Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboHoboCop
Dec 9, 2011
Well since they didn't show a body she could still be alive. Even if she is dead I totally expect her to be brought back to life with "dome magic" since she's one of the 4 chosen ones or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
don't count on it

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Apparently I can't resist watching a show this loving terrible. I didn't think it could get worse, but somehow it did! My favorite part was probably the science teacher responding to Barbie's "We need to move everyone" by pointing at the school and saying, "Right here. To the school. Where we are." as if no one else in the room with her realized that they were at the school. Worst written show I have ever seen.

And also the incredibly selective magnetism, Joe's insanely wooden acting (how the gently caress did this kid get hired?), and just about everything else. Ugh. Just so bad, but can't look away!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

It's like the most horrific car crash ever. :allears:

Actually kinda fitting considering the source material

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
1) If the dome is a sphere, and the sphere's surface is magnetized, would anything inside even feel a difference, since the pull is uniform and counters each other, like being at the center of the earth?

2) I thought the point of the drop in a gallows is to break the hangee's neck at the stop? I don't think cutting the rope afterwards would do much except to get the dead body out of the way.

3) I liked when the bar lady put the trash in the cans. So they still have regular trash pickup, nice!

4) I love the new major characters out of nowhere. Where were they hiding?

5) It looks like they are setting up the 'faith in the dome' vs. Science. LOST anyone?

PowerBuilder3 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

PowerBuilder3 posted:

2) I thought the point of the drop in a gallows is to break the hangee's neck at the stop? I don't think cutting the rope afterwards would do much except to get the dead body out of the way.

Well for the neck to break during the drop it would depend on two things: the length of the drop and the person's neck (how much fat/muscle, tense or relaxed, etc...). Since these people had never built gallows before I could imagine that it was more akin to someone hanging himself by kicking a chair from under him than an actual gallow. Possibly, 'Big' Jim lived up to his name. Probably a little bit of Column A, a little bit from Column B

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

4) I love the new major characters out of nowhere. Where were they hiding?

Science lady was busy all last season building her model of the dome, she never left the house... or showerd.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

1) If the dome is a sphere, and the sphere's surface is magnetized, would anything inside even feel a difference, since the pull is uniform and counters each other, like being at the center of the earth?
Inverse square law applies. As soon you deviate from the center of a sphere where there's a magnetic/gravitational pull generated on the outer layer of it, it'll pull you towards the direction you're biased to.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Apparently I can't resist watching a show this loving terrible. I didn't think it could get worse, but somehow it did! My favorite part was probably the science teacher responding to Barbie's "We need to move everyone" by pointing at the school and saying, "Right here. To the school. Where we are." as if no one else in the room with her realized that they were at the school. Worst written show I have ever seen.

I actually find it loving fascinating how little regard this show has for its audience. Like, I'm used to shows treating their audiences like idiots. That's fine and all, but this show just consistently goes out of its way to explain and re-explain things. I can never remember anyone's name on this show, but the scene in the first season where the kid leads the journalist lady out to the minidome was one of the most jaw droppingly stupid exposition dumps I've ever seen on TV. You have to be actively trying to waste your audience's time to come up with something like that.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Paradoxish posted:

I actually find it loving fascinating how little regard this show has for its audience. Like, I'm used to shows treating their audiences like idiots. That's fine and all, but this show just consistently goes out of its way to explain and re-explain things. I can never remember anyone's name on this show, but the scene in the first season where the kid leads the journalist lady out to the minidome was one of the most jaw droppingly stupid exposition dumps I've ever seen on TV. You have to be actively trying to waste your audience's time to come up with something like that.

Exactly. And you have to be a complete idiot, or just not paying attention at all to not understand what's happening most of the time. When they're building the "electromagnet", and Joe (the kid) is like, "Do you really think this electromagnet will help to counteract the blah blah blah..." This happens less than five minutes after that plan was conceived. It did not need to be recapped. It's no wonder the cast seems so bored all the time.

I want to think it's CBS' fault more than the writers, but I think it's probably an equal share of blame.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Inverse square law applies. As soon you deviate from the center of a sphere where there's a magnetic/gravitational pull generated on the outer layer of it, it'll pull you towards the direction you're biased to.

It's zero for gravity

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/sphshell2.html

- so I guess it should be for magnetism too? It's been a long time since I did any physics.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 7, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Unkempt posted:

It's zero for gravity

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/sphshell2.html

- so I guess it should be for magnetism too? It's been a long time since I did any physics.
I rather doubt that, since there's a difference to a discrete number of magnetic (mono-)poles on a spherical shell and a center of gravity of a mass.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Is Stephen King back on drugs? I can't see how else he's signing off on this. Then again, he's always been pretty weird about adaptations of his stuff.

I like how the school teacher is always writing something in a notebook, that lets you know some science is happening

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Someone really needs to make a reel showcasing the acting talents of this show, especially for DJ Sheriff. Edit: Big Jim's brother is also pretty outstanding. He seems to struggle with just pronouncing the words in his dialog.

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 8, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Scissorfighter posted:

Someone really needs to make a reel showcasing the acting talents of this show, especially for DJ Sheriff. Edit: Big Jim's brother is also pretty outstanding. He seems to struggle with just pronouncing the words in his dialog.

Joe is the best. How about his pronunciation of Angie in the science class? "You stay with anGEE"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:siren:Bring it, Dome!:black101::siren:

e: It actually happened?

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 8, 2014

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
When did the diner become usable again?

And didn't we already have a bout food shortage? My first thought seeing those pigs last episode was how the hell did those pigs survive.

And when did a school suddenly become under the dome? That would have been a good place to use during all of the medical issues...

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

They're having a nice emotional moment for this show and then they're setting fields on fire... :allears:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

3 seconds on google told me Monarch caterpillars ONLY eat milkweed

But sure kill all the crops and fill the dome with smoke

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

SteveVizsla posted:

Okay, points to the show for bringing that up. Thankfully, the dome reversed the polarity of the neutron flow in the butterflies.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Someone please record this moment in history as the first time this show has answered one of my questions.

Edit: Why does the brother have one random drawing of hers saved?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Noooo he'd never do something bad to her

I guess locking her in an underground bunker for weeks and trying to kill her several times doesn't count

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Yay we're flying planes in a dome!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

SteveVizsla posted:

Yay we're flying planes in a dome!

OH NO WE'RE TOO CLOSE :derp::derp::derp:

Meanwhile back at the jail...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
That is the worst possible airplane if it can't fly more than five minutes without running out of fuel.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Mirage posted:

That is the worst possible airplane if it can't fly more than five minutes without running out of fuel.

The dome's magnetism made the fuel go away! But not the secret special fuel from the drug running days or whatever.

This magnetism poo poo is the most selective problem in the history of tv things, ever.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

SteveVizsla posted:

This magnetism poo poo is the most selective problem in the history of tv things, ever.

loving Dome, how does it work?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

i feel like i'm losing you :smith:

Oh god, Big Jim eulogy incoming...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, hang on ... Did they ever open the locker?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I don't even know what to say

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

That was just bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

"Hi, I'm a new character and we need to cull the herd..."

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I'm pretty sure next week's preview was actually for an entirely different show

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Mirage posted:

Wait, hang on ... Did they ever open the locker?

"This locker is probably important, it has a bloody handprint on it!" *juggles handle for a second* "Looks like it's unopenable, it's probably not important anyway..."

Also, since when is the red haired chick a forensic scientist?

And the description for next week's episode mentions "acid rain". That's not what acid rain is, assholes! It's not literally acid falling from the sky!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So there's like, 0 chance the new mysterious girl isn't hatched from the dome egg right?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Brocktoon posted:

Also, since when is the red haired chick a forensic scientist?
My favorite thing was DJ Cop suddenly talking entirely in police jargon when she confronts him about arresting Mystery Girl.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Magnetism, is there anything it doesn't explain? :pseudo:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Illinois Smith posted:

My favorite thing was DJ Cop suddenly talking entirely in police jargon when she confronts him about arresting Mystery Girl.

That was so funny. As was him wearing the cop uniform. There are what, three people on this police force in a town where everyone knows everyone? Seems like uniforms wouldn't really be required. Hell, why even bother with badges? Oh right, so the audience remembers who is a cop and who isn't.

Also, I loved that the plane was completely covered in giant cobwebs after two weeks of sitting there. And of course that the show had to explicitly state that he switched to the reserve tank even though it was 100% obvious. "What just happened? It's like I have extra fuel and can now safely land..." says the man who just got done talking about how he's flown hundreds of missions.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SteveVizsla posted:

But sure kill all the crops and fill the dome with smoke

Literally no one in the dome has any long term plans. "We're trapped in the dome, better burn a huge chunk of our food supplies for reasons! Wait, we're out of food? HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?"

• Locked thread