Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
That card shouldn't be a PPV if Aldo ain't on it. The best replacement they could hope for Mendes would be either Swanson or a quicker turnaround for the winner of Edgar/Penn, but that still ain't good enough for $60. Mousasi/Jacare is a solid fight but nobody is gonna purchase that.

I wonder if they could quickly put together Barao/Dillashaw II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
If they move Lawler vs. Brown I'm going to be loving livid.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

If they move Lawler vs. Brown I'm going to be loving livid.

Nah that wouldn't help out the PPV as much as it would hurt that FOX card.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol glad I waited to buy tickets to that.

Also, comparing belts in MMA is dumb because they're not good indicators of grappling skill in MMA. Most likely Ronda will wade in and bully Davis in the clinch, maybe stop her with liver shots. I base this on her overall strength and athleticism and ability to control someone like McMann who is a good and strong wrestler.

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
Apparently they are going to try to do Dillashaw/Barao 2 at the end of August, so that fight will most likely not replace Aldo/Mendes

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

LobsterMobster posted:

I like her and I like her tiny mascot buddy, Chompers, but I still think Ronda's probably got a 80% chance of winning.
Betting sites are giving Ronda 95% odds of winning, if you think it's only 80% you should definitely.... bet on MMA :unsmigghh:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ogantai posted:

Betting sites are giving Ronda 95% odds of winning, if you think it's only 80% you should definitely.... bet on MMA :unsmigghh:

I'm dumb but I'm not that loving stupid.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

EricHall posted:

Apparently they are going to try to do Dillashaw/Barao 2 at the end of August, so that fight will most likely not replace Aldo/Mendes

In Sacramento no less! I'm pretty jazzed up for two UFC cards in Nor-Cal within the next few months.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
TAM will be denied their chance for a second shirtless celebration shot.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
How would everyone feel if barao completely whoops tj in the rematch

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
can people just stop getting injured

my girlfriend planned a surprise romantic trip to new hampshire this weekend without even thinking if two guys would be hugging eachother one night, does anyone know where to watch ufc there

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

How would everyone feel if barao completely whoops tj in the rematch

Not to be a smart rear end but there's 100% chance that won't happen (barring Dillashaw getting caught with a "lucky shot"). Dillashaw is only going to tighten up his defense moving in and out which was his only worry in the first fight, his movement and exiting from exchanges was so on loving point I don't think I've ever seen a better performance from anyone against a top tier opponent.

Barao's only avenue to winning would be to get the fight to the ground where he'd be able to exert control from the top. The chances of that happening against a guy who wrestles Mendes, Benevedez and Faber daily are somewhere between slim and loving none though.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
oh no we dont get to see jose aldo fight a guy who stands absolutely no chance and doesnt deserve to fight him

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

oh no we dont get to see jose aldo fight a guy who stands absolutely no chance and doesnt deserve to fight him

He stands a chance more than anyone else in the division other than Cub Swanson at this point. If he's improved his striking over the past two years he has more options than he did have which was at the time, get beat up on the feet and then get stuffed shooting from the outside. He's looked good enough to at least be more of a threat than he was before.

I wouldn't expect a Dillashaw like performance but to write him off is pretty loving nuts.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

But it isn't nuts to write off barao?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Barao's only avenue to winning would be to get the fight to the ground where he'd be able to exert control from the top. The chances of that happening against a guy who wrestles Mendes, Benevedez and Faber daily are somewhere between slim and loving none though.

If Barao improves his jab and uses teeps more to keep Dillashaw more at kicking distance, he can do some serious damage to his legs, which is going to take away the thing that made Dillashaw most effective in the first fight. I'd still heavily favor Dillashaw, but there are things Barao can do to make the striking less lopsided.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

John Romero posted:

can people just stop getting injured

my girlfriend planned a surprise romantic trip to new hampshire this weekend without even thinking if two guys would be hugging eachother one night, does anyone know where to watch ufc there

This used to be a staple of UFC GDT OPs: http://bars.ufc.com/

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I dunno if Canada just has a disproportionate number of MMA fans per capita (which honestly I'm starting to think it does), but I get confused when people ask "hey where do I watch fights in ______" because in any Canadian city I've lived in the answer is "at just about any goddamn bar".

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

BlindSite posted:

He stands a chance more than anyone else in the division other than Cub Swanson at this point. If he's improved his striking over the past two years he has more options than he did have which was at the time, get beat up on the feet and then get stuffed shooting from the outside. He's looked good enough to at least be more of a threat than he was before.

I wouldn't expect a Dillashaw like performance but to write him off is pretty loving nuts.

How has he improved his striking? KOing lovely fighters then reverting to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter is basically meaningless in terms of improving enough from total death to surviving against aldo. On top of that even wrestling, his main poo poo, he didn't show a great gas tank. Hes as hosed against aldo as he ever was. I dont see any meaning in KOing Cody Mckenzie

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

But Chad Mendes has great striking now, he knocked out Cody McKenzie!!!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Now that he knows how to lunge in from out of range with a wide right to the body, aldo is screwed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

How has he improved his striking? KOing lovely fighters then reverting to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter is basically meaningless in terms of improving enough from total death to surviving against aldo. On top of that even wrestling, his main poo poo, he didn't show a great gas tank. Hes as hosed against aldo as he ever was. I dont see any meaning in KOing Cody Mckenzie

Consider that he only T/KO'd two of his first 11 opponents before he fought Aldo (with only one finish in his six zuffa fights), and he has T/KO'd four of the five he has fought since then. I think that's good evidence of improved striking.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He beat the poo poo out of clay guida which was funny

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
So, the UFC scheduled another women's strawweight bout, and a goon wrote about it here: http://womensmma.com/ufc/ufc-announces-second-strawweight-match-signs-joanna-jedrzejczyk/ Give it a read, support goon MMA journalism!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

N:

swarthyvillain on twitter posted:

distraught american soccer fans: come to MMA, where sullen, charmless americans routinely lay on top of/obliterate people from other nations

V: :lol:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Consider that he only T/KO'd two of his first 11 opponents before he fought Aldo (with only one finish in his six zuffa fights), and he has T/KO'd four of the five he has fought since then. I think that's good evidence of improved striking.

Cool hes improved to the point where he doesnt have to lay on part time fighters anymore. Thats going to serve him well against Aldo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

If Barao improves his jab and uses teeps more to keep Dillashaw more at kicking distance, he can do some serious damage to his legs, which is going to take away the thing that made Dillashaw most effective in the first fight. I'd still heavily favor Dillashaw, but there are things Barao can do to make the striking less lopsided.

Barao has always had one of the best jabs in MMA, if he changes levels with it more and changes his consistent pattern of moving to left toward his opponents weaker side like GSP does - by throwing a covering jab i.e. rolling his shoulder and tucking behind it to negate a cross counter and can start to cut dillashaw's movement off and allow himself to throw power shots. He didn't do this at all in their first fight and Dillashaw was able to move around his jab with counters. Aldo and Dillashaw both have that issue where they like to control from the outside and don't have to move too much on their way in and out. They both like to pick their shots outside and hit with power when someone comes inside trying to rush past their jab or leg kicks.

I don't think Barao is going to start using more teeps, he might I agree, but there's a good chance that he'll get put down if he tries to.

Barao also tends to throw caution to the wind in exchanges and throw from his hips with his chin out rather than staying tight. That's not something that gets fixed in camp.

I'm not saying Barao won't be able to do anything, but I don't see him being able to adjust his style, that he's had for the last decade enough to negate the massive strides Dillashaw made. He'd need to have a lot more movement in his game, and a lot better footwork to cut off Dillashaw's movement. TJ came out at the right angles the whole fight so Barao had to re-set in order to hit him, mainly turn his whole body while getting hit and he kept moving. I don't see that in his game or his gas tank to completely change who he is as a fighter in a few months.

Bundt Cake posted:

First of all he didn't "revert to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter" he reverted to wrestling when he was gassing and felt slow because he was legitimately sick http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/15/5212200/ufc-on-fox-9-results-chad-mendes-slowed-by-sickness-in-victory-over-nik-lentz. He used to stand flat footed in front of people and throw the most rudimentary one two combinations and leg kicks that lacked serious hip torque. At the very least against guida he showed that he can move his head off the centre line and throw three and four punch combinations now, he's also gotten a lot better at not backing straight out in exchanges and instead moving off his opponents centre. Those things alone represent a big jump in ability.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The new embedded was good as they all are.

- Ronda is pretty cool and a lot of the poo poo she said was very true
- The wide man is a total frat boy it seems
- Machida "When I'm away from my family...I'm...I'm happy."

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

I don't disagree with you that the rematch won't go much differently than the first, but I'm also perplexed why you aren't bothered that it's Aldo who's injured and out of the fight instead of Mendes in this scenario. Losing a chance to watch Aldo fight, even a rematch, sucks.

If we're lucky it will only be a short injury like Weidman going from May to July, but if it's long then that's Aldo going another full year between title defenses (Mendes 2012 -> Edgar 2013, Lamas 2014 -> ? 2015). That stinks.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 3, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Aldo should just go up to 155.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I just realized that if BJ beats Frankie, they're probably going to line up an Aldo fight for him. If BJ has anything left in the tank at this point (and if he beats Edgar he clearly does) that sounds really fun.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Dangersim posted:

I just realized that if BJ beats Frankie

I stopped here

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
BJ no can brah

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe BJ can get a gift decision somehow. It's not like Frankie hasn't been hosed before in a 5 rounder.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think he will or am I rooting for him. I'm from New Jersey.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

In other news

http://instagram.com/p/p9L2_rIWov/

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

Maybe BJ can get a gift decision somehow. It's not like Frankie hasn't been hosed before in a 5 rounder.

If BJ can stop the takedowns he has a decent shot at a decision, like he did in the first match, but I think Edgar will always beat him to the punch and that's what's gonna make it difficult for him.

This is assuming BJ hasn't slowed down much in the last two years, which he has, gently caress.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

BJ is probably going to get decisioned again, realistically.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I hope BJ wins.

I am setting myself up for endless disappointment. But I hope he wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Barao will probably look better in a rematch provided he can avoid getting his brain scrambled in the first round again. He got knocked senseless early and TJ never have him a chance to recover.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't remember a large portion of the fight.

• Locked thread