Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
My wife has decided that she wanted to do a 10-day vegan cleanse/fast. As a wonderful husband, I stupidly agreed immediately to join her. We are both Texas meat lovers and have no experience with this thing. She's got a recipe book where they are trying to recreate all my favorite foods but with veggies. :|

To make matters worse, I hate beans. I know, I know, but it's true. I'm not picky about much eke, but that's a sticking point.

So, I'm three days in and can't see how I'm going to make it, I'm coming to GWS for help. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks so much! Agree on not making things that are supposed to be other dishes. It just makes me hate it for not being that other dish. Brown rice is not a pizza crust and cauliflower florets isn't cheese...

Forgot to mention that bread is out, too. :(

I've been eating lots of roasted and steamed veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas, green beans.

Definitely need to make some hummus, though I guess I'm looking at carrots to eat it with instead of pita chips.

After finishing day three I think I'm confident I'll "make it", but I need to be more thoughtful about t. Great ideas here, totally forgot about mushrooms, which I love and are a "meaty" vegetable. And avacados. I think I could live off those.

Well, I know what I'm getting at the store tomorrow!

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Bob_McBob posted:

What is she hoping to cleanse?

Hahaha.

She has felt convicted that she's too obsessed with food and too reliant on easy food that's not good for us. She also thinks I'm food-obsessed, although I think I'm just particular about how food is made and that it's not much harder to make good food than bad food, so why not make good food?

So, I think a large part of this is to force herself to eat stuff that she knows she doesn't like or wouldn't eat regularly, to prove to herself that she can and that some of it might actually be good. I'm coming to realize its more psychological than physical, although she's happy with any physical benefits that it might bring.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
It's the end of the 10 days!!!

So, I survived and actually enjoyed some meals, which I was not expecting. I'm actually really glad that I did this.

Some of my favorite meals were:
Grilled portabellas
Avacado, roasted corn and tomato salad
Roasted poblano pepper stuffed with veggie mexican rice

These are in addition to the stuff that I already loved, like roasted cauliflower, steamed broccoli, hummus, curry, and roasted potatoes.

That said, tomorrow will start with eggs and sausage, lunch with a burger and dinner will be sausage and pepper pizza. Tomorrow will be a good day.

• Locked thread