Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah Avendar's naming policy is indefensibly bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it makes me want to make a character named Setelvennar but insist everyone call me Steve like they did in my old village before the grumpkins or w/e came

I mean that wouldn't fly ten feet, I'm guessing, but I got this problem where times like these make me feel the need to be pettily defiant

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yeah Avendar's naming policy is indefensibly bananas

Joining this with the name 🗡️🗡️🗡️💦

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Peanut Butler posted:

it makes me want to make a character named Setelvennar but insist everyone call me Steve like they did in my old village before the grumpkins or w/e came

I mean that wouldn't fly ten feet, I'm guessing, but I got this problem where times like these make me feel the need to be pettily defiant

Zelazny posted:

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god, but then he never claimed not to be a god.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's a bizarre policy because in practice it's not actually banning "real life" names, it's banning "western, white-sounding" names. Because both of my characters use real life names and they're fine.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Gosh darn it. I guess I'll try a swordmaster again.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Reene posted:

It's a bizarre policy because in practice it's not actually banning "real life" names, it's banning "western, white-sounding" names. Because both of my characters use real life names and they're fine.

That and the generator they use to come up with their race-appropriate names spits out nothing but horrible-sounding crap. I'm not sure how "hello my name is <unpronounceable garbage>" is supposed to aid immersion.

e: For that matter, I don't know why MUDs (and RPGs in general) use obvious knockoffs of standard fantasy races, but think that calling them something else helps create an "original fantasy world". Is there even a single person who read Avendar's descriptions of aelins, chajas, and ethrons and didn't immediately think "winged elves, large orcs, and aquatic dwarves"?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

you have a point about aelin, it's the least original race, but you're way off about chaja and ethron

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Gorelab posted:

Gosh darn it. I guess I'll try a swordmaster again.

I mean, on one hand do what your heart calls you to do, but one thing to keep in mind about swordmaster is that it's an excellently balanced but pretty passive class. If you're looking for a more involved combat experience you might want to look at some other classes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

you have a point about aelin, it's the least original race, but you're way off about chaja and ethron

Ethron posted:

They congregate in large extended families called clans, ... Ethron are typically shorter than humans, ranging from four and a half to five and a half feet tall. ... They are stocky in build, with dense musculature and a layer of subcutaneous fat;

Yeah, nothing dwarf-like there. Granted, the "traditional dwarfiness" ends there, but still manages to be notable for being a complete 180 from it. Where dwarves are patriarchal, ethron are matriarchal. Dwarves love industry, ethron love nature. "Take a traditional fantasy race, keep some of it exactly the same, then make the rest of it exactly the opposite" is lovely Fantasy Writing 101.

I'll skip quoting chaja, but "athletic former slaves" with an extremely limited class selection don't stop being obvious "fantasy negros" (Tolkien's basis for orcs) just by making them extremely pale instead of dark.

Peanut Butler posted:

I kind of want to make an ethron and make them a unique and original character by having them behave like a traditional fantasy dwarf.

"The first thing you notice about 'Steelaxe' (as Quelanryon calls himself) is the obvious fake beard. It is huge, doesn't quite match his natural hair color, and evocative of the description 'pubic breastplate'. ..."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ah yes the classic "mostly different but here's 2 things that are the same" argument lmao

How are you so bad at this that you didn't instantly draw comparison to Hobbits

I will give you points for the chaja being a problematic analogue for African slavery but since when is "savages that threw off slavery" an orc thing

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 5, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also all fantasy is lovely and I resent your attempt at trying to draw any kind of distinction between good fiction and any fantasy

Conskill
May 7, 2007

It's a little weird to point to a tenuous connection to Tolkien's racism with one example and totally ignore Tolkien's racism with the other two.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Good fiction is boring, give me lovely fantasy any day.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

lovely fantasy is still entertaining

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ah yes the classic "mostly different but here's 2 things that are the same" argument lmao

How are you so bad at this that you didn't instantly draw comparison to Hobbits

I will give you points for the chaja being a problematic analogue for African slavery but since when is "savages that threw off slavery" an orc thing

"New" races wouldn't be 100% identical to the race they're derived from, why would you even think that? It's not that ethrons as described in that link sometimes differ from traditional dwarves, it's that whenever they do, they're always polar opposites: a complete reflection. To me, it says that the person who came up with them realized they were copying dwarves and did the most obvious thing to try and differentiate them.

None of Avendar's race descriptions immediately made me think "oh, not-hobbits".

Orcs as non-evil playable races in RPGs are pretty consistently former slaves. A race that was still enslaved would be more problematic to play. The weird thing is that there's no need to introduce that particular complication (enslave a race and then free them to make them playable) into your world-building/game design if you're not implicitly drawing on the same real-world influences for your orcs that Tolkien did.

Conskill posted:

It's a little weird to point to a tenuous connection to Tolkien's racism with one example and totally ignore Tolkien's racism with the other two.

He'd already agreed aelin were not-elves (Tolkien's Norse analogue) and one of the ways that ethron are explicitly polar opposites of traditional dwarves is in their rejection of stereotypically Jewish traits, but okay.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

"New" races wouldn't be 100% identical to the race they're derived from, why would you even think that? It's not that ethrons as described in that link sometimes differ from traditional dwarves, it's that whenever they do, they're always polar opposites: a complete reflection. To me, it says that the person who came up with them realized they were copying dwarves and did the most obvious thing to try and differentiate them.

None of Avendar's race descriptions immediately made me think "oh, not-hobbits".

Orcs as non-evil playable races in RPGs are pretty consistently former slaves. A race that was still enslaved would be more problematic to play. The weird thing is that there's no need to introduce that particular complication (enslave a race and then free them to make them playable) into your world-building/game design if you're not implicitly drawing on the same real-world influences for your orcs that Tolkien did.

He'd already agreed aelin were not-elves (Tolkien's Norse analogue) and one of the ways that ethron are explicitly polar opposites of traditional dwarves is in their rejection of stereotypically Jewish traits, but okay.

Just because Tolkien's orcs were a bit racist, doesn't make ripoffs of said orcs equally problematic. You can take inspiration from a thing without bringing all the baggage with you. Like, I never even connected dwarves and jewish stereotypes till you just mentioned it, and I'm pretty sure for a lot of other people it never even enters their head when they're writing anything related to dwarves.

A race of ex-slaves doesn't have to be some weird caricature like you're imagining. They're strong because why would they have been enslaved if they were weak - the whole point of slaves is to do manual labor. They're pale because they lived underground for millenia, because they were the slaves of the shuddeni who also live underground. They're slaves because the shuddeni needed victims to show how evil they were before actually invading the surface (so they're pretty much just a race designed to give more story to the shuddeni). I never even actually thought of them as orcs at all and still don't feel like it fits. I feel like immediately reaching for the 'fantasy negro' label is going out of your way to find something wrong with it.

At the same time, yeah, imagining that they didn't draw inspiration from other fantasy settings is pretty silly (like the shuddeni are obviously inspired by drow), but I don't really mind people making their own version of fantasy staples. There's only so many ways you can easily make fantasy races that are similar enough to humans that they can use the same equipment and speak the same languages and live in the same cities and be in the same adventuring party.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 5, 2018

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Anyway, I'm screwing around on Avendar as Issam.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I toy with a few different characters but am on most often as Beisat the loveable Void Scholar. I also hang out in Avendar's discord.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I played Avendar for a while but quit because:

1) There was nobody else to play with
2) As an evil bandit orc all I did to level was walk into a tavern with three other jerks, kill every named NPC inside, then stand outside with my pals having a smoke until they were alive again
3) Every single other player seemed to expect me to know spoiler meta-knowledge as granular as what random named NPCs strewn across the world have good weapons to murder for

But I guess getting rid of #1 is enough!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ellbent posted:

I played Avendar for a while but quit because:

1) There was nobody else to play with
2) As an evil bandit orc all I did to level was walk into a tavern with three other jerks, kill every named NPC inside, then stand outside with my pals having a smoke until they were alive again
3) Every single other player seemed to expect me to know spoiler meta-knowledge as granular as what random named NPCs strewn across the world have good weapons to murder for

But I guess getting rid of #1 is enough!

The nice thing about #3 is the discord has people usually pretty helpful - i hate it when people in muds try to keep every little thing a secret. They'll even share qinfo if you get thoroughly stuck enough.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 11, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

When I read the ethron being stocky with layers of fat I think "oh, because they're sea-dwellers, and that's what mammals that live in seas and oceans have" not "oh, clearly must be a dwarf because they are the only people with any kind of body fat whatsoever."

Shuddeni are naked mole rats btw. The source material in terms of appearance for a lot of things seems to be actual animals.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Anyone still playing Arctic? Saw some posts from ~6 months ago, but I’m guessing people have moved on. If not, hit me up for groups - have a 20 Paladin (Rogan), a 25 cleric (Soren), and a 11 red robe I’ve been trying out (Kelrick).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is MUME still a thing? I randomly thought about it the other day.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

Anyone still playing Arctic? Saw some posts from ~6 months ago, but I’m guessing people have moved on. If not, hit me up for groups - have a 20 Paladin (Rogan), a 25 cleric (Soren), and a 11 red robe I’ve been trying out (Kelrick).

I quit after I went on vacation in August and passed off 10 dam to my friend Eq so our clan (brogs) could still repop them and he proceeded to deadbeat it all. :(

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Wezlar posted:

I quit after I went on vacation in August and passed off 10 dam to my friend Eq so our clan (brogs) could still repop them and he proceeded to deadbeat it all. :(

Yikes. :(

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I quit after my flying Druid walked off the road on a mountain and plunged to his death (??) in an instadeath room. That was a good indication that the game was trying to be assholish without the finesse to make it work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That RP mud sounds god awful. Good day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

That RP mud sounds god awful. Good day.

It is.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I like it, it's fun and has pvp in it

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wezlar posted:

The real question is 'does idling in Discord count as playing?' - if yes then we never quit.

Conskill posted:

I quit after my flying Druid walked off the road on a mountain and plunged to his death (??) in an instadeath room. That was a good indication that the game was trying to be assholish without the finesse to make it work.

It's a good lesson to not get too attached to gear since it was all going to decay at some point anyways.

Arctic doesn't do much to hold your hand but there are very few things in the game that are outright assholish, young dwarf in Deep Mine excepted.

Drone posted:

Still around, surprisingly! Unsurprisingly, not much of note has changed in the past 15 years.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sheep posted:

Arctic doesn't do much to hold your hand but there are very few things in the game that are outright assholish, young dwarf in Deep Mine excepted.

Since no one probably knows how this works but me the young dwarf is an autohidden thief mob that steals items from you and then sells them back at inflated prices.
The real problem though is he wanders and is autosneak autohide so if you ever type kill dwarf (or cast area) instead of using a more specific mob keyword when he is in the room he will absolutely murder you. He also hits harder than most dragons despite being in a zone that you can solo 90% of on a level 20 character with shop gear.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Sheep posted:

It's a good lesson to not get too attached to gear since it was all going to decay at some point anyways.

It's not the loss of items I objected to. I was flying and got gibbed in an instantdeath room themed around falling to my death. Either the narration was wonky (describing a death that didn't make mechanical sense), or the mechanics were (creating a death when it didn't make narrative sense).

Basically, I didn't find it well thought out or clever, and that offends me more than any death or loss I take in a game that appears to play by its own rules.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Have people ever killed that dwarf?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Drone posted:

I checked last year, I was the only player logged in, so I logged right out

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Have people ever killed that dwarf?

I don't think it's possible. It's a great example of a mob that should be nohassle but isn't for whatever reason.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sheep posted:

I don't think it's possible. It's a great example of a mob that should be nohassle but isn't for whatever reason.

Because Terk

obsidian440
Apr 15, 2004

Don't question god's choices.
Spent a lot of time playing Gemstone IV. The free to play option is painful for character level/training but there are some amazing packets of RP possible that do not require having a level capped character to have fun. Shame they are basically turning it into a mobile game with constant loot-crate like events every other month. There are near nightly GM run storylines for PST players and random little GM events during other time zones. A lot of player-run organizations and events but a severe lack of player content creation tools still leaves a lot of the game in the GM hands. Player run organizations can eventually build their own HQ but it takes over a year of being active and a certain amount of players. I suspect there are a few goons in the population but never actively went looking for them.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

obsidian440 posted:

Spent a lot of time playing Gemstone IV...
I suspect there are a few goons in the population but never actively went looking for them.

Hello, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obsidian440
Apr 15, 2004

Don't question god's choices.

franks posted:

Hello, friend.

Buy my stuff so I can forget about the game until Wyrom is removed. Also, hello.