get hosed

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

rip this thread

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cold and Ugly posted:

Seriously, man. I spent a year working 2200-0600. Get a couple tall boys at the Valero on the way home and suddenly like every cashier and truck driver getting his morning coffee in the world has a moral imperative to loving comment.

jfc. when i was younger i used to work @ a liquor store and we would never give a gently caress abt that poo poo. i've been the last customer of the night and the first guy there in the AM and nobody says poo poo

you got some rude rear end people near you

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

jfc. when i was younger i used to work @ a liquor store and we would never give a gently caress abt that poo poo. i've been the last customer of the night and the first guy there in the AM and nobody says poo poo

you got some rude rear end people near you

Not at all, man. It's just unusual to them and truckers don't really belong to any specific space or time so why the gently caress would you care about them being all like "Thirsty, huh?" when you're loving wore out and on your way home.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Cold and Ugly posted:

Or you get up really early and hit the liquor store an hour or two before work and even though it's probably only 3 or 4PM it still feels like you're buying liquor at 5am before work on a weekday.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cold and Ugly posted:

Not at all, man. It's just unusual to them and truckers don't really belong to any specific space or time so why the gently caress would you care about them being all like "Thirsty, huh?" when you're loving wore out and on your way home.

i never said i gave a gently caress but that doesn't mean its not rude

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

It really doesn't matter why, when or under what circumstances you buy beer, tho. I'm just saying it should be available to everybody at any time.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I live in a civilized country where you can buy beer and liquor 24/7 and the bars never have to close. :)

[edit] I'm also a horrible loving alcoholic.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

i never said i gave a gently caress but that doesn't mean its not rude

I guess, man. I think poo poo becomes less rude tho the more you understand where it comes from. And in advanced levels it can become funny. Being lame and offended is a personal choice.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Jesus Christ posted:

I live in a civilized country where you can buy beer and liquor 24/7 and the bars never have to close. :)

[edit] I'm also a horrible loving alcoholic.

Dude, I visited my friend in Japan in January, and it owns over there for drunks. You can buy whatever you want 24/7, and apparently nobody gives a poo poo if you hang out in front of convenience stores for hours on end. Apparently that's a thing there that's totally okay to do. It was sort of fun for me because if I stood outside a 7-11 here in Cali for more than 5 minutes someone would def call the cops on me.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
where i live strangers poking their faces in and running commentary about what youre buying at the store is going to be met with some hostility

it doesnt bother me personally because if im @ the liquor store at 8 am i either dont give any fucks or have way more important poo poo to give a gently caress abt

tbf where i live most interactions are met w hostility

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Cold and Ugly posted:

Dude, I visited my friend in Japan in January, and it owns over there for drunks. You can buy whatever you want 24/7, and apparently nobody gives a poo poo if you hang out in front of convenience stores for hours on end. Apparently that's a thing there that's totally okay to do. It was sort of fun for me because if I stood outside a 7-11 here in Cali for more than 5 minutes someone would def call the cops on me.

Yah, same here, you can drink in public and it's not looked down on. Everybody, from your lowly transient to your student to your well to do businessman in a suit will chill out in a park or on the street knocking back a couple cold ones and enjoying the day if the weather is nice.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

then they all go home and jack it to kids being raped by appendages in cartoon form

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
that is one thing i don't understand. why the gently caress cant i drink in public? i mean, i do anyway and i've never gotten in trouble for it but i don't even know why its illegal.

the funny part is, the way the law is written, it hardly ever gets enforced at the individual level because the commonwealth requires the contents of the glass/can/bottle/whatever to be tested to make sure it actually is alcoholic. most cops just throw it out but will still arrest you anyway and then the case gets immediately thrown out.

what does get enforced though is if i were to walk out of a bar with an alcoholic beverage in hand and an officer noticed it, the establishment can get hosed pretty well though. a well known pizza/beer place across the street from a popular sporting venue was shut down for a day because a Canadian tourist here to watch his team play against my city's forgot he wasnt in montreal or wherever the gently caress he was from.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Jesus Christ posted:

Yah, same here, you can drink in public and it's not looked down on. Everybody, from your lowly transient to your student to your well to do businessman in a suit will chill out in a park or on the street knocking back a couple cold ones and enjoying the day if the weather is nice.

That sounds really loving nice, man. Like my bud greeted us at the airport with a couple beers and then we got on the train like everybody else and were pretty chill and not menaces to society.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

i'm gay

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

that is one thing i don't understand. why the gently caress cant i drink in public? i mean, i do anyway and i've never gotten in trouble for it but i don't even know why its illegal.

the funny part is, the way the law is written, it hardly ever gets enforced at the individual level because the commonwealth requires the contents of the glass/can/bottle/whatever to be tested to make sure it actually is alcoholic. most cops just throw it out but will still arrest you anyway and then the case gets immediately thrown out.

what does get enforced though is if i were to walk out of a bar with an alcoholic beverage in hand and an officer noticed it, the establishment can get hosed pretty well though. a well known pizza/beer place across the street from a popular sporting venue was shut down for a day because a Canadian tourist here to watch his team play against my city's forgot he wasnt in montreal or wherever the gently caress he was from.

Sounds like Canada, and you, need to take a chill pill.

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
Prohibition sure did gently caress America's relationship with alcohol. This sort of thing is the fallout from it; it's like someone who was heavily molested by their parents as a child trying to have a normal sex life - that's what America is like with beer.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Cool.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
agreed op but im not from canada

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

Prohibition sure did gently caress America's relationship with alcohol. This sort of thing is the fallout from it; it's like someone who was heavily molested by their parents as a child trying to have a normal sex life - that's what America is like with beer.

I dunno, man. That seems overly simplistic. Especially since there is nobody alive now who lived through that. And that different countries have differing opinions about alcohol. I mean, would you post a crazy funny gif from Boardwalk Empire at say the king of Jordan?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
us prohibition ended in 1933, in what world do you live in that there arent any 80 year olds

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

agreed op but im not from canada

Cool, man. Let's get hosed up sometime. Maybe play some Metal Slug.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

us prohibition ended in 1933, in what world do you live in that there arent any 80 year olds

80 YO's don't really count as people because they don't know what the gently caress is happening. Like my 80+ y/o grandfather died last year of some sort of like blood cancer or whatever, and, understandably, didn't really know anything else but a ton of poo poo about blood cancer and his regrets.

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Cold and Ugly posted:

I dunno, man. That seems overly simplistic. Especially since there is nobody alive now who lived through that. And that different countries have differing opinions about alcohol. I mean, would you post a crazy funny gif from Boardwalk Empire at say the king of Jordan?

Nothing to do with 80yos and everything to do with holdovers from that time. You have loads of crazy, dumb uptight laws about alcohol and a weird relationship with drinking that's borne from a time when you couldn't get the stuff because it was regarded as evil or whatever: poo poo like dry counties, all the weird Sunday nonsense and - worst of all - needing to be the grand-old age of twenty-loving-one before you're legally allowed to drink it. It's like the one area where the whole "freedom" thing is slacking a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

Nothing to do with 80yos and everything to do with holdovers from that time. You have loads of crazy, dumb uptight laws about alcohol and a weird relationship with drinking that's borne from a time when you couldn't get the stuff because it was regarded as evil or whatever: poo poo like dry counties, all the weird Sunday nonsense and - worst of all - needing to be the grand-old age of twenty-loving-one before you're legally allowed to drink it. It's like the one area where the whole "freedom" thing is slacking a bit.

True enough, man. It is pretty loving stupid.

• Locked thread