Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HelixFox posted:

This is what they've been doing in the US so far. Although Google's new prototype doesn't actually have a wheel or pedals, so who knows?

This is what the interface is going to look like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Labour have been ousted out in my local council, leading to a Conservative/Independent coalition with Lib Dem supply and confidence. Prior to tonight, Labour was dependent on the sole independent for a one-vote majority.

To be honest, they brought it on themselves. See, the main agenda point tonight was regarding the perpetual proposal to upgrade Hipperholme crossroads, which Labour were trying to push through against the majority on the council and the majority of residents. To be honest, it needs sorting out, but the plans on the table this time were… pretty lovely. Not only that, but the plans would've directly impacted the independent councillor, who owns a small newsagent on the crossroads.

As far as governance goes, "don't piss off your majority" really is rule one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Last time I lived in Bris we had the little brown bin but no big one. Student housing! :toot:

Now I live in the centre all my recycling goes in bloody carrier bags

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ReActor posted:

Imagine seeing one driving down the road with an utter wanker passed out at the wheel with dribble running out of the corner of his mouth.

(Soon you won't have to imagine.)

I too look forward to seeing them on Top Gear.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Bojo wants to build a monorail ring rail transport system around london to support an ever increasing population. He says he wants to spend £1.3 trillion on Londons transport network over the next fifty years.

To adequately get a grasp on that staggering amount of money, NASA's space shuttle program to research, build and operate five space space-worthy shuttles was $196 billion dollars over thirty years. With this amount of money, we could do the same but with a fleet of 55 shuttles going to space.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Since I don't live in London this may be a stupid question, but when are orbital routes like that a good idea? Why would people go around the loop when they can just take a straighter route from north to south? What with a few tube lines going that way, and a proposed crossrail 2, what makes one form a transport better to use than another.

Although having said that I'm a big fan of public infrastructure projects for building up the economy in theory, it's just that these days the only people who seem to prosper are private companies. Not like in years gone by.

Edit: Dig holes and fill them in again or something

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Since I don't live in London this may be a stupid question, but when are orbital routes like that a good idea? Why would people go around the loop when they can just take a straighter route from north to south? What with a few tube lines going that way, and a proposed crossrail 2, what makes one form a transport better to use than another.

Although having said that I'm a big fan of public infrastructure projects for building up the economy in theory, it's just that these days the only people who seem to prosper are private companies. Not like in years gone by.

Edit: Dig holes and fill them in again or something

Basically the Overground ring has proven wildly more popular than anyone expected - turns out there's an awful lot of people who commute from one outer borough to another. Forcing them through the centre of town is slow and inefficient because it means every single journey has to touch one of the main interchange stations, which already have capacity issues, and also of course the trains are stopping loads more times.

If it were properly integrated with the main lines so that people travelling from say Cornwall to East Anglia didn't have to brace the Circle Line that would be a big advantage all round.

You'll probably never see that whole ring but I can easily see New Malden to Lewisham being a thing - there are existing freight lines on that alignment already via Bricklayers Arms so it'll be cheap and it'll take a lot of pressure off Waterloo and Clapham Junction and the Jubilee and Circle lines. You'd need to expand the DLR out to full metro capacity though, and I don't think that's practical unless you tear the whole lout out and start again.

The whole general point is to try and reduce the gravitational pull of central London for businesses (because frankly there's just no more loving space) without risking losing all that lovely tax revenue to the filthy outer darkness beyond the M25.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

thehustler posted:

Because it allows a London of multiple centres rather than one solely concentrated in one central area. Making town centres accessible to each other as opposed to only central London will allow people to work and live between them, reducing the amount of people and pollution in inner London, and crucially the amount of people travelling there as the transport network as it currently stands can barely cope as it is without all the extra people expected to be born in the next 20 years. The plan calls for the intensification and densification of outer London over the next 35 years, because there is much more space and a lot less people basically.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh and development stopped at Barking Riverside not for lack of transport (the DLR passes nearby and there's plenty of bus links) but because it's right next to the main sewage outlet for north London and the whole area stinks of poo poo. It's yet another example of how developers don't even bother visiting the places they're building on before deciding to plonk down their cookie-cutter new builds.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
By the time the Bakerloo line extension is built it will have taken 110 years and it won't even go to Camberwell.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Bojo wants to build a monorail ring rail transport system around london to support an ever increasing population. He says he wants to spend £1.3 trillion on Londons transport network over the next fifty years.

To adequately get a grasp on that staggering amount of money, NASA's space shuttle program to research, build and operate five space space-worthy shuttles was $196 billion dollars over thirty years. With this amount of money, we could do the same but with a fleet of 55 shuttles going to space.

Doesn't that also equate to something like 26 years of NHS funding?

That's a hilarious amount of money

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Any amount of spending 'over fifty years' is gonna sound pretty crazy to be fair

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Boing posted:

Any amount of spending 'over fifty years' is gonna sound pretty crazy to be fair

What part of 10 times the entire loving space shuttle program did you miss?

haakman
May 5, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-28524348

God bless my town.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

It makes more sense once it's broken down:

quote:

With a price tag of some £1.3 trillion, the London infrastructure plan, developed with Arup, calls for a step change in the planning, funding and delivery of infrastructure for London. Housing and transport between them represent nearly four fifths of the investment needed to 2050. They are estimated to have a funding gap of close to £135bn. More than 1.5m new homes with a cost of around £550bn are required. The report calls for a major package of investment in rail, Tube, road and aviation capacity, estimated at more than £450bn. Demand for public transport is forecast to increase by 50 per cent in total by 2050, with demand for Underground and rail services likely to rise by 60 and 80 per cent respectively. The pressure on London’s airport capacity hardly needs restating.

But population growth will have other implications. To decentralise and green our energy supply and avoid a power crunch will take £4bn of investment every year. An increasing school-age population means more than 600 new schools and colleges need to be built. And then there’s investment in our water supply, green spaces and digital connectivity. All this will require planning and delivery on an unprecedented scale.

The cost of housing is obviously going to be recouped when someone buys the house, assuming you're not selling it at a loss. One of the central ideas of this report is that London is given more control over its own taxes so it can raise funds as needed for these projects.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

It makes more sense when its broken down to simply build a new massive urban metropolis for that amount of money.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Holy poo poo I went to high school with that dude

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Did you ever suspect he was a dogfucker?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Holy poo poo I went to high school with that dude

Claim to fame: went to school with a dogfucker

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zero Gravitas posted:

Claim to fame: went to school with a dogfucker

In fairness, most of us have shared this forum with Morally Inept so we don't really have room to talk.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

What part of 10 times the entire loving space shuttle program did you miss?

Yes, but London is special! If it doesn't get a zillion quid forever then it'll shrivel up and die, like the precious little flower it is.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

XMNN posted:

Did you ever suspect he was a dogfucker?

I did not, this is an amusing surprise that's somewhat brightened my day.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Did you go to school in Kesgrave?

*edit* My girlfriend was telling me last night that apparently, according to her aunt who was high up in the police, incidents of animal...abuse throughout the nation are highest in Suffolk. Greatest, most disturbing story, was the one she told about a guy using tomato ketchup as lubrication for sex with horses. Apparently the farmer was most perplexed why his horses were getting spooked in the evening and then the following morning the beasties were prancing around with red bumholes.

haakman fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

In fairness, most of us have shared this forum with Morally Inept so we don't really have room to talk.

Sharing a forum with another notable member out of 180,000 registered members is not that special. Going to school with somebody? Thats pretty notable.

Plus, you know, dogfucker factor.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Well I for one am shocked that someone convicted of loving a horse was also a brony

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Zero Gravitas posted:

Plus, you know, dogfucker factor.

Saturday night TV hits a new low.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Stottie Kyek posted:

They sent G4S goons round my flat just to read the meter. The first time they came, I didn't believe an energy company would work with them, and just thought it was some scammer who happened to work for G4S and had their ID. Looked it up, found that Scottish Power really do sub-contract to G4S, and switched soon after. :ohdear:

This is a couple of pages back but I found that out recently too. More annoyingly though those G4S guys werent actually bothering to tell Scottish Power my meter readings because they apparently have no record of my new meter (installed in 2011) and any readings at all up until 2 months ago when I got an online account and started putting in readings for myself (because my bill inexplicably went up 25 quid and I wanted to see why).

Thinking of quitting them too because sorting this out should be a couple of easy emails and a a couple of weeks wait. It hasnt been...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

It makes more sense when its broken down to simply build a new massive urban metropolis for that amount of money.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Yes, but London is special! If it doesn't get a zillion quid forever then it'll shrivel up and die, like the precious little flower it is.

If London can pay for this itself then what is the problem?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

haakman posted:

Did you go to school in Kesgrave?

:ughh: I did

haakman
May 5, 2011
Congratulations for, I assume, getting out!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hope it turns out you both went to school together and had a fling so we can have an awkward silence in the UKMT.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

glitchkrieg posted:

Saturday night TV hits a new low.

Not that I would watch either, but Britain's Got Bestiality still sounds like a better evening's entertainment than Simon Cowell manufacturing another pop sensation whose career lasts slightly less time than their first "hit". They both have an equal chance of producing music, but at least the horse isn't faking it.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Not that I would watch either, but Britain's Got Bestiality still sounds like a better evening's entertainment than Simon Cowell manufacturing another pop sensation whose career lasts slightly less time than their first "hit". They both have an equal chance of producing music, but at least the horse isn't faking it.

Theres a joke here about flogging/loving a horse but I cant quite find it.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

I hope it turns out you both went to school together and had a fling so we can have an awkward silence in the UKMT.

Guy went to school with a dogfucker

Other guy took a giant poo poo in public on a railway station

Whatever drivel pours out of General China's mouth

Truly, we are spoiled for awkward moments but never silenced in the glorious UKMT

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Metrication posted:

If I am a wealthy man, why should I pay for other people's healthcare?

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/editor-picks/fracking-camerons-most-shocking-speech-102639590.html?vp=1

Hilarious stuff from "Cameron" :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

What a powerful and persuasive message from Greenpeace :psyduck:

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Metrication posted:

If London has the ability to pay for it itself, it's probably because London has developed said ability thanks in part to large amounts of tax revenue historically being funneled into it from elsewhere in the country, isn't it?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Car Stranger posted:

If London has the ability to pay for it itself, it's probably because London has developed said ability thanks in part to large amounts of tax revenue historically being funneled into it from elsewhere in the country, isn't it?

Have you got some numbers on that btw?

The last set of numbers I've come across shows that in 2010/2011 about 20% of London's overall tax take went to the regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Munin posted:

Have you got some numbers on that btw?

The last set of numbers I've come across shows that in 2010/2011 about 20% of London's overall tax take went to the regions.

You are correct, from the CEBR in 2012 http://www.cebr.com/reports/how-money-in-some-regions-subsidises-others/

• Locked thread