Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I actually went vegetarian a month or so ago and have some decent recipes to share. This is one I've made twice so far and it came out great both times:

Vegan Gumbo

1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Oil - Yes, this roux is heavy as hell.
2 lbs fresh okra
16 oz corn
16 oz purple Hull Peas
16 oz mirepoix
~2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbsp dry parsley (or several sprigs fresh)
1 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (I use Slap Yo Mama, but you can use something a bit more mild)
4 quarts of vegetable broth (You can use a bit less and add water to get the consistency right)
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp File powder

For the vegetables, I strongly recommend using fresh if possible, though it's critical to use fresh okra. Frozen okra has a terrible stringy texture and just falls apart after a bit of boiling. You can also add additional veggies of your choice, but stick with stuff that has a fairly neutral flavor like kale or turnips.

Step 1: Make the roux. You'll find a ton of tips on how to make roux properly on the internet and I'm from New York so I'm sure you'll be able to work it out on your own. Just stay at the stove and constantly stir the oil and flour at a medium high heat until red. It should be about as dark as hot chocolate. Make sure you have all your veggies prepped ahead of time.

Step 2: Add the mirepoix and parsley to your roux. Mix it around real good until translucent (really, you can't tell when they're covered in roux so I just guesstimate 2-3 minutes). Then, add the garlic and the okra and mix until everything is covered.

Step 3: Add about 3/4 of the broth, stir to make sure the roux at the bottom isn't stuck to the pot, then bring to a boil.

Step 4: Add the rest of the ingredients and the rest of the broth. If this is looking too "chunky" feel free to add some more water or broth to thin it to your preferred consistency. Bring back up to a boil and then bring down to a simmer for about an hour. Add additional salt to taste; serve with rice of your choice.

If you're in Texas you should be able to get most of these ingredients fresh fairly easily. It depends on where in the state you are.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread