Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only way Barão stands a chance is if he can start moving a lot more and keep TJ at a distance. I don't think he's gonna start teeping because of the takedown threat, but any kind of movement at all is gonna cut TJs offense down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

NippleFloss posted:

Barao will probably look better in a rematch provided he can avoid getting his brain scrambled in the first round again. He got knocked senseless early and TJ never have him a chance to recover.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't remember a large portion of the fight.

You shouldn't get a redo just because you got hit in the first round

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

BlindSite posted:

First of all he didn't "revert to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter" he reverted to wrestling when he was gassing and felt slow because he was legitimately sick http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/15/5212200/ufc-on-fox-9-results-chad-mendes-slowed-by-sickness-in-victory-over-nik-lentz. He used to stand flat footed in front of people and throw the most rudimentary one two combinations and leg kicks that lacked serious hip torque. At the very least against guida he showed that he can move his head off the centre line and throw three and four punch combinations now, he's also gotten a lot better at not backing straight out in exchanges and instead moving off his opponents centre. Those things alone represent a big jump in ability.

I didn't run out of points in this argument. I got sick. My post torque is significantly below normal, which you can see when in posts where I own people with regdates after 2010

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
IMO Barao will probably do better, because his coach is pretty good, and can address problems from the first match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Barao will probably do better if he doesn't cut stupid amounts of weight. That won't be enough to completely bridge the gap, but I can buy him having a better chance in a rematch if he cuts a reasonable amount.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Barao will do better if he completely rebuilds his striking game from the ground up over the course of a few months, so that he doesnt get outclassed in every area again

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno I think it's overstated how much of a gap there is. Like if Barão changed up to more of a style of hitting from distance he would win rounds instead of getting blown out the water. I'm not sure it's enough to win but I think he's young enough that he could still change up his game.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
it probably is true that barao would have to improve as much as dillashaw did to beat barao to beat dillashaw

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

1st AD posted:

I dunno I think it's overstated how much of a gap there is. Like if Barão changed up to more of a style of hitting from distance he would win rounds instead of getting blown out the water. I'm not sure it's enough to win but I think he's young enough that he could still change up his game.

His style usually is based on hitting from distance though. he sticks a good jab and leg kicks, occasionally mixes in a spinning back kick, all from outside the gap, and any time someone threatens to come in the gap and trade he just plants his feet flat and starts winging big goofy punches. TJs footwork and angles were good enough that he could get in and out and be basically better than Barao everywhere

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

it probably is true that barao would have to improve as much as dillashaw did to beat barao to beat dillashaw

exactly. so it's not impossible but Dillashaw improving that much and putting on that performance was pretty unprecedented

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

I didn't run out of points in this argument. I got sick. My post torque is significantly below normal, which you can see when in posts where I own people with regdates after 2010

i think it is downright unreasonable to suggest that chad is negligibly better than 2.5 years ago. if you're arguing that other people deserve the title shot more, i'd agree. but not being interested at all is just setting yourself up to lose a loving monocle or something in the rematch.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

manyak posted:

His style usually is based on hitting from distance though. he sticks a good jab and leg kicks, occasionally mixes in a spinning back kick, all from outside the gap, and any time someone threatens to come in the gap and trade he just plants his feet flat and starts winging big goofy punches. TJs footwork and angles were good enough that he could get in and out and be basically better than Barao everywhere

Yeah its the brawling inside the gap that he needs to fix because iirc it was problematic in the McDonald fight and while he does attack from outside he doesn't seem to have footwork to get out of trouble against a guy coming his way. In the past he'd just clock dudes coming in but TJ is probably never gonna get hit like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

Yeah its the brawling inside the gap that he needs to fix because iirc it was problematic in the McDonald fight and while he does attack from outside he doesn't seem to have footwork to get out of trouble against a guy coming his way. In the past he'd just clock dudes coming in but TJ is probably never gonna get hit like that.

i wish cub would drop to 135 and fight tj.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wish Cruz would come back and prove who is the best dancer at 135

<alpha-male-dougie.gif>

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You shouldn't get an instant rematch if you got hosed up for 5 rounds and then knocked out, regardless of how good of a champion you were.

I want TJ to win for that reason more than any other.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If Cruz were healthy he would've gotten a shot I think, but 135 is kind of hosed right now since its full of guys that already lost to Barão and Faber and the only guys who have a good claim for a title shot are a cripple and the guy that owns TJ's camp and probably the house he lives in.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

You shouldn't get a redo just because you got hit in the first round

I didn't say he deserved it, just that he'd probably do better.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Gomi has an opponent: Myles Jury

I like that fight but I would like it more if Gomi were younger.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aurain posted:

You shouldn't get an instant rematch if you got hosed up for 5 rounds and then knocked out, regardless of how good of a champion you were.

I want TJ to win for that reason more than any other.

Why not? Barao was a dominant fighter and the only other challenger is a guy no one cares about and TJ should have his win over him anyway. He's the #1 ranked guy and they might sell a few more PPVs off the rematch.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Why not? Barao was a dominant fighter and the only other challenger is a guy no one cares about and TJ should have his win over him anyway. He's the #1 ranked guy and they might sell a few more PPVs off the rematch.

Because

Aurain posted:

he got hosed up for 5 rounds and then knocked out

That was about as decisive a beating as you can get. It wasn't a Frankie Edgar incredibly close fight situation, and it wasn't an Anderson Silva "was the knockout a fluke? let's find out woops nope, nope it wasnt" situation. It was a complete 5 round domination and then a knockout to cap it off. There's really nothing that TJ needs to prove immediately. I'd love to see them fight down the line, but I'm sick of immediate rematches.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Lol the only ppv that did worse than this one is Mighty Mouse vs Dagestan

Nobody cares about bantamweights

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bulging Nipples posted:

Because

That was about as decisive a beating as you can get. It wasn't a Frankie Edgar incredibly close fight situation, and it wasn't an Anderson Silva "was the knockout a fluke? let's find out woops nope, nope it wasnt" situation. It was a complete 5 round domination and then a knockout to cap it off. There's really nothing that TJ needs to prove immediately. I'd love to see them fight down the line, but I'm sick of immediate rematches.

Anderson Silva was beaten for a round and a half and knocked out, the fluke was added in by people who for good reason couldn't believe Anderson got beaten that way. Tyson got a rematch with Holyfield, Couture got his heavyweight title fight with Sylvia coming off a KO loss in lower weight class (and a LHW title match after a loss for the heavyweight title) and plenty of other fights that were made because there wasn't another great opponent and the fight would draw better. UFC picked the higher ranked and slightly more marketable fighter, it's not some travesty. Is Barao's problem that he survived four rounds? If you lose in a round and a half does your great career then become a factor?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not devastated about seeing a rematch of a good fight, don't get me wrong, and I fully understand that the UFC is a for profit organisation first and foremost, but I like fight leagues to maintain the illusion of being a fight league where if the #1 contender wins the belt convincingly, the former #2 contender gets the next shot.

It's not going to happen like that any time soon, but I like to think that's how it should be. I felt the same way about Anderson vs Weidman 2 as I do about TJ vs Barao 2, for what it's worth. There were no questions left that needed answers by their first fights.

The past couple of UFC Embedded episodes have been quite hard to hear for me, the long winding speech of Ronda's was really difficult to make out.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Aurain posted:

The past couple of UFC Embedded episodes have been quite hard to hear for me, the long winding speech of Ronda's was really difficult to make out.

Might be problems on your end there boss, i had no trouble at all

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

Lol the only ppv that did worse than this one is Mighty Mouse vs Dagestan

Kevin Iole bumped up UFC 174's numbers from 100k to 125k, meaning it is now only the 2nd worst MMA PPV of the year. we did it, congratulations

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Kevin Iole bumped up UFC 174's numbers from 100k to 125k, meaning it is now only the 2nd worst MMA PPV of the year. we did it, congratulations

Mighty Mouse is calling Joe Silva trying to volunteer and save 176 and doesn't understand why he won't return his calls.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr Baby Jay Penn moves to present new evidence to the court:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrb2FWJH6k

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The idea of counting Barao out of ANY fight is absurd. Yes, TJ put on one of the most impressive performances in UFC history against him, but that doesn't take away at all from how good Barao is. And now Barao gets to go into the fight knowing what TJ can really do.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Haven't run out of your never ending ability to poo poo post instead of actually having something to say about a fighter.

cams posted:

The idea of counting Barao out of ANY fight is absurd. Yes, TJ put on one of the most impressive performances in UFC history against him, but that doesn't take away at all from how good Barao is. And now Barao gets to go into the fight knowing what TJ can really do.

It would be absurd if he had any answer for anything at all Dillashaw did in the first fight.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Is Barao's problem that he survived four rounds? If you lose in a round and a half does your great career then become a factor?

Barao's problem is that he had absolutely nothing for TJ for that entire fight. What did he do to deserve an immediate rematch? It wasn't even close. I'm not saying down the line Barao won't come back better and maybe even beat him, but I didn't see anything that night that would warrant an immediate rematch. But like I said, I'm not a huge fan of immediate rematches. I didn't like all the Frankie Edgar rematches, but I could kind of understand them because the fights were so close. I didn't like the Anderson immediate rematch, but I could understand it because Anderson's title run was a really special accomplishment. Barao was a great champ but his run wasn't close to Anderson's, and that match certainly wasn't close.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

MassRafTer posted:

Mighty Mouse is calling Joe Silva trying to volunteer and save 176 and doesn't understand why he won't return his calls.

Aw. This made me feel sad.

I was at the Verizon Center when Mighty Mouse fought Cruz in 2011 and I feel increasingly privileged to have seen two champs in one bout given that Cruz died immediately after that happened.

It's like how I'm forever attached to Houston Alexander except this time I lucked out and get to root for Johnson.

(That card also featured light heavyweight Anthony Johnson demolishing lightweight Charlie Brenneman and tallweight Stefan Struve vs. shortweight Pat Barry. It was a fun event)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I've heard several journalists say that Barao was sick for the first fight so I'm just going to latch onto that idea and watch a TAM get killed in Sacramento

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Aurain posted:

Yes. Unless it's a deal like Anderson Silva when you know the PPV would sell a gently caress load.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

-Atom- posted:

I've heard several journalists say that Barao was sick for the first fight so I'm just going to latch onto that idea and watch a TAM get killed in Sacramento

He had a really bad weight cut.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

i think it is downright unreasonable to suggest that chad is negligibly better than 2.5 years ago. if you're arguing that other people deserve the title shot more, i'd agree. but not being interested at all is just setting yourself up to lose a loving monocle or something in the rematch.

He may have improved, but thats all based on 2 fights against guys who didnt really even belong in the ufc, a fight where he relied on his wrestling like he always used to and didnt show a great gas tank, and then a fight where he finished Clay Guida, who is an inferior wrestler to him and is legendarily weak on offense. People look at three TKOs and think hes improved, but the guys he decisioned before that were Koch, Swanson, Vasquez, Omgiawa and Yahya, who are all bad asses, and he wouldn't KO them now, except maybe Koch whose chin is cracking

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Oh unless he was sick , exactly sick enough to make him fight like he always did against tough fighters who knew how to grapple

-Atom- posted:

This illness where fighters perform like they always do is really going around

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 3, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

This illness where fighters perform like they always do is really going around

Think we can get a Kickstarter to make a vaccine and give Clay Guida a shot or two?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MassRafTer posted:

He had a really bad weight cut.

He only has himself to blame given the insane amount of weight he cuts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Trast posted:

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Trast posted:

word, I wasn't trying to take anything away from TJ but it really isn't up for debate that the Barao we saw wasn't what we're used to. whether or not that factors into how you view a potential second outing is the only reason why I mentioned it

• Locked thread