Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida
When: July 5th, 2014. Prelims - 7pm ET/4pm PT. Main Event - 10pm ET/7pm PT.
Where: Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
How: Main event - Pay-per-view (5 fights). Prelims - Fight Pass (2 fights), Fox Sports 1 (4 fights)
Bars showing the event
Thread title credit: El Roncho
Goonweight Grand Prix Stuff: Make your picks || Standings || Thread
Chat: #MMA on synIRC

Fights to Watch:
Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva I
Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans

Fights to Watch:
Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate II
Alexis Davis vs. Jessica Eye

Fights to Watch:
Stefan Stuve vs. Pat Barry
Matt Mitrione vs. Roy Nelson

Fights to Watch:
Uriah Hall vs. Chris Leben
Thiago Santos vs. Ronny Markes

Fights to Watch:
Marcus Brimage vs. Maximo Blanco
Russell Doane vs. Leandro Issa

Yes, it's true. Urijah Faber has been :siren::siren:DEMOTED TO THE PRELIMS:siren::siren: in favor of the new, better Uriah.

fatherdog posted:

At some point we should start putting this in GDT OPs because it seems like every other event has someone bitching about how somebody's been "demoted" to the prelims

SNACKS
Please tell us about food you like to eat while watching mixed martial arts on television.

Here are some meal ideas for UFC 175:
-Meat on bun
-Frito-Lay Chips Flavor Mix Multipack, 20 Count (MAKE EVERY DAY A FUNDAY)
-Pasta Bowl

Agent Tough Juice fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

fatherdog posted:

The secret of this dumb gay sport is that you watch like three events and all of a sudden you're invested. All of the sarcasm and irony in these threads is just us trying to disguise the fact that we care deeply about which sweaty guy in speedos strangles the other sweaty guy in speedos.

First PPV I purchased with friends and the one that made me start paying attention to MMA for real was Chuck/Rampage II, but more importantly, it also featured Houston Alexander knocking out big favorite Keith Jardine. I now for real care about the career of this objectively terrible fighter who knocked out another objectively terrible fighter.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I've watched all the episodes of the season that they've got up so far on Fight Pass... is there any reason for me to continue watching?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought I was the only one who cared about Houston Alexander.

The cool part about him was that he still managed to nearly get knocked in one or both of his UFC wins, so he shows up in the highlight reels of men he beat. He never stops giving.

It touches my heart that so many of you care about Houston and his 27 children.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alexander's crowning moment was the Kimbo fight.

Last month I sat my housemate down in front of the TV, told him I was going to show him the greatest fight of all time, and then made him watch the entire Houston/Kimbo match.

He was confused.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Aurain posted:

The way Kimbo and Houston curled over in sheer exhaustion in perfect synchronisation is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in Mixed Martial Arts.

Yep. I was basically that annoying guy during a movie he's seen a hundred times who can't help but say things like "watch this part!" except the parts I was telling him to watch were mostly two large men wheezing.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

El Roncho posted:

Also the Jardine knockout was so raw and ugly.

I think the descriptor you're looking for is "real"

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

But not women. It's too expensive to draw the picture.

It's weird that I got this joke given that I've never played that game.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

-Atom- posted:

No kidding, Ronda's walkout for the Miesha rematch got me hype as gently caress. She came off like there was literally nothing else on her mind other than clobbering Tate.

Not a big Ronda fan, but her walkout is loving rad. Music choice is perfect and it pairs well with her hilarious mean mugging. I think it might be my favorite non-gimmick walkout of all time (do not counter with Wandy and Sandstorm).

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I went through and added one fight to watch for all the main event guys. Better late than never I guess.

Check out Russell Doane vs. Leandro Issa if you haven't already. I don't think I'd ever actually seen that one and it makes me kind of excited to see him on Saturday now. Doane does some cool poo poo.

If someone wants to recommend fights to link to for the prelim fighters, I'm all ears. I was too lazy to go through and figure all of those out myself.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a friend who thinks Ronda is ducking Cyborg out of fear. My friend is super wrong,

Yeah Cyborg is the one ducking Ronda due to fear.

Fear of death.

Fear of death brought on by organ failure after trying to make weight.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Nifft posted:

What was Uriah's response?

Haven't seen it, but my bet is that it was so devastating, Master Thonglor had to carry him away between questions.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

woozy pawsies posted:

Oh yeah.

hahah for sure

dude. gently caress. yes.

agreed. she is one tough babe.

Haha yeah man you definitely slammed everyone with your hilarious irony (did it work? Was it as funny as when you did it?)

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Yuriy posted:

goon weight sheets are up so get your picks in before this poo poo starts

Updated OP with links

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Fights starting in 3 minutes. I know you're all looking forward to watching Kevin Casey.

Link: http://www.ufc.tv/video/weidman-vs-machida-exclusive-fight-pass-prelims

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Erm. How is Rogan using this as evidence that Kevin Casey fixed his gas tank?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

wtf is that

My friend just explained to me that it's a dragon ballz thing

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

I made a stupid over 9000 joke in the OP. Didn't expect it to come into play tonight

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Closing this thread out of respect for the various career deaths this card has caused. RIP

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

Struve went unconscious an hour earlier than scheduled

Hahaha but also boooooo you are wrong

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

So do they keep Uriah Hall around for any other reason than a sliver of hope for more highlight reel knockouts for TOP KNOCKOUTS specials?

I mean, he won his last fight.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Haha bar I'm at is going nuts for Hall now

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Whatever. Hall won that poo poo. Too bad it'll cost him his leg

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

hahahaha Dana is pissed

About? Tough to hear here

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

This is my new favorite walkout sorry Ronda

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

harley posted:

Uh, if Ronda is such a big star like everyone says shouldn't she be getting a lot more buys than that?

Realities of the new UFC where there are 60 cards a year

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Yeah, I don't see why there'd be an immediate rematch, but Machida acquitted himself well enough that if he strings a few wins together, I'd be totally on board with seeing him take a second crack (which he'd also lose but whatever he's the coolest).

Machida will you be my date to prom?

It was loving awesome to see him go balls out the last two rounds.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I had Lyoto winning 4 and that was it. I also have no idea why people think he should get a rematch.

Because the fight was fun and the second probably would be too. Machida would still probably lose, but it wasn't like it wasn't competitive.

Let's see where they both are a year or two from now. If it still makes any sense in terms of where they are in the division, I'm all about it.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Hexum posted:

What exactly is your problem with Ronda or with the way the UFC portrays her?

However briefly she may have believed it, she was stupid enough to post a video about how Newtown isn't real. This is enough reason to criticize her forever.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

1st AD posted:

And yet both Diaz brothers are beloved despite being just as dumb and also openly hostile to the idea of doing press.

My feelings toward the Diaz's are only slightly warmer and they're only slightly warmer because as far as I know, neither of them pretend two dozen children weren't really gunned down

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

When Cyborg cuts off a limb to make weight and somehow passes all the drug tests and promptly gets armbarred by Ronda then, and only then, will I believe the hype in a fighter who has demolished everyone placed in front of her.

You know, you raise an interesting point. I know Nick Newell just lost a title shot, but he may be the only person alive who can defeat her.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

1st AD posted:

Machida vs. Belfort is a real good fight and I'd love to see Vitor crumble and quit after 1 round of chasing Machida around. Machida vs. Jacare is good too, plus we could always give Machida an easy fight like against Bisping or Tim Boetsch or someone like that.

I'm for the easy fight. Let's reward him for giving us a good fun card last night.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't think anyone other than the tiny little bizarre butthurt about rousey owning/cyborg internet fanbase actually cares about cyborg or thinks that fight should be a thing anyway.

Maybe not initially, but it would be much easier to hype than some of Ronda's other recent opponents. You just show lots of footage of Cyborg looking terrifying at weigh-ins and the highlights from that one time she nearly beat a woman to death because Kim Winslow likes snuff films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

• Locked thread