Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ayup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Okay so this is gonna sound weird but I just realized how awesome one of the talents I could've taken was. Mind if I swap one of mine out for it later, and if so, when?

It's to swap Meridian Master for Grappler. I realized it'd totally work better for the super striker I intended for notSabin to be anyway.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So, since I've never played 13th Age before I'd like to clarify things...I'm now engaged with this thug, meaning he gets to make an opportunity attack if I try to shoot someone that isn't him, right? And I can try to disengage, which is just a straight d20 with no bonuses from background or ability scores or anything, to get away from him? Or, if I either don't want to or fail to disengage, I can freely stab or shoot this guy?

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Flame112 posted:

So, since I've never played 13th Age before I'd like to clarify things...I'm now engaged with this thug, meaning he gets to make an opportunity attack if I try to shoot someone that isn't him, right? And I can try to disengage, which is just a straight d20 with no bonuses from background or ability scores or anything, to get away from him? Or, if I either don't want to or fail to disengage, I can freely stab or shoot this guy?

Any attack that isn't Close Quartets or Melee provokes an opportunity attack from an enemy with whom you are engaged.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Whycalibur posted:

Any attack that isn't Close Quartets or Melee provokes an opportunity attack from an enemy with whom you are engaged.

You can use a ranged weapon attack against someone you're engaged with, but you take an opportunity attack from anyone else engaged with you.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
The handbook says "Your ranged attacks draw opportunity attacks from enemies engaged with you that you don’t target" which sounds to me like if I target the thug I'm engaged with, he doesn't get to make an OA on me no matter what.

Edit: beaten

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Flame112 posted:

The handbook says "Your ranged attacks draw opportunity attacks from enemies engaged with you that you don’t target" which sounds to me like if I target the thug I'm engaged with, he doesn't get to make an OA on me no matter what.

Edit: beaten

Well I've been playing wrong then, haha.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

Okay so this is gonna sound weird but I just realized how awesome one of the talents I could've taken was. Mind if I swap one of mine out for it later, and if so, when?

It's to swap Meridian Master for Grappler. I realized it'd totally work better for the super striker I intended for notSabin to be anyway.

Fine, but make the change after the battle.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

SunAndSpring posted:

Fine, but make the change after the battle.

Can do. Should've done this earlier, sorry, but it didn't dawn on me until just now that if I want to suplex a daedra I have to be able to grapple it first.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
"I'm angry my friend died! So I'm going to attack a person who didn't even touch my friend!"

I think he might just be a touch scared of me.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

djw175 posted:

"I'm angry my friend died! So I'm going to attack a person who didn't even touch my friend!"

I think he might just be a touch scared of me.

Well that and them opportunity attacks, man.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I should have mentioned this earlier, buy I take one less damage from enemies that have less health than I do. It might matter now that I'm actually engaged with something that I didn't kill.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Don't forget your +1 from my dumb bard song this round. Hopefully I can maintain it next round too.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Since I haven't used it yet this fight, can I use my racial Evasive trait to force a re-roll on that crit? I'd very prefer not to explode. :sterv:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Punting posted:

Since I haven't used it yet this fight, can I use my racial Evasive trait to force a re-roll on that crit? I'd very prefer not to explode. :sterv:

Yes.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Then I would definitely like to do so, with the hopes of getting a kinder result; though knowing my luck I'm due for a good thwacking about now.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Don't you have roll with it? So you could take half damage anyway.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Hey I made a new sheet because the old version was a pain in the rear end to edit: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=959493 Nothing about the character or my talents or feats or whatever has changed, just the format of the sheet. Thanks to whoever was using myth-weavers for hosting their sheet because it's much more usable than the editable pdf thing I was using before.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So are you guys waiting on me to reroll the attack on K'zan? Just wanted to know if that was your final choice.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
If K'zan is lucky he can avoid taking any damage at all with a reroll, so maybe that's what he's hoping for.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the reroll. I prefer to use attack-negation before damage-reduction, I'm weird like that. :sterv:

In any case, my action's up next, so as soon as I know what's up I'll post.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I hate to be that guy, but it does feel kind of lovely when my build and my class in general really is all about taking hits and nothing attacks me.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I forgot that I deal damage on a miss, so that dude I whiffed this turn should have taken 1 damage. I've edited my post.

Edit: Although, reading the combat summary, it looks like you already included it.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
If you could include your current/max HP in your in-combat posts going forward, that would be helpful to me for determining when and on whom to use my Battlecries.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

djw175 posted:

I hate to be that guy, but it does feel kind of lovely when my build and my class in general really is all about taking hits and nothing attacks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QezS57OODKc

If you insist, mate :)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

I was thinking of posting that exact thing.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh this reminds me. Can I use an interrupt that requires greatness on the attack that gave me greatness?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

djw175 posted:

Oh this reminds me. Can I use an interrupt that requires greatness on the attack that gave me greatness?

I think so.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Right, so a buncha stuff happened. Who's still alive again? I gotta figure out who I'm gonna take down this turn.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Everyone but the leader and the mage.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
If I roll the enemy's AC exactly, are we saying they win the tie or we win the tie?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Attacker always wins ties.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

djw175 posted:

Attacker always wins ties.

Is that in the book? I flipped through and couldn't find a rule on it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Whycalibur posted:

Is that in the book? I flipped through and couldn't find a rule on it.

Page 159 posted:

For each attack, roll a d20 + an ability bonus + your level (+ magic item attack bonus, if any). Depending on the attack, you might also get other bonuses. You compare your total to the target’s defense, usually Armor Class but sometimes Physical Defense or Mental Defense. If the total is equal to or higher than the defense, you hit.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks!

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Did you get the 6 damage I did to the rogue this turn? Didn't see it in the post.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I wasn't sure what the layout of the bar was, so I just targeted the first two thugs in the initiative roll. Hope that works.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Just to make sure I've got my positioning right, since one of the dunmer shifted focus from me to Digs, I can reach out and touch him with delicious sneak attack damage, yes? :ese:

Punting fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 20, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, cause Digs ran up to them and burned their faces off, so go ahead.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I know 13th Age doesn't really do 'grid' combat, but some kind of map that just shows who is engaged in battle with who might be helpful. I don't know about everyone else but I'm kinda having trouble keeping track of what's going on with everyone besides the thug I'm fighting.

• Locked thread