Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MeramJert posted:

Roast one or two eggplants for 45 minutes or so. Scrape out the flesh and put it into a bowl, then dice up 1/2 a tomato for each eggplant. Use your hands to mash the eggplant and the tomato together, breaking up some of the stringy fibers of the eggplant. Add salt to taste and set the bowl aside.

Your spice mixture is a teaspoon or so each of: cumin powder, chile powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Mix this up and keep it ready.

Next you'll need to cut up about 1/2 a medium onion per eggplant, a bunch of garlic, and as many fresh chiles as you want. I like slicing the onion into half rings, but chopping it or whatever is ok too.

Now heat up a bunch of oil in a skillet or wok until it's pretty hot. Add a healthy sprinkle of cumin seeds and fry them for a short time, then add the garlic and chiles. Fry this for a minute, then add the onions. Keep frying until the onions get soft and translucent, then add the spice mixture. keep stirring while you fry the spices for about a minute, then add the eggplant/tomato mixture. Fry everything together for a minute or two, then turn off the heat and stir in some chopped fresh cilantro.

I like to serve it with plain rice.

It's completely vegan as long as you use a vegetable oil for frying, and it tastes really good. You won't be missing meat at all.

Thanks for this, I have already made preparations to make it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MeramJert posted:

Did you try it?

Yeah the first time I don't know what was up with the spices but I used way too much. Maybe because I used smaller Japanese eggplants for that one, but the whole thing just tasted of spices. Tried a second time with larger eggplants and less spice and it came out amazing.

• Locked thread