Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm Coleman screaming NO loving WAY but I know he will be back. I just hate to see him go because I enjoyed him with that group of guys and think he is valuable enough that he will be snatched up before they can bring him back.

Any way you look at it, Chael is rich for life, retired, and about to be a dad. I think he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Seriously, is that Luke Rockhold?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Can Coenen get to 135? That fight would actually be compelling.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I know Sonnen will be back because he got popped for a fight Dana and friends said they signed him up for without asking. If Chael wasn't such a company man, he would have gone, "Oh gently caress I'm juicing right now, I can't take that fight!" Instead he knew to go with it and if he got caught it would all be fine in a year or twos time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shut up shut up shut up everyone shut up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

About the Weedman fight all I want to know is this, who bothered who the most? How much was the most bothered?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I think this is where Boestch returns to form and barbarian tosses a motherfucker.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

raingwc posted:

I keep dreaming of this aswell, remembering Boetch first appearance when he did indeed toss a bitch like a toy

Boestch might not always be fireworks, but when he turns it on it's a thing to see.

Like when he murdering Okami after getting trounced for two and a half rounds with, like, from all the dimensions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm just saying if he thinks changing his boxing style after X weeks is bad, why isn't changing it after X years even worse? But yeah I agree the best course of action here isn't to jump on the train right before it hits a curve doing 300.

I remember my fencing coach, who had a long rear end pedigree of about every kind of fencing champion outside of an Olympian (plenty of Junior Olympic Golds though) that certain athletes had characteristics that a lifetime of training just would not change, and that after a certain point it was better to embrace the person's kinks and have them enter matches in a good mindset and not stressed. I think this all came out of a conversation about why he would be a grueling taskmaster with some athletes, and others he preferred to let relax going into competition.

Maybe it's that train of thought in action? Penn was not going to drastically change for one fight at the end of the career so better to work with what he had?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 9, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Chael vs. Jones coaching reminds me way too much of some things I've personally encountered and I never really thought too much about it until comparing the two.

Yeah, I guess you could call it pragmatic coaching. My fencing coach knew I had entered too late to ever amount to much in Nashville. You either had to start young and establish yourself on the regional tournaments and then go crush the Junior Olympics. If you started late you had to rank in small tournaments and go up from there. It never happened at my age in Nashville because we had a lot of immigrants in the 35 years old and up age of Soviet bloc countries who could go to any of the smaller tourneys and sleep through them and still maintain their Men's A rating. My club had a chain smoking Russian ex-Olympian who never talked but was cool in that unsettling foreign guy wearing a twenty year old leather jacket way.

Anyways, I've never been able to stretch my legs for a gently caress. Before tourneys people would go into intense stretching routines and I would flounder badly and get exhausted just trying to limber up my legs. My coach eventually said, "Stretch for five minutes, then relax. You'll do better with a fresh mind and your other skills than shot legs that will take five to ten years to get limber." After this, I started placing well enough to get a low ranking and enjoy myself enough to be able to coach a bit in college. He saw what I could do and made the best of it.

Sadly, we had one Women's Junior Epee fencer who was always in the top three if not two in the nation. She was considered a shoe in for the Olympics if she could post a good college career. She got a full fencing scholarship to a drat good school up north but the coach fought her going tooth and nail. He knew she was a mental case before tourneys and would let her listen to music, relax, and joke around. Then she would win. The Russian idiots at her school had a, "YELL FREQUENTLY! YOU ARE WRONG! TRY HARDER! PUT A TOWEL OVER YOUR HEAD FOR AT LEAST FIFTEEN MINUTES WITHOUT MOVING OR TALKING BEFORE A MATCH AND VISUALIZE THE WIN! (I'm not loving joking on that last one.)" She then started to peter out, dropped in rankings, didn't qualify for the Olympics, and one morning jumped out of her lofted top bunk onto an upturned stiletto heel which then shot through her foot and that was it for her hopes. It was God drat angering and sad, but he called it happening before she left for college.

tl;dr - My fencing coach was cool. Fencing was cool. Smart coaching is rare and very cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Rothwell is going to TKO Overeem in the third. Calling it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

xcore posted:

Why is everything to do with Jens Pulver depressing as poo poo?

Listening to him on the MMA hour and his life is even more :smith: that I already thought it was.

I thought he had a cool little kid. What's been going wrong in Pulver town? :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sooo, pretty much nobody in the UFC can smoke weed anymore, right? poo poo hides in your fat for ages.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bubba Smith posted:

I could be wrong but I believe they've been upping the amount of :420: metabolites you can have in your system. Eventually I don't think it will be much of an issue unless you're Nick Diaz getting high on the plane flight to the venue.

I would really like to know more about this when it comes out. I've always thought the way that people can "pop" a weed test a month or two after the fact and/or by going to a concert is shady as hell and probably contributes a lot to America's unemployment problem.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

So I guess if you put an absolute schoolyard beating on someone parts of your body just explode from the intensity of attack?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Goon hate aside, who other than Saku, Fedor, and...err..yeah that's about it would belong in a HoF?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yuriy posted:

thats what he gets for being a mushmouthed ogre tard who lies at every possible chance

He is a lovable retard and I'm still glad my beloved cockatiel is named after him. But which is smarter?

Wanderlei - See anything he has ever said

Wandy the cockatiel - Didn't know she could fly when I got her after approximately seven to eleven years of existing. Now flies kinda like a fat kid running down stairs. Very scared of change. Headbutts me if I don't pay attention to her.

I'm thinking the parrot.

vs,

I think they are both dumb as hell.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 14, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

hrollins posted:

Cockatiel wins by a large margin, doesn't run away from drug tests either (I'm assuming).

She will give a vet a mean hissing. But then you just cover her in a towel and she becomes too befuddled to know how to fight.

Is this what we need with Wanderlei? A big towel to cover him with?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Did you do that? That's pretty God damned awesome. That guitar tone sounds like a phone book ripping. (a good thing)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That's offical UFC video, I wish I worked for the UFC.

This is a really cool video. I want to see more of this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I watched it with my grandma and she loved it.

gently caress a snack rating. I want a post fight Grandma rating.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yuriy posted:

i miss post event duzzy drunken recaps + chest scribblings

This always and forever.

Also can I copyright the idea of a Carano/Rousey movie after their first fight that coincides with the inevitable rematch?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

It's really unsettling that nerds are coming up that are into things I was too old to nerd out over. What the gently caress is that thing?

Oh, and Ronda owns. Rondowns?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's no place on the internet where a user can submit material that is safe from a DBZ derail. Just lie back and enjoy it.

So I now know that I must be slightly older than you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

gently caress an octopus. Do you all want some filmed parrot picks for upcoming cards? I think a stupid but lovable cockatiel named after Wanderlei Silva can oblige.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Whenever someone makes the next gameday thread save a spot for the Wandy Cockatiel Prediction. Any ideas? Tie some bird treats to action figures and hurl the dumb beast at them?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Agent Tough Juice posted:

You should probably just make the GDT. I think my schtick is probably getting a little tired and you've got a proper gimmick lined up for this one.

Ehhh. making a quick video with my bird I can do. Not sure if I have time for the whole thread. Next one if this Saturday, right?

And your GDT's are loving funny.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

First ever parrot pick incoming. I'll post a link when it uploads. I'm always welcome to suggestions down the road on how to have her pick.

Soccer has an octopus. We have a dumb but lovable parrot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

To be put in the game day thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABowZ56T9k

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MassRafTer posted:

You must know all the angles because that bird agonized over this.

This bird is also confused by loud noises, food, and her ability to locomote from one place to another.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I want Barnett to win the first ever old man wizard belt in a three way fight with Coleman and Nog.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yuriy posted:

thread is closed now but to captain log and agent tough juice : that GDT was the best in a long, long time and i hope yall keep doing stuff

:respek:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

TastyAvocado posted:

Don't forget CB Dollaway getting armbarred, twice, by a guy who no longer exists and never did.

I miss Amir. He was a cool dude.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

So I'm hearing a good bit of Brown vs. Lawler hype coming on. But Wandy isn't feeling it yet. She isn't even getting into the pizza from work that the young girl keeps making and sending home with me (She is the devil and wants to upset our happy home you are right not to eat her food, Ms. Wandy.)

So what kind of pick do you folks want? I will not do anything that puts Wandy in danger or under stress, but I can sense she NEEDS to release her psychic MMA power that I got by boning Keith Hackney's niece when I was in college. I have passed that power to the parrot. Now the parrot shall pick the winner. PSP Power.

I'm so confused and Wandy just pooped on my desk.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Marching Powder posted:

a4 sheets of brown / lawler on either side of the cage. which side wandy's on when he wakes up in the morning is our winner. or the pictures on the bottom of the cage and the one with the least poo poo on it by gameday.

The problem with this one is that parrots have their favorite perches thus poop spots. I'd be rigging it to put a name next to an area.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dangersim posted:

I want someone to give me a good reason why Overeem/Rothwell is not taking place in Denver.

I think it has to do with the Illuminati. You can find the clues about the horse meat at the Denver Airport.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What's DC's record with throwing weird and ugly fat Fedor baseball punches that kill people?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm really pumped for this fight for some reason. I feel like Cormier is going to channel some 2003-2006 Fedor and throw ugly tubby man baseball death at Jones and that makes us all happy. Is Cormier a dad? I feel like he has the look and feel of a man of could fight with Dad Strength.

We can win this fight, PSP. I'm going to start pep talking the parrot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

: Is a full grown man who is putting genuine effort and thought into how to best film Wandy the parrot making some sort of elaborate pick between Brown/Lawler. May be wrong about Cormier. God I hop not. :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Using my expertise in animal predictions...I think those rabbits picked Lawyer to win...?

Whatever they picked they definitely agreed.

• Locked thread