Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I really like the potential hilarity that Brandao v McGregor gives us. McGregor likes to fight at range and throw power shots so he can slip inside and throw combinations. Brandao likes to come forward constantly throwing bombs and has legitimate knock out power. He (brandao) also gasses about 2 minutes into the first round, can't seem to ever make weight and cries in typical brazillian fashion (he no hespec) if anyone even looks at him sideways. So there's potential for fireworks at the weigh ins, potential to see either an Irishman get punched to obscurity or to see a Brazillian get really sad that he can't get either his fitness or weight in check.

EDIT: lights isn't likes

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chael nooooooo

I don't really get this decision by the Fox or the UFC. The dudes officially retired. Its not as if it was really in disgrace either. He was pretty open and forthright from the beginning about his PED use in the general public, even if behind the scenes he was trying to sell the commission a bridge.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

outy posted:

I'm so sad. Cheating, lying, racist fraudster loses his job and will have to scrape by on his banked millions and property portfolio. The humanity!

BJ Penn put it well during the Sean Sherk debacle. Someone who takes steroids in another sport is doing it to run faster or jump higher. In MMA they are doing it so they can do more damage to another person. It's morally reprehensible. (The fact that Chael was doing it while preparing to fight roid-goblins is irrelevant).

He wasn't a racist.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

Oh is it on Monday?

Good thing I've got 7 days off work, woo FIFO

I'm going to go watch 175 at the eagle st pig on Sunday if anyone wants to watch shirtless dudes grinding on each other with a stranger from the net

I got Monday off, plan is for me and some friends to get drunk as poo poo on sunday during the card, sleep early then get up to watch the world cup and the card later.

John Romero posted:

is cain ever fighting again

Shoulders take forever to rehab and because wrestling, grappling, boxing and kick boxing all put some form of stress on the shoulders he quite literally can't do anything until he gets the OK. He fully expected to be out a year, which is why he's not back till november.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

How would everyone feel if barao completely whoops tj in the rematch

Not to be a smart rear end but there's 100% chance that won't happen (barring Dillashaw getting caught with a "lucky shot"). Dillashaw is only going to tighten up his defense moving in and out which was his only worry in the first fight, his movement and exiting from exchanges was so on loving point I don't think I've ever seen a better performance from anyone against a top tier opponent.

Barao's only avenue to winning would be to get the fight to the ground where he'd be able to exert control from the top. The chances of that happening against a guy who wrestles Mendes, Benevedez and Faber daily are somewhere between slim and loving none though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

oh no we dont get to see jose aldo fight a guy who stands absolutely no chance and doesnt deserve to fight him

He stands a chance more than anyone else in the division other than Cub Swanson at this point. If he's improved his striking over the past two years he has more options than he did have which was at the time, get beat up on the feet and then get stuffed shooting from the outside. He's looked good enough to at least be more of a threat than he was before.

I wouldn't expect a Dillashaw like performance but to write him off is pretty loving nuts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

If Barao improves his jab and uses teeps more to keep Dillashaw more at kicking distance, he can do some serious damage to his legs, which is going to take away the thing that made Dillashaw most effective in the first fight. I'd still heavily favor Dillashaw, but there are things Barao can do to make the striking less lopsided.

Barao has always had one of the best jabs in MMA, if he changes levels with it more and changes his consistent pattern of moving to left toward his opponents weaker side like GSP does - by throwing a covering jab i.e. rolling his shoulder and tucking behind it to negate a cross counter and can start to cut dillashaw's movement off and allow himself to throw power shots. He didn't do this at all in their first fight and Dillashaw was able to move around his jab with counters. Aldo and Dillashaw both have that issue where they like to control from the outside and don't have to move too much on their way in and out. They both like to pick their shots outside and hit with power when someone comes inside trying to rush past their jab or leg kicks.

I don't think Barao is going to start using more teeps, he might I agree, but there's a good chance that he'll get put down if he tries to.

Barao also tends to throw caution to the wind in exchanges and throw from his hips with his chin out rather than staying tight. That's not something that gets fixed in camp.

I'm not saying Barao won't be able to do anything, but I don't see him being able to adjust his style, that he's had for the last decade enough to negate the massive strides Dillashaw made. He'd need to have a lot more movement in his game, and a lot better footwork to cut off Dillashaw's movement. TJ came out at the right angles the whole fight so Barao had to re-set in order to hit him, mainly turn his whole body while getting hit and he kept moving. I don't see that in his game or his gas tank to completely change who he is as a fighter in a few months.

Bundt Cake posted:

How has he improved his striking? KOing lovely fighters then reverting to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter is basically meaningless in terms of improving enough from total death to surviving against aldo. On top of that even wrestling, his main poo poo, he didn't show a great gas tank. Hes as hosed against aldo as he ever was. I dont see any meaning in KOing Cody Mckenzie

First of all he didn't "revert to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter" he reverted to wrestling when he was gassing and felt slow because he was legitimately sick http://www.mmamania.com/2013/12/15/5212200/ufc-on-fox-9-results-chad-mendes-slowed-by-sickness-in-victory-over-nik-lentz. He used to stand flat footed in front of people and throw the most rudimentary one two combinations and leg kicks that lacked serious hip torque. At the very least against guida he showed that he can move his head off the centre line and throw three and four punch combinations now, he's also gotten a lot better at not backing straight out in exchanges and instead moving off his opponents centre. Those things alone represent a big jump in ability.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

I didn't run out of points in this argument. I got sick. My post torque is significantly below normal, which you can see when in posts where I own people with regdates after 2010

Haven't run out of your never ending ability to poo poo post instead of actually having something to say about a fighter.

cams posted:

The idea of counting Barao out of ANY fight is absurd. Yes, TJ put on one of the most impressive performances in UFC history against him, but that doesn't take away at all from how good Barao is. And now Barao gets to go into the fight knowing what TJ can really do.

It would be absurd if he had any answer for anything at all Dillashaw did in the first fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It kind of sucks 176 is so close. They could've done Frankie v Mendes if it was a little further away. I mean did Frankie even get hit yesterday?

Also, I had the fight going to weidman but I gave Machida the 5th I felt he did more in that round even counting the takedown. Weidman out grappled him for sure but I think Machida got the better of the three minutes that wasn't spent on the deck.

Also medical suspensions came out today from 175 Weidmans is kind of nuts: Must have left jaw, right elbow, right ribs, and right ankle x-rayed if not cleared by an orthopedic doctor he's out until January. Sounds like Machidas left kick did a lot of damage.

Him going to Raphael Cordeiro to get more aggressive in looking for the finish was a wise move. It's a shame he couldn't turn himself lose in the third instead. A rematch shouldn't be immediate but if Machida wins a couple of fights from here he drat sure deserves one.

gently caress the score cards that fight was a drat sight closer than 49 45.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Scott808 posted:

He did have it on the show. It's really obvious in the scene in the TUF house where he's arguing with Fat Pat about training with Team Penn.

Yeah agreed my buddies asked me what the go with his pecs were and I straight up said steroids. Might be as far back as his football career though. It's not unusual for doctors to give steroids to high schoolers in some football programs. Rampant steroid use is one of the worst kept secrets of football.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I guess doing the embedded and countdown shows is going to be good for the fighters' being a draw. Aldo is a little tough because he doesn't speak english. It didn't hurt Silva too much but then again he had Chael doing enough talking for three fighters to really boost his popularity.

Really Aldo needs to pick up a few more phrases and become more of a showman in his promotion. Yeah people should just want to watch him for his fights, but they don't - the blue print is there to push him forward.

Also Dana is always seen as the guy negotiating and making decisions because he wants it that way. He talked about it IIRC on Rogan's podcast. The main reason is because he then becomes the lightening rod. He doesn't want someone on their legal team or whatever having their twitter accounts bombed, doesn't want them being abused walking down the street or whatever. While he said he gets a lot of credit, he take the flak for other people's mistakes. One president, one person to get all the hate and all the abuse. It's pretty good leadership. Hell just look at Ariel Helwani's twitter - people post poo poo like "gently caress you jew" etc when he tweets developing news. Dana's happy to get the hate so everyone else can just do their job.

I'm not surprised that Frankie and Bendo weren't huge draws. Both of them are pretty vanilla, I know you don't want to give your opponent message board material but poo poo, coming out and saying - this guys a chump who doesn't deserve to be in the ring with me only ever gets you attention.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

I am watching Season 4 of the Ultimate Fighter for the first time. I've got a pretty good idea of who wins, but other than that don't know any details.

Episode 1
  • Dana looks and sounds really, really young. He needs to lay of the HGH a bit and try to look like a normal human again. Also his accent seems to be a bit more pronounced.
  • Shonie <3
  • I'm into the premise, mostly because it seems like a pretty talent heavy season. I'm seeing a lot of guys who were around the UFC for quite a while, and multiple title challengers.
  • The no central coach concept sounds really strange to me though. You've got all these guys who are in competition with one another, left to basically struggle over coaching resources, with no central guide as to how they should be apportioning things out.
  • Matt Serra is cool as poo poo. Cornering and strategy for a guy who beat him.
  • I was worried about Shonie because A. old B. a billion fights and C. it seemed like Serra was training him in really basic grappling. Kimbo grappling.
  • The coaching during the fight is roughly 98.6% Serra compared to whoever is cornering Clementi.
  • I can't believe this is welterweights. They're gassing like the combined weight is 500 lbs.
  • Guy who lost while taking no damage: "maybe I should fought harder."

Haha season 4 owned bones for a lot of reasons. Matt Serra talked about it on the Rogan experience. Also Serra's "DON'T FORGET THE FOOT STAWMPS" is pretty much a staple for me and my brother to yell at the TV when we're drunk at mid day on a sunday watching fights.

On BJ Penn:
BJ Penn switched his style up in the past when he first started working with Parillo. He used to fight a lot more square and then went to a more bladed stance where he could parry and counter with his jab, it worked really well for a long time at lightweight but starting failing him when he went up for no real reason after losing to Frankie. It mainly started failing because he fought Nick Diaz and MacDonald who have solid jab games of their own, but are also much longer than he is.

His high stance is the same sort of thing, just really poorly executed by guys who've trained a lot of dutch style kick boxing. Duane Ludwig and TJ Dillashaw have used a high stance before, the difference is it's a high stance when there further away (i.e. not in range) of their opponent and they sat down when they exchanged. Penn's footwork was off, he didn't settle his weight when he threw punches and had no answer for the takedown because his center of gravity was so high. His guard work was also pointless and really lacking in attacks. I honestly thought at first he was trying to bait Frankie into something he'd seen on film, like wait for him to pass to half and try to take his back or something.

BJ probably could have made this fight more interesting if he worked on cutting the ring off and clinch fighting, instead he picked the worst possible style to try and adopt for the fight. It was bizarre and stupid. If I was Parillo I'd distance myself from it too. Parillo is a former boxer and he's worked with decent fighters in the past Bisping springs to mind, but BJ's execution of "fighting tall" was terrible.

BJ was a good draw too because he was an exciting fighter. He was easy to hype up because he finished everyone he beat when he was a LW.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Trast posted:

I think I heard she had a cyst in her hand bust or she broke her hand previous to the fight and just didn't tell anyone. I don't think anyone knew she was scheduled for knee surgery either so who knows what was up. She fought three times in six months so she was bound to get some injuries.

Meanwhile Cruz sneezes and his MCL explodes.

There's a little bone behind your thumb knuckle that's easy to break. The cyst was from boxing so much in the lead up to the McCann fight, the knee is just routine clean scar tissue and poo poo that builds up - nothing actually damaged.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Zwachro posted:

I think Weidman had a similar knee operation not very long ago? But yea, the thumb is probably the only thing that actually got damaged in the fight.

Yeah I assume so, same thing that every NFL running back has had done bi-annually since their 14th birthday.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rousey wins striking exchanges for two reasons 1 she hits harder than anyone across from her and 2 she'll stand in the pocket and eat shots just to get one or two off so she can clinch. Her tecnique of throwing punches with her hips and sinking her weight is fine, but her head movement is the worst I've ever seen from someone who's been working their striking so hard. Her head movement is loving woeful whether she's throwing or moving in and out and if she faces someone with edgar-esque ability to come in throw shots, change levels and not let her get off her own punches she'll get frustrated. I wouldn't like anyone's chances at doing that for 25 minutes without getting slammed on their head and submitted though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GRBass posted:

I agree with the head being high being bad fundamentally but her high posture is ultimately what allows her to move her opponents upperbody from a hunchier position to being more chest to chest with herself allowing for more control of the hips and lower body. she tends to keep more upright so that when her and the opponent ultimately collide they tend to be more belly to belly than they would be normally. Its also why I think she uses that weird hendo-esque stance.

In exchanges when you're throwing jabs and crosses your head shouldn't be straight up and down in the same place all the time, it should be protected by rolling your shoulder on the punching arm and sliding your head off centre. Despite what people might think Hendo does actually do this, Rhonda doesn't. Staying upright with your back is fine, plenty of boxers do it, but keeping your head on the centre line through every punch is downright bad and she does that all the time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Couldn't they just call it the Zuffa MMA Hall of fame that way they could pretty easily put in guys who deserve it and who did quite a bit for mma while in strikeforce, pride and the wec.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Random observation about some recent stuff:

- Rewatched Kevin Casey vs. Bubba Bush for some reason. Joe Rogan lauds Casey's cardio after TKOing Bush in 1 minute. :lol:

Watching TUF19

- Corey Anderson's tiny boobs crack me up.
- After one of the elimination fights in the first episode Dana says "You can't be in the UFC if you can't stand up" which I found funny and ironic considering Penn's performance in the finale.
- :lol: at Cathal Pendred CONSTANTLY talking about proving that the Irish have the "fighting spirit" because nobody anywhere associates the Irish with fighting.

Everyone knows the Irish men can fight, it's just no one believes that they can fight men or while sober.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Because hiding from a test should be considered an automatic failure in the worst way. Otherwise there's nothing to stop fighters buying smoke grenades and using them so they can haul rear end whenever the commission shows up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Solomonic posted:

For those of you who haven't seen it

Igor threw a bunch of those weird thumb-down punches that Russians always seem to use (Aleks Emilianenko did it a lot too) and basically turned his hands into glass as a result, but when those things landed, they really landed.

Yeah they even get called Russian hooks. They're interesting to use because they come at an odd angle and can be used to open up a fighters guard or slip through the four ounce gloves but I could see someone breaking their hand really easily using that technique.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When's tj grant due back?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That typology of dweeb and all its derivatives comprise like 82% of all goons, man. They simply don't like sport's.

I dunno, there's nothing better than reading the rants of some fat kid who got bullied once by a jock crying about how sports are stupid compared to intellectual pursuits.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Funny thing about Lawlor getting knocked out, that was 10 years ago. He hasn't been stopped since he came back to welterweight and more importantly, hasn't been knocked out since he stopped training at the Militich academy where they were known for having days where they'd "thin the herd" where they beat the gently caress out of each other for some machismo bullshit.

Brown is going to have a tough time in this match up because Lawlor doesn't pick his shots on the outside, he'll meet Brown when he comes forward and look to counter off Browns jab. Something no one he's fought in his last run has had the talent to do. Lawlor rolls his body away from shots extremely well and counters hard to both the body and the head. I don't necessarily see this as being a walk over, but unless Brown can hurt him early, which is certainly possible. I don't see Lawlor having a lot of trouble with what Brown has to offer. Brown could still starch him in the opening 5 because he hits that hard and he's that good, but it's just as likely Lawlor wears him down and finds a finish later in the fight around rounds three to four.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ftfy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MMA never change. Jones gets the opponent he wanted all along. Chael Sonnen pulls off some game of thrones bullshit to bring down the NSAC from the inside and Vitor gets a license to fight despite being more steroid than man.

I love this gay sport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cormier is good at a couple of things that could give Jones dramas, he likes to clinch and he's extremely strong and his level change / head movement will be better than anyone he's fought as a dual threat standing or shooting in. Cormier lands his looping hooks for the same reason a lot of wrestlers think they're kick boxers after one decent knock out, he has a good shot and can catch guys reaching.

What I'm trying to get at is that Cormier is harder to hit coming in than people realise, and his movement is good enough to get inside. Jones likes to extend his hands out a lot and the last guy he did that to that moves well in and out of exchanges cracked him a few times.

Cormier has ways to win the fight, and I don't think he's dumb enough to stand outside trading jabs and playing paddy cake like Rashad was, he also doesn't need to sell out hoping to goad Jones into a brawl like Rampage and Glover had to to stand a chance either.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

I think DC's biggest advantage besides his wrestling has been his speed. He's just been faster than everyone he's fought (and stronger and better). And his timing is great. With Jones he's not going to have that advantage and I think if anything that'll end up his downfall. Also he's short and stubby.

My actual prediction for the fight though is that Cormier puts a wrestling on him in the first round, Jones turns it around in 2 and Cormier times a perfect knockout in the middle of the third.

I don't necessarily see Jones as particularly fast or overly accurate in his striking though. For some reason other than Gus and Chael not a lot of guys have taken the fight to the front foot and attacked him. Gus did it and used his length and head movement to get into exchanges and chael went full video game double leg after double leg attempt.

I think Cormier would have to come into the fight with the best cardio he's ever had and push the pace for the first three to try and bank some rounds early, but Jones tends to cruise from in front these days. He was really tested by Gustaffson and I can see Cormier bringing the same intensity albeit in a different way. Cormier hasn't faced the stiffest competition on his way to the title shot, but I think he actually has a speed advantage in this one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

vainman posted:

That's not an excuse it happens in boxing all the time. It's a concussion.

The worst excuse of recent was probably Mendes saying he was sick like a month before the Lentz fight

Except Mendes won that fight pretty handily and was sick the week of, not "like a month before".

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

Well the positive is I get to see Nick Diaz fight, the negative is now I have to hear words said by Nick Diaz and observe behavior from Nick Diaz.

In other news, Bobby Green has a hell of a life story. (I bolded the highlights)

Jesus loving christ, now I feel bad for wanting him to lose :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

When when when when when did Anderson's arsenal rely on sharp leg kicks? He could abandon them and not have to change, well, anything.

Pretty much never. He throws body and high kicks after punching combinations. He isn't known for jacking up legs. His bread and butter has always been to stand just outside of range, wave his hands and tease people so they over extend where he can avoid and wallop them.

To be fair, Diaz is more likely to come forward more measured like weidman did and throw more controlled punches, but Anderson looked to use leg kicks because weidman kept moving forward, he couldn't come close to stopping him in the clinch and when he tried to box with him Weidmans movement was good enough to avoid eating a full force shot.

The whole idea that Anderson is now scared to throw legs kicks, or has always thrown leg kicks for that matter is ridiculous. The dude likes to punch people moving forward so he creates a collision. He's been the best at it for the better part of a decade.

Nick would come forward, anderson will engage and then look to murder his body with knees, or catch him with a high kick moving out of an exchange. Same way he has always done.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

frenton posted:

Yes, this was a product of the brainchild behind such amazing products as AlphaBrain (DOUBLE BLIND STUDIES!!) and Shroomtech Sport (CORDYCEPS!!)

Of all the times I heard Joe pitch this stuff I had no idea it was actual colored nail polish. I thought it was just like some clear stuff you put on your nails to make them stronger or something. And even that seemed like a pretty limited target market.

While I wouldn't waste my money on nootropics and Bullshit that makes you absorb oxygen better their products are making them huge bank at the moment. Men's nail polish is retarded, though to be fair it can stop your nails from cracking if you spend a lot of time kickboxing or grappling.

I dunno in the history of dumb products it's gotta be the dumbest.

I wonder who's next for Bermudez he's gotta be close to a title eliminator right? Dudes on a huge win streak.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lid posted:

Two title fights.

Zero buys.

This really is an underwhelming card and I am morbidly curious how they are going to sell anyone on Cariaso .

Jesus that's like prelim on a free fox card bad under those two title fights. Kind of a shame they couldn't reorder the fights so we got something like rumble / nog on there instead of the fox card just gone.

I still want to see those two title fights but I don't see the value in buying the ppv. As much as I love watching Mighty Mouse and tj I really can't see their opponents doing anything to beat them. The barao fight might have a crazy ending but I don't see dilashaw losing to Barao after how easily he handled him last time

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The oblique kick is meant to stop people moving forward. Jones doesn't really put much hip into it anyway. He uses it so he can rake his opponent in the eyes anyway.

There are some kicks I've seen in k1 where they kick from a more inside to out angle that can gently caress someone's knee but I don't think Cormier is going to plod forward like rampage and rashad do or did.

Also Nick and nate are both bigger than people realise. Nate walks around at 180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Both the Diaz brothers are weird. Me and MP have pointed out when this stuff comes up that they don't really view themselves as professional athletes or whatever. Nate specifically said there's guys who consider themselves to be UFC fighters. Where he thinks of himself as a martial artist who fights in the UFC. I'm pretty sure he even mentioned if he had his choice he'd just teach BJJ.

I think their whole attitude is kind of, well if I have to fight to make a living gently caress everyone else because they're only here to hurt me, I don't want to be friends, I just want to go in there, fight and go home.

They've probably left a lot of money on the table because they're unwilling to "play the game" but I honestly don't think either of them would give a poo poo if they never fought in the UFC again. It's just where they can get the best pay day.

• Locked thread