Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

visceril posted:

In my experience, and after thinking on the matter, it seems to me that discrimination against LGBT people is on the basis of gender, rather than sexuality. What I mean by that is that the hate comes from the fact that these people don't conform to the binary gender norms of our patriarchal society. Who they chose to gently caress or not gently caress is one of a few or many non-conforming behaviors that create that "unmanly" or "unwomanly" image that society punishes.

I think maybe 2 or 3 years ago I would be inclined to agree with you, but lately I'd have to say that you're overthinking it. Not to say that the depth and scope of your thought is poor or wrong; but that actually the answer is much more simple; the vast majority of people are meat-robots, with little to no more cognitive digestion than a cat. They're not thinking "You don't conform to my ideal of patriarchal normativity!" they're thinking "f----t."

Whereas for us perhaps, an idea or information enters our brain, is processed, digested, filtered and transmogrified into that elusive thing called "understanding", they take in information, and it gets immediately stored as "f----t."

Now perhaps this makes me sound like an intellectual elitist, or a nihilistic and pessimistic keyboard warrior; but is that what 'they' would call me? or would they just call me "f----t."?

Edit: edited to draw your attention to the juxtaposition of my post content and my username.

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Sharkie posted:

Eh, they may not be thinking "You don't conform to my ideal of patriarchal normativity" in those words, exactly, but those sort of cultural structures are still shaping their reactions. Nobody's immune to this stuff, it just requires the willingness to be aware of it and to work against it.

Oh yeah I agree but the point I'm getting at is that they literally lack the capacity to question it, and willingness alone isn't enough to summon that awareness. And I guess this also means there's a degree to which they're no longer responsible for being bigots which makes it even worse.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

visceril posted:

Parents. Parents are the worst things in the world. MY CHILD is perfect and smart and can do no wrong. In the United States, which is the only country that does this besides Somalia, children are not protected by law. We have not signed into the UN Declaration of the Rights of Children because OUR SOVEREIGNTY to treat children like chattel is more important, as is our religious freedom to instill bigotry and ignorance into our children.

School administrators and teachers are spineless cowards that hide behind a literal interpretation of the rules that punishes a child that was beaten to a pulp and their attackers equally for both 'being in a fight' or else the parents of that shithead might sue or raise hell at the school board or call Fox News.

I would like to say the solution would be for admins and teachers to grow a pair of testes or ovaries and make and stand behind judgment calls, but the courts would back the parents for the reasons I've described above.

Yeah same in the UK; schools are powerless over the wrath of the moron parent. It's the bane of every teacher's life, so I've heard. I guess that's part of what I was getting at before though; seems like it's not about "where do we point the blame" or "what policies can we enforce", but rather "how the hell do you recondition the minds of hapless meat robots?"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

rkajdi posted:

That's a dumb bet to make in any case, and shows that you're entirely out of step with normal people over money.

You also have hope. I see a reality where I'm still insulted daily by asshats at work about this stuff (it's either getting called a cocksucker or a communist, sometimes both) despite being against the rules in federal workplaces for over a decade-- it's career suicide to bring up so I just have to lump it if I want to keep my job long term. And with this ruling, I have no garauntees that my state's anti-discrimination law won't be effectively destroyed so some rapture trash can try to make quick points with their god. I've got about a million things working against me for a new jobs already (older in tech, former union member, federal civil servant) so this is just one more thing to gently caress me over. I don't see anything reason to be hopeful that the situation would fix itself in the future.

I almost stopped reading as soon as you implied there was something wrong with being a cocksucking communist. I for one pride myself on contorting my body into the shape of a hammer and sickle just for the sake of performing fellatio.

And yeah, maybe the problem lies somewhere in the reasons for an anti-discrimination LAW in the first place. I mean if you literally have to say "hey guys, don't be an unforgivable turd or we will punish you" then NOT being an unforgivable turd is apparently not an idea that's catching on.

As the lazy majority, weed smokers are pretty energetic about defending their right to set fire to a plant and blacken their lungs with it, regardless of laws. Gunna have a hard time beating down the wall of bigotry if you can't even get a stoner bum to shut up.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

rkajdi posted:

I'm still bi, and in the last two weeks I've heard a)"There's no cock you won't suck", and b) "If I ever think you make a pass at me, I will beat your rear end in on the spot". The latter by my team lead who's admitted to dragging a man out of a car and punching in the face repeatedly for the horrible crime of kissing his soon to be ex-wife-- i.e. it's a viable threat. I doubt anything would be done about either one, and I have a supervisior over top of that team lead who actually seems at least marginally gay friendly.

But I forgot, if I'm bi and currently sleeping with a woman I don't count as LGBT anymore, and should have any discrimination issues I face removed out of hand. Seriously, this is the kind of poo poo that makes me think the LGBT community gives exactly zero shits about the B&T parts except when they want support for their issues.

You ever tried flipping the script on them?

When they say "there's no cock you won't suck" you say "drat right. Let's go, you and me, right here. Get it out." Tails Gets Trolled, remember?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

rkajdi posted:

Not my exact experience, but similar. I found out at the turn of the century, and found exactly zero sympathy withint the LGBT community. Nobody inside or out was willing to even admit my thoughts were real or legitimate. It's a huge reason as to my I've been in the closet as much as I have been since then.

The fastest way to prove to someone that you are bisexual (and also, this works in reverse to immediately disprove the idea that "homosexuality is a choice") is to let them watch you get sexually aroused to images or media or individuals of the same sex.

for guys: "oh you're not gay." *gets a boner for a dude rear end* "no that's not legit".

Or if someone is claiming homosexuality is a choice ; "okay choose to get wet / a boner for a girl / dude rear end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yes, allowing the majority to vote on the rights of the minority is a grand idea that couldn't possibly go wrong!

and what glorious alternative do you propose?

• Locked thread