Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

The State of Israel should be brought to an end. Not the people, just the state.
There are millions of well-armed Israeli Jews who are not interested in hearing that. So how to you expect that to happen?

Makes a lot more sense to pressure the State of Israel to withdraw from the West Bank and accede to Palestinian statehood therein. There's international consensus on that, and the EU is making headway with it. There is none of that for dismantling Israel as a state.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Or, you know, it could have just been a street-level jacking gone horribly wrong.

Also not all of Hamas is 110% behind working with Fatah, who had just recently been suppressing them in the West Bank, and who, to their mind, had been collaborating with the Zionist oppressor for two decades now.

In any event, just because this is clearly in Israeli interest doesn't mean it was instigated by Israelis. They just needed a trigger, if this hadn't come up, a rocket from the Gaza Strip killing somebody, whether it was a response to a previous Israeli bombing or not, would have done the same work.

SedanChair posted:

The latter. They were hanging out on a street corner trying to hitchhike as that is apparently a popular way to rub their free movement in Palestinians' faces.

No, that is what happens when you need to move around a place that has poor public transportation service. Getting from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem to some of these settlements is easy, getting around them apparently is difficult if you don't have your own vehicle. I don't see how it's useful to make them out as more monstrous than actual actions are, it's not a productive way of engaging with people whose views/actions you want to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Give Palestinians Israeli citizenship and it will end on its own.

Who is going to be giving them that citizenship? I don't see that ending in anything but a brutal civil war that Palestinians will lose because Israelis are better armed. I would like to see less borders in some future time, but right now I don't see Israeli Jews accepting a State where Jews aren't in charge. If it has to be non-democratic, they'll take that route. Hell, they are taking that route with the Occupation right now, the only reason there's a semblance of the whole thing being democratic is that even according to Israeli law, the West Bank is under military occupation.

ETA:

SedanChair posted:

Hopefully more and more Jewish kids will become completely disillusioned with racism and support a one-state solution.
That won't happen while the Occupation is in existence. I sure as hell don't see it with Jewish kids now.

quote:

I have no hope of changing the minds of settlers in the West Bank. They're fanatics.
Some of them are fanatics, some of them have just had the issues conveniently hidden from their day-to-day lives. If you go to the bigger settlements like Ariel, you'd think it was part of Israel, in that you don't have to go through a checkpoint and there's not too many Palestinians around. If you pressure them they will move. They only moved there for the cheap housing anyway. It'll get harder and harder the longer occupation survives, though.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

These attitudes are actually shifting. I don't have any articles on hand, but I remember a few years back there was a flurry of articles about how Western Jewish people were growing disaffected with Israel due to the occupation (at least in part).

That's great, but it doesn't affect what Jewish Israelis think, and that is the constituency you need to deal with.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

Correct, however Israel has maintained its population growth with immigration from Jews abroad, which seems to be falling off among Western Jews as they become alienated from the state; further, if Jews abroad stop supporting Israel it raises the possibility of American (America being either the #1 or #2 most populous Jewish country depending on your math) support dropping off, both of which are game-changers.

The people who actually move to Israel and then stay there self-select to be able to deal with the racist bullshit, and are going to a Jewish state anyway. Even if all of them left you have a hard core of a few millions who are not going anywhere without a fight.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd say that the fact that Israel is religiously Jewish is completely incidental and has been for decades. It's a nation run by a power hungry corrupt regime using religion as a thin veil of justification for what they do just like any other country in the Middle East. Except that this nation is fully backed by financial and military resources of the United States, really loving up the balance of the region by basically allowing said corrupt regime to do whatever the gently caress they want. Does this make sense? I know I'm simplifying things a massive amount.

I'd say that you are misinformed. There is widespread popular support for Jews being in charge of Israel. Even the secular Jewish tradition (of which my parents come from) knew precisely the kind of religion they were protesting against, and have substituted Orthodox Judaism with a kind of Biblical fundamentalism, with nationalism replacing faith. They see themselves justified by the Holocaust and Pogroms rather than divine right, but they will not accept, at this time, being ruled by a non-Jewish majority.

I do not know what "regime" you are talking about; there have been changes in government, although mostly it's been Likud and such in power, and they were elected by Israeli citizens, not imposed by anybody. They are right-wing and nationalist because the Israeli public is such.

SedanChair posted:

Still no evidence it was Palestinians, let alone Hamas.

Considering that Hamas has pointedly refused to condemn it, unlike Abbas, I wouldn't rule them out, although I agree there is not enough evidence for that. However, considering that most violence involving Jews in the West Bank is with Palestinians (and occasionally with the military, although the military usually does not fight back in anywhere near the same violence it fights Palestinians), yeah, I'd say other settlers being the culprits is not a likely scenario.

ETA:

Nintendo Kid posted:

I support the US immediately taking over all occupation duties in Palestinian territory, since it would remove the IDF.

That's great. Sell that to the Israeli public, or the American one for that matter. It is much likelier to get the Israeli public to push the IDF to remove settlers (as they have done in the Sinai and in the Gaza Strip and Northern "Samaria") than any foreign power.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

Right! But that's still not the same thing as an unassailable majority backed up by immigration and the world superpower. If American support drops off, the whole thing goes South-Africa shaped in short order.

No, because there is a Palestinian Authority waiting to take over a state, and there is an international consensus that the Israelis get to be whatever assholes they want if they withdraw to the Green Line. So that is a much likelier choice on their part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

McDowell posted:

This is the same logic for why the Israelis no longer give a poo poo about the peace process 'they elected Hamas'

No. Israelis no longer give a poo poo about the peace process because they don't see any developments in it. The actual alternatives need to be explained to them, and demonstrated to them. So far they are reluctant to go head on against the settlers because they do not see that it will lead anywhere. Disillusioning them from this notion that settlements make them safer will be the first step, although the increasing cost of settlements to the non-settler public is going to help out. Especially if the EU is rigorous in making the settlements untenable for business and banking, and if the US finally stops giving Israel blank diplomatic checks. A nice non-veto for Israel in the UNSC would be a good start. They only need to do this once.

McDowell posted:

The choice has been made, let them have their war. Whoever comes out on top in Syria will be marching south anyway, so at this point it is inevitable.
Excuse me while I am not so fatalistic about my family and friends in Israel, and instead try to find a way for them to not die because of stupid policy choices some of them may support, but all of them will suffer from.

That being said, the IDF will make mincemeat of ISIS. They may not have a lot of experience fighting people who actually fight back (Lebanon War 2 - Galilean Buggaloo definitely proved that), they have the equipment and the people, and the battlefield is a great place to learn. Plus they will be fighting on home turf and for their homeland. That tends to give you a bit of a boost in morale that you don't get from breaking into houses to abduct children.

SedanChair posted:

The fighting prowess and inclinations of the modern Israeli are greatly exaggerated. Years of soft living and occupation duty mean that they don't know what a real war is. They certainly don't have any of the toughness of the plucky little band of terrorists who founded the country.

As I said above, they will have catching up to do vis-a-vis actual fighting, but with the right equipment, and if they needed to, they will manage. IDF service is not soft living. I was shocked to find that American troops actually trained in barracks. IDF soldiers do their Basic Training in tents in the desert. The real problem is bad logistics and poor preparedness for actual fighting, but just the air assets will be able to make up for it while the ground troops catch up.

illrepute posted:

That's not true though? About the consensus. That's not an actual thing the international community has expressed.
UNSC resolutions 242 and 338 both acknowledge Israel within the Green Line borders. The Saudi Initiative, signed by all Arab League and all Organization of Islamic Countries states (including Iran!) acknowledge Israel within the Green Line. Any negotiation under the auspices of the US or the Quartet has always accepted Israel within the Green Line. Is there another expression of international consensus that I am missing here?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, friend. Just that the US itself muscling out Israel in Palestine would probably be good.

Well, I think that before things went south, the idea was that NATO forces would be hanging around the West Bank and Gaza in lieu of Palestine having it's own real, honest-to-God army. But that would have been after Israel withdrew its own settlers, although border fixes made it so there wouldn't really be a need to move that many, anyway.

illrepute posted:

There's a difference between recognizing Israel within the context of them withdrawing from the Occupied Territories and just letting Israel be "whatever assholes they want" as long as the occupation ends.

Well, I'll qualify that in saying that the international community has been very reluctant to actually intervene in the assholery of member states up to a certain level, which Israel not granting its Arab citizens the same rights as Jews but allowing them to vote and have quite a few of the same civil rights does not reach. I don't see an international equivalent of the 101 Airborne desegregating a school in Little Rock.

SedanChair posted:

I've got to admit the idea of a 19-year-old kid from the Ozarks yelling "Hey get the gently caress away from there! What the gently caress are you doing?" at crazed settlers spitting on Palestinian kids gives me a fuzzy feeling.

But uh yeah nobody wants that job.
That would actually be kind of amazing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

No, you're definitely right. But it's important to recognize that Israel/Palestine has a unique position in international diplomacy (being the subject of a HUGE amount of UN resolutions) and I don't see that fading from international view even after a hypothetical Israeli withdrawal from the Occupied Territories. The U.N. is hypervigilant about issues developing in that region, and if post-withdrawal Israel continues to be militarily adventurous in Palestine or other neighboring countries, I don't see the U.N. (hypothetical future-UN) and the international community deciding that because they don't have soldiers on the ground in Hebron anymore they'll just let it slide. Maybe that's optimistic.
Most of these resolutions have to do with Israel ignoring past resolutions, mostly with US diplomatic cover. And you're talking about adventurism in Palestine, but what I'm saying is that, within their internationally recognized borders, there is not much that the international community is going to pressure them to do or not to do. That will be up to political actions internally. There is only so much that can be expected of international pressure or action.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

I don't really see American support for Israel eroding at any point, unless Israel does something monumentally stupid. Like, Israel could declare the West Bank and Gaza integral parts of Israel tomorrow and send in their army to drive every Palestinian out of the new borders and I can't imagine anything more than hand-wringing and empty diplomatic threats from America - and the extremely pro-Israel factions would just double-down anyway. Without losing bedrock American support, not just from one administration, Israel will remain untouchable.

This support does have its limitations, though. It hasn't stopped the EU from restricting its R&D funding from reaching institutions in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, nor requiring that Israel label any of its products from there. There are ways around it, but a sufficiently rigorous enforcement regime can have a chilling effect that may make it a bad investment choice.

Furthermore, there is a good argument to be made that US pressure on Israel for a two-state solution is saving Israel from long-term problems created by this blanket diplomatic support. If American Jews are really getting disenchanted with supporting Israeli right-wingers, and this finally percolates up the Jewish organization ladder, this may also help.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Support as in votes, maybe. Support as in money, eh there's a lot more rich Jews than rich Evangelicals (especially as a proportion to their respective populations) and just like any other rich people they donate to aid their interests.

In that context it may be worth mentioning that Sheldon Adelson has been bankrolling a freely distributed daily newspaper whose sole purpose is to shore up support for one Benjamin Netanyahu, distorting the local media landscape in the process.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xrunner posted:

A state for the Kurds and a state for the Roma is as divisive and problematic as a state for the French or a state for the Norwegians.
Divisive and problematic more than multi-ethnic states such as Yugoslavia or Ukraine? Hell, even Czechoslovakia got split up, and they managed to do it amicably.

quote:

Look at the tensions that develop when you draw states around ethnic and cultural boundaries. Riots, hate, yeah.
Not as many as when you draw lines according to whatever resources you feel you want to have under this or that sphere of influence. Citation: the Middle East, Eastern Europe (except for Poland, much more stable once they got rid of those pesky Jews and Germans).

quote:

What we need are secular, multicultural states finding the way forward.
Sure. If that can be made to work. How about you show me a working example other than Canada and arguably the US? And that was built at the expense of open areas taken from natives.

quote:

Israel is an apartheid state, based on dubious religious identity, horrifically oppressing a group of people who could learn as much from the Israelis as they could teach. It's time for a secular one state solution. Seriously.
No. The time for that will be when those millions of Jews and millions of Palestinians actually believe in that solution, and when institutions are built up that can deal with that kind of pluralism. And that won't happen when many of them get their education from serving in the Occupation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

e X posted:

What is the actual reason behind the settlements? I don't mean the realpolitik for their existence, but how are they soled to the public. If Israel accepts, or at least acknowledges, the Palestinian territory, how do they explain the building of settlements. Including internationally.

Quite a few Israeli Jews, particularly the National Religious stream, believe that Judea and Samaria (the West Bank) were promised to Jews by God, and therefore it is legitimate for Jews to settle there, regardless of pesky notions of international law.

Others excuse it by saying that it doesn't matter because the Arabs will hate us anyway, or since it was taken from Jordan which held it illegally, then it's fine (there's a phrase in Hebrew: "he who steals from a thief is exempt from punishment").

Internationally, as far as I know not a single other country acknowledges Israeli claims to the West Bank, Gaza or the Golan Heights, although their enforcement in terms of banning products from there, investment, etc, is uneven. The EU has started cracking down more seriously recently, although they've been requiring Israel to label its settlement products for years.

Most countries do not accept Jerusalem, pre or post 1967, as the Israeli capital, hosting their embassies around Tel Aviv, instead. And East Jerusalem is usually considered part of the West Bank as far as they are concerned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

In actual news, it seems that there has also been an uptick of rocket fire from the Gaza Strip but the articles I've read on it seem to indicate that it's not believed to originate from Hamas but from smaller terrorist groups. What that means about Hamas complicity in these murders, if anything, is debatable.

It's much likelier to do with Israeli attacks on the Gaza strip than to have any kind of relevance to anyone's complicity in these murders.

Umiapik posted:

Except, in the USA, it's a serious criminal offence for a business to boycott Israel. There's a whole government department set up to make sure that American companies don't do this and that individuals who contact a company, asking them to support a boycott, are reported to the authorities:

http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/enforcement/oac

I keep forgetting this law just because of how insane it is. I mean, how has it not been overturned by the Supreme Court's "money is speech" doctrine already? At least one good thing could come of that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GuyinCognito posted:

You know who prints his hate rag for the white supremacists in Israel? Haaretz prints it for him because its an extra source of income and nobody buys center-left newspapers in Israel.

I don't see how calling even the most racist Israeli Jews "white supremacists" makes sense. They are Jewish supremacists.

In any event, that is no longer entirely true. They have their own press, which they bought from the faltering Maariv; it's been operative since February, and they're slowly getting more and more printed there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GuyinCognito posted:

Most jews and zionists are white. They bring in some tokenism from Africa to say they are multicultural but they are still white. White supremacists.
More than 50% of Israeli Jews are from North Africa and the Middle East. And most of them, Ashkenazi ("white") or no, while looking at some non-Jewish Europeans favorably, still see Jews as superior. You should see how non-Jewish Russian immigrants are treated. Second class.

quote:

You know if only the hate filled ethnic cleansers loved their children more then stealing land, murdering and raping Palestinians, kidnapping and torturing and killing Palestinian children, then this would never have happened. Israel and the concept of Israel needs to be erased from the pages of history.
This is not very productive thinking. If all you have is an all-consuming hatred of Israeli Jews borne of sympathy for Palestinians, then you are not going to get anywhere in either understanding the situation or presenting viable solutions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why are there so much media attention on three dead Israelis and almost nothing on the five Palestinians killed in the search for them? The Guardian even said some of those killed were minors.
For the first few days, some people in Israel were complaining that there wasn't enough international coverage. Personally, I think it was only interesting because of the uncertainty, as they were missing, whereabouts unknown. The story now is going to be Israel's disproportionate response, hopefully, if anyone bothers tuning in to something other than ISIS, Ukraine, Japan's "reinterpretation" of their Charter, etc.

As for the Palestinian casualties, I heard is that there was one 13-year-old, one mentally disabled man, and an elderly couple killed. Those were especially heinous, but there seem to have been more. At least 9, so the Facebook rumor mill has it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GuyinCognito posted:

My hatred for zionism and the state of Israel could never compare to the hatred that Israelis have towards Palestinians. I would never murder or rape anyone. Not even a hate filled zionist who's only wish in life is to exterminate and expel all non-jews from greater Israel.
Most Israelis only hate Palestinians inasmuch as they see them as irrationally hateful enemies. Decades of left-wingers unable to articulate a meaningful approach to them other than asking that they be seen as "good" or "victims" did not help. There is an old Israeli movie called Avanti Popolo, about Egyptian POW's in the Six Day War, in which one of them cites Shylock, from the Merchant of Venice. I think that would have been a much better argument for improving Israeli policy, instead of playing into this whole "perfect victim" entrapment.

quote:

I already understand the situation and know the solution. The solution is limited bombing of their WMD sites and massive worldwide sanctions.
Do tell me how this would be done, and by whom. Is your magical bombing force going to somehow disable their SAM sites and fighters? It isn't a solution if it is not viable and makes no sense. Wishful thinking isn't policy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Assuming that this thread also acts as a general Israel thread, I'm wondering if anybody else has been following the asylum seeker odyssey. We had a thread about it that was closed a couple of months ago, when they ended up marching on Jerusalem in protest of their conditions.

They had since been relegated to a refugee camp, Holot, near the internment camp, Saharonim. (Or is it an internment camp vs. a prison? I am not sure the translation works well, and I guess it's charged, anyway.)

A few days ago many of them marched out of it and erected a tent camp near the Israeli-Egyptian border, protesting their harsh conditions. Israeli authorities responded with their usual discretion and concern for the human rights of a disadvantaged population:

quote:

Israel-Egypt border - Israeli police have raided a protest camp near the Israeli-Egyptian border, arresting the 1,000 African asylum seekers protesting there, and injuring dozens.

A group of asylum seekers, mainly from Eritrea and Sudan, left Israel's Holot detention centre on Friday in a mass act of civil disobedience. Opened six months ago, the detention facility is referred to by the government as an "open prison". Detainees are forced to participate in a head count three times a day, can’t work or study, and live under harsh conditions.

Since the detention facility was set up, Israeli immigration police have imprisoned more than 2,500 African asylum seekers under the country's so-called "Infiltrators Law", which allows Israel to detain, without charge or trial, migrants who have entered the country without legal documentation.

The Israeli Ministry of Interior does not process individual asylum requests; according to human rights groups, the country has recognised less than 200 asylum seekers as refugees since its creation in 1948.

The detainees decided to march towards the Israeli-Egyptian border, only a few kilometres from Holot, to demand that Israel and the international community recognise in their refugee status, or alternatively allow them to go to Egypt, where most travelled to Israel from.

The Israeli army and police forces prevented the marchers from advancing to the border, and a temporary camp was established nearby.

Forty-eight hours later, Israeli immigration police were sent to the camp in large numbers, forcibly boarding all the protesters on a bus, and returning them to prison.

The story itself has photos of the event and aftermath.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Israelis, like the settlers of all European colonies implicitly (and sometimes explicitly) want to eventually take all the native population's land and property. As they become more established it becomes more overt but the desire is always there.
More than half of Israelis are descended from Jews who fled North African and Middle Eastern countries, so it is quite a stretch to paint them as "white".

quote:

In this context the peace process is an interesting modern PR cover for colonialism. Whereas in the past the natives were violent savages (because they reacted to the violent appropriation of their land and resources) who needed civilising through sublimation into the white settler state nowadays they are bad faith negotiators because Israel has no desire to adhere to any agreement that is negotiated. Stop hitting yourselves natives.

The pretense put forward by Zionists that Israelis are losing faith in the 'peace process' is made mockery of by A cursory glance at Israeli actions. For instance the reaction to the Oslo accords, a great deal for Israel (if it wanted any kind of negotiated settlement) and a lovely one for Palestine yet the Israeli reaction was to assassinate the leader who negotiated the historic accord and quickly abandon all commitment to it.

There is only one Israeli society apparently. This Israeli society does one thing and then another and then kills its own leaders. I suppose an alternate theory would be that Israeli society is multifaceted with many opposing forces, in which some dominate over others under different historical contexts, and which have changed dramatically with diplomatic cover from the US, and one might ponder the change in, say, the stream that Rabin's assassin comes from, which used to be diffident and hesitant about warmongering until the victory in 1967 convinced it that salvation was at hand, and one might wonder what that stream's current strength is based upon, and whether there are any faults in this base; one might also wonder what was it that pushed the architect of the most vicious policies reacting to the first Intifada to make peace with Arafat, that man with whose organization it had been illegal to come in contact just a few years beforehand.

But that would require nuance, and sounds like work, and it seems a lot of posters here are content to bloviate their contempt for Israeli society and Zionism in lieu of presenting any solutions or interesting commentary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nobody has said much of anything about Israeli socity, which is multifaceted with many opposing forces and so on and so forth. People have said things about the State of Israel, which has had a remarkably consistent policy of loving over the Palestinians pretty much since its founding.

You conflating these two makes you look like a bad-faith rear end in a top hat out to muddle the waters and poo poo up the discussion. Or I suppose that it could be that understanding that a state and a society aren't the same thing would require nuance and sounds like work, and it seems like you are more interested in arguing against the position that you want to argue against, despite the fact that nobody actually has advocated it.

This is what I was responding to:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The pretense put forward by Zionists that Israelis are losing faith in the 'peace process' is made mockery of by A cursory glance at Israeli actions. For instance the reaction to the Oslo accords, a great deal for Israel (if it wanted any kind of negotiated settlement) and a lovely one for Palestine yet the Israeli reaction was to assassinate the leader who negotiated the historic accord and quickly abandon all commitment to it.

Saying that Israel assassinated Rabin is to conflate society with State with policy. He's not the only person in this thread to do this, just a more ridiculous one. But case in point:

GuyinCognito posted:

It sucks that 3 white kids died while burning down olive trees in a pricetag attack but their parents didnt love them. They just wanted to use the kids to create a greater Israel. A state for white supremacists.

Israel is to poo poo what poo poo is to poo poo. It should be wiped off the pages of time like south african apartheid, the soviet union, and pol pot's cambodia. All zionist "white people" that live in "Israel" (really Palestine) are committing war crime of colonialism.

Limited bombings of military sites and full sanctions is the only solution.

Apparently blind hatred is okay if it's directed at Israeli Zionist white supremacists. Add your own negative descriptor to the word salad and violent fantasies, I sure as hell don't hear enough of those from right-winged Israelis I argue with.

Rogue0071 posted:

I like how the mantra of "Israel's right to exist" is bandied about so much that people talk about whether Palestinians should accept it as a precondition for negotiations without critically considering it at all. Israel is an apartheid state. Apartheid states do not have a "right to exist", they should be destroyed and replaced with a new state or states. Palestinians should have no obligation to accept the maintenance of apartheid and discrimination against Arab-Israelis (which Israel's "right to exist as a Jewish state" entails).

Other than occupying the West Bank, East Jerusalem, blockading Gaza, and unilaterally annexing the Golan Heights, which are big, I admit, Israel is not the worst member of the UN. It would just be a discriminatory ethnic democracy, which has a right to exist inasmuch as the international community is willing to mostly allow internal agitation to change it. See Saudi Arabia, any of the Emirates, North Korea, etc. That is why the push to the Green Line is such a big deal, not because they give a lot of poo poo that Arabs don't get the same kind of land allocation or job opportunities as Jews, or because their history keeps getting erased, or any number of other discriminatory and heinous policies, inside the internationally recognized borders of Israel.

"Right to exist" may sound like a mantra to you, but it's a reasonable starting point if you're asking a country to negotiate with any other. Since the PLO has already done this, though, it's not a real barrier; instead, "recognize as a Jewish state" is the stupid spoiler Netanyahu keeps rambling about, and which Abbas will not accept, for obvious reasons. It's one thing to accept a country, another thing to condone everything that it does, especially what you disagree with, off the bat.

Livewire42 posted:

As opposed to all the surrounding Arab states that declared war and attacked as soon as Israel accepted the UN proposed borders?

The more I think of it, the less it made sense to pretend that there was any possibility for a separate Arab country in Palestine. Palestinian leadership had already been completely broken in the 1936-1939 Arab Revolt. It would have made much more sense to simply allocate those territories to existing countries directly. That way the armies would have had clear borders to go up to, and internationally, the status of the various portions would have been a lot more clear-cut. Instead there was this passing back and forth of the buck over those territories, and a lot of diplomatic ammunition against Egypt and Jordan for holding occupied lands, equivocated with Israeli expansion beyond the partition lines. The refugees would have also had an easier status as displaced citizens rather than being displaced from a hostile country/non-existent one in the imagined future return.

Real hurthling! posted:

wow all those armies must have been a real threat to poor innocent israel.

It sure seemed so at the time to migrants from Central and Eastern Europe who felt this was just a large-scale pogrom, as well as the Holocaust refugees armed and trained to fight for a country of their own. Fortunately for the Zionists, Ben Gurion realized that military force would be essential, and made the Hagana and its various militias a priority in his planning, exactly for this type of scenario, and they had been making connections for a long time, including by siding with the Allies in WWII, so they were able to overpower the other militaries coming in. But this kind of anachronistic thinking, where you project Israels clear, undoubtable, ridiculous primacy in Middle Eastern military prowess to the past is what makes it difficult to understand how people thought then, and how that reflects forward to how things are now. You can trace back the primacy of the IDF in Israeli politics to that era, if you understand the why, but you won't if you think Israel was always top-dog without any doubt or question.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

so just to be clear, you want to stress to me that israel's victories were uncertain and perhaps impressive and your proof is that they planned really hard in advance with western powers and set up their government to be run by literal terroists.
It required all that planning and maneuvering diplomatic connections with Western powers to break even with British-armed and trained military powers, yes. The fact that they saw the need for all of this work means that it did not look certain at the time. But the fact that those powers were not really fighting for their territory helped lessen their morale. Which is why I think the Partition Plan was a mistake, and the Arab Palestinian land would have been better apportioned to existing Arab states, instead of a purported future one.

Hell, until the victories in 1967, it was a wide consensus about Arab scholars and political analysts that Israel was an ephemeral thing that will disappear soon, and propaganda directed at Israelis reflected that. At this point, Israeli military leaders already knew differently, but it took a while to percolate to the wider population, and there are still remnants of "we will be slaughtered en masse if we blink" in Israeli discourse. We've seen this kind of nonsense in this very thread, where GaussianCopula is comparing Hamas to the Nazis. Just like Netanyahu keeps comparing Iran to the Nazis. With the implication that Jews are in the exact same situation vis-a-vis them as they were with the Nazis, unless we fight back (by bombing civilians, abducting kids, and spoiling cease-fires and negotiations). People of my grandfather's generation had every right to spend most of their lives with this mentality. It is unfortunately very difficult to get people of mine or my parents` to realize that this is entirely anachronistic, and the yearly trips of Israeli Jewish high-schoolers to the extermination camps, and the constant connection made between a strong army and not letting that happen, doesn't help.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheImmigrant posted:

It is more than reasonable to assume that Palestinians and/or their supporters murdered those teenagers. This isn't proof, but a rebuttable presumption.

It is more than reasonable to assume that Jewish settlers and/or their supporters have been responsible for a lot of deaths and agony that these killers and their families have undergone. So is their assault justified? They did attack Jewish settlers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xandu posted:

Teenagers shouldn't be killed because of their parents' political choices.

I entirely agree with that. I was merely mirroring TheImmigrant's arguments at him, as he seems to be condoning similarly heinous actions towards Palestinians qua Palestinians.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think this has been brought up, but aside from the actual 911 (100 in Israel) recording being published, several police officers were demoted as a result of the botched response to the call. Top brass were spending the week or so after the abduction repeatedly claiming that they handled it impeccably; guess not.

quote:

JERUSALEM (JTA) — Several senior police officers were demoted for “severe failure of conduct” in their handling of the phone call from one of three kidnapped Israeli teenagers.

A committee investigating the call found that the police officers at the Judea and Samaria Police emergency call center considered the call a prank and did not follow up by notifying the army, according to protocol.

The center received the call at 10:25 p.m. June 12 from someone who whispered “We’ve been kidnapped,” according to the panel’s findings released Monday. The call was cut off after two minutes.

A senior officer who called the number back eight times received busy signals and then the voice mail. The officer did not tell her supervisors about the call.

The soldier who received the call initially was found to have acted properly by transferring the call to a supervisor.

The bodies of the three teens — Gilad Shaar, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrach — were found in the West Bank on Monday afternoon in a field north of Hebron.

“Not providing a proper response to a man’s cry of distress is an unforgivable event by every measure that can ultimately undermine the public confidence in the police, which is a cornerstone of police activity,” Israel Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino said after the release of the report.

Some of the investigation had already been reported on last week; original reports had a gag order on the name of the officer in charge who was demoted. Gag orders are a dime a dozen over there, mostly for covering up someone's rear end in the security services.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Meanwhile, since the disproportionate response has yet to sate the bloodlust for some, there's a riot of right-wingers aching for revenge in Jerusalem

quote:

Protest over murdered teens turns violent across Jerusalem
By DANIEL K. EISENBUD
LAST UPDATED: 07/01/2014 19:18
Tweet
Police clash with hundreds of protestors chanting "Kahane was right!" and "Revenge!"; several arrests and injuries reported.
Video courtesy of News 24

An initially peaceful protest over the murders of Gil-Ad Shaer, Eyal Yifrah, and Naftali Fraenkel at the entrance to the capital Tuesday afternoon turned into a protracted riot, spanning much of the downtown area, including the Old City’s Jaffa Gate.

According to one eye witness, the violence began in front of the Central Bus Station at approximately 4 p.m., shortly after demonstrators blocked traffic on two major roads near the busy station.

“The cops came because they obstructed traffic,” said Lia Kamana, a Jerusalem Post intern, who unwittingly became embroiled in the melee. “The police kept trying to get them off the road, and that’s when they started arresting people.

“When the crowd realized people were getting arrested, it got violent.”

Kamana, a Hawaii native studying and working in Jerusalem, said she was struck in the face by an officer as the police attempted to contain the unruly crowd, although she was not seriously harmed.

“It started with people pushing police and police pushing back and I got hit in the face by a cop when he was pushing the crowd back,” she said. “I saw one kid split his head open after being pushed over a wall by an officer. I got an EMT for him.”

Kamana said a group of the protesters then gathered rocks to defend themselves, although none were thrown.

“There were three fights going on at once between the police and protesters,” she said.

After the violence abated, Kamana said a group of the protesters marched up Jaffa Road, where they soon converged upon an Arab-owned store and shouted at its owner, while his two small children watched on.

“There were people shouting at the owner about revenge and how the government needs to do something, and they overturned the store’s candy stands,” Kamana said. “The owner’s two little girls were freaking out and crying.”

Although owner and his daughters were not physically harmed, she said that they were “very upset.”

After leaving the store, the growing mob continued up Jaffa Road to the shuk, where they blocked the Light Rail’s train tracks and damaged a moped, she said.

“The cops then blocked off all the entrances to the shuk to prevent them from getting in and they soon left without any violence,” Kamana continued.

As the protest attracted more and more young people, Kamana said hundreds assembled approximately 30 minutes later at Jaffa Gate in the Old City demanding revenge.

“When the cops threatened to use tear gas the majority of the group began running away from the Old City and some people got trampled,” she said. “Then hundreds of people walked back to Jaffa Road and some of them sat on the train tracks.”

Moments later, as a police helicopter hovered above and officers on horseback attempted to quell the protest, the group went converged on City Hall’s Safra Square while chanting “Kahane was right” and Revenge!” and wearing stickers stating the same words.

Asked why she was joining the protest, teenager Noa Ben-Hamo, who was accompanied by two friends, expressed exacerbation over the murders of the three teenage yeshiva students.

“We are very angry and we came here to protest the terrorists,” said Ben-Hamo, as hundreds of other protesters continued down Jaffa Road followed by dozens of officers.

“We don’t want to live in fear and we don’t want war with the Arabs, but we want the terrorists to stop doing this because we are Jewish,” she continued.

“This is our country!”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paul MaudDib posted:

So far as I can tell, it's a claim with an equivalent amount of evidence as the claim that this was a nefarious Hamas plot. Meaning zero evidence but since we can't prove it's false we might as well presume that it is true. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, after all!

There's testimony of the parents, of people from their Yeshiva, and the 100 call, all pointing to a botched kidnapping.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

An angry crowd vandalizing Arab-owned stores in reprisal. They should have done this during the night.

To be fair, that's normal behavior in Eastern Jerusalem during Jerusalem Day. Police will literally tell Palestinians they better close their shops and come back the next day.

Jerusalem Day 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_ZjetcSMQ

Jerusalem Day 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVOZCapgRps

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 1, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

The parents and their Yeshiva don't actually know much as far as I am aware. IT might have been a kidnapping, but if you plan to punish a country and are going to kill a bunch of people, you better be 100% sure.

I mean you shouldn't punish a country for the actions of a few anyway, but that ain't gonna happen.

The parents and the Yeshiva knew they left from point A and didn't get to point B, and they informed police when they realized this. They were also allowed to listen to the 100 call a few days afterwards, unlike the rest of us, so it was clear to all involved that it had been a botched kidnapping. You hear gunfire and screaming in the background.

The response was bullshit and actively harmed finding the bodies and the killers, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

None of that is actual evidence of WHO did it. How is that phonecall any different than it would be if, hypothetically, it was some other settlers trying to kidnap them for a money ransom?

The kid says "I was kidnapped", there is a man shouting at another person to lower their heads in Arab-accented Hebrew, then some Arabic, then gunfire. I guess that Arabic-accented person could be a Settler faking an accent or an Arab working for a kidnapping Settler, but those seem less likely scenarios.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bassguitarhero posted:

Apparently we know HAMAS was involved because A) kids were kidnapped B) they said "we were kidnapped" C) you can hear gunshots in the background D) HAMAS and Fatah just entered a unified government that Israel is really pissed off about

It is relatively clear from the evidence that the kidnappers/killers were Palestinians. As for whether these were Hamas operatives, rogue agents, just some loose cannons, criminal elements, or whatnot? Who knows? What with all the evidence destroyed in the raids, and how easy it is to just pick up a car and kidnap a hitchhiker, we may never be sure. I'm just saying that the settlers kidnapping other settlers for ransom scenario is terribly unlikely, and there's really no point in repeatedly bringing it up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The point in repeatedly bringing it up is to underscore the blood thirst of the Israeli government.

It's brought up not because it is likely, or even plausible, but it illustrates the absurdity of immediately pinning it on Hamas or Palestinians as a justification to indisicriminately punish them.

I'm getting serious "Let's just lynch the nearest Negro" vibes here.
Repeating a completely ludicrous scenario with a straight face just because it absolves any Palestinian ever from any responsibility only underscores the complete partisanship of the writer. It distracts from the bloodthirst of the Israeli government. It's much easier to argue from the evidence that "hey, you guys don't know who did this specifically, it makes no loving sense to start terrorizing whole cities" than "oh, we don't even know if this was done by Palestinians, lah-di-dah."

One of these paints you as an anti-Israeli/pro-Palestinian fanatic, another makes the likelihood of anyone with any sympathy to any Israelis actually listening to your point non-zero. Guess which is which?

CharlestheHammer posted:

A more app example is you here hoofbeats and shoot it because it might be a horse. Turns out it was a Zebra. Oops.

Yeah, that is a better analogy. This kind of mentality among the Israeli public, percolating into the military, is how half of Israelis killed in Cast Lead were soldiers killed by other Israeli soldiers. "Shoot first, ask questions later"/"round up the usual suspects", even divorced from the horrors it inflicts on its victims, is bad police work, bad security work, just not even effective, period. And on effectiveness you can at least try and theoretically reach dyed-in-the-wool pro-Israelis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

Why should anybody compromise their messages of human rights, freedom and democracy in order to appeal to racist religious apartheidist ethnic cleansing colonialists and the people who support them?! why SHOULD you reach them?! if they're so out of touch with humanitarian and democratic principles and choose to ignore their moral compasses, then you SHOULD call them out as being crazies and despise them as such.

Because the aim is to actually affect change in reality. And that is going to require Israeli Jews to change their opinions and behaviors. If you somehow want to do that by force, that's great, but it hasn't worked in the past; another way is to actually communicate with them and understand what it is that motivates them so you know how to get them to change behavior, and what is the viable range of such change.

The message of "human rights, freedom and democracy" rings hollow when there are barely any political leaderships around that espouse that, or that are likely to magically manifest themselves. You open yourself up to questions of how the hell a fundamentalist group like Hamas is expected to promote any of that. While if you go through constituencies and matters of self-interest, whether or not Hamas are "good people" or "democratic" or whatnot becomes much less relevant.

Xandu posted:

Yeah, but not all Israeli Arabs are Druze or Bedouin. Plenty consider themselves Palestinians as well. But you're right, they operate in a weird inbetween that makes their identity not black and white, because they don't all feel fully part of Israel, yet they clearly are in many respects.

They do find themselves in a very awkward and compromised position. Here is a take from the point of view of one of the leaders of the National Democratic Assembly, usually known to Israelis as "Balad" from the Hebrew acronym. They made a very distinct attempt to reach out to Israeli Jews of Arab descent last election cycle, which I thought was an approach with much long-term potential, although it'll require some work. It has definitely been a place where a lot of Mizrahi Jewish radical leftists who feel marginalized by the Ashkenazi elite in that sub-movement could feel somewhat more at home, although that is not universal even among my own friends.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

That's pretty much just another way to stake claim to the occupied territory.

Yeah, a Kibbutz is just a type of small agrarian town, that it is in the West Bank means it's a settlement.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xandu posted:

I know, just thought it was interesting that they didn't grow up in settlements.

What source are you using? Ynet (Yedioth's website) has only one of them, Naftali Frenkel, being from inside the Green Line.

Generally it isn't surprising for people of the national-religious movement to study in settlements even if they haven't originally grew up in them; all of Eretz Israel belongs to Jews equally, as far as they are concerned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

For some reason I was certain that El'ad was in the West Bank. Some Israeli expat I am. :doh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spaceman Future! posted:

Really, what choice does Palestine have at this point? They can either lay down and die slow by encroachment and eventual expulsion or quickly by reaction, what would option 3 be?

Do what Abbas has been doing, which involves cracking down on his own people so he can be taken seriously, improving Palestine's standing in the UN, getting Hamas under PLO's wing so that Gaza and the West Bank are under a unified government, and making sure the international community sees his PA as the saner partner in this negotiation; then basically ride the sanctions on the West Bank settlements until the Israelis end up yielding. I wouldn't say that killing those three kids was clearly the spoiler for that, as I am sure some other excuse would have been found if this hadn't become apparent, and the Israeli government had been trying to find excuses for a while now, but it was looking like the international community was warming up to basically accepting Hamas as legitimized under this configuration, to the chagrin of the Israeli government. But frankly, I think that within a week or two, these kids will be forgotten, while Israeli atrocities will repeatedly make the news, and the configuration will come back to where it was. In the meantime, many more Palestinians will needlessly be killed and detained, their houses ruined, or die due to lack of basic supplies/medical care; Israeli casualties will likely be small in comparison, as usual considering the power differential.

Elotana posted:

@YiddishNewsFeed 1m
JERUSALEM: Suspected kidnapping and murdering of a 17 y/o Palestinian boy, by 3 people dragging in a car, body found in Givat Shaul.

This is on top of the Palestinian teenager killed by the IDF earlier during the search.

https://www.facebook.com/www.0404.co.il/posts/722981544441296

Some pretty :psyduck: comments here if Google Translate is to be believed

Yeah. There are a few comments condemning the act, but for the most part, they're excusing, condoning, and even reveling in it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

Are there still collectivized kibbutz in Israel? Or is 'kibbutz' now just a synonym for a small farming town?

A kibbutz is either currently or was in the past collectivized. More and more of them have become just small rural towns, with fewer and fewer of the trappings of collective living and shared work - others have formally disbanded as Kibbutzes. I wouldn't say "farming towns", because quite a few of them have more to do with factories that they own rather than agriculture. What's funny is that even the collectivized ones ended up using so much temp labor that they became basically a kind of extended family business. Those are the most "successful" ones.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

While I do read mondoweiss occasionally. It really is an eye opener. I mean I don't doubt there were plenty of Palestinians who probably were fine with the deaths of the three boys, but it almost makes me wonder how common the sentiments from these Israeli facebookers are. I hope these are your equivalent to freep.

I can tell you that when I was waiting for a doctor's appointment the morning of the boarding of the Mavi Marmara, many of those around me were egging each other on in wishing bad things to come to them, including burning the ship with its crew. Out of ten people there, it was only another person and myself who were vocally opposed to this. This is probably a more representative sample than my actual friends, most of whom do not think this way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spaceman Future! posted:

Well it sounds like a pretty easy destruction, given that a ton of major political players fervently announce that if Jewish citizens ever fall below some mythic 60% of the population line that Israel is dust in the wind. I mean, by that metric, Palestinians should be loving as often as possible, they can screw their way to the big V. Mutual out of control breeding as a means of conflict resolution really seems much less scarring for all parties involved.

Well, the two most fertile demographics seem to be ultra-orthodox Jews and Arab Muslims. Hypothetically, the former don't really care that much for Zionism, although they have recently gone further to the right, perhaps for pragmatic reasons, and they do seem to have been working well together now that they're both in the opposition in the Knesset. So, hell, maybe it'll all work out swimmingly! :shrug: :jewish::hf::jihad:

Yeah, none of my Facebook friends who are involved in these issues have "liked" this page, so I'm guessing reddit/4chan is just as detached from reality in this as in their other "projects".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Nobody has said that, you're barfing AIPAC again.

In any case, yes we're talking about the state. The United States should also be destroyed and wiped from the pages of time.

Get it?
How much killing is this destruction and wiping from the pages of time going to involve? Are you going to be taking part in this killing, or are you going to be backseat hemming and hawing about how you didn't really mean for it to be so violent and repugnant, but really, it's all their fault for not fitting your image of what a "good" state is?

The fact of the matter is that most states in the UN are terrible, but you are going to have to work really hard to show me a framework where you wipe them off the map without causing more atrocities and bloodshed.

• Locked thread