Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

His dieting stuff does have some merit, but it's not anything different than what a lot of other people are saying. The thing is, most people don't have the willpower to stick to something so strict by themselves. When they hire a guy like Dolce, he takes over their diet entirely. He manages everything going in the fighter, which makes it pretty easy to ensure they're eating well and eating things that will aid in a cut. I used to work with a pro-natural body builder whose diet and cutting regimen was almost exactly what Dolce's was, but he had the willpower and drive to manage it himself with his wife which I'm guessing a lot of fighters don't.

Most of it is pretty straightforward, too. I helped a friend hit a weight loss goal just by having her follow three weeks til shredded pretty loosely. The advice amounts to "plan your meals, don't eat poo poo, think twice about what you eat, and don't eat a retarded amount of food." I think that where he earns his keep is by taking over every dietary choice for the fighter so that they can't gently caress it up themselves by going to a carnival and eating a whole pizza. I suppose if a fighter is worried about missing weight, and he keeps them from doing that, he has essentially saved 20% (20%?) of their purse. If a fighter is worried about a horrible water weight cut that leaves them drained and at a greater risk of a loss, he's protecting 50% of their purse money. In either case it's superstitious reasoning, though.

Some of the "research" that he posts on his website is just the worst kind of naturalistic fallacy-driven bullshit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
We had Matt Hughes. We've got Brown Pride. When are we gonna get a real kill whitey kind of brotha in the octagon ?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hmmm. Eat good foods and stay away from bad ones. Well then, please give me your money. Thanks.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Quinton no, where did you find a jar of nutella that big

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Rampage shoving his hand in a jar of nutella like Winnie the Pooh is a hilarious mental image.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

outy posted:

UFC Embedded Episode 1 is up

http://youtu.be/_44lOzgNMm8

Oh Ronda.
Swoon.

Poll on best part of this:

A) Machida making breakfast in his fight shorts
B) Alexis' stepson's saxophone solo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rampage is the exact sort of guy to take the light snacks that Dolce suggests that you can have once per day and turn them into the only thing that he eats.

If I remember right, this was during his Glover camp:

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Look, he said a 'light snack'. Have you ever held funnel cake? It's light as hell!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I read one of his books and it was awful.
No real "here's what you need to eat and why" just a "here's what I like to eat".

A good nutrition book should explain not only what to eat but how much to eat and how to calculate everything.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Grilled chicken breasts can be tasty and filling as well as very nutritioQuinton where did you find a live rooster, quinton no it has a family

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Mike Dolce just gives guys drugs

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

TheReverend posted:

No real "here's what you need to eat and why" just a "here's what I like to eat".

A good nutrition book should explain not only what to eat but how much to eat and how to calculate everything.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Feed-Zone-Cookbook-Flavorful/dp/1934030767

I realize you weren't exactly looking for recommendations, but I like this enough to suggest it unprompted. It is not designed for cutting weight (well, not really; it does discuss cyclists getting down to racing weight), but Allen Lim is a good dude and everything in there tastes good.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Anthony Johnson's diet of 10 Stacker 2 pills a day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChampRamp posted:

Mike Dolce just gives guys drugs

See, I've been wondering that lately between his crazy powerlifter background and his close ties with "trt for everyone" Sonnen and Rogan. I feel like some of the weight cuts and performance increases that he's been associated with can't be explained with coconut oil and egg white omelettes.

Though I'm also straining to think of any fighter he's been promoted as embedding with who has shown a meaningful performance increase. Nik Lenz, despite the hype train, still strikes me as mediocre. Not sure when he started working with Hendricks and to what extent he can take credit for his successes.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

His dieting stuff does have some merit, but it's not anything different than what a lot of other people are saying. The thing is, most people don't have the willpower to stick to something so strict by themselves. When they hire a guy like Dolce, he takes over their diet entirely. He manages everything going in the fighter, which makes it pretty easy to ensure they're eating well and eating things that will aid in a cut. I used to work with a pro-natural body builder whose diet and cutting regimen was almost exactly what Dolce's was, but he had the willpower and drive to manage it himself with his wife which I'm guessing a lot of fighters don't.

Not just that but dolce takes care of the food prep (if not personally than through a proxy). its so much easier to stick to it when the food is made and ready for you

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Plus he's such an enthusiastic guy

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'll check it out. Right now the one I like is Nate Miyaki's "Samurai Diet". It has a lot of stuff I don't agree with (like that no one should eat gluten) but he at least gives his reasons and explains.

Ok enough derail.

Weidman gonna win it. For real.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheReverend posted:

If he gave enough of the specifics away in his book so that anyone could easily adapt it to their lives hed be putting himself out of business

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

david carmichael posted:

If he gave enough of the specifics away in his book so that anyone could easily adapt it to their lives hed be putting himself out of business

I think at the elite level you'll likely need a customized individual approach. That's where his big fee comes into play.

For the average amateur mma doofus/ fitness enthusiast, why have a book at all?

I'll say one nice thing about his book though, the 'supafly chicken salad' is pretty tasty.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There's a lot of research about "decision fatigue", where the more difficult decisions you have to make during a given day the more likely you are to make the "wrong" choices. During a training camp fighters are already under a ton of stress and having to do a lot of difficult things in any given day, hiring someone to take everything related to food completely out of your hands so you don't have to think about it is probably a good investment. Dolce just happens to be a guy who's made it his niche.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

fatherdog posted:

There's a lot of research about "decision fatigue", where the more difficult decisions you have to make during a given day the more likely you are to make the "wrong" choices. During a training camp fighters are already under a ton of stress and having to do a lot of difficult things in any given day, hiring someone to take everything related to food completely out of your hands so you don't have to think about it is probably a good investment. Dolce just happens to be a guy who's made it his niche.

Yeah, this is true. I also saw one study about willpower, where it was shown that you can quickly exhaust your willpower on one matter, and you won't have anything left for someone else, even if it's a completely different part of your life.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

El Roncho posted:

We had Matt Hughes. We've got Brown Pride. When are we gonna get a real kill whitey kind of brotha in the octagon ?

If he doesn't gas terribly, Kevin Casey has a chance of beating up a dude named both "Bubba" and "Bush" at the same time. That's close, right?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

haha

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just started thinking about the Rousey-Davis matchup in detail: Davis is the highest-ranked grappler that Rousey has ever fought in MMA (Kaufman is and was a brown belt, blue belt Carmouche took her back), she's tough, and loves to trade leather. She's not likely to get folded with a knee the way McMann did, and Rousey (who doesn't react well to being punched) is probably not going to want to trade with her.

Is Davis perhaps more of a live long-shot underdog than the odds are giving her credit for?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Knee injury scratches Thiago Alves from UFC Fight Night 49, Brandon Thatch now faces Jordan Mein

other than the obvious "lol water is wet" in reference to Alves...

:getin:, BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT DIE IN THIS FIGHT

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
7 fights in 5 years... I feel bad for the guy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

Just started thinking about the Rousey-Davis matchup in detail: Davis is the highest-ranked grappler that Rousey has ever fought in MMA (Kaufman is and was a brown belt, blue belt Carmouche took her back), she's tough, and loves to trade leather. She's not likely to get folded with a knee the way McMann did, and Rousey (who doesn't react well to being punched) is probably not going to want to trade with her.

Is Davis perhaps more of a live long-shot underdog than the odds are giving her credit for?

Unless Davis has a Matt Brown ability to fight through a liver shot, I don't think there's evidence in saying Alexis wouldn't get dropped like McMann.

I like her and I like her tiny mascot buddy, Chompers, but I still think Ronda's probably got a 80% chance of winning.

Also, why would you not count Tate amongst the grapplers Rousey has faced?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david carmichael posted:

Dolce claims in one of his books that he had the 'revolutionary' idea to eat a lot of good, healthy, nutritious food while he was training intensely in powerlifting, wrestling, and MMA. In doing so, he was able to easily cut to whatever weight class without any kind of fatigue or performance loss, as opposed to his teammates that were starving themselves.

Here's my grocery list from last month:

That'll be $35, please.

But I agree with fatherdog, his niche is taking the food decision making off the table so it's less stress and worry for the fighter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Unless Davis has a Matt Brown ability to fight through a liver shot, I don't think there's evidence in saying Alexis wouldn't get dropped like McMann.

I like her and I like her tiny mascot buddy, Chompers, but I still think Ronda's probably got a 80% chance of winning.

Also, why would you not count Tate amongst the grapplers Rousey has faced?

Didn't count Tate because I didn't see it listed anywhere that she actually has any belt in BJJ. With a bit more effort I found that she has a purple belt. A far cry (on paper) from Davis's black belt.

I'm not sure if Davis can be compared to Matt Brown, but McMann isn't exactly Matt Brown either, and Rousey isn't Erik Silva. Davis has certainly better demonstrated that she can keep her poo poo together while taking shots, which I've never seen McMann do (though I haven't seen all of her fights).

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

UFC Fight Night 49, Brandon Thatch now faces Jordan Mein

:getin:, BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT DIE IN THIS FIGHT

Speaking of someone dying in a fight on that card, how come nobody told me Mike Pyle is fighting Demian Maia that night too? That's a very dangerous fight for Maia if he gasses again cause Mike Pyle becomes a mother loving animal the longer a fight goes on.

I salute UFC making these Benson Henderson free TV cards always stacked.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Agent Tough Juice posted:

7 fights in 5 years... I feel bad for the guy.

Someday Rogan will unmask him in a post-fight interview to reveal Dominick Cruz

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

Speaking of someone dying in a fight on that card, how come nobody told me Mike Pyle is fighting Demian Maia that night too? That's a very dangerous fight for Maia if he gasses again cause Mike Pyle becomes a mother loving animal the longer a fight goes on.

I salute UFC making these Benson Henderson free TV cards always stacked.

I took a gander at that Fight Night card when the Thatch replacement came in and yeah, it's surprisingly an above average card.

Somehow I missed the Maia announcement too, or maybe it's just a symptom of all this got dang MMA we can't even retain cool rear end matchups like that one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-Atom- posted:

I took a gander at that Fight Night card when the Thatch replacement came in and yeah, it's surprisingly an above average card.

Somehow I missed the Maia announcement too, or maybe it's just a symptom of all this got dang MMA we can't even retain cool rear end matchups like that one.

I think it was just announced today.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I had no idea thatch was fighting alves and am now sad it's not going to happen.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Didn't count Tate because I didn't see it listed anywhere that she actually has any belt in BJJ. With a bit more effort I found that she has a purple belt. A far cry (on paper) from Davis's black belt.

Belt rankings are at best a vague guide to grappling ability for MMA, cf. Pettis-Henderson II. Tate is a very good grappler with about as many submission wins over credible competition as Davis.

edit: also I had to look for this information but Genki Sudo was a brown belt the whole time he was competing in MMA.

quote:

I'm not sure if Davis can be compared to Matt Brown, but McMann isn't exactly Matt Brown either, and Rousey isn't Erik Silva. Davis has certainly better demonstrated that she can keep her poo poo together while taking shots, which I've never seen McMann do (though I haven't seen all of her fights).

Getting dropped by a liver shot has nothing to do with toughness. Donald Cerrone ate over 200 significant strikes in three rounds with Nate Diaz, but he was still fighting back effectively to the final bell. He's a very, very tough fighter. Anthony Pettis stopped him inside one round by landing a series of body kicks to the right side of his body--the first few killed his offensive output, and the last one landed flush to the liver and turned off his body just like flipping a switch. If Davis is unfortunate enough to wind up in the same position McMann was in, she'll drop and probably be finished in the same way. The possibility should definitely worry Davis, since if Rousey decides she wants to do that rather than going for throws, I'm not sure Davis has any tools to stop her.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2014

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I had no idea thatch was fighting alves and am now sad it's not going to happen.

Thatch vs Mein probably owns even more

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

He wasn't. Thatch is the replacement for Alves.

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
Aldo injured lol

Just reported on UFC Tonight. Nothing else has been reported yet on what they are gonna do

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

EricHall posted:

Aldo injured lol

Just reported on UFC Tonight. Nothing else has been reported yet on what they are gonna do

Son of a BITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
That loving sucks

• Locked thread