Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

When people speak of the Nentir Vale, they get a long look in their eyes. The oldest close them, remembering years and wonders long ago. But Nerath is gone, the ivory spires crushed under orc boots and the rivers filled with ash from dragonfires. The scholars might think of older names: Bael Turath, Arkhosia, Cerindine. If you reached down like a giant and picked up a mile or so of Vale, you’d get grasses, mostly - a copse of firs or oaks, the rare ash or birch. The grasses are wild, waist-high from stream bank to craggy rock pile, dotted with yellow cornflowers. Among those grasses lurks a kobold - gripping her spear carefully, watching for a rabbit or a deer or something else to feed her and her family today. And lurking behind the kobold is a wolverine, grown too large in dire form, looking for a kobold just like her to fall upon, red in tooth and claw. If you look deeper, turning over the stone the kobold’s standing on - yes, that large flat one - it has a carving of waves on the back, and those worn runes in Davek (the dwarven script) read “Fisherman’s Point.”

Someone loved this place once, even now that the river is dry and the grass and the trees have reclaimed the Point - someone loves that kobold too, the one thrashing for her life under that wolverine - and someone loves that dark and scaly thing winging through the air, scaring the birds as it learns how to fly, arcing on gust and draft. And we all love when this happens, when the kobold stabs the wolverine through the heart and stills it forever, a treat for her and her family for the next week: but the thing we get the most excited about? It’s later, when the kobold carves the wolverine up in her den, finding a hard thing in its belly, a necklace that when washed off glimmers gold and diamond, and sparkles with a hidden magic.

That’s what we all want to see, here in the Nentir Vale where the stones have stories and the trees guard secrets: adventure. Adventure is what you will find, you will grasp - and it is up to you whether you will hold on to its exhilarations - or lose yourself in its dangers.

Welcome to the IC thread for A Call To Heroes: The Valie Girls Ride! The OOC thread for the game is here. Please put all out-of-character notes in parentheses, and all in-character speaking in quotation marks. Dice are rolled wherever, however you see fit. We’re all adults: I trust you. You don’t need to repost your sheet, or post your character’s image with every post but you do need to bold your name. We’re going to try to make this read as smoothly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Reserved for future use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Being an adventurer in Fallcrest is hard. Like, you’ve seen adventurers before - men and women strolling into town with tons of gold coins, buying rounds and smiling with their new swords and jewels from Naerumar’s. They looked cool: they went out beyond Fallcrest, they went into secret places, and they fought evil things! High Priest Ressilmae told you about them a couple times, about how being an adventurer was dangerous but exciting, and how without adventurers the world would be a lot more dangerous than it is right now.

But whenever you brought it up at home? “No!” your parents would shout. “Never!” They’d talk about skeletons and spiders and demons and other things: they’d talk about the latest injured person in the Fallcrest Guard, some guard who broke his leg falling off the wall or something. They just didn’t get it: they didn’t get that you could do better than that, that you could smash that skeleton to bits, save that boy, slay that dragon. You could do that! It would be amazing and cool.

This wasn’t cool. Like, really not cool.

Well okay, it was cool - it was almost midnight in the middle of the Tombwood, of course it was cool outside!

When Zanne got you all together next to the Blue Moon Alehouse, all whispers and giggles, you figured it would be a lot easier than this. Like, sure! Yeah, you’ll go and check out the Tombwood at night - it’s right next to Moonstone Keep, how creepy could it be? Especially when the boys dared you, Claithe telling you to get a branch from the old white tree next to the sword in the ground. He’d been there, he said - he showed you his branch, all tiny and the whitest palest oak ever - and if he could do it, you definitely could. Jerk. But maybe you could have some fun, Zanne said - all six of you, with some supplies you got, and a night trip. It would be cool!

No one really talked about the rumours: about how the Tombwood had been abandoned for years, how there was an old graveyard left in there from the Keep, how the skeletons walked in there at night. How creepy a completely white tree sounded. And that sword in the ground - the old rusty thing sticking out of a big heap of stones, and that if you touched at it, there was an old man’s spirit that would come out! Spooky: you all heard it from older kids, gathered under your beds at night, whispering at school.

But secretly? As you all went home after making plans to meet up that night, traded your pocket money at Sandercot Provisioners for a kit of adventuring supplies, as you pulled out that weapon you’d always sort of wanted to swing from under your bed - as you promised yourself it was “just in case,” - you were all hoping that there would be skeletons, and they would come screaming, and you would get to smash one in the head and get that branch back to show Claithe. That would be better than anything right now.

But you weren’t feeling much of that right now: it was cold, somewhere among the trees here in the Tombwood. You were pretty sure you were lost, under this old big willow tree, that you’d somehow gotten lost despite Moonstone Keep being right there. Nope, you were lost, and the stars were out and your parents were worrying. And you were shivering, and the light of Zanne’s torch was getting a little less every time you looked. Could you light another if it went out? The stars were pretty bright on this cloudless night - maybe? Did adventurers worry about that much, or did they do something smart and adventurer-secret-y first? Like that woman you saw at the Blue Moon once, whispering words and making her mug glow with golden light. You could do that, right?

Wait! What was that, that sound in the bushes behind you - oh, it was a deer, as scared as you as you were right now. Poor deer. But still, what were you going to do?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Brandora

Oh dear oh dear. This is nothing like Telly and Murg- Teldorthan and Murgeddin, Brandora corrects herself mentally- said adventures go. It had started so well too! Getting information from a barkeep- well, Zanne counts, right? And then making up an adventuring pack... Alright fine it was bought at the Market Green for a few gold. But it even has rope!

They'd waited till nightfall, and Brandora thought she'd burst with excitement while waiting for the sun to go down. But Papa always said that patience of stone brings coffers of gold, so she had tried her very best to keep her fidgeting to a minimum.

But now they were here, wherever here was, under... whatever this tree is. Looking up, Brandora shivers, and not just because of the night's chill. The open skies are still strange and new after a childhood spent in the dwarven hold of Hammerfast. She takes a quick look around her to see where the others are and shuffles along to catch up.

"Are we... lost?" she asks in a whisper.

OOC: Am I doing this... right?

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Eliza

"What? No, don't be silly, Bran. Of course we're not lost!"

She couldn't help it, really. It's the first thing out of her mouth. Eliza feels the weight of the golden apple in her tunic, the soft thrum of power reassuring her even though panic would be really relieving right now. But she's out in the wild now, Melora's turf, and she couldn't give in to panic here, no matter how much she might want to. If they'd been in a cave or a building, then, yeah, maybe. Stupid, handsome Claithe daring them with his dumb beautiful blue eyes and his infuriating sexy smile. She half felt like he knew they would have gotten lost, and this was his payback for her stupid mistake back when she was just learning her powers.

Sure, Eliza had gotten a little bit better with her powers since then, but he probably hadn't forgotten at all. And here she is, in the middle of the Tombwood, in the dead of night. <Melora, I don't know if you can hear me, but I could really use some help right now. I'm supposed to be the pathfinder with the skills you gave me, so please, give me a sign.> Eliza puts her hand on a tree as she prays furiously, while trying to maintain a smile to reassure the other girls. There had to be a way to find that stupid white tree. Maybe over there?

But she hears nothing. With a sigh, the girl starts walking again. "Come on, I think it's this way. Maybe."

Nature check to find our way at 1d20+9=20. And yes, Zephonith, you're doing good!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mimi

Okay. Okay. Stay calm. Things were totally fine. I mean, this is what they'd signed up for, right? Adventure? Anything was better than being stuck in that stupid house all day, right? Yeah... totally.

Mimi puts on what she thinks is an expression of confidence. Couldn't look scared in front of the older girls. Zanne was already 19 and totally cool and had probably done this like a dozen times before. "Lost? No way. I mean, Eliza has to know where it is, right? Nothing to worry about... um. Yeah." She crosses her arms across her chest and shivers. She wished she'd worn warmer clothing. Her hood was nice and all but it didn't really keep out the cold, or the bugs. Or anything, really. The only thing stopping her from freezing was the pads in her armour, and they were worn out from practice and half eaten by moths.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Alea

She looks over at her friends trying to hide their worry, and suddenly feels pangs of guilt for still being so thrilled at their late night adventure. Admittedly, she'd done this sort of thing before during her training at Duskfall, and she'd even gotten used to waiting for Iunnen to leap out from a tree and scare her with that bramble mask she'd made. Finally going on a quest, and a quest to retrieve a branch from a haunted tree guarded by the restless spirits of the dead no less!, was something she was so happy to share with her new friends.

...Still, there is something unnerving about the night here, and this cloak she'd hastily grabbed wasn't enough to keep out the chill. Were they being watched? In trying to recall her training, she looks over at Mimi and envies the young knight's sensible armour and hood, but catches the flagging confidence in her face. Well, that's at least two people we'll have to reassure, she decides.

"Of course Eliza knows the way. She has power over the Woods, just like the Green Woman in the tale of Takthken and Yriale, who shows Yriale exactly where the goblet that Tathken threw from his castle window lies, and thus reunites the two when Yriale presents it to him disguised as a shepherd." Gib bumps against her hip for pats, and while scratching behind his ears Alea continues innocently, "And besides, we have to bring back that branch to show Claithe, right Eliza?"

How much of her training does Alea remember? Were they being watched? Perception: 1d20+11=23

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2014

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Zanne Winsomer

Zanne held her torch up high, giving it a slightly worried look. The merchant had said these were good for days of "any use you can imagine, young miss", which she'd only resented a little at the time because he'd sounded patronizing, but now she wondered if he'd ripped her off instead. It was a lot harder to find your way out here than she'd expected it to be, too. She knew how to get around Fallcrest at night, even on the dark nights where people stayed indoors and kept the windows shut. Mostly. Well, she'd done it once, and it had been scary, but she'd gotten home. All you had to do was look for the cliffs and use them to figure out where the Blue Moon was.

She looked. The cliffs were probably there, somewhere in the distance. Behind all the trees. Somewhere over there.

Probably.

Nothing for it now, though. She reached out with her free hand and tapped Solya on the shoulder, gesturing at the rest of the group with her head as they trudged off towards the edge of the trees. "Come on, we'd better stick with the rest of the group," Zanne said, smiling a little crookedly in the torch's flickering light. "Just like you always thought it would be, huh?"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solya

Ugh. This was becoming quite an unpleasant experience. It wasn't just the cold or the walking or the dirt, it was the touch of dampness in the air that really caused the chill to sink into your bones. To think that we came out here to endure this on a dare, of all things. I mean, yeah, sure, it'd sounded convincing in nice bright daylight, and it just wouldn't be right to stay behind while everyone else went, but -

Solya visibly jumped at a touch on her shoulder. It was Zanne, pointing out that rest of the group was moving away. "Yeah, sure" Solya replied quietly after taking a moment to settle her nerves. "It's great. And yes, let's continue - it wouldn't do to wander off now."

She felt another brief spike of adrenaline as Zanne's torch flickered, almost going completely dark. Every time that happened Solya felt an urge to reach for the iron rods she'd stowed in her pack. She'd mostly bought them because of the name, honestly, but Mrs. Sandercot had been very persuasive about the reliability of Sunrods. She'd even given Solya a discount, just for her! It would be awfully nice to try one out to be sure. If that torch finally died...

Hurrying after the group, Solya tried to distract herself from thinking about the torch. Perhaps there would be something really worthwhile yet to come in this... expedition. Maybe they'd find out some secret about that silly tree, or maybe that weird sword, or maybe something totally different that everyone else was too afraid to look for! Immersing herself in thought, following almost like an automaton as Eliza led the group on, Solya cast her mind back to the temple library: had she read anything that might even possibly relate to their intended purpose out here?

(Incoming knowledge checks: pick the ones that are relevant, if any - and if I had to choose one beforehand, I would pick history to check)

Arcana: 1d20+8: 17
Dungeoneering: 1d20+4: 21
History: 1d20+8: 19
Nature: 1d20+4: 18
Religion: 1d20+10: 13

(e: To be clearer, these checks are to see if I can remember more about the tree, the sword, or any other local myths/legends/history/creatures associated with this place.)

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 1, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After a moment of praying, Eliza looks among the trees and picks a direction. It's darker under the boughs, the stars covered above, but eventually you push through a stand of firs, your hands pricked by brambles and your hair caught on sticks and all tangled up. Wow, you weren't expecting this, as you half-fall forward, your boots and your hands tapping on cold stone. There's wide old flagstones here, maybe two feet across, worn smooth by rain and snow. The sky is mostly cleared here, the trees pruned back long ago and not finished reclaiming this path: it's like much of Fallcrest, just rocks where someone used to live, now turning into fields. It's reassuring in a way - the forest is dark and gloomy, but you are still pretty close to home.

You were lucky! The flagstones here are the clearest of all, and if you'd stumbled just a few yards this way or the other you'd have probably missed the path entirely! It leads away from you in two different directions - one way where the flagstones sagged, a little brook running over them, leading to a dark space beyond beneath a couple trees. The other way, you think you can make out the big shadow of the cliff that Moonstone Keep is on, the path curving away from it and towards a wide clearing among a ring of trees. Looks like there's stones and big grasses in there, it must be a meadow or something.

Which way do you go?

Eliza: Did your apple just get a little warmer for a moment in your hand? Either way, you're pretty sure this is the right way to go.

Alea: You look around you - under that log, on top of that branch, in that really creepy dark spot where you swear some demon could hide out for weeks, but you don't see anything. You think. Nothing's moving, but you try acting calm in a forest like this.

Solya: Finding out local legends - like stuff people whisper to each other at night, as opposed to stuff written down in books - is generally Streetwise. But I will give you something for your History check, in particular. You remember looking at an old map of Fallcrest in the library, from before the city was burned and turned into the town of today. It showed a wide path cutting through the Tombwood, to the Fallcrest Cemetary at the other end.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Brandora

"Good job, Eliza!" Brandora gives the taller girl a pat on the back as the group stumble across the flagstones. "Hey," she calls out to those behind her. "Eliza found a path!" She smiles at Solya. "Don't worry, we'll be there before you know it."

Standing in the middle of the path looking out, Brandora thinks she sees the cliff, and Moonstone Keep. Cliffs are a relief. Brandora knows about cliffs. The cliffs here, for example, are made of limestone and- as Master Falconlight showed her one day- it dissolves in water and aqua regia. It's used for- Brandora's mind goes blank there. Hopefully Master Falconlight won't quiz her on it too soon.

Brandora looks up and down the path, trying to recall anything that might get them out of there as quickly as possible. The Tombwood. What did people say about the Tombwood again? It's used in faerie liquor? No, that's wormwood damnit.

welp Streetwise: 1d20+4 11

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Brandora: You do remember one story about the Tombwood. A hundred years ago, when the Bloodspear Orcs came down from the mountains to smash Fallcrest and what was left of Nerath, there was one man who stayed behind to guard the city proper, while Fallcrest's army lost a terrible battle on Gardbury Downs. Ral Vandor was his name, and he fought the terrible Goraga One-Eye, orc mage, in the Tombwood, to give Fallcrest's families time to escape. Ral fought Goraga for a day and a night, harrying the orc from all sides, before everyone had left Fallcrest. At that moment, Ral knew he could not escape Goraga's wrath - but neither could he let Goraga chase after the fleeing families. Ral made his stand on a hill in the Tombwood, dancing around Goraga's famed lighting storms. The first storm came down and Ral deflected it - the bolt instead hit a nearby tree, turning it bone-white. The second was true, and Ral perished shortly after.

What became of Goraga is unknown, but people say that Ral's body lies where he died, grown over in the past century. Ral's sword - scorched, but not broken - is stuck in the bone-white tree, thrown into it by Goraga's killing blow. If you find Ral's body, the ghost-white tree and the sword on a moonless night, you can see Ral's spirit, crying silently over his skeleton. There is said to be some way to release Ral from his torment, but no one knows.

Oh, and if you look into the sky? There is no moon out tonight.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 2, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mimi

"Nice." Mimi peers around from under her bangs. "Hey, there's a clearing over there. That's good, right? Um, right?" Mimi looks at the others for a clue. Despite living in the forest for as long as they can remember, they didn't really know that much about it. I mean, she walked around in it, sure, but she didn't really study the flora or the fauna or anything. Father's education had mostly been about more academic things. Stuff like the movement of peoples through the world, or the history of old ruins like Moonstone Keep, whose gaping maw was looming over her head with a haunting wail (at least in Mimi's imagination). Nothing about the growth of forests. She didn't really have a clue if a clearing was a good thing or not. Didn't it mean there were bears nearby? Or was it that there weren't bears? Should they be climbing a tree right now? She clutched her sword a little tighter. Eliza would know this kind of thing...

Tell me about Moonstone Keep: History: 1d20+12 30

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solya

"A meadow with... rocks?" Solya peers down the trail at the clearing. "Hmm. I wonder if..."

Is there any discernible order or pattern to these "rocks" that I can pick out at this distance? Perception: 1d20+4 = 11

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 2, 2014

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Brandora

Brandora gulps as she recalls the tale of Ral Vandor's Last Stand. Suddenly, in the dark of the moonless night, this doesn't feel like such a good idea anymore. The pure white tree, the sword... B-but Ral was one of the good guys, right? And if we're Fallcrest villagers, surely he'll help us... Brandora frowns. Her study is with rocks, not ghosts drat it!

Looking at the state of her companions, Brandora decides against a retelling of the story. I can fill them in if we ever find that damned tree. "A clearing sounds promising, yes," she says to Mimi. She turns to the others. "What do you think?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Eliza

"I don't wanna talk about Claithe right now," Eliza mumbles at Alea's comment, grateful that the darkness and unsteady light from the torch hide her expression. She wasn't blushing, or anything, but she just didn't want to look grumpy. Yeah. Her eyes glide over the path, the brook and the clearing beyond. Looking for a sign, or a trail, or anything. How the heck were they supposed to find a white tree in the middle of all this nonsense, anyway? "Maybe we should try the clearing. See what's around there, and try to find another path." She takes a step forward, but waits for the other girls as she takes out her apple, the soft golden light not nearly as bright as the torch but somehow comforting, anyway. "But...better be on guard, anyway, just in case - can you go first, Zanne?"

Perception at d20+11=16.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Zanne Winsomer

Zanne rolled up her sleeves, switching the torch from hand to hand as she did so. "Okay, stay close. Remember, it'll be just like we talked about, if there's even anything there. Everyone definitely remembers how we said we'd do this, right?"

Zanne tried not to get extremely worried at the varying degrees of blank and "definitely not trying not to show fear" staring back at her.

"Okay, no problem. I'll grab 'em, whatever it is. Stick close. If you get separated, don't go running off - sit tight and we'll find you. Got it? Great," she said, stepping almost-confidently out in front and heading towards the meadow. Zanne was definitely not regretting this trip at all. Not even a little.

Nope.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Solya: Ummmm...uhhh. Yep. Those are gravestones, you're pretty sure, crooked white teeth poking up among the grasses, broken and bent.

Mimi: Moonstone Keep is Fallcrest's seat of government, the castle from which Lord Warden Markelhay fairly rules the town and the areas around it. It's a big stone castle on top of another hundred feet or so of bluff, complete with a curtain wall, barracks, stables, and other amenities. When the Bloodspear Orcs came to sack Fallcrest a hundred years ago, Moonstone Keep fell surprisingly quickly, after a single day. Legends have it there was someone on the inside, a conspirator, who either opened the gates or showed the orcs secret passages to get inside the castle. But who?

Eliza: You look around a bit more than the others. There's something moving under those dark trees at the other end of the path, big enough that you can see a sapling bend over and then snap back into place. You hope it's a cat, you really do, but it probably isn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
At Zanne's direction, you all head down the path, towards the clearing. You stick close together, pretty much shoulder to shoulder, many of you touching each other just to make sure that someone else is there and you're not alone. That would be really, really bad right now.

As you get closer to the clearing, you can see it in more detail - there's big tall flowers at the edges, sunflowers growing where they will and tulips nestled here and there. There's a sparrow cawing in the distance, and you can hear the burble of that brook behind you. It seems almost peaceful?

But unfortunately, your suspicions were correct, and this is the old Fallcrest Cemetery. The first set of stones is actually the rubble of a wall that fell over long ago, big bricks grown over with moss. In spots among them you can see bits of iron - what would have been hinges for the gate, a fragment of the sign. Beyond that is the actual tombstones and other memorials, big pieces of white limestone engraved with forgotten names. It looks like the ground has shifted a bit here with time - some stones are at odd angles, others flipped back, and some more on their faces. All of them are old, worn by the rain and the weather, hard to make out. Many of them are covered in moss, happily making new life.

The gravestones look to be in three main sections, half-circles of rows flanking a central path, and another half-circle at the back of the path. Right in the middle of the path is something odd - a campfire! It's been used multiple times, with a little pit dug out and stones collected and put around the edges to protect it from the wind. There's no fire lit right now, but it's weird to think about. Who came here and made the fire? Why would they come to this spooky place?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mimi

"I don't know if we should be here..." Mimi stares at the headstones as she skirts around them. Stupid Claithe and his tiny branch. Why had she listened to him? Well, really it was Eliza who'd gone along with his idea. Mimi had just come along because Eliza was, and also because Zanne was really cool and she didn't want to look like a dweeb. What did Eliza see in that guy anyway? He was just kinda big and dumb and... he had that nice smile, sure, but that wasn't anything special...

She jumped as a branch cracked underfoot, then frowned at herself. Her mind was wandering, trying not to think about the situation at hand. Real adventurers like her mama wouldn't be scared, right? Mama... The thought slips out of her mind as she notices the used campfire. "Um. Why is that here?"

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 5, 2014

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Brandora

"Maybe... he just couldn't afford an inn?" Brandora offers unconvincingly.

She moves to stand closer to the light cast by Zanne's torch. Brandora isn't scared of the dark, exactly. There were plenty of times when torches went out in the less used corridors of Hammerfast, and Brandora loved exploring those. Rather, the idea of the darkness extending out beyond her line of sight indefinitely, covering all manner of unknown and potentially hostile creatures... she shudders. The sight of gravestones rising like broken teeth out of the ground doesn't help. But looking closer and seeing her friends around her instills Brandora with a bit more confidence.

"Let's go take a look." It's an adventure... Right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solya

Calm. Breathe. Focus. Someone is, or was, hanging around this place regularly. They even camped here, which they wouldn't do if it wasn't safe. It's okay. We probably shouldn't linger unless we want to meet the kind of person who'd nap right by an ancient graveyard, but maybe that kind of person ought to be discovered and dealt with. There are six of us, after all. At very least the town watch should be informed. If only it wasn't the middle of the cold, dark, miserable night...

"Yes, we ought to take a closer look," Solya agreed reluctantly. "Maybe that firepit has been abandoned for years. Maybe not. Either way though, we should find out."

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Alea

Alea gives Zanne a bright smile, reassuring her. "I'm right behind you, Zanne." The tough girl shouldn't be worried on her account, and whatever it was that she thought she heard obviously isn't around anymore, so tonight's gone back to being a girls' night out for a bit of adventure. Although, a part of her does hope there might be an opportunity to face down some dangerous midnight horror or other, and she's positive they could take it. Zanne could probably take them all on, and she'd seen what Brandora could do with her spells, and she herself had never got the opportunity to unsheathe her Darkfall Blade outside of training. Oh, if only she'd thought to pack some bread and cheese!

Following Zanne out into the meadow, Alea focuses her sight on the white stones. Gravestones, huh? "Well done, Eliza!" She claps her hands. "It's got to be around these ancient gravestones somewhere, because it's the perfect place to find a haunted tree." A thought strikes her. "Oh! Solya, you don't think whoever made the firepit here might know where it is?"

Alea calls out, "Hello? Anyone around? Can you help us find the white tree? Hello?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You all huddle together and near to the firepit, looking down at its ashes. They’re…smoking? Yes, they’re smoking - someone was using this firepit quite recently, you can still feel the heat coming off of it!

There’s a pop from the edge of the clearing, a plume of black smoke exploding into the air, and some sort of purple flash. You’re blinded a moment, and when your eyes are working again, you can see a figure disappearing into the shadows of the Tombwood. Your ears are ringing, and your head aches a little bit - what was that?

You shake your head clear, and realize you have a more immediate problem. There’s a tearing sound all around you, the grinding of stone on stone as the gravestones are pushed aside, skeletal hands reaching out of the dirt, skulls rising with vicious grins. Within a moment, you’re surrounded by twelve skeletons, all of them gripping old worn weapons, their eyes wells of deadly energy. Whatever the figure did, it brought the skeletons to the surface.

This is it - the fist-clenching, heart-pumping, headache-inducing moment. As the skeletons circle around you, looking for openings, you pull your weapons out and steel your minds: it’s time to figure out if you really can do this. You hope. You really, really, don’t want to die.

But you’d better act fast, as one of the skeletons - the one wearing an ornate helmet and old, battered scale mail - stalks across the graveyard with surprising speed, its sword blow bouncing off Mimi’s armour with a loud twang!

(The skeletal captain moves to H10 and misses Mimi with a 19.)

Features:
-Light green is grass, brown is the walkway, the black circle is the fire pit. None of them have any game effect.
-Grey squares are tombstones. They count as difficult terrain and provide cover as a low wall. Pushing a creature into a tombstone deals 1d10 damage to them and slows that creature until the end of their next turn, as they extricate themselves from the rubble of the tombstone.
-The light grey lines at the bottom of the map are the ruins of the old wall. It counts as difficult terrain.
-Dark green squares are beds of nettle plants scattered around the graveyard. A creature that enters or is pushed into a dark green square is slowed (save ends), as it pulls the stinging nettles free of its legs.

Initiative!

initiative count - name (coordinates) - hp; ac defence; fortitude defence; reflex defence; will defence; special conditions
25 - Skeletal Captain (H10) - HP 29/29; AC 17; F 13; R 14; W 13
19 - Zanne (L11) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 19; R 13; W 13
19 - Alea (K13) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 13; R 14; W 15
- - Gib (L13) - HP 14/14; AC 16; F 14; R 14; W 14; aura 1
18 - Solya (J12) - HP 22/22; AC 15; F 10; R 13; W 16
18 - Mimi (I10) - HP 29/29; AC 20; F 14; R 17; W 11
17 - Brandora (J11) - HP 28/28; AC 15; F 13; R 10; W 16
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (D5) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (D11) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (G17) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (H7) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (J5) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (K15) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (L5) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (M16) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
9 - Eliza (L12) - HP 30/30; AC 17; F 14; R 12; W 15
8 - Skeletal Archer (C19) - HP 25/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13
8 - Skeletal Archer (O19) - HP 25/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13
8 - Skeletal Archer (P5) - HP 25/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13

Notes:
Minions are minion-type enemies. They only have 1 hit point; they take no damage from missed attacks or Miss: effects.
Gib’s aura provides the following effect: Allies within the aura may make a move action to teleport to another square within the aura.

Next Up: Zanne, Alea, Solya, Mimi, Brandora!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 7, 2014

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Zanne Winsomer

"Woah!" Zanne pushes forward, dropping the torch in her haste, and runs behind the man as it swings at Mimi again. She hooks both her arms under his and wrenches him backwards - he's so light - wrenching him backwards and away from her friend. "Now hey! There's no swords in... in the... oh." Zanne gulps a little as the skeleton swings his head around to face her instead. He's light because he's just bones. Because he's a skeleton. This isn't the tavern, dumbie. She grimaces and puts both of her fists up, settling down into her stance. "No hitting my friends!"

Move to G11. Use a Standard to Footwork Lure the Skeleton Captain.
Footwork Lure vs AC: 1d20+9 28 1d8+4 11
That's a hit! 11 damage to the Skeleton Captain and he's Marked until the end of my next turn. I use Footwork Lure's ability to shift to F10, sliding the Captain into the G11 spot I vacated.

pre:
Zanne Winsomer
HP: 28/28 (THP:-)	AC:   18        Encounter		Daily
Surges: 10/10 (v: 6)	Fort: 20	[ ] Disciplined Counter [ ] Seize and Stab
Speed: 5	        Ref:  12  	[ ] Funneling Flurry 
Initiative:    +1	Will: 12	[ ] Heroic Effort
P. Perception: 16                       [ ] Second Wind
P. Insight:    11                       [ ] Action Point
Action Points: 1                         

At-wills
Grappling Strike
Footwork Lure

Opportunity Attack:
Grappling Strike: +11 vs AC, 1d8+5

Trained Skills: Athletics +10, Endurance +6, Perception +6, Streetwise +5

Conditionals: The first time each round an enemy marked and adjacent to me shifts or makes an attack
that doesn't include me, make a MBA. The first time each fight an enemy adjacent to me misses me with
a melee attack, use Disciplined Counter.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Brandora

Brandora gulps. Human skeletons are so big! And that guy next to Mimi is the biggest of all of them! She needs to do something quickly. Oh dear oh dear... She draws her staff from her back and mutters to herself, "I hope this will work".

Using Elemental Bolt on the Skeletal Captain. It hits and does 11, and he's also slowed till the end of my next turn

Elemental Bolt vs Reflex: 1d20+4 18 1d12+7 11

pre:
Brandora Goldenforge
HP: 28/28 (THP:-)	AC:   15        P. Perception: 10		
Surges: 9/9 (v: 7)	Fort: 13	P. Insight:    10
Speed: 5	        Ref:  10  	Action Points: 1  
Initiative:    +0	Will: 16	Vision: Low-Light 
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Primordial                       

At Will			Encounter			     
Elemental Bolt		[ ] Dwarven Resilience
Erupting Earth		[ ] Elemental Escalation 
                        [ ] Vezzuvu's Eruption 

Melee Basic Attack (Staff): +6 vs AC; 1d8+2 damage

Trained Skills: Arcana +5, Dungeoneering +7, Diplomacy +11, Bluff +9

Conditionals/Resists:
Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 against poison
Earth Elementalist: Elemental bolt deals acid damage and slows hit targets
till end of your next turn
Encumbered Speed: Armor or heavy load does not reduce speed
Stand Your Ground: Can move 1sq less with forced movement; can make saving throw 
to avoid falling prone from attack

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mimi

Hoo. Okay. Okay. This was it. This was what she'd set out to do. Adventure. Excitement. Fighting skeletons. Breathe. Breathe. Okay, not that fast. She closes her eyes and tries to stay calm, tries to remember mama's arms guiding hers, the steps she'd been shown. What was the stance? Shift her weight lower, put her feet here and here... okay.

She opened her eyes and began to run. Vaulting over a gravestone - the stone digging into her palms, ow ow ow - she puts herself right between two skeletons. She keeps them at bay with a few slashes, but they're ineffectual - turns out it's quite hard to stab someone when they're made out of bone, and she hits nothing but air.

Minor: activate Defender Aura in Burst 1 around me. Until I end it as a minor or I fall unconscious, any enemy in the aura takes -2 to attack rolls when it makes an attack not including me. Any enemy in the aura who shifts away or attacks an ally other than me also provokes Feywild Guardian as an opportunity action.
Move: to I6, skirting around the J8 gravestone to avoid the OA. (flanked by the skeletons)
Standard: Melee Basic Attack vs Skeleton H7 AC: 1d20+9 13 1d8+5 10 Miss

pre:
Mimi							
HP: 29/29 (THP: )	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 11/11 (V: 7)	For:  14	Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +1		Ref:  17	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 11	Second Wind: [ ]	
Vision: Low-light

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Feywild Guardian        [ ] Fey Step	                [ ] Swordmage Warding
Defend the Line         [ ] Power Strike
Glimmering Blade
Defender Aura

Melee Basic Attack (Longsword): 1d20+9 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage; and effect depending on stance

Conditionals:
Eladrin Will: +5 to saves against Charm effects

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 7, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solya

Six of us, Solya thought numbly as the earth erupted all around them. Six of us! We'd have any simple brigand handily outnumbered! What on earth is a necromancer doing here in Fallcrest!? We're not even beyond the walls!

Things became a blur. Zanne and Mimi were already in motion. Solya heard a fizzing crackle from her left as Brandora let loose with a spell. Her own eyes were drawn to the churning earth to her right as a skeletal corpse ripped itself from the ground. The horrifying, defiled form drew itself upright, and her momentary paralysis shattered in a fresh surge of adrenaline as the thing turned it's empty eye sockets to face her. Stepping back, Solya grasped at the holy sun symbol hanging 'round her neck and flung her other hand out towards the monstrosity.

Her aim wasn't even close.

-

Attack with Lance of Faith targeting the Skeleton in G17 (which has cover from the tombstone), then Shift to K12.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 11, which misses the target's Reflex 16 (14+2 from cover).

pre:
Solya   						 
HP: 22/22 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 7/7 (V: 5)       Fort: 10    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  13    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 16    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Primordial, Draconic

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Lance of Faith          [ ] Divine Glow                      [ ] Cascade of Light
Blessing of Knowledge   [ ] Thunderwave                      
                        [ ] Infernal Wrath
                        [ ] Use Vulnerability
                        [ ] Divine Fortune
                        [ ] Healer's Mercy
                        [ ][ ] Healing Word
                        [ ] Action Point

Melee Basic Attack (Dagger): +7 vs AC; 1d4+2 damage
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): +3 vs AC; 1d4 damage

Conditionals/Resists:
Fire Resistance: Resist 5 fire.
Bloodhunt: +1 to attacks against bloodied foes.
Infernal Wrath: May use Infernal Wrath power when hit by an enemy within 10 squares.  Current Conditional: use Infernal Wrath if struck.
Healer's Lore: +4 hp recovered when allowing a healing surge via Cleric healing powers.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Alea

Lowering her hands from her shouting, Alea gazes in surprise at the hideous shapes of the restless dead rising up around them, the baleful light clammily highlighting their decrepit and sinister bones. Zanne's shout, the snap of Brandora's spell behind her, the movement of Mimi's armoured frame around the gravestones, Solya's call on Pelor all startle her. Actual undead! Here! Now! The unquiet forces of the dead were coming to punish the young girls for their arrogance!

Alea grins happily in the darkness. Now this is an adventure!

Cloak unfurling behind her, Alea charges into the shadows yelling over her shoulder, "There's one with a bow back here! I'll get it!"

Dancing between the gravestones, Gib bounding by her side, Alea levels her hefty blade at the archer, giving a happy shout of "Love's blade calls on you to return to your grave!" before landing a sweeping blow to the creature's body. Alea dances back with the momentum of the blade, avoiding the shards of bone flying from the hit and vaulting onto the low wall behind her as the skeleton stumbles forward moaning.

Minor to declare Oath of Enmity on Archer at O19.
Move to P18 (Gib to P17), both avoiding OAs.
Standard will be Overwhelming Strike on the Archer: 2d20+6 13 (Whew!) for 1d12+4 8 damage, Shift to Q18 (Wild Step ignores difficult terrain) and Slide Archer to P18.

pre:
Alea                           
HP: 28/28 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 9/9 (V: 7)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 21
Initiative: +3 (+11)     Ref:  14    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7                 Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will                      Encounter                    Daily
Bond of Pursuit              [X] Oath of Enmity           [ ] Aspect of Might
Overwhelming Strike          [ ] Angelic Alacrity
                             [ ] Channel Divinity                 
                                 -Abjure Undead
                                 -Divine Guidance
                             [ ] Second Wind

Melee Basic Attack (Big Sword): +6 vs AC; 1d12+2 damage
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): +6 vs AC; 1d4+3 damage

Conditionals/Resists:
Sense Threat: Perception check for Initiative, allies with lower Init gain +2 to the roll
Group Awareness: Allies without pointy ears in 5 sq gain +1 to Perception

Coward fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You all spring into action, scattering to take on your attackers from all sides. But it’s more difficult to fight a deadly opponent than you thought - even these brittle bones and rotting cartilages dodge better than any man in Fallcrest!

Adventuring, it turns out, is really harder than it looks.

The skeletons jabber at each other, their jaws clattering teeth on teeth in a horrible approximation of a song, then rush at you from all sides! All sides is especially important for Mimi, who is surrounded on all sides, the skeletons pinning her down and tearing at her!

Two more of them come clattering down, clawing away at Brandora and Eliza!

Getting hurt hits - it’s not like practicing, they’re tearing right through your armour and your skin, ribbons of pain lacing down your sides as they grab and tear whatever they can. This is to the death!

(A decrepit skeleton moves to H5 and misses Mimi with a 14 versus AC.
A decrepit skeleton shifts to E10 and misses Zanne with a 15 versus AC. Then it shifts to D10.
A decrepit skeleton charges to I12 and hits Brandora with a 19 for 4 damage!
A decrepit skeleton hits Mimi with a 26 versus AC for 4 damage!
A decrepit skeleton hits Mimi with a 20 versus AC for 4 damage!
A decrepit skeleton shifts to L14, then L13, then hits Eliza with an 18 versus AC for 4 damage!
A decrepit skeleton charges to J7 and hits Mimi with a 25 versus AC for 4 damage!
A decrepit skeleton charges to O17 and misses Gib with a 15.)

Features:
-Light green is grass, brown is the walkway, the black circle is the fire pit. None of them have any game effect.
-Grey squares are tombstones. They count as difficult terrain and provide cover as a low wall. Pushing a creature into a tombstone deals 1d10 damage to them and slows that creature until the end of their next turn, as they extricate themselves from the rubble of the tombstone.
-The light grey lines at the bottom of the map are the ruins of the old wall. It counts as difficult terrain.
-Dark green squares are beds of nettle plants scattered around the graveyard. A creature that enters or is pushed into a dark green square is slowed (save ends), as it pulls the stinging nettles free of its legs.

Initiative!

initiative count - name (coordinates) - hp; ac defence; fortitude defence; reflex defence; will defence; special conditions
25 - Skeletal Captain (G11) - HP 7/29; AC 17; F 13; R 14; W 13; marked by Zanne, bloodied, slowed until the end of Brandora’s next turn
19 - Zanne (F10) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 19; R 13; W 13
19 - Alea (Q18) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 13; R 14; W 15
- - Gib (P17) - HP 14/14; AC 16; F 14; R 14; W 14; aura 1
18 - Solya (K12) - HP 22/22; AC 15; F 10; R 13; W 16
18 - Mimi (I6) - HP 17/29; AC 20; F 14; R 17; W 11; aura 1: defender aura
17 - Brandora (J11) - HP 24/28; AC 15; F 13; R 10; W 16
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (H5) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (D10) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (I12) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (J5) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (L13) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (J7) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (O17) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
9 - Eliza (L12) - HP 26/30; AC 17; F 14; R 12; W 15
8 - Skeletal Archer (C19) - HP 25/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13
8 - Skeletal Archer (P18) - HP 17/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13; oath of enmity (from Alea)

Notes:
Orange circles are Zanne’s mark.
Minions are minion-type enemies. They only have 1 hit point; they take no damage from missed attacks or Miss: effects.
Gib’s aura provides the following effect: Allies within the aura may make a move action to teleport to another square within the aura.
Mimi’s defender aura provides the following effect: Any attacks from enemies within the aura that target an ally and not Mimi take a -2 penalty. An enemy that shifts or attacks one of Mimi’s allies provokes Feywild Guardian as an opportunity action.

Next Up: Eliza!

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Zanne Winsomer

"Hey!" Zanne said, wincing as the skeleton landed a solid hit on her side, leaving her with a deep gash and retreating out of the way. "Come back here with that, that's mine!" She reached her arm out and grabbed for the skeleton, getting a firm grip on its arm and pulling. It took another step, then two, then three away before the legs collapsed, leaving Zanne staring at the skeleton's torso and head in her arms. She dropped it with a yelp and kicked it away, spinning off into the night.

Using Combat ChallengeDisciplined Counter as an Immediate Interrupt to make an attack against the skeleton after it misses me.
Disciplined Counter vs AC: 1d20+9 26 1d8+4 5

pre:
Zanne Winsomer
HP: 24/28 (THP:-)	AC:   18        Encounter		Daily
Surges: 10/10 (v: 6)	Fort: 20	[X] Disciplined Counter [ ] Seize and Stab

At-wills
Grappling Strike
Footwork Lure

Opportunity Attack:

Conditionals: The first time each round an enemy marked and adjacent to me shifts or makes an attack
that doesn't include me, make a MBA. The first time each fight an enemy adjacent to me misses me with

RPZip fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 12, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Eliza

"Ouch!" Eliza flinches away from the skeleton that hacked at her, before raising her apple high in the air. She wasn't a fighter, really. Never had been. But her friends were counting on her, so she had to do something. "Melora, I know I've not been too great at this whole chosen one thing so far, but I could really use some of those powers right about now!" The golden fruit glows brightly, and underneath Mimi's feet, a puddle of water forms that suddenly starts swirling wildly about her. Some of the skeletons fall apart, their barely-together bones pulled away from one another by the force of the vortex. "Yeah! Eat it, skeletons!" she whoops with an abundant smile.

Move; Shift to K11
Standard; Grasping Tide vs Mimi & 4 decrepits at 5x1d20+5=10,8,23,20,18. Three skeletons are destroyed!

pre:
Eliza   						 
HP: 26/30 (THP: )        AC:   17    Passive Insight: 21
Surges: 8/8 (V: 9)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 21
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  12    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Primordial

Fire Hawk               [ ] Cast Fortune                     [ ] Lightning Arc
Grasping Tide           [ ] Frost Flash                      
Savage Rend             [ ] Knack For Success                      
Wild Shape              [ ] Second Wind

Conditionals/Resists:
Group Diplomacy: Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 bonus to Diplomacy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The skeleton holding a bow at the back of the graveyard makes its way forward, weaving among the gravestones to take up a position. Then it pulls the rotting string of its bow, snapping off arrows quicker than you can see! Its arrows strike true, piercing through Solya and Brandora’s armour, their blood streaming from their wounds!

The skeleton Alea chased after backs up and fires a shot at her, but it bounces off her armour. To the west, another skeleton staggers forward, firing a wild shot at Mimi that bounces off a gravestone with a pting! and gets nowhere near her.

Zanne cries out in pain, as the well-armoured skeleton deals her a mighty blow, cutting down her side with its sword!

(A skeletal archer moves to I17. It hits Solya with a 17 versus AC for 12 damage and hits Brandora with a 23 versus AC for 10 damage.
A skeletal archer shifts to O19 and misses Alea with a 15 versus AC.
A skeletal archer moves to M4 and misses Mimi with an 8 versus AC.
The skeletal captain crits Zanne with a 28 versus AC for 13 damage! It then shifts to F12.)

Features:

Initiative!

25 - Skeletal Captain (F12) - HP 7/29; AC 17; F 13; R 14; W 13; marked by Zanne, bloodied, slowed until the end of Brandora’s next turn
19 - Zanne (F10) - HP 15/28; AC 18; F 19; R 13; W 13
19 - Alea (Q18) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 13; R 14; W 15
- - Gib (P17) - HP 14/14; AC 16; F 14; R 14; W 14; aura 1
18 - Solya (K12) - HP 10/22; AC 15; F 10; R 13; W 16; bloodied
18 - Mimi (I6) - HP 17/29; AC 20; F 14; R 17; W 11; aura 1: defender aura
17 - Brandora (J11) - HP 14/28; AC 15; F 13; R 10; W 16; bloodied
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (I12) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
9 - Eliza (K11) - HP 26/30; AC 17; F 14; R 12; W 15
8 - Skeletal Archer (I17) - HP 25/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13
8 - Skeletal Archer (O19) - HP 17/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13; oath of enmity (from Alea)

Notes:
Mimi’s defender aura provides the following effect: Any attacks from enemies within the aura that target an ally and not Mimi take a -2 penalty. An enemy that shifts or attacks one of Mimi’s allies provokes Feywild Guardian as an opportunity action.

Next Up: Zanne, Alea, Solya, Mimi, Brandora!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 13, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Mimi

Mimi whimpers in pain as the skeleton blades close in on her, then ducks for cover as something explodes in her ear. She stays there, hands over her head, for a fair few seconds before she peeks up. Oh. They're gone. That had to have been Eliza. She turns to thank her friend before realising that not quite all the skeletons were dead... or undead... or redead... whatever.

Caught off guard, her hasty slash doesn't touch a thing. "Okay, screw this," she mumbles. Time to get out of there. How did it go again? It had been so long. Again she tried to recall her mama's voice. Close your eyes. That's it, love. Now take a deep breath, and push it out your nose, and step with it... She feels a warm breeze on her face, sweet and enchanting for just a moment, before the forest's chill returns. She opens her eyes, and there she is, halfway across the field... although her feet were covered in ashes. She'd stepped right into the firepit. Oops.

Minor: Glimmering Blade stance! Until the stance ends, teleport 2 to a square adjacent to enemy each time I hit with an MBA.
Standard: Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+9 14 1d8+5 10 Whiff
Move: Fey Step! Teleport 5 squares to I11.

pre:
Mimi							
HP: 17/29 (THP: )	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 11/11 (V: 7)	For:  14	Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +1		Ref:  17	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 11	Second Wind: [ ]	
Vision: Low-light

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Feywild Guardian        [x] Fey Step	                [ ] Swordmage Warding
Defend the Line         [ ] Power Strike
Glimmering Blade
Defender Aura

Melee Basic Attack (Longsword): 1d20+9 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage; and effect depending on stance

Conditionals:
Eladrin Will: +5 to saves against Charm effects

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solya

Solya utters a wordless cry of pain and anger as her magic reflexively lashes out toward the arrow's source. Her arcane fire has little effect. Flailing desperately with her dagger at the skeleton within arm's reach, she calls out to Pelor for aid.

In response to being struck, Solya uses Infernal Wrath on the skeletal archer at I17. It takes 1d6+3 = 4 damage.

Then her own turn:
Move: shift to K13.
Minor: Healing Word on herself. Solya spends a healing surge and recovers 1d6+9 = 15 capped at 12 hit points (5 for the surge, 4 for Healer's Lore, plus 1D6 for Healing Word).
Standard: Blessing of Knowledge against the decrepit skeleton at L13. 1d20+7 = 8 misses AC 16.

pre:
Solya   						 
HP: 22/22 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 6/7 (V: 5)       Fort: 10    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  13    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 16    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Primordial, Draconic

Lance of Faith          [ ] Divine Glow                      [ ] Cascade of Light
Blessing of Knowledge   [ ] Thunderwave                      
                        [x] Infernal Wrath
                        [ ] Use Vulnerability
                        [ ] Divine Fortune
                        [ ] Healer's Mercy
                        [x][ ] Healing Word
                        [ ] Action Point

Melee Basic Attack (Dagger): +7 vs AC; 1d4+2 damage
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): +3 vs AC; 1d4 damage

Conditionals/Resists:
Fire Resistance: Resist 5 fire.
Bloodhunt: +1 to attacks against bloodied foes.
Infernal Wrath: May use Infernal Wrath power when hit by an enemy within 10 squares.  Current Conditional: None; Infernal Wrath has already been spent.
Healer's Lore: +4 hp recovered when allowing a healing surge via Cleric healing powers.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Zanne Winsomer

Zanne cries out as the big skeleton takes advantage of her distraction, blazing pain running down her right side as he carves a deep line into her ribs. She spins, eyes blazing, and steps forward to knee the skeleton right in the bits just like Gummy Adams had taught her. This didn't quite work - skeletons aren't known for their 'bits' - but the blow did send the skeleton tumbling backwards. Zanne groaned, clutching at her side and wincing. "drat, drat drat drat that hurt."

Move to F13. Standard to use Grappling Strike against the Skeleton Captain.
Grappling Strike vs AC: 1d20+9 22 1d8+4 9
9 damage to the Captain and he's grappled until the end of my next turn, and also dead.

pre:
Zanne Winsomer
HP: 12/28 (THP:-)	AC:   18        Encounter		Daily
Surges: 10/10 (v: 6)	Fort: 20	[X] Disciplined Counter [ ] Seize and Stab

At-wills
Grappling Strike
Footwork Lure

Opportunity Attack:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Alea

The arrow ricochets off the hilt of Alea's sword and she gasps in surprise as it shrieks past her ear. Sehanine's embrace, that was an actual shot that could have gone straight through her! She had been trained well and had almost nearly started finishing that training, but the chillingly sinister grin of the archer in the graveyard gloom was making all that training seem like childish games. Swallowing hard, she hears the shouts from her friends and then feels the sudden worry turn into righteous anger as Sehanine's fury begins to boil within her.

"Gib!" she yells in the Elven command voice taught at Duskfall as she rips off her cloak, "Close the crescent, boy!" She runs along the top of the low wall and then flips down to the ground before once again rolling up on top of another gravestone beside the archer. Gib snaps his tentacles and growls from behind the skeletal bowman, gaining his attention and opening him. Alea leaps from the top of the gravestone, her massive two-handed sword flying to powerfully slam straight across the archer's body, shattering it totally and dashing the pieces against the headstone. "Ha HA! Just like when Anithoril laid siege to Ban'Sharmae in the Romance of Niannu!" she shouts, wobbling and still spinning slightly from the back momentum of the swing.

Turning toward her next target, she levels the sword again. "Hey, you! No shooting my friends! I'm coming, girls!"

Move to O20, Gib telports to O18.
Standard: Overwhelming Strike on O19: 2d20k1+6 (+2 CA) 28, Crit! 16 damage, plus High Crit: 1d12 6, plus 5 for Censure of Pursuit for a total of 27 damage, killing the archer. Shift to N20 and slide corpse of the corpse into the Gravestone at O20 as part of Overwhelming Strike.
Regain use of Oath of Enmity.
Minor to use Oath of Enmity on Archer at I17.
Immediate Interrupt to use Channel Divinity: Divine Guidance to give Brandora another roll on her attack against my Oath target.

pre:
Alea                           
HP: 28/28 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 9/9 (V: 7)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 21
Initiative: +3 (+11)     Ref:  14    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7                 Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will                      Encounter                    Daily
Bond of Pursuit              [X] Oath of Enmity           [ ] Aspect of Might
Overwhelming Strike          [ ] Angelic Alacrity
                             [X] Channel Divinity                 
                                 -Abjure Undead
                                 -Divine Guidance
                             [ ] Second Wind

Melee Basic Attack (Big Sword): +6 vs AC; 1d12+2 damage
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): +6 vs AC; 1d4+3 damage

Conditionals/Resists:
Sense Threat: Perception check for Initiative, allies with lower Init gain +2 to the roll
Group Awareness: Allies without pointy ears in 5 sq gain +1 to Perception

Coward fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 14, 2014

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Brandora Goldenforge

Brandora gasps in shock as the arrow speeds towards her. It hits, and for a second she feels nothing. But then the pain begins, and her eyes water. Brandora furiously tries to remember what her Papa always told her when she hurt herself. "Dwarven blood and Dwarven bone, like molten steel and ancient stone." She mutters it to herself over and over, gritting her teeth against the pain from the skeleton's arrow as she tugs it out carefully.

She sidesteps the skeleton beside her and brings her staff up again, full of renewed strength. She glares at the skeleton archer. From across the clearing, Alea chants some words which, miraculously, give her some time to prepare her attack. Brandora gives a nod in Alea's direction, then flings her arm out, trying a complicated figure of eight that Master Falconlight taught her. The first time she loses her grip and her staff wobbles in the middle. Her brow furrowed, she attempts it again and the shape is perfect. A green bolt flies from the end of Brandora's staff, splits into two and hits the skeleton near her. The second bolt lands on the tombstone in front of a skeleton archer with a hiss.

"Thanks!" she calls out to Alea.

Minor: Use Dwarven Resilience to use Second Wind to heal 7HP and gain +2 to all defences till the end of her next turn.
Move: Shift to K10
Free: Use Elemental Escalation (Earth) on Decrepit Skeleton at I12
Standard: Use Elemental Bolt on Skeletal Archer at I17 Elemental Bolt vs Reflex; Extra damage from Elemental Escalation: 1d20+4 9 1d12+7 8 1d10 6

2nd roll to hit with Divine Guidance from Alea: 1d20+4 14 which is a hit on the Decrepit Skeleton but misses the Skeletal Archer due to cover. 8 damage from Elemental Bolt plus an extra 6 damage to the Decrepit Skeleton from Elemental Escalation, and Elemental Escalation gives +4HP of temporary HP.
pre:
Brandora Goldenforge
HP: 21/28 (THP:4)	AC:   15        P. Perception: 10		
Surges: 8/9 (v: 7)	Fort: 13	P. Insight:    10
Speed: 5	        Ref:  10  	Action Points: 1  
Initiative:    +0	Will: 16	Vision: Low-Light 
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Primordial                       

At Will			Encounter			     
Elemental Bolt		[x] Dwarven Resilience
Erupting Earth		[ ] Elemental Escalation 
                        [ ] Vezzuvu's Eruption 

Melee Basic Attack (Staff): +6 vs AC; 1d8+2 damage

Trained Skills: Arcana +5, Dungeoneering +7, Diplomacy +11, Bluff +9

Conditionals/Resists:
Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 against poison
Earth Elementalist: Elemental bolt deals acid damage and slows hit targets
till end of your next turn
Encumbered Speed: Armor or heavy load does not reduce speed
Stand Your Ground: Can move 1sq less with forced movement; can make saving throw 
to avoid falling prone from attack
Edit for move action
Edit2: Divine Guidance from Alea
Edit3: Cover!

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 14, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In a flurry of explosions and weapon blows, you cut down many of the skeletons. You’ve reached into yourselves, touched reservoirs of power you never thought you’d get to use, prayed to your gods - and found the strength you hoped you had. You can do this! It’s like everything you’ve learned has been waiting for this moment, in the dusk and the dark, where you can become heroes in this broken old graveyard.

But heroes don’t quit, and there’s still skeletons thirsty for your blood. Your blood? What do skeletons eat anyway?

One of them charges forwards, following Mimi through her elfin teleport, slashing at her side - drawing blood through her armour! Just on the other side of your melee, another skeleton whirls around and slices away at Solya, dealing her another wound! And to the south, another skeleton chops down at Gib, dealing the poor dog a blow with an old, jagged blade!

(A decrepit skeleton charges to I10 and hits Mimi with a 20 versus AC for 4 damage.
A decrepit skeleton hits Solya with a 24 versus AC for 4 damage.
A decrepit skeleton crits Gib with a natural 20 versus AC for 4 damage.)

Features:

Initiative!

19 - Zanne (F13) - HP 15/28; AC 18; F 19; R 13; W 13
19 - Alea (N20) - HP 28/28; AC 18; F 13; R 14; W 15
- - Gib (O18) - HP 10/14; AC 16; F 14; R 14; W 14; aura 1
18 - Solya (K13) - HP 18/22; AC 15; F 10; R 13; W 16
18 - Mimi (I11) - HP 13/29; AC 20; F 14; R 17; W 11; aura 1: defender aura, bloodied
17 - Brandora (J11) - HP 25 (21)/28; AC 17 (15); F 15 (13); R 12 (10); W 18 (16); +2 to all defenses (until the end of her next turn)
17 - Decrepit Skeleton (I10) - HP 1/1; AC 16; F 13; R 14; W 13; minion
9 - Eliza (K11) - HP 26/30; AC 17; F 14; R 12; W 15
8 - Skeletal Archer (I17) - HP 21/25; AC 13; F 13; R 14; W 13; oath of enmity (from Alea)

Notes:

Next Up: Eliza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Eliza

"Oh no...hang in there, girls!" Eliza says, looking worriedly around at her friends getting hit all around her. Looking at one of the archers all the way in the back, she raises her apple again; but this time, the golden light only flickers before dying out. "Oh, come on! This is so not the time to be useless, you stupid fruit!"

Standard; Fire Hawk vs Archer M4 at 1d20+5=6.

pre:
Eliza   						 
HP: 26/30 (THP: )        AC:   17    Passive Insight: 21
Surges: 8/8 (V: 9)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 21
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  12    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Primordial

Fire Hawk               [ ] Cast Fortune                     [ ] Lightning Arc
Grasping Tide           [ ] Frost Flash                      
Savage Rend             [ ] Knack For Success                      
Wild Shape              [ ] Second Wind

Conditionals/Resists:
Group Diplomacy: Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 bonus to Diplomacy.

• Locked thread