Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
To maybe help other threads not devolve into alcohol and music chat every few pages, we're going to try having a general off-topic chat thread here.

Notes:
  • While this thread is going to be more relaxed than a normal D&D thread, try to keep things at least a bit above GBS-levels of relaxed. Don't report people for spelling errors or caps stuff, but please also don't spam a hundred images or generally try to make the thread unreadable.
  • Please don't turn this into a clearing house for drama and grudges.
  • This is not LF, and LF is never coming back.

If this doesn't look like it's working out, this thread will go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im gay

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Michael Hastings book about Newsweek was disappointing in my opinion. It was obviously just a rough draft. If you enjoyed that chapter in his 2012 ebook where he pretended to be Hunter Thompson, you'll like it, but otherwise not so much.

Or maybe I'm just too desensitized to that stuff from the internet to the point that none of it was as shocking as he intended it to be.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Hunter Thompson

Since you mentioned it, let's take a moment to enjoy some Hunter S Thompson

quote:

It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...

And that, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark — that place where the wave finally broke, and rolled back.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Since Tricky Dick has come up with some frequency in the USPol thread, and since you mention the good doctor, why not go whole hog with Thompson's eulogy to the man?

quote:

If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Carried over from the USpol thread:

Jagchosis posted:

As long as Auspol isn't allowed to post in it.
Actually, Auspol has their own chat thread in GBS, and since its inception, Auspol D&D has been over 300% more on-topic and less prone to video game derails. It's a model of thread efficiency!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

We have become a Nazi monster in the eyes of the whole world, a nation of bullies and bastards who would rather kill than live peacefully. We are not just Whores for power and oil, but killer whores with hate and fear in our hearts. We are human scum, and that is how history will judge us. No redeeming social value. Just whores. Get out of our way, or we'll kill you. Who does vote for these dishonest shitheads? Who among us can be happy and proud of having all this innocent blood on our hands? Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. gently caress them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a shame that Thompson became a caricature of himself in his later writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 1972 is still the best campaign memoir ever written and you wish that he still had that energy for Better Than Sex, his book about the 1992 campaign, but it's mostly scans of faxes that he sent to Clinton staffers while drunk.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

It's a shame that Thompson became a caricature of himself in his later writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 1972 is still the best campaign memoir ever written and you wish that he still had that energy for Better Than Sex, his book about the 1992 campaign, but it's mostly scans of faxes that he sent to Clinton staffers while drunk.

I don't know, "a collection of stuff HST sent to Clinton staffers while drunk" still sounds like it might be worth reading.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

XyloJW posted:

Notes:
  • While this thread is going to be more relaxed than a normal D&D thread, try to keep things at least a bit above GBS-levels of relaxed. Don't report people for spelling errors or caps stuff, but please also don't spam a hundred images or generally try to make the thread unreadable.

If this doesn't look like it's working out, this thread will go away.

You're supposed to report people for spelling errors and caps stuff normally? The more you know.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Agreed. Not that Better than Sex wasn't a fun read, mind, just not nearly on the same level. Also, I've often wondered what we might have heard from him if he'd lived long enough to see the 2008 campaign.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Older Hunter S. quotes are best imagined as finishing with him just screaming wordlessly, like in that clip where Conan O'Brien went and visited him to shoot an M60 and drink whiskey.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

It kind of annoyed me that what felt like half of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail was excuses for why he hadn't written it yet or for how his publisher was getting mad at him for missing deadlines.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Cheekio posted:

You're supposed to report people for spelling errors and caps stuff normally? The more you know.

I'd prefer people didn't, but you know, whatever.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cheekio posted:

If you're a square, sure

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm prejudiced against Australians

e: like really, I think I need to take a vacation there and get over it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

It kind of annoyed me that what felt like half of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail was excuses for why he hadn't written it yet or for how his publisher was getting mad at him for missing deadlines.

That was all real, by the way. If you ever visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame they have a whole wall of HSTs hand written letters to his boss asking them to mail him more speed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Technogeek posted:

I don't know, "a collection of stuff HST sent to Clinton staffers while drunk" still sounds like it might be worth reading.

You'd think so.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

XyloJW posted:

that was the best part. threatening to shoot the fax machine or whatever it was, creating insane tangents to get the right amount of words

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I demand to know why tbp has a soccer ball next to his name.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

I demand to know why tbp has a soccer ball next to his name.

I was super about to ask that

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The Finn gave (I think) the top 100 posters in the soccer forum a soccer ball for the World Cup.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, what did people think of the guitarchat derail? Suitably metaphorical?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we should get little burning ballots during election season

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

we should get little burning ballots during election season

No, little shot glasses or liquor bottles. Far more appropriate for the DnD crowd.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

XyloJW posted:

LF is never coming back.

Aw. I got excited when I saw the other FYAD-lites coming back. :smith:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

XyloJW posted:

The Finn gave (I think) the top 100 posters in the soccer forum a soccer ball for the World Cup.

That's not quite how it happened.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also, bring back lf

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Skinos Mastiha is sort of a honey sweetened gin, very floral, but not piney. 30 proof and proud, $40ish at your liqour store.
Laphroaig we all know and love already.

You want to use the Skinos the same way you'd use water, just a few drops to open up your scotch. You get a peaty-sweet flavor that makes both the scotch and the liquor taste better than they would separately.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
PSA to pre-order Perlstein's upcoming Reagan book, if you like hating politicians with the fiery passion of the thousand suns.

Because Christ, so far into my reading of Nixonland, Nixon is repeatedly eclipsed by Governor Reagan's horribleness.

Also, don't order from Amazon, because they're subhuman mongrels.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ufarn posted:

PSA to pre-order Perlstein's upcoming Reagan book, if you like hating politicians with the fiery passion of the thousand suns.

Because Christ, so far into my reading of Nixonland, Nixon is repeatedly eclipsed by Governor Reagan's horribleness.

Also, don't order from Amazon, because they're subhuman mongrels.

There was a lot of interplay between the Nixon White House and Reagan at the time, with considerable back and forth between Washington and Sacramento during the early 70s. I seem to recall seeing a note from Nixon to Kissinger or Haldeman telling them to send Reagan a copy of Irving Kristol's then-new book on how to "reform" higher education, and of course there's that letter I posted recently where Reagan jokingly threatens to self-immolate if Kissinger won't approve defense contacts in CA.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So, I have been wondering, are we only allowed to make political threads in Debate Disco, or can we make a thread debating anything?

I'm envisioning some kind of booze/burger argument thunderdome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn't see anything on the recent IP issues. Can we just not handle iP threads anymore.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paragon1 posted:

So, I have been wondering, are we only allowed to make political threads in Debate Disco, or can we make a thread debating anything?

Posting new threads is against the rules in D&D.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I didn't see anything on the recent IP issues. Can we just not handle iP threads anymore.

They always turn to poo poo. It's not even a slow progression, it's basically OP ---> poo poo.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

Older Hunter S. quotes are best imagined as finishing with him just screaming wordlessly, like in that clip where Conan O'Brien went and visited him to shoot an M60 and drink whiskey.

In case anyone hasn't seen this masterpiece it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNEImAIM4L4

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

Dunno. But I heard today that Netanyahu is supporting an independent Kurdish state, which is pretty hilarious, all things considered.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Joementum posted:

Posting new threads is against the rules in D&D.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Surely that would just be a GWS thread tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
GWS is for talking about food, not debating it.

There would have been a panel of judges and everything.

Zeroisanumber posted:

They always turn to poo poo. It's not even a slow progression, it's basically OP ---> poo poo.

It's like someone throws up some kind of shitposter bat signal.

• Locked thread