Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Give Palestinians Israeli citizenship and it will end on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Jewish State

Like I said, it ends on its own (by definition).

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Who is going to be giving them that citizenship? I don't see that ending in anything but a brutal civil war that Palestinians will lose because Israelis are better armed. I would like to see less borders in some future time, but right now I don't see Israeli Jews accepting a State where Jews aren't in charge. If it has to be non-democratic, they'll take that route. Hell, they are taking that route with the Occupation right now, the only reason there's a semblance of the whole thing being democratic is that even according to Israeli law, the West Bank is under military occupation.

That's effectively what's happening right now just drawn out.

The states of Palestine that exist now (either Gaza + West Bank or each individually) are not tenable states. They're Indian reservations.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aurubin posted:

You guys forget that the majority of US support stems from evangelicals actively trying to create the conditions for the second coming.

Support as in votes, maybe. Support as in money, eh there's a lot more rich Jews than rich Evangelicals (especially as a proportion to their respective populations) and just like any other rich people they donate to aid their interests.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Aren't there Arab Israeli citizens who aren't Palestinians?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xandu posted:

Sure there's Jews from other Arab countries, but generally when people refer to Arab Israelis, they mean Palestinians.

No I mean there are Arabs living in Israel (not the Palestinian territories) that don't consider themselves Palestinians.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aurubin posted:

I've always been curious why, in relative terms, Israel/Palestine rated so highly on the scale of moral atrocities. Without rancor, I'd probably say that it's because it's white people oppressing a minority. Cause people sure as poo poo don't care about a place like Eritrea.

Probably media attention and the fact that it's been ongoing for 70 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Saudi hate is pretty consistent across the board. A bunch of renewable energy rhetoric (including people from "clean coal") is essentially "Let's get off of oil so that we're not paying those Arabs money anymore".

If there is conservative support for them it's more in a necessary evil sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

illrepute posted:

The Soviets created a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in Siberia, the Americans came close to putting one in the Inside Passage of Alaska. Not great locations, but I'd certainly take Siberia over the war-torn ruins of Gaza.

It's not even that desolate, it's the same latitude as Paris.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Volkerball posted:

Hey you know that hospital that got bombed a couple days ago? Well they just got a phone call. Israel telling them to evacuate.

It must've been Joe Biden.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petey posted:

How is the beach event playing in the American media today?

It's not to the best of my knowledge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Guess that answers my question.

Actually it's not quite true:

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in-with-chris-hayes/watch/four-boys-killed-on-gaza-beach-306364483898

That's probably the most charitable video regarding it which is basically "here is the stuff that objectively happened, Israel says it wasn't intentional, the US isn't calling for an investigation because reasons".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, if anyone was wondering what the Indian wars would look like in the 21st Century...there you go.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Qmass posted:

oh come on, Americans loving LOVE their high horse. The hunt for bin laden killed way more civilians around the world than Israel has killed Palestinians

Only if you honestly believe Iraq was done to search for Bin Laden.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pafet posted:

funny :) you hate us all

Well, glad to confirm you're Jewish anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I wonder when Israel eventually goes the way of South Africa will all those defending it pretend they never did or act like bitter Afrikaners.

Presumably when they try doing this to the Israeli Arab population.

e: I thought you asked *when* it will go the way of South Africa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh how do I counter the argument that the Palestinians started all of this?

Say that even if they did start it they didn't do anything close to murdering children indiscriminately.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I find it funny that apparently a reasonable punishment for Hamas members is for the IDF to "demolish their houses". As though that's a reasonable thing to do for literally anything instead of just finding them and capturing them.

White1ce posted:

Yeah they only got on school buses filled with children and blew themselves up. Oh and that part about them firing dozens of missiles every day at israeli citizens. You can probably leave those parts out.

Which is still better than murdering children on a beach from the comfort of a ship.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FADEtoBLACK posted:

The problem wasn't the bomb or the capability of the targeting device, they hit exactly what they were aiming at. The problem exists in faulty intel and human error.

It sounds like the intel was accurate as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Abyss posted:

The civilian to combatant death ratio during a conflict hasn't changed in centuries (greater or equal to 50%), not sure why people are surprised that it's still happening.

There's a pretty big difference between a casualty rate of 50% and a casualty rate of 1000% though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The demographics issue is specifically related to Israeli Arabs. Israel doesn't want the Palestinians breeding because they want the land.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lum_ posted:

America is more right-wing than Europe (by a ridiculously large margin - the Tories and the Democrats are basically identical) and many Americans are reflexively anti-Arab/anti-Muslim which Israeli propagandists play off of masterfully. It is VERY hard to get the average American to sympathize with Israeli suppression of Palestinians, even when it's pointed out that a significant minority of Palestinians are Christian - apparently being "white" and saying the right things in sound bites trumps living in Bethlehem and trying to keep Christ's manger maintained.

On the other hand, the issues Israel is having (maintaining an ethnically "pure" state) are more better mirrored in European nations than in the US.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lum_ posted:

The average American is absolutely not uncomfortable with the native American genocide, because thanks to our educational system they're not really aware that it happened and resent angry activists trying to rename wackily racist names of sports teams.

The only people who are mad about the Redskins thing (mad at the activists anyway) are residents of Virginia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

I can't help but be pissed off at Israel's bullshit, beyond the obvious reasons, for making it seem like supporting Hamas is the better option. I mean, Jesus Christ on a loving cracker, how do you make a bunch of people who were doing suicide bombings less than a decade ago seem like the good guys?

You make them an allegory in Battlestar Galactica?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I thought the end result and the one no one mentions is that the only way we'll have peace in the Middle East is through multiple genocides? There will never be any sort of real peace in that region ever.

It's not the only method, just the most likely. The other way is severe economic investment in the region so that the state apparatuses are strong and people respect the rule of law. Then when they confrontational you break them down and reform their society, Japan post WW2 style (though hopefully sans nukes).

It's very unlikely though because as it stands the Middle Eastern economies are based around resource extraction rather than actually making stuff and resource extraction economies historically have been poor and weak (eg, the Ottomans or Russia in the 19th Century).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Those Hamas members are drawn exactly the same as how Jewish caricatures would be drawn 100 years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ekuNNN posted:

In the charter you posted earlier it actually says exiling the zionists.

You see, if Israel becomes anything but strictly Jewish and hostile to outsiders that counts as the destruction of Israel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The concept of an eye for an eye is in the Talmund. Israelis can't even follow their own book correctly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

When people talk about human shields, they don't mean civilians going "Hey, don't bomb us, we're civilians!".

Well, the IDF does at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Literally the only way the Israeli campaign makes sense is if their real targets are the buildings and not the people.

(This is the truth because it encourages people to leave)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amgard posted:

And go.... Where?

Away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amgard posted:

Funny thing about Gaza...

Death is an option for "away".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treizebee posted:

China being harder on Israel then we are.

The gently caress.

e: China going ham actually.

China prefers that you claim the territory before you try to displace the people within it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petey posted:

Can anyone else confirm that Facebook has blocked people from sharing this Onion article in News Feed? http://www.theonion.com/articles/palestinians-prepare-for-massive-ground-invasion,36495/

It doesn't block it but it doesn't format it as a link (because there's a comma in the URL I think).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TLM3101 posted:

To be fair, no US president can afford to give any fucks about Palestine. There are far too many lobbying-interests and political blocks devoted to ensure Israel's immunity from repercussions to make any US intervention a possibility.

To be fair also Obama has criticized him:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/11/sarkozy-obama-dont-like-netanyahu-can-bad-diplomacy-change-history/248108/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

L-Boned posted:

However, groups like the PLO and Hamas would not be in power if there was not conflict so they benefit from keeping the status quo.

Finally, we have some common ground between Hamas and the Israeli government.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

L-Boned posted:

Peace, expulsion of terrorist groups, leadership in government. Ironically, the desires of Palestinians and Israelis probably aren't that different. The governments, however....

Anyone the Palestinians elect are deemed terrorist groups.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

illrepute posted:

Looks like Obama might be on the verge of growing a spine.

He already thinks Netanyahu is a dumb rear end in a top hat he just can't say it out loud.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vintagepurple posted:

Just got a guy going "using children makes you a coward, Hamas loses all respect in my eyes." Does anyone have IDF human shield links saved?

You could show them this:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

and it's interesting to see as of 2012 it seemed like there was less and less support of Israel in the United States and among Liberal American Jewish people. It FEELS like the amount of support among Americans has only increased in the two years compared to last time, or is that just the propaganda machine working overtime?

It's because there's an active conflict and obviously the only thing the media is going to report is about how Israel should defend itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HortonNash posted:

Great, now I fully expect the IDF to announce:

"The Palestinians have weaponised lightning and brain aneurysms (to compliment their existing heart attack and "shock" weapons), such monsters! This is why we must wipe them from the face of the earth degrade Hamas's terror capabilities. Terror tunnels-ho!"

If they remade Death Note but set in Palestine that would be moderately interesting.

• Locked thread