Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Pellisworth posted:

said painting is in that pirate "office" near the table. you'll know it because you're unable to loot it like other paintings, ctrl + click to destroy it. there will be a hatch that reveals, down it is a really devilishly fun puzzle :getin:

I'm in that room. The one with the pirate notes and the lever in the corner? With the gated door to the harbour? Where one of your characters remarks that it's an office? There's no painting. There's no such painting in the other 2 rooms either. I feel like I'm losing my god drat mind haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I should have bought this yesterday on Steam.

What's the cheapest way to get this / dlc stuff?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

InsomniacTurtle posted:

So me and a friend bought this game, played a bit of co-op this morning and quit. How can we both join the same game again with the same characters and continue playing? There doesn't seem to be an option for that.

The host has to save the game. You did save, right? There should be some autosaves if nothing else. The host loads the game, then the co-op player joins the host's game, simple as that. Make sure the host is controlling the character he was before the partner joins unless you want to switch roles. Added to the FAQ.

Delacroix posted:

Did they really make crafting require reading books? I figured out 15-20 different combinations by trial and error and I hope that is still the case.

Trial and Error still works, the books are just hints. And yes, a better crafting interface, and recipes that show just what you need to do and not the flavour text have been requested a lot.

Mr. Giggles posted:

Just to be clear, I read early on this was 4 player co op. is that the case?

Not in the main campaign, although with mods it's possible, and Larian might polish up and release a mod that allows 4-player co-op.

Annexed posted:

Yeah I bought a treasure map and when I get to the location where the treasure is I don't see anything. I must be missing something.

You might need more Perception to see it. I was wondering if getting a map would let you see things you normally didn't have enough Perception to see, but I never tested it.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I like that borderless fullscreen is called "fake fullscreen." Except it locks the mouse to my main monitor... Is there an app that can fix this?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

I'm in that room. The one with the pirate notes and the lever in the corner? With the gated door to the harbour? Where one of your characters remarks that it's an office? There's no painting. There's no such painting in the other 2 rooms either. I feel like I'm losing my god drat mind haha.

Ok sorry, I'm not at that point yet just going off memory from beta. There are I think two rooms? A back room that connects to the stairs down to the docks and the ghost NPCs there. Then there's the main room with a desk and table that's all lit up. In the NW corner of that room there will be a trap door down to a puzzle room. I forget all how to activate the trap door, but it involves breaking the painting in the main room there. It's near the table, on the SW face of a wall. It won't highlight when you hold Alt because it's not lootable, you have to mouse over and ctrl + click to attack and break it to look a key as I recall. Hope that helps.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving incredible. Some guy joined my game and..
"I dont understand the concept of this gmae"
"why evertime I log in I am a different charter"

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

That's a separate secret and I had a lot of fun figuring the puzzle out. Hint: mirror is mentioned on the tablets. MIRROR.

for an additional hint (seriously I don't want to give it all away it's clever and simple): you have to use a game mechanic introduced in the tutorial dungeon and probably used sparingly otherwise to this point.

Putting these Pendants on the pedestals was the hardest part in the game so far.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Does it matter which character has Lucky Charm? Or should I only be looting things with the character that has Lucky Charm?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Mustang posted:

Does it matter which character has Lucky Charm? Or should I only be looting things with the character that has Lucky Charm?

It does matter which character does the opening but you only need to seriously worry about Lucky Charm when you have 3-4 ranks into it. Early on it doesn't really kick in.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Acquire Currency! posted:

loving incredible. Some guy joined my game and..
"I dont understand the concept of this gmae"
"why evertime I log in I am a different charter"

Does.. does he think this is an MMO??

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's not like there's really been a coop RPG since Neverwinter Nights, and it does have world chat...

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
When do you get more variety of companions? My main duo is basically the same as the two companions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do I just bash a door down with my weapon? I can target them just fine with hotbar moves, but I figured left-clicking with weapon drawn would work and it still gives me the "poo poo's locked" message.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do I just bash a door down with my weapon? I can target them just fine with hotbar moves, but I figured left-clicking with weapon drawn would work and it still gives me the "poo poo's locked" message.

Ctrl-click just like to smash anything else

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

WYA posted:

When do you get more variety of companions? My main duo is basically the same as the two companions.

Jahan and Madora are the only 2 full-fledged companions, but when you unlock the first portal at the end of time it leads to a room with a huge feast table. At the far end of that room there's a guy who lets you hire henchmen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gigawhite posted:

Ctrl-click just like to smash anything else
...shows how much I know. I hadn't smashed ANYTHING in that way! Thanks.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Honorific! posted:

Jahan and Madora are the only 2 full-fledged companions, but when you unlock the first portal at the end of time it leads to a room with a huge feast table. At the far end of that room there's a guy who lets you hire henchmen.

Thats super lame, maybe I should reroll my characters?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My weapons are getting low on durability, and I saw a loading screen message that told me to repair my stuff. How do I accomplish that?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Are you using lots of consumables and crowd control skills? Big groups of enemies one level ahead of me haven't really been a problem for my party making liberal use of scrolls and special arrows, crowd control skills and fun Teleport gimmickry (Teleport their mage in to your melee; teleport an oil/poison barrel on to the group of enemies then shoot the oil/poison with a fire spell/arrow; slow a melee enemy then teleport him way far away from the battle, etc).

Can anyone spoil something in the Hidden Crypt under a sleeping mat northwest of town in a house full of skeletons and exploding skeletons? There's a rat inside who told me not to mess with the grave unless I want to face the strongest ghost that ever 'lived', and I'm ready to take on a strong-rear end ghost, but clicking the grave only makes a clicking sound and doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need enough strength to move the lid off of it or something?

Did anyone figure the spoiler out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Did anyone figure the spoiler out?

I haven't. I assumed my STR wasn't high enough.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It was answered a little earlier in the thread. You have to move the lid by click-dragging, not just click on it.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
So I basically got home and played this for seven hours or so.

Holy poo poo I love this game. I've had a few weird bug things, and I have one problem that I'm not sure if I can fix now that the game' started -- I didn't assign an AI to the 'other' main character, and it's pretty annoying/nonsensical for me to provide responses for the both of them. Other than that, though, I'm really liking the game. Some of the battles are incredibly intense affairs, I really enjoy it so far.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm in the same boat. I put in 8 hours today after work. Holy poo poo, this game is fantastic. I haven't hit any bugs yet, except for the stutter in the opening screen. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. I just started doing combat stuff. Most of this time I was just putzing around the city doing quests. This game is great.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend and I are playing co-op and I think we made a mistake by one of us taking Charisma and Politician. We agree on what we should do for all of the choices and Charisma is only used against your other main character. Maybe we'll actually disagree on something but then it's going to be drat hard for me to win any of the arguments if I really tried.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Incidentally, is there any other way to heal besides your combat skills because man it's inconvenient as heck to do it that way.

KingKapalone posted:

My friend and I are playing co-op and I think we made a mistake by one of us taking Charisma and Politician. We agree on what we should do for all of the choices and Charisma is only used against your other main character. Maybe we'll actually disagree on something but then it's going to be drat hard for me to win any of the arguments if I really tried.

You can and do use charisma in other cases, though the rock paper scissors thing is way too luck based for my comfort.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Iron Rose posted:

Incidentally, is there any other way to heal besides your combat skills because man it's inconvenient as heck to do it that way.

Potions, food, and lying in beds (at least two free beds are available in the West Cyseal area if you are level 3 and can handle a few undead.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
So far I'm not enjoying this game nearly as much as I thought I would. It's got the issue where you get to the first town and have to spend way too long finding all of the named NPCs and walking back and forth between them to do their FedEx quests. Plus I've hit some dead ends on a few of those quests (I can't advance the Murder plot without breaking into people's houses right in front of them to find their personal items to give to the dog, I can't find the evidence to give the Captain about the Crazy Elf who wants to kill the Orc Librarian, etc.) or maybe I'm just missing alternative solutions, who knows, but I've talked to literally everyone I can think of. Then there was the utterly lame and unnecessary twist 30 minutes in where you are the CHOSEN ONE who is going to save the universe from the darkness blah blah blah standard over-the-top boring fantasy poo poo. Not to mention the game doesn't look nearly as good or as fluid as in all of the trailers that were released. Hopefully things pick up later when I finish this town and start to see some more of the combat, which seemed pretty good from what I've seen of it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

You should be able to nap in beds to restore health, and food restores health as well. Cooking is a very useful thing to do early on.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two questions:

Is it worthwhile taking Leadership on both your characters, or should you just get it on one of them?

Are there unique items you can only get by crafting, or does crafting only save you money on things you could otherwise buy from merchants / shops?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This loving game. Trap door on a cliff spoiler I decided to see what was inside the trapdoor on that cliff inside the main city so I teleported roderick over and it was neat how it automatically teleported my entire party in there once he zoned in. Turned out to be a hidden lair of a bunch of cultists! Was a really fun time to see what was in there.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Burginator posted:

So I basically got home and played this for seven hours or so.

Holy poo poo I love this game. I've had a few weird bug things, and I have one problem that I'm not sure if I can fix now that the game' started -- I didn't assign an AI to the 'other' main character, and it's pretty annoying/nonsensical for me to provide responses for the both of them. Other than that, though, I'm really liking the game. Some of the battles are incredibly intense affairs, I really enjoy it so far.

This is probably the best way to play the game, as the way your characters respond give them personality bonuses. This is the only way you can have any control of those bonuses. The "AI" right now is just 100% random. Personalities are being added later.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Potions, food, and lying in beds (at least two free beds are available in the West Cyseal area if you are level 3 and can handle a few undead.

Where IS the west cyseal area? By the well you come out? Because I thought it was by the docks but that lead to level 6 orcs who kicked my poo poo in.

Delacroix posted:

You should be able to nap in beds to restore health, and food restores health as well. Cooking is a very useful thing to do early on.

Also how do I cook? I have a cooking pot but no clue what to do with it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Where IS the west cyseal area? By the well you come out? Because I thought it was by the docks but that lead to level 6 orcs who kicked my poo poo in.

Also how do I cook? I have a cooking pot but no clue what to do with it.

The western cyseal gate (as well as the north and eastern gates that go further into the map) is above the harbour area, where the legionaries are camped. You'll notice the greenery and cobblestone path.

Cooking can be done by interacting with a campfire kitchen (you can make one by placing a normal cooking pot over an campfire, there's one in the legion camp too). You can find books on cooking recipes but it's fairly straightforward. Some ingredients may want to be smashed or cut up, shoved in a oven or in the campfire kitchen.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So if I use a stat potion, like "intelligence potion", is that a permanent effect or is it a temporary thing I use for combat?

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

pun pundit posted:

My weapons are getting low on durability, and I saw a loading screen message that told me to repair my stuff. How do I accomplish that?

You can go to vendors and one of the 3 buttons at the bottom of the trading menu is the repair button. It costs money, just like identifying does. Or if you have a character with blacksmith skill and a repair hammer, you can do it yourself.

Adam Bowen posted:

So far I'm not enjoying this game nearly as much as I thought I would. It's got the issue where you get to the first town and have to spend way too long finding all of the named NPCs and walking back and forth between them to do their FedEx quests. Plus I've hit some dead ends on a few of those quests (I can't advance the Murder plot without breaking into people's houses right in front of them to find their personal items to give to the dog, I can't find the evidence to give the Captain about the Crazy Elf who wants to kill the Orc Librarian, etc.) or maybe I'm just missing alternative solutions, who knows, but I've talked to literally everyone I can think of. Then there was the utterly lame and unnecessary twist 30 minutes in where you are the CHOSEN ONE who is going to save the universe from the darkness blah blah blah standard over-the-top boring fantasy poo poo. Not to mention the game doesn't look nearly as good or as fluid as in all of the trailers that were released. Hopefully things pick up later when I finish this town and start to see some more of the combat, which seemed pretty good from what I've seen of it.

Yeah, I found Cyseal really dense and hard to unravel at first. If you want some help to smooth your way, quest hints are below:

Murder plot: Break into Esmerelda's house if you haven't yet. You can find a key on the 2nd floor of her building. Check around for alternate entrances so you don't have to break in right in front of a guard.

Elf: Trying to resolve the quest by getting evidence requires some pickpocket skill. If you don't have that, talk to the mayor about the elf's plot and he'll suggest an alternative.

Combat: If you haven't yet, check out the graveyard. There's combat stuff there you can do at level 2/3. Also, when you head out the west gate, before you go too far west, head northwest. You should find some people to help. That quest is a good into to the area.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

WYA posted:

Thats super lame, maybe I should reroll my characters?

I already put 9 hours into the game and I'm thinking of restarting now that I know there's only 2 Companions in at the moment and Jahan overlaps with one of my main characters :( since I don't want to use the barebones henchmen

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Initial impressions:

Ranger/rogue starting party really blows. I was going for kind of a theme with my two characters, but now I'm struggling with every fight.

The way multiplayer works is weird. A guy joined my game and then took over my cleric, and then when he leveled up he put his point into witchcraft, which I now can't undo. :argh: If you can't join a game and use your own character, I don't see what the point of this system is.

The repeating voiced dialogue in certain parts of town is really, really annoying.

Wish there was a way to maximize the distance you travel without spending all your AP or pixel hunting with the mouse to find the longest distance.

loving crafting, how does it work? Think I've figured most of it out, but then I tried to put a pot on a campfire in the inn and it didn't create the mobile kitchen properly, and then when I did make the mobile kitchen, there were some things that I couldn't put on it.

I definitely see the classic RPG influences though. Ultima 7 is probably one of my favorite games ever, and the way that you open a container and see the shape of the container pop up on the screen makes me smile. And I think the guy who fell to his death is kind of a nod to Morrowind's icarian flight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

WYA posted:

You rolled a senile old woman and a timeless demon hunter?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Phlegmish posted:

You rolled a senile old woman and a timeless demon hunter?

Think he means he rolled a big armored two-handed hitmans dude and a water/air mage dude, which would indeed suck a lot to play some hours and find out the only two companions are dupes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was exploring the areas around Cyseal having a good time and came across some chests I didn't have the keys to. I decided long ago just setting chests on fire and casting spells on them over and over until they opened was the best course of action rather than waste lockpicks. One of them dropped my first piece of legendary equipment a ring that gives +1 loremaster, +1 telekinesis, +1 speed, +15% fire resist and allows me to cast ice shard the skill no matter what just straight up a free skill. I love this game so much.

• Locked thread