Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

9goats dead posted:

it actually amounts to this: i a m g a y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

spending years of your life to obtain a single data point that maybe kinda proves a minor assumption in a much larger theory isnt any better, sorry

sure it is, enough of those and the human race can go to space or something

what about people like Tesla and Einstein and many others who were responsible for more than just a data point or two?

it is all ultimately meaningless in the end of course but not all equally worthless

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Spacechem basically teaches you chemistry anyway.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I've thought the same thing OP. I think it is because one requires actual work and no one will care. Where as the other requires work and no one will care but you can brag about it to other autistics instantly online.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Because video games are fun and the world is stupid. I could have fun playing games on my own or with friends, or I could put in long hours doing something lovely and suffer sleep deprivation so some rich rear end in a top hat can buy a second yacht.

Hmm... yeah tough choice that one.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Chomp8645 posted:

Because video games are fun and the world is stupid. I could have fun playing games on my own or with friends, or I could put in long hours doing something lovely and suffer sleep deprivation so some rich rear end in a top hat can buy a second yacht.

Hmm... yeah tough choice that one.

I think the point was more along the lines "do the hard work to become the rich rear end in a top hat with the second yacht, playing video games on the open sea" rather than "get to the top of lower-management in your local fast-food restaurant", but whatever man just be yourself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

I think the point was more along the lines "do the hard work to become the rich rear end in a top hat with the second yacht, playing video games on the open sea" rather than "get to the top of lower-management in your local fast-food restaurant", but whatever man just be yourself.

How cute you think if you just work hard you'll be rich as gently caress someday.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

How cute you think if you just work hard you'll be rich as gently caress someday.

I didn't suggest in what ways one might be working hard, but it sure as hell wouldn't be on some bum career ladder.

But ain't gunna happen without hard work, unless you've already got a modicum of wealth to invest and make passive income, and the OP's point is that these guys demonstrate significant attention to detail as well as various other skills which, if applied in the right way, could lead to great success #boratquote.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

I didn't suggest in what ways one might be working hard, but it sure as hell wouldn't be on some bum career ladder.

But ain't gunna happen without hard work, unless you've already got a modicum of wealth to invest and make passive income, and the OP's point is that these guys demonstrate significant attention to detail as well as various other skills which, if applied in the right way, could lead to great success #boratquote.

lol

most wealth is inherited, most rich people don't work very hard, 'some bum career ladder' probably applies to 95% of jobs out there in the sense that you aren't going to be buying yachts ever

but yeah there's the few people that do work hard and make it

there's people that win the lottery too

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

lol

most wealth is inherited, most rich people don't work very hard, 'some bum career ladder' probably applies to 95% of jobs out there in the sense that you aren't going to be buying yachts ever

but yeah there's the few people that do work hard and make it

there's people that win the lottery too

"I never get laid because I never try talking to people I find attractive because I won't get laid"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah keep working hard then and buy those yachts and maybe one day you'll be happy

I'll just keep smoking this weed and playing these games and being happy now

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I am OK posted:

Sometimes I see a 200,000 word OP about a TV show or see somebody really analyzing and playing with numbers in a game like EVE or memorizing a books' worth of data about some mmo.... My q is this: why not funnel all that brain power and memory and effort into a trade or skill that will earn you money and respect? I'm convinced that at a basic level, it all amounts to the same thing.

It's not as fun or rewarding, either over time or, more likely, in the immediate sense

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

yeah keep working hard then and buy those yachts and maybe one day you'll be happy

I'll just keep smoking this weed and playing these games and being happy now

yeah or maybe some people get the same kick out of working hard at something that you get out of the games and weed, and can afford more games and more weed and more free time for games and weed as a result. Resentment is not a beneficial life philosophy.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

sure it is, enough of those and the human race can go to space or something

what about people like Tesla and Einstein and many others who were responsible for more than just a data point or two?

it is all ultimately meaningless in the end of course but not all equally worthless

yeah sure exceptional ppl like tesla and einstein and hitler get poo poo done all the time, but they represent such a tiny minority they basically dont count

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't resent anything, I live pretty comfortably with a good amount of money and I only have to put in 30-40 hours at my job.

I'm also not delusional and I know that more than 80% of people will remain in exactly the same position they started in their entire lives, regardless of how hard they work. Class mobility in the US is at a historic low, at the moment.

babypolis posted:

yeah sure exceptional ppl like tesla and einstein and hitler get poo poo done all the time, but they represent such a tiny minority they basically dont count

Yeah true

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

Yeah but that minority who worked hard at something is contrasted with a majority of people who think that smoking weed and playing games is all they're good for and that working hard is pointless?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah but that minority who worked hard at something is contrasted with a majority of people who think that smoking weed and playing games is all they're good for and that working hard is pointless?

are you one of those idiots who believes that literally everyone has the potential for greatness

i assure of you if one of us was the next einstein we would be getting phds at 16 and not posting in a forum

hard work is a completely worthless predictor in a remotely competitive setting because anyone can put in a lot of hard work

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

there's being a good employee and there's working yourself into an early grave to make other people more money

babypolis posted:

hard work is a completely worthless predictor in a remotely competitive setting because anyone can put in a lot of hard work

pretty much

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

are you one of those idiots who believes that literally everyone has the potential for greatness

i assure of you if one of us was the next einstein we would be getting phds at 16 and not posting in a forum

No i don't believe everyone has the potential for greatness. I also don't think resigning yourself to mediocrity is particularly rewarding. There's nothing wrong with it, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play games and smoke weed all the time. That's pretty great actually. At the same time, there IS something wrong with resenting those who do wanna work hard at something and maybe, just maybe break the glass ceiling. It's a game in itself?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Quickscope420dad posted:

No i don't believe everyone has the potential for greatness. I also don't think resigning yourself to mediocrity is particularly rewarding. There's nothing wrong with it, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play games and smoke weed all the time. That's pretty great actually. At the same time, there IS something wrong with resenting those who do wanna work hard at something and maybe, just maybe break the glass ceiling. It's a game in itself?

nothing wrong with that and i dont think anyone resents it, but it should be understood by everyone involved that only 1% will truly make it and it will be due mostly to luck

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

there's being a good employee and there's working yourself into an early grave to make other people more money

pretty much

Yeah but that makes the assumption i'm talking about being employed by someone else... why push a rock up a hill unless you really love that rock and that hill? I see a world full of people spending the majority of their waking hours working meaningless jobs they hate, praying for closing time to go home and spend those pitiful few hours doing the little things they enjoy, and I guess it's a fault of my own that I would fall into nihilistic depression if I resigned myself to that for the next 50 years.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah but that makes the assumption i'm talking about being employed by someone else... why push a rock up a hill unless you really love that rock and that hill? I see a world full of people spending the majority of their waking hours working meaningless jobs they hate, praying for closing time to go home and spend those pitiful few hours doing the little things they enjoy, and I guess it's a fault of my own that I would fall into nihilistic depression if I resigned myself to that for the next 50 years.

How often do you post on Wizardchan

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

I don't care though dude go for it, everyone should do what makes them happy.

I'm just saying be wary of working your rear end off because 'that's just what you're supposed to do' and then finding yourself at 40 one day hating your job and your life.

I'm not resigning myself to mediocrity, I just don't judge my value on the work I do for my employers or work done in the pursuit of more money and material possessions.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Widestancer posted:

How often do you post on Wizardchan

I don't know what that is but i guess this means you know about my robe and wizard hat

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

I don't care though dude go for it, everyone should do what makes them happy.

I'm just saying be wary of working your rear end off because 'that's just what you're supposed to do' and then finding yourself at 40 one day hating your job and your life.

I'm not resigning myself to mediocrity, I just don't judge my value on the work I do for my employers or work done in the pursuit of more money and material possessions.

Yeah, and I completely agree with that sentiment. I'm totally against "work your rear end off for some soulless douche" and career-ladder climbing. Hell, I don't think I can think of a single example of someone achieving greatness that way anyway. It's all through their own means right? their own passions and pursuits. On a purely financial ground, there are quite a lot of examples of people who've gone "from rags to riches" by digging their own road through the mountain rather than trying to climb over the drat thing.

And that's really cool, and something I respect, is not judging one's value on those things. At the same time, it's cool to have passions, and if those passions can pay for themselves and mean you DON'T have to work 40 hours a week doing pointless garbage...then...

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Wow I dunno how I missed that. Brb making an account

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

I am OK posted:

Sometimes I see a 200,000 word OP about a TV show or see somebody really analyzing and playing with numbers in a game like EVE or memorizing a books' worth of data about some mmo.... My q is this: why not funnel all that brain power and memory and effort into a trade or skill that will earn you money and respect? I'm convinced that at a basic level, it all amounts to the same thing.

There is problem, See here is the thing about this, you are making this great assumption that all these people doing "trades" "skill" "earning money" and getting "respect" is going to make the world a better place automatically.

Imagine a world where Hitler got into EVE online.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah, and I completely agree with that sentiment. I'm totally against "work your rear end off for some soulless douche" and career-ladder climbing. Hell, I don't think I can think of a single example of someone achieving greatness that way anyway. It's all through their own means right? their own passions and pursuits. On a purely financial ground, there are quite a lot of examples of people who've gone "from rags to riches" by digging their own road through the mountain rather than trying to climb over the drat thing.

And that's really cool, and something I respect, is not judging one's value on those things. At the same time, it's cool to have passions, and if those passions can pay for themselves and mean you DON'T have to work 40 hours a week doing pointless garbage...then...

just remember dude, rags to riches is as likely as winning the lottery

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's impossible or that everyone should just say gently caress it and never work again. I turned my passion for staring at prices and commodities in EVE online into a hobby that generates income (trading on financial markets).

But people like the OP go 'well you're just wasting your life doing activity A, you should really be devoting your energy to activity B!' and in the end it doesn't really matter.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

just remember dude, rags to riches is as likely as winning the lottery

But unlike the lottery, win or lose you make money rather than lose it (depending on the enterprise [insert Picard pic] of course)

americong
May 29, 2013

autism is in fact a powerful force of nature

attempts to train or redirect it are doomed to failure

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Moridin920 posted:

It does tend to increase your chances.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's impossible or that everyone should just say gently caress it and never work again. I turned my passion for staring at prices and commodities in EVE online into a hobby that generates income (trading on financial markets).

But people like the OP go 'well you're just wasting your life doing activity A, you should really be devoting your energy to activity B!' and in the end it doesn't really matter.

Well it does matter cos if you make a ton of ISK some goons will e impressed. It if you make a ton of money doing the same stat watching and analyzing you can send your kid to college or go on sick holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Actually this just occurred to me in response to other posts in this thread about how working hard sucks or it's more fun to game and smoke weed, etc.

How many of you know someone who says "oh i wish i had more time to work on my big project" (be it programming, art, a business startup or whatever) BUT THEN "oh i'm busy all day today, SWTOR has double XP until next week and i'm going to level through the classes i don't like".

I literally just this minute had the above conversation. Your thoughts?

• Locked thread