Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Little bird just chilling in the middle of the road so I stopped to pick it up. Thought it might have a broken wing or foot or something so took it home to figure out what to do with it. I know there's wildlife departments in most cities, but I'm not sure if the one here is Animal Control or something separate?

Preferably looking for something to drop it off at that it won't automatically euthanize it.

From what I can tell, it's dehydrated but not too bad (feisty!) Already picked off some dried poop off it's bum and looked up what that means and I guess it means it needs water and romaine or similar to help it with it's water content?

It's hanging out on my patio in an open container so if something clicks and it really is able to fly, then it's free to do so. Have put in some watered paper towels, and a little condiment cup of water. Plan on putting in some romaine or similar soon.

I'm almost positive there are no broken bones as I put it in a kind of shallow large box and it hopped and tried to fly to the edge, then hopped and flew off my balcony before I could get to it, but then fluttered and flapped and managed to semi-fly down to the ground and land. I think the poop was weighing it down (this was before I took it off, poor thing) as it was about the same size as a marble which I would think is a lot for such a small bird. Put it in a container with higher sides but s/he can still fly out if they can do it.

Ideas, or Wildlife office phone number/website?

p.s. it's some kind of sparrow with a light yellow chest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

cover it in mayo and put it on your bbq

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
did you actually

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Raise it like a dog

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
your falconry career is just beginning, op

e: hence the thread tag, i see. maybe PI can help?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The birds must be taken alive; once captured they are either blinded or kept in a lightless box for a month to gorge on millet, grapes, and figs, a technique apparently taken from the decadent cooks of Imperial Rome who called the birds beccafico, or "fig-pecker". When they've reached four times their normal size, they're drowned in a snifter of Armagnac.

Cooking l'ortolan is simplicity itself. Simply pop them in a high oven for six to eight minutes and serve. The secret is entirely in the eating. First you cover your head with a traditional embroidered cloth. Then place the entire four-ounce bird into your mouth. Only its head should dangle out from between your lips. Bite off the head and discard. L'ortolan should be served immediately; it is meant to be so hot that you must rest it on your tongue while inhaling rapidly through your mouth. This cools the bird, but its real purpose is to force you to allow its ambrosial fat to cascade freely down your throat.

When cool, begin to chew. It should take about 15 minutes to work your way through the breast and wings, the delicately crackling bones, and on to the inner organs. Devotees claim they can taste the bird's entire life as they chew in the darkness: the wheat of Morocco, the salt air of the Mediterranean, the lavender of Provence. The pea-sized lungs and heart, saturated with Armagnac from its drowning, are said to burst in a liqueur-scented flower on the diner's tongue. Enjoy with a good Bordeaux.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Update: The bird has officially been depooped. Ran it's butt under water for a minute and lightly swatted at it's poophole with a paintbrush. Didn't see anything but maybe something finally dislodged because the second I put it back in it's box it poop! yay! Also, fed it some cherry tomatoes (held it near it's face and it started pecking at it a few times) and there's some spinach and dried cranberries in there so hopefully that's all ok.
maybe when it dries off it will be able to fly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Put it in ur gay rear end

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I just got back from whole foods and they were out of organic romaine lettuce, does anyone know if birds are okay with eating kale?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Three Olives posted:

I just got back from whole foods and they were out of organic romaine lettuce, does anyone know if birds are okay with eating kale?

this is the bougiest post in the history of the bourgeoisie

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
First, give it some water, then you should post pictures of the bird. Pictures make everything better, so maybe they'll make the bird better. If that fails, add accessories to the bird; a laser, an x-acto knife, a helmet for safety, whatever flies your bird. Some vintage Ray-Bans may also help make your bird fly. Once complete, post pictures of bird makeover, then use a drone to deliver the bird to the sky.

Edit: go to local fishing bait and tackle shop, and buy a ton of worms. Give worms to bird, make happy bird.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

take it to a wildlife rehad facility you fuckin clown

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
no dude they do not like loving kale

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

no dude they do not like loving kale

what are you a birdfoodologist? gtfo

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you want it to die a slow and painful death.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
uh dont feed a bird kale jeez

go to a pet store and get some dang birdseed

Plastics.
May 3, 2012
one word
Grimey Drawer
OP I can't tell from your post if the bird is a fledgling or an adult but either way it doesn't sound like it needs to go to a shelter, especially if nothing seems to be broken. I used to work at a wild bird rehab and the first thing they told concerned citizens was just to move the birds out of harm's way (which you did) and wait. Juveniles are too dumb to know better about dogs and roads and adults sometimes fly into windows and buildings and get temporarily stunned.

Giving it water is a good idea. At the shelter all the songbirds were given a crumbled up hard boiled egg yolk, peeled grapes, meal worms, and dry cat food (wetted and mashed up), which they could pick at as it suited them. You probably have at least some of those around if you're concerned about food and hydration.

If it flies away, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't flop to the ground and get eaten by a dog or something.

Edit: cherry tomatoes are basically water and sugar so those are good too

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I know birds like seeds so made it some fresh basil pesto but it doesn't seem interested in it. I don't know what I am doing wrong, maybe the olive oil wasn't fresh enough?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

u should try some of those gastro-science reductions i hear birds are into essence of suet

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

have you been feeling broody lately, thinking about having children a lot?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
birds prefer wine reductions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

op should start gathering twigs for nesting

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
you're going to have to kill the bird so start mentally preparing yourself for this

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I've put on a sounds of nature CD which appears to have improved the mood of the bird. I have a few episodes of Nature on my TiVo, I wonder if I should put my phone into the box so it can watch the episode with the otter rescue, maybe seeing other animals being rehabilitated would put it in a better place emotionally. Do birds like TV?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bishop posted:

you're going to have to kill the bird so start mentally preparing yourself for this

just bite its head off in one quick move

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

whats the name of that book about the kid who doesn't want to choke birds but his family makes him, it was terrible

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
Options:
1. Eat Bird
2. Teach Bird Swears
3. Make Bird Gay

Please pick 2.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
you should put it next to a space heater and become mod of PI

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Cum on the bird and post pic

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Die in your bedroom and see how long it takes for the bird to notice

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
op u r a giant fagot

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Gosh, I think I'm being trolled here!

MODS.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

1. Go to your computer
2. If you're already there, great halfway done
3. Open your Internet Browser. This probably looks like an E with a planetary ring around it or a ship's wheel.
4. Go th te address bar. This is at the top. This is where you compose destinations. Yoou're about to go to a Web Destination right now.
5. Type in the space (keyboard is near your hands) forums.somethingawful.com
6. This is an Internet Message Board ,where you can interact with people from around the world .

edit: Between steps 5 and 6, hit the enter key

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I tricked it into eating tomatoes :) It tries to peck out anytime my hand comes within two feet of it, so I grabbed a tomato and put it a couple inches from his/her face. S/he pecked at me and then hit the tomato instead and got interested in that instead for a little while.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
him name hopkin green bird

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
make the bird gay

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot: