Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ALL HAIL OUR GLORIOUS LEADER

Previous UK Threads

June '14 thread
May '14 thread
April '14 thread
March '14 thread
February '14 thread
January '14 thread

December '13 thread
November '13 thread
October '13 thread
September '13 thread
August '13 thread
July '13 thread
May/June '13 thread
April '13 thread Thatcher came to this thread to die.
Feb/March '13 thread Warning: :biotruths:
BOGOF Dec '12/ Jan '13 thread with such highlights as my terrible landlady stealing my underwear to make sure I returned the keys and Trickjaw's fight against the bastards of the Work Program.

2010? :iiam: -2012

Two for the price of one October and November '12 thread

September '12 thread.

August '12 thread.

July '12 thread (with links to previous threads and Iohannes definitive Minimum Alcohol Pricing post).

Ninpo's excellent effortpost on the poverty trap that exists for people working up to 16 hours (but no more) a week.

Other threads of interest for the citizens of the UK :britain:

Hackgate scandal thread - Something actually happened recently!

UK Marriage Equality thread

The Irn Bru Blood Transfusion thread

The EDL/UK Fascist watch thread

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This thread title only works if you say garage wrong :colbert:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Well there wouldnt be any confusion with the other thread title I had in mind, but I had these glorious images to use that I've been holding since the election. :/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mfcrocker posted:

Or if you say Farage right

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
But enough about Farage, I want to see how deep Coohoolin can make the hole he's currently in. :munch:

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

why is there a link to this thread in byob :confused:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Did Xylo put it there?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i am he posted:

Because this too, is a chill and friendly place to hang out.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

OP links to the old Scottish independence thread.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

twoot posted:

OP links to the old Scottish independence thread.

Thanks for the correction.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

i am he posted:

Where? I moved the thread to BYOB for about 10 seconds to change the thread tag, but it shouldn't be showing up in BYOB still.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

XyloJW posted:

Where? I moved the thread to BYOB for about 10 seconds to change the thread tag, but it shouldn't be showing up in BYOB still.

Oh I must of have clicked on it right in those ten seconds then. It was gone right after. Sorry! I hope your thread goes well :D! I hate UKIP!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Ah that explains the unusual tag.

In other news, instead of using that massive government ability to, you know, use taxation to raise public funds to invest in infrastructure, instead every single one of us will fund the larger part of £375 billion worth of upgrades through increased bills to the tune of £250b worth - even though it is acknowledged the general public are pretty hosed for money anyway. Good job!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
FWIW, Stuart Campbell (of Wings Over Scotland) isn't just a transphobe, he's just a straight up misogynist. There's a reason most pro-independence people are starting to distancing themselves, especially after the Rowling debacle; he's poison.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
How do you pronounce Nigel Farage's last name? I say it like fuh-rahj.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Delusibeta posted:

But enough about Farage, I want to see how deep Coohoolin can make the hole he's currently in. :munch:

What hole? The RIRA can go gently caress themselves, the Provos and the "Official" IRA I don't have much of a problem with.

It's still not the loving point because I brought up these groups while having a go at fluo for defending the british military as being fighters for peace justice and the liberal way or some horseshit.

TinTower posted:

FWIW, Stuart Campbell (of Wings Over Scotland) isn't just a transphobe, he's just a straight up misogynist. There's a reason most pro-independence people are starting to distancing themselves, especially after the Rowling debacle; he's poison.

I have no idea what the Cornton Vale issue is but what's misogynistic about calling out Ruth Davidson and some other labour shill for literally saying that if Scotland goes independent, there will be more rape in the world??

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
EDIT: double post, i've not had my coffee yet.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Swan Oat posted:

He came to my sisters school to speak to sixth formers back in 1997. At the time he himself pronounced it to rhyme with marriage.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I take it that was before he had the pint and fag surgically grafted to his hands. What was he even there to talk about though? Investment banking?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coohoolin posted:

What hole? The RIRA can go gently caress themselves, the Provos and the "Official" IRA I don't have much of a problem with.

You don't have a problem with the loving Provos? Are you psychotic or just desperately edgy? It's not like it's ancient history or anything, the Jean McConville case was what, two months ago? The only remotely okay thing they ever did was murder Lenny Murphy and even that was self-interest. They're a collection of bigoted criminals and murderers, but they don't like the British so that's alright then!

Seriously I'm no fan of the army but declaring that you're okay with the provos for opposing them is like declaring support for ISIS because they hate the Americans too

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 1, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
I don't see the point in a Nigel Farage thread of any kind as long as this exists https://www.nigelfarage.net

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Swan Oat posted:

Oooh lah-di-dah! fuh-rahj!

It's pronounced arse-hole.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
From the discussion about a Tory MP buying up a social housing estate in last month's thread:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shoreditch and environs are home to the original social housing projects, established by private charity (and with policies that really aren't too different from modern "affordable" housing policy - they wanted exactly the right kind of poor people and were careful only to rent to artisans, not to labourers). This estate was originally one of those but wasn't either swallowed up by the council after WW2 like the Boundary Estate nearby (the best-known of these projects) or had very strong covenants applied to it like the Peabody and Toynbee estates.

I'd never heard of the Boundary estate before and looked it up:

That's a very handsome-looking set of buildings indeed. It's a shame the architects of later council developments didn't take some cues from them rather than going hog wild with the concrete - might have made the estates more resistant to residualization.

The search also led me to this blog, which documents council housing around London. The diversity of it is pretty surprising: http://www.lovelondoncouncilhousing.com/

Kill all 60s architects IMO (well, aside from the guy who did World's End. also, naming a housing development the World's End Estate - awesome or most awesome?).

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 1, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

You don't have a problem with the loving Provos? Are you psychotic or just desperately edgy? It's not like it's ancient history or anything, the Jean McConville case was what, two months ago? The only remotely okay thing they ever did was murder Lenny Murphy and even that was self-interest. They're a collection of bigoted criminals and murderers, but they don't like the British so that's alright then!

Seriously I'm no fan of the army but declaring that you're okay with the provos for opposing them is like declaring support for ISIS because they hate the Americans too

I ponder what his view of Horst Mahler is. Also I was being strawmanned, I'm not a fan of the army but we need some form of the army. To blame them for wars when they're the pawns on the chess board of politicians is abit OTT. If the soldiers did war crimes that's another story.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 1, 2014

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fluo posted:

I ponder what his view of Horst Mahler is. Also I was being strawmanned, I'm not a fan of the army but we need some form of the army. To blame them for wars when they're the pawns on the chess board of politicians is abit OTT. If the soldiers did war crimes that's another story.

What should I think about Mahler? He's a turncoat and a nazi.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

And I wonder if when he was one of the founders of the RAF what he'd do now that the others are dead if the glorious freedom fighters against the real oppressors won.

Coohoolin posted:

But nah, you probably think the IRA and the RAF and the ETA and anyone not in your glorious loving post-imperial army who actually took a stand against real oppressors is poo poo and are boys are doing a fine job keeping evil at bay by murdering third world civilians.
Just a sidenote, both sides were bad. The world is made up of mostly grey, there is no black knight vs white knight.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 1, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Why does that bother you? The SNP refused to fight Hitler during World War II and the IRA fought for him, but you have no problem with either group.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Opposing conscription by a government you don't support and "refusing to fight Hitler" are two very different things.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Crossposting from last thread:

Coohoolin posted:

in case anyone takes this assclown seriously, i have previously and repeatedly expressed my disappointment with stuart campbell for his comments misgendering chelsea manning and am of the opinion he was very wrong to do so. pissflaps and anyone else following the last scotpol thread knows this, and pissflaps is merely trying to wind me up or stir up some poo poo about stuart campbell, who despite being a pretty big rear end in a top hat about chelsea manning and hillsborough runs a pretty loving good blog about media bias and mistruths RE the scottish independence referendum.

Wait Stuart Campbell's a transphobe?

As in, used-to-edit-Amiga-Power Stuart Campbell?

Edit: Fairly sure it's the same guy. Well that's disappointing :(

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fluo posted:

And I wonder if when he was one of the founders of the RAF what he'd do now that the others are dead if the glorious freedom fighters against the real oppressors won.

If we're doing "what ifs" I'm pretty sure Dutschke and Meinhof wouldn't have stood for his conversion to fascism.

thehustler posted:

Is that a video game thing? Yeah he was a video game blogger and he's had some really really poo poo things to say about Chelsea Manning and the Hillsborough victims.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

thehustler posted:

Fuuuck I don't want to find out any AP guys are shitheads, I loving loved that magazine. :negative:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Speaking of Amiga Power this is great: http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ap2/

But yeah. poo poo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

baka kaba posted:

I take it that was before he had the pint and fag surgically grafted to his hands. What was he even there to talk about though? Investment banking?

baka kaba posted:

He was standing as UKIP candidate in 1997 election. My sister said he came across as vile. She went to an all girls school and everyone found him creepy and bigoted and he kept making borderline sexist jokes. Not well advised talking to a girls school 6th form in that manner.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

thehustler posted:

Yup, same person. Guy frankly just doesn't know when to say "I'm wrong" about anything and instead just digs deeper and deeper while somehow managing to say more offensive, utterly reprehensible poo poo. If he stayed on subjects where he actually does his homework (i.e. the independence referendum and calling out the media) then he'd be tolerable. But as it stands there's hardly a week goes by where he isn't getting into some stupid slapfight on twitter.

Sad thing is, it drags down misinformed, well intentioned people, who defend his bullshit based on his independence stuff and end up losing credibility by association. Frankly, it might be better if he bowed out of the whole independence debate but he won't now, since he's made so much money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leggsy posted:

Opposing conscription by a government you don't support and "refusing to fight Hitler" are two very different things.

They literally said the war against Hitler wasn't Scotland's war. If they weren't planning on outright collaboration in the event of a German victory, they were engaged in wholesale denial of reality.

Anyway, I'm mainly pissed off with Coohoolin for coming out in support of the IRA when he knows full well that several regulars in these threads had family members murdered by them. I don't think he's a Nazis, just woefully immature and trying too hard to piss off his Tory parents.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

If we're doing "what ifs" I'm pretty sure Dutschke and Meinhof wouldn't have stood for his conversion to fascism.

Is that a video game thing? Yeah he was a video game blogger and he's had some really really poo poo things to say about Chelsea Manning and the Hillsborough victims.

His bit about Hillsborough is entirely based upon how much of an unhinged closet Man United supporter he is, not that I'd ever want to brush other Man U fans with the same broad strokes. He spent years on his forums whinging about the unfairness of how Premiership money was distributed to Liverpool, whilst simultaneously talking about how great Alex Ferguson was because he came from "his club". He'd also throw a total shitfit if someone was English and offered their temporary support behind the Scottish team at any point.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

In related milchat, happy First Day of the Somme Day everybody!

On this day in 1916, 700 members of the Accrington Pals battalion launched an attack on the village of Serre, during which 235 were killed and a further 350 wounded, all but wiping out the unit. If anyone is in the Accrington area and wants to honour their sacrifice/throw bricks at soldiers, there is a military parade through the town centre at noon...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I love the new op and tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Dumb question, if the UK leaves the EU (lol) how will that affect EU citizens living and working there?

Will Farage just load all of them on a train to a camp the mainland?

• Locked thread