Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not seeing any articles about this latest incident on Google yet. All I was able to find from the guardian was five sentences from an AP article.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/feedarticle/11503455

Check the Ha'aretz live blog

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.612036

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I'm pretty sure the US Congress tried to pass (or maybe did pass?) a bill declaring any boycott of Israel to be illegal.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

What do you guys reckon the next massacre will be called? They seem to be getting progressively further away from just calling it "operation cleanse the filth" .

Operation Justified Defence is my guess.

Operation moral imperative?

Well I made myself sad thinking about this all happening again in 2018 but I'm more worried that the news gets distracted by a terror attack at the superbowl or something sensational then by the time we think to look back at Gaza its an enormous israeli parking lot.

Operation Kill Every Living Thing (after giving a shoutout to the RUF of course)

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The EU countries governments seem to be willing to tow the US line for now. In particular, the UK and France both seem to be giving some cover to the Israeli government. I would guess that is partially due to US pressure, and partially due to the fact that both countries are becoming increasingly reliant on attaching themselves to the US to remain relevant players on the international stage. But there is nowhere near the level of institutional and public support for Israel in the EU that there is in the US. In waffling on Israel's assault on Gaza, these EU governments are pretty transparently ignoring the public will.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

They're going to try and make the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership dependent upon EU support against the BDS movement? Wow, that's ballsy as gently caress.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Did you see the piece the New Yorker did on AIPAC?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/friends-israel

They've been ridiculously ballsy lately. Outright sabotaging politicians and policies that they disagree with. I can just imagine Obama standing in front of one of their reps like "I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. YOU ARE A LOBBYIST," then sighing and doing what they say.

I saw that one. But threatening to add an amendment like that to already troubled talks on the TTIP pact would... well it certainly won't contribute to the success of talks on the pact. The EU certainly would be pissed.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Spangly A posted:

If the UK left the EU (we wont), the only nation present in the EU who did not vote to recognise the Palestinian State will be the Czech Republic.

There must be something in TTIP that Europe really, really wants because Israel is universally unpopular here.

Geeze, what did the Palestinians ever do to the Czechs?

As for what Europe really wants, right now it seems to be a lift on the US export ban on oil.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The US export ban on oil is a legacy of the 1970s oil shocks. It's still around because if it was lifted the US voters would see higher prices at the pump.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Pretty much. And elections aren't going to be allowed for Palestine due to Fatah's rampant unpopularity. Can't risk having them thrown out of power.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Xandu posted:

Maybe, wouldn't be surprised to see it in the West Bank instead, albeit with less bombing.

What the hell would they even bomb in the West Bank? Bombing there is even more pointless and counterproductive than bombing Gaza.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The dude's not dead yet. The Hospital says he is in serious but stable condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Considering what they did in response to three murders that had nothing to do with Palestine other than that being their home of reference, I do not look forward to the next month or so.

Jerusalem certainly seems to be on the brink of a potential explosion of violence worse than any of the incidents that have been piling up lately. I wonder if Jerusalem does explode if the Israelis will just reflexively react by going on another killing spree in Gaza.

• Locked thread