Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

InsomniacTurtle posted:

So me and a friend bought this game, played a bit of co-op this morning and quit. How can we both join the same game again with the same characters and continue playing? There doesn't seem to be an option for that.

Here's how co-op works because I imagine it's going to come up a lot:

One of you will be the host, they hold the savegame. Go to Options-> Game -> Multiplayer and set your visibility accordingly. For example, if you'd like to mostly play solo and have Steam friends hotseat in from time to time, toggle it to Friends. From the main menu, New Game -> Multiplayer will take you to the character creation lobby. A buddy can now Join you from the main menu and create their own character, or you can make both yourself. To load a coop game in progress, just have the host load the save game and whomever can join.

Really, hosting a Multiplayer works entirely the same as single player except you can have a buddy or random internet stranger (not recommended) control half your party. Quicksave before a fight. Something went horribly wrong? Quickload just like in single player and your coop buddy loads right back with you seamlessly. You don't control their inventory but again they can't really gently caress you over SAVE OFTEN and worst case just quit the game and reload it on your own, play it single player.

Edit: oh I forgot, when you hit "b" (default) to toggle overhead/isometric view, it also highlights enemies red and allies blue. Extremely useful.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Woland posted:

I just bought the Collectors Edition on steam earlier today, but I could'nt find the second copy of the game thats supposed to come with it. I apologized if its been covered in the thread, I skimmed over it, but anyone know where I get the second gift copy/key?

It's in your inventory on steam- look to the top right, there should be a icon that lets you see 'items' (thing like steam summer cards, etc). It's there.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Phew this game can be tough if you take a wrong turn. Might have been a lack of companions but definitely died a lot on my first night co-op.

Btw if anyone is having constant DC's in coop like we suffered tonight, running it on a hamatchi like LAN solved the problem.

Woland
Nov 7, 2005

Arkeus posted:

It's in your inventory on steam- look to the top right, there should be a icon that lets you see 'items' (thing like steam summer cards, etc). It's there.

Thats what I would have assumed, but my gift inventory is empty. I emailed steam support so maybe ill have to wait to hear from them

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I backed this on Kickstarter but decided not to play it until it was finished. Really pleased with it so far but it's pretty tough. Seems like every fight is against a million skeletons with bows who NEVER miss. Having the spider summon spell to add an extra meat shield has been a godsend.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This game is great in terms of how the two character system works, and I like the large depth of the skill tress. There's a lot going on in how you can interact with the world and that's cool. The character pep talks are fantastic, and I like the seemingly random bonuses you get from dialogues. I like that I don't have to toggle between real time and turnbased, the game does it for me. I hated that aspect of the Balder's Gate/Neverwinter Nights/Dragon Age games.

However I have a quite a few complaints; the interface handles like rear end and the camera is klunky as poo poo(thank god you can make it 360 degrees). There needed to be a toggle group/single mode like other games because manually having to set each of my characters to stealth is very annoying. Combat is fairly hard and it feels like D&D 4th Edition where the difficulty of the monsters just assumes that you've min-maxed everything, and balances around that. Oh new spell, new weapon, new armor oh I can't use it because I haven't been dropping every possible point into that stat/skill? Oh well, sucks to be me. The dialogue r/p/s minigame is just a waste of time, it seems to be just as random as if they rolled a single die based on a hidden percentage.

The crafting is completely obtuse and a colossal pain in the rear end; I don't mind that you need to find the skill book first, but at least just list what all I can make under recipes instead of keeping the stupid flavor text. gently caress any of you if you suggest that this somehow enhances my game because I have to remember or make a list of all the obtuse stories that relate how two items can be combined, which brings me to my next complaint is that a lot of poo poo doesn't stack and that's annoying as well. Also whoever had the idea to literally drag and drop said items onto one another instead of just having a "crafting interface" is a moron.

I like this game, but it's definitely an uphill battle.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 1, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone else having issues with the performance of the game? The intro video stutters like crazy, and when I'm playing, it stutters like mad. The intro screens and character creation are all fine, though. Even setting graphics to "very low" hasn't helped. It's frustrating, I've been really looking forwards to this game and I can't play it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think opinions on crafting are going to be really divided. On one hand, this is trying to be an old-school RPG with a focus on exploration and interaction with the lore, NPCs, and environment. There really aren't that many fights in this game at all. I would be fine with crafting being a discovery process, but maybe after I find that X + Y = Z it could enter that as a recipe and I don't have to scratch my head to remember every combination later? Mostly my gripe is that inventory management is a pain in the dick. I wouldn't mind them forcing crafting as a process of experimentation and exploration if you didn't have to manually shuffle each individual item between inventories from whomever looted it to your ID guy to your crafting guy.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

PaybackJack posted:

Oh new spell, new weapon, new armor oh I can't use it because I haven't been dropping every possible point into that stat/skill? Oh well, sucks to be me.

Yeah, I ended up restarting in beta because I needed to level up to use new items so I wouldn't die, but couldn't level up because I kept dying. The second time I tried stacking str/dex/int as fast as possible (whichever stat is that character's gear requirement stat). If you use your first few ability points to get that stat to ~ 10, you'll be able to use just about everything that drops for you and won't have to worry about pumping that stat for a while.

Your life is easier if you absolutely never start out with anything less than 7-8 in your primary attack stat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leb posted:

How the hell is anyone making it past the character creation stage? There were too many options and what if I chose the wrong one and awww gently caress it, I'll just reroll.

I hate this beach. I hate this game. Time to roll a new character. :unsmith:

I bought the game early in EA and played it several times but never made it past entering the first town, I spent all of that time constantly rerolling to figure out what character combo I wanted to play :unsmith: I ended up settling on an Archer/Geomancer and a Witch/Pyromancer and I'm loving it.

The combat in this game is fantastic, I don't agree with complaints that you need to min/max or that it's too hard, the difficulty is just right - I feel like I actually have to think about what I'm doing and can't just breeze through it, but it's loaded with little systems and weird unconventional ways to solve encounters.

I doubt I'll ever beat it because I don't like text in video games and I'm only interested if the combat system is fun, so I'm completely lost, speed-clicking through dialog while wandering the countryside and looking for cool new things to fight. I think I'm going to try out just killing all of the NPCs since it's apparently possible. I didn't bother doing any quests in town because they seemed to be all about things that I'm not interested in like talking to NPCs and solving mysteries. I stole a bunch of paintings and sold them around town to buy skill books then ran away to slay undead - it's like a party-based, turn-based tactical version of the way I play Elder Scrolls games.

I would murder for a randomly-generated roguelike kind of game in this engine.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 1, 2014

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Did they really make crafting require reading books? I figured out 15-20 different combinations by trial and error and I hope that is still the case.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
Looks like the Divinity games still have horrible autosave. Lost an hour because some stupid room exploded...

Also, could you give me any hint what i have to do with the 4 big statues? I talked to them and have no idea what to do next.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oh god, I can't get a portrait I like to match my 3D model. Why couldn't it have an option for custom portraits? :negative:

Literally restarting to design my model off the limited pool of portraits. :cry:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fintilgin posted:

Oh god, I can't get a portrait I like to match my 3D model. Why couldn't it have an option for custom portraits? :negative:

I ended up picking hair style and color based on the portraits, no lie.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Caik posted:

Looks like the Divinity games still have horrible autosave. Lost an hour because some stupid room exploded...

Also, could you give me any hint what i have to do with the 4 big statues? I talked to them and have no idea what to do next.

Just set the quicksave counter up to like 10 or so and quicksave when not a lot of stuff is happening.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Leb posted:

How the hell is anyone making it past the character creation stage? There were too many options and what if I chose the wrong one and awww gently caress it, I'll just reroll.

I hate this beach. I hate this game. Time to roll a new character. :unsmith:

Me and my partner both rolled characters exclusively on what sounded/looked cool and just stuck with them. :dealwithit:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Me and my partner both rolled characters exclusively on what sounded/looked cool and just stuck with them. :dealwithit:

My problem with that is, there's no dual shield combat in this game. More games should take a cue from ToME Stone Wardens. :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Caik posted:

Hint: Four statues, one for each element...

Full-blown spoiler: cast damage spell of each element onto the statue of that respective element to free and fight each demon in turn

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Hint: Four statues, one for each element...

Full-blown spoiler: cast damage spell of each element onto the statue of that respective element to free and fight each demon in turn

Thanks.

On the topic of one for each element. There are two rooms in the forest and each of them has one pillar for each element. What do I have to do with them?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Has anyone found a skillbook for the spider summoning skill? I've talked to a ton of merchants but no luck.

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
Just to be clear, I read early on this was 4 player co op. is that the case?

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. Giggles posted:

Just to be clear, I read early on this was 4 player co op. is that the case?

Nope, it never was 4 player co-op.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Caik posted:

Thanks.

On the topic of one for each element. There are two rooms in the forest and each of them has one pillar for each element. What do I have to do with them?

That's a separate secret and I had a lot of fun figuring the puzzle out. Hint: mirror is mentioned on the tablets. MIRROR.

for an additional hint (seriously I don't want to give it all away it's clever and simple): you have to use a game mechanic introduced in the tutorial dungeon and probably used sparingly otherwise to this point.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 1, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can't even pay me money to put a skill point into crafting at this point.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rascyc posted:

You can't even pay me money to put a skill point into crafting at this point.

Is there ever a point where it's 'necessary'? I don't like the idea of lugging around ingredients and poring over which ones to keep and what they do; it seems like just one point is enough to make special arrows and lockpicks, what the heck else would I need it for?

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
As far as I've seen it's perfectly viable to just ignore crafting. Crafting is mainly meant to be a way to make/save money from what I understand.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So what does a 'Suspicious Mound' actually look like? I've got the shovel and I've been going over the whole starting area with a fine comb. Can't find a drat thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fintilgin posted:

Literally restarting to design my model off the limited pool of portraits. :cry:

I broke my sword in ten minutes, but it's okay because I got a hammer. I'm rocking a battlemage and a wayfarer, the wayfarer having healing spells and pet summons, the mage having fire and rushing attacks so far. I can't use heavy armor (yet) but that's ok. So far my biggest complaints are inventory management kind of sucks and the camera gets in the way all the time.

Good to know I should never bother putting points into crafting past 1, too. I guess that trait is paying off.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I may start over, because I screwed up with my character portraits. The characters look different but I forgot the change the portraits, very confusing. Is there any way to change once the game started?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Black Cove:

Alright, I've been stuck for hours and have no idea what to do. Defeated the abomination, went into the pirate's office. There's a book implying there's some trap door and I eventually found a lever next to the dining table that when pulled did something. I was hoping it would open that gate where you fight the orcs and skelies but nope. Character says "Oh that's what that does!" when it's pulled but I haven't noticed a thing. I've reloaded a few times just to be sure I didn't miss anything. Ended up googling for an answer and apparently there's supposed to be some painting of a woman I need to destroy to push a button? I must be blind because I can't find anything like that and I feel I've scoured this place including the other rooms.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

immortal flow posted:

So what does a 'Suspicious Mound' actually look like? I've got the shovel and I've been going over the whole starting area with a fine comb. Can't find a drat thing.

Yeah I bought a treasure map and when I get to the location where the treasure is I don't see anything. I must be missing something.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Okay the whole homestead and that end of time bit - not a huge fan, I was much more interested in the murder mystery, but the combat is fun and enjoyable regardless.

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

Annexed posted:

Yeah I bought a treasure map and when I get to the location where the treasure is I don't see anything. I must be missing something.

Try equipping your shovel from your inventory in the spot. Also is anyone else kind of stuck in this game? Every quest I have leads to an area with 10+ enemies all at least 1 level higher than we are, which leads to us getting stomped every time. I'm not sure where to go from here and it's a bit troubling.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

Black Cove:

Alright, I've been stuck for hours and have no idea what to do. Defeated the abomination, went into the pirate's office. There's a book implying there's some trap door and I eventually found a lever next to the dining table that when pulled did something. I was hoping it would open that gate where you fight the orcs and skelies but nope. Character says "Oh that's what that does!" when it's pulled but I haven't noticed a thing. I've reloaded a few times just to be sure I didn't miss anything. Ended up googling for an answer and apparently there's supposed to be some painting of a woman I need to destroy to push a button? I must be blind because I can't find anything like that and I feel I've scoured this place including the other rooms.

said painting is in that pirate "office" near the table. you'll know it because you're unable to loot it like other paintings, ctrl + click to destroy it. there will be a hatch that reveals, down it is a really devilishly fun puzzle :getin:

InsomniacTurtle posted:

Try equipping your shovel from your inventory in the spot. Also is anyone else kind of stuck in this game? Every quest I have leads to an area with 10+ enemies all at least 1 level higher than we are, which leads to us getting stomped every time. I'm not sure where to go from here and it's a bit troubling.

Quest around town until you're level 3 with a full 4-person party. Then head west until you can beat the lighthouse boss. You should hit level 4 with the quest XP around town plus some of the undead west of town. A ton of really powerful skill books unlock at level 4.

Edit: the difficulty curve is less of a wall after that. You don't get much beyond starting options for abilities until level 4, and the combat difficulty between pre-town tutorial and leaving town west is a huge jump. It's really balanced around having a full 4-person party.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 1, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

InsomniacTurtle posted:

Also is anyone else kind of stuck in this game? Every quest I have leads to an area with 10+ enemies all at least 1 level higher than we are, which leads to us getting stomped every time. I'm not sure where to go from here and it's a bit troubling.

Are you using lots of consumables and crowd control skills? Big groups of enemies one level ahead of me haven't really been a problem for my party making liberal use of scrolls and special arrows, crowd control skills and fun Teleport gimmickry (Teleport their mage in to your melee; teleport an oil/poison barrel on to the group of enemies then shoot the oil/poison with a fire spell/arrow; slow a melee enemy then teleport him way far away from the battle, etc).

Can anyone spoil something in the Hidden Crypt under a sleeping mat northwest of town in a house full of skeletons and exploding skeletons? There's a rat inside who told me not to mess with the grave unless I want to face the strongest ghost that ever 'lived', and I'm ready to take on a strong-rear end ghost, but clicking the grave only makes a clicking sound and doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need enough strength to move the lid off of it or something?

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Are you using lots of consumables and crowd control skills? Big groups of enemies one level ahead of me haven't really been a problem for my party making liberal use of scrolls and special arrows, crowd control skills and fun Teleport gimmickry (Teleport their mage in to your melee; teleport an oil/poison barrel on to the group of enemies then shoot the oil/poison with a fire spell/arrow; slow a melee enemy then teleport him way far away from the battle, etc).

I try, but consumables are pretty expensive to start with, and if I don't kill the packs in one turn, they just mob up and sweep us regardless of what we can dish out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

InsomniacTurtle posted:

I try, but consumables are pretty expensive to start with, and if I don't kill the packs in one turn, they just mob up and sweep us regardless of what we can dish out.

Is your game single or coop? Feel free to add me on Steam (same ID) and I can hop in and try to help you out

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Did you pick up both companions in Cyseal? Jahan has a buttload of crowd control right off the bat and Madora makes a great meat shield that sometimes ignores death. I'm also using the Spider summon which seems tanky enough to distract a few enemies while I mop up the rest, I can see it being significantly harder without that guy around.

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Is your game single or coop? Feel free to add me on Steam (same ID) and I can hop in and try to help you out

Yeah it's co-op but thanks for the offer c:

I feel like we're just not setting stuff up right or something; sometimes I can get a wicked firebarrel + fire arrow combo and kill 5 people, but when I try tackling the 10+ people outside the robot cave, there isn't much to play with.

Also, where else can I get rez scrolls? Both of my companions are laying face down in puddles of poison..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

There's some crash involving vendors, is there a way to send crash logs somewhere?

• Locked thread