Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fav radiohead album
Pable Honey
The Bends
Ok Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows
The King of Limbs
View Results

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

havent listened to radiohead for a few years, went through a few albums cause of this thread

trip report: still good and i dont even smoke weed anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

THS posted:

i will never understand how palo alto was cut from ok computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21TmsT1qsPo

It was a choice between Electionereeing or sum poo poo or the vastly superior polyethelyne, also Thom Yorke is a loving nutcase

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

THS posted:

trip report: still good and i dont even smoke weed anymore

yah i'll second that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The one where they all die in a plane crash except instead of dying immediately all of their flesh is just on fire continuously for a week straight and they all are alive and conscious and screaming during that whole week and then they die

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The one where they all die in a plane crash except instead of dying immediately all of their flesh just burns continuously for a week straight and they all are alive and conscious and screaming during that whole week and then they die

woah dude thats harsh. and pretty mean!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The one where they all die in a plane crash except instead of dying immediately all of their flesh just burns continuously for a week straight and they all are alive and conscious and screaming during that whole week and then they die

You mean all the remixes?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

THS posted:

i will never understand how palo alto was cut from ok computer
palo alto might have been a little on-the-nose for ok computer, although palo alto, polyethylene, and loving pearly all rule

naem
May 29, 2011

I have to admit, they were very original for their time, they did that angsty thing everyone was so into in that era in a very unique unexpected way.

I feel kind of bitter because the zeitgeist of that era fizzled out so completely, it was a big build up to nothing. I felt left adrift at a tender young age right when I needed music to be good

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Radiohead more like Radio- Gives head backstage to record label execs

loving sellout bitches.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
The reason Pablo honey gets so much poo poo is because it's a pure guitar album. People who got into radiohead around 1997 and found Kid A matching their changing tastes find guitar albums embarrassing, not really getting the irony that even amnesiac is, at it's heart, a guitar album.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8ajxxQNJI

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

naem posted:

I have to admit, they were very original for their time, they did that angsty thing everyone was so into in that era in a very unique unexpected way.

I feel kind of bitter because the zeitgeist of that era fizzled out so completely, it was a big build up to nothing. I felt left adrift at a tender young age right when I needed music to be good

Ok Computer is the most original music I've ever heard in the context of actually understanding what the culture was like at the time. It sounded so futuristic. Especially the opening to Let Down. It sounded like they were desperately trying to warp the guitar sound into something else.

I find it annoying that people write them off as poo poo now just cos they've been around for so long and liking them is cliche. They did so much to push music in the 90s.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kid a has the best opening track imo. that would have blown my mind in 97

i was too young to get into radiohead AS IT WAS HAPPENING though and thats sad. i went back in high school around 06 and was like "oh man this is some good poo poo" - then in rainbows came out. i fully expected to be 100% disappointed but fell in love with it first listen

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

naem posted:

They had four really really good songs and them some filler, exactly like any band

except a little band called the beatles :smug:

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Well kid a was 2000.

I mean, I was n school in 97 when ok computer came out and loads of people went crazy for it. Then by 2000 they'd started getting into electronic music and kid a matched up with this change.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

THS posted:

kid a has the best opening track imo. that would have blown my mind in 97

i was too young to get into radiohead AS IT WAS HAPPENING though and thats sad. i went back in high school around 06 and was like "oh man this is some good poo poo" - then in rainbows came out. i fully expected to be 100% disappointed but fell in love with it first listen

jaysus. are you me?

i thoroughly recommend you all go back in time and reenact this exact experience, tho.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah i got the entire radiohead discography using :filez: in 06 and systematically blew my teen mind

edit: mods of course i pay for all my music now, what a big mistake that was!! i actually hate stealing!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In Rainbows is an underrated album.

King of Limbs is different but good.

Thanks for reading my opinion.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

THS posted:

kid a has the best opening track imo.

for best opener, it's a tie between kid a and ok computer, i think. i'm biased though since airbag is one of my all-time favorite songs

naem
May 29, 2011

I just remember being like 14 and looking up to the COOL OLDER KIDS and being excited to go back a listen to the music they were into, as if in anticipation of BEING the cool older kid someday, and then it all went kind of meh by the time I got there. It was like I'd studied a dead language

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

they were probably meh at the time too you were just projecting your wishes onto the Cool Older Kids

that or we came of age at the perfect moment of hipster despair and unengaging music. i dont really have any frame of reference. all is vanity bro

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My favourite radiohead is the one where it is a bunch of dudes approaching middle age trying to sound like teen angst nerd sounds.

naem
May 29, 2011

I just naively believed music must MEAN something because, it makes me FEEL

naem
May 29, 2011

There's was a bunch of really feeling-y music and then suddenly it wasn't cool to feel things anymore.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its cool to feel naem just not in gbs

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i maintain my teen angst into adulthood because im Keeping It Real™ and i call it ennui now

naem
May 29, 2011

Sometimes, i just have to DANCE

naem
May 29, 2011

Deep within, my heart I KNOW the truth

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
be a teen, adult, and child simultaneously. imo.

naem
May 29, 2011

Your vision is not lost upon the masses thom york!!!!!! NEVAR FORGET

naem
May 29, 2011

Truly amongst thine followers art they who's faith remains!!! We shall await thine arrival upon the morrow sweet prinoce!!!!!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ZkWBjgnIY

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i think the song fitter happier borders on irresponsible, though, because lots of people listened to that as babies and ended up jaded to the idea of trying to improve their quality of life in realistic ways. it's good to be skeptical of the filthy normies but you should do pretty much everything the sad robot says

Also you should check out these covers because they are pretty good & free

http://www.stereogum.com/okx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8jZXfrJm0

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2uIQ2SoxhU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

i think the song fitter happier borders on irresponsible, though, because lots of people listened to that as babies and ended up jaded to the idea of trying to improve their quality of life in realistic ways. it's good to be skeptical of the filthy normies but you should do pretty much everything the sad robot says

Also you should check out these covers because they are pretty good & free

http://www.stereogum.com/okx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8jZXfrJm0

Ahaha nah that robot is still right. Fall in love, drink too much, idealism not pragmatism.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

naem posted:

There's was a bunch of really feeling-y music and then suddenly it wasn't cool to feel things anymore.

if you truly beleive this then unplug the internet for a bit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

mulligan posted:

It was a choice between Electionereeing or sum poo poo or the vastly superior polyethelyne, also Thom Yorke is a loving nutcase

why do people not like electioneering? its the angriest song on that album, and it has a sonic youth feel to the guitars

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The best Radiohead album is Origin of Symmetry

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
id normally fight you but OoS is prob the best of muse's album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Pirate Jet posted: