Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Didn't count Tate because I didn't see it listed anywhere that she actually has any belt in BJJ. With a bit more effort I found that she has a purple belt. A far cry (on paper) from Davis's black belt.

Belt rankings are at best a vague guide to grappling ability for MMA, cf. Pettis-Henderson II. Tate is a very good grappler with about as many submission wins over credible competition as Davis.

edit: also I had to look for this information but Genki Sudo was a brown belt the whole time he was competing in MMA.

quote:

I'm not sure if Davis can be compared to Matt Brown, but McMann isn't exactly Matt Brown either, and Rousey isn't Erik Silva. Davis has certainly better demonstrated that she can keep her poo poo together while taking shots, which I've never seen McMann do (though I haven't seen all of her fights).

Getting dropped by a liver shot has nothing to do with toughness. Donald Cerrone ate over 200 significant strikes in three rounds with Nate Diaz, but he was still fighting back effectively to the final bell. He's a very, very tough fighter. Anthony Pettis stopped him inside one round by landing a series of body kicks to the right side of his body--the first few killed his offensive output, and the last one landed flush to the liver and turned off his body just like flipping a switch. If Davis is unfortunate enough to wind up in the same position McMann was in, she'll drop and probably be finished in the same way. The possibility should definitely worry Davis, since if Rousey decides she wants to do that rather than going for throws, I'm not sure Davis has any tools to stop her.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

tesilential posted:

but it was pretty cool that Machida basically went full chainsaw mode and Weidman just stood in front of him gassed and took it all no problem, like he literally caught his second wind while Machida was hitting him with everything he had. Then Weidman came back and won the last round.

"No problem"? Machida had him badly hurt and in danger of being finished for the better part of the fourth round. Weidman's performance was impressive enough without inventing an alternate history version of the fight where he was never even in trouble. I mean, would you look at rounds 3 and 4 and say that Machida took everything Weidman threw at him no problem, then came back and won the fourth round?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

Weidman got hit clean a lot in the fourth but it seems kind of silly to say that he was in danger of being finished when he was on his feet throwing back the whole time. Like, he was in danger the same way anyone is in danger when they are getting hit by a good striker, but he's obviously got a hell of a chin and he came back and won the next round, so it doesn't seem like he was THAT hurt.

We know he didn't get KOed so hindsight makes it seem he was in less danger than he was, but for about the second half of the round after Machida started connecting with his left, he was in obvious trouble because his game fell apart--his striking output dwindled to a few jabs, he couldn't do anything with his wrestling, and his characteristic sharp striking defense turned very porous. Weidman was basically standing right in front of Machida without really pressing him or even presenting a credible threat, which is not a good place to be. He survived partly because of his chin but mostly because Machida was exhausted and hurting as well. Lyoto was limited to landing single shots and a couple of brief flurries at the start and finish of the sequence where he had the advantage.

But since you point it out, it was hyperbole for me to say that he was in danger of being finished. I mean, he was, but not in the sense that the ref was standing over him telling him to fight back while Lyoto chased the TKO.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BJ had a pretty traditional muay thai stance in his fight which is pretty weird because I don't really remember him ever doing that (or it ever really appearing in MMA in general). It's not popular in MMA because obviously you're standing straight up in the air with your feet basically touching which means you have next to no ability to defend takedowns because you basically can't sprawl and it's really easy to offset your center of balance. In practice this could have been deliberate from BJ if he favored his odds on the ground even off his back (although historically I don't know why he would think this) and was going to employ the benefits of the stance while standing.

The upright stance and closely spaced feet also took the sting out of his boxing, because he wasn't using his hips. He was basically throwing arm punches so Frankie had no reason to respect him as a threat. I'm more of a boxing fan so maybe you can educate me, but it looked like that stance mostly makes it quicker to use the lead leg to check low kicks and throw teeps, and then when it's time to throw power from the rear leg you start by opening the stance with a forward step. Is that about right? In retrospect it's bizarre that BJ went to a stance that's mostly used because of its benefits for the kicking game, when he was notable in his career for hardly ever kicking a guy.

To me the strangest thing isn't that BJ tried it, because obviously he needed to change up somehow if he was going to even look competitive against Frankie, let alone win. The thing that really confuses me is he must have been training and sparring with and in front of guys who know how to fight or at least what fighting looks like, and none of them called bullshit on this plan. Even people who have never seen a fight could probably tell immediately that BJ's plan was poo poo just from how awkward he was. I get that BJ surrounds himself with yes-men, but drat.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It would've been really interesting to see where that fight went if Miesha wasn't so enamored with getting the takedown, but then again it looked like she wanted that takedown so badly because she wasn't enjoying the stand up portion of the match either.

I've said this a couple times, but if you want to see Miesha try to strike with Ronda you just have to watch their first fight. Two times in that one round, Miesha caught her with good punches and tried to follow with more. Both times, Ronda pushed in through Miesha's hooking punches, got the clinch, and tossed her straight into an armbar attempt. The first time Tate escaped, the second time Ronda broke her arm for her.

Tate and Caraway both worked with TAM earlier in their careers and it really shows in her style. She mostly works by pressuring her opponents with scrambly wrestling and pushing the pace until they can't keep up, and then submitting them. Her go-to striking technique is rushing forward with alternating hooks, and it has as much to do with closing distance to attempt takedowns as it does with landing damaging strikes. This is why she failed at striking with Ronda in the first fight; any time she was successful she came forward throwing hooks and put herself right in Ronda's wheelhouse. If somebody is going to strike successfully with Ronda it will be somebody who knows how to maintain distance, which Tate does not. Aside from that, it turns out that Tarverdyan wasn't just talking poo poo when he said that Ronda has powerful strikes. Apparently she was hurting Miesha pretty badly with her right hand, and everybody just missed it at the time because her striking was supposed to be a joke.

Dangersim posted:

I didn't say I thought she was going to finish ronda, I said saying someone doesn't have power after they knock people unconscious with one shot is dumb. It doesn't matter if it was in the second round, this isn't a video game where people have health bars.

This is a video of that whole fight rather than just the KO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJQIvvU_Bc
Snark about hitpoints aside, laying in the groundwork to set up a finish later on is an actual thing. Holm spent basically the whole first round with body kicks and only went to the head very late in the first. The KO also came on the third attempt at a big headkick, the first two being blocked by Jones, whereas on the third go Holm feinted with punches to draw her right hand out of position and then her shin came right through the opening.

Looking at how she did that and the finishes on her record, it would appear that Holm sets women up and lays traps for them to get finishes, rather than just coming out and beating them unconscious like Cyborg.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

heeebrew posted:

Jesus christ, it looked like she went out for a split-second at the end when her arm got trapped and then she woke up to get knocked out ridiculously.

Oh yeah, she was clearly unconscious and only getting an arm twisted in the ropes kept her upright. You can see it's actually the referee dragging her out of the ropes that wakes her up.

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Uh yeah. Looked an awful lot like the ref should have waved it off before the second knockout.

He didn't even give her a standing eight count! What a mess.

e: although possibly the fight was under a commission that doesn't do eight counts

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Captain Log posted:

So I guess if you put an absolute schoolyard beating on someone parts of your body just explode from the intensity of attack?

Yup. reposted from gif thread:

If you look close you can even sort of see where she broke her thumb. From the scarf hold position she has to punch from a weird angle and she winds up hitting Davis's dome with her thumb instead of her knuckles a few times.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

fatherdog posted:

Can you imagine how impossibly poo poo the UFC hall of fame would be if it worked the way baseball's does
i really can't, but i actually can't imagine them doing much worse of a job.

I think the joke is that inductees into the baseball hall of fame are selected by baseball writers, so the UFC equivalent would probably be idiots on Bleacher Report and Bloody Elbow trying to induct Fedor every single year even though he was never even signed with the promotion.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Maybe somebody mentioned it in here before but Rogan did one of those "fight companion" podcasts with Schaub and Brian Callen for the TUF19 finale. I skipped ahead to the main event and I'm really excited to listen to what they have to say about what BJ did.

edit-
Joe: "Look how tall he's standing. Weird. Weird!"

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 14, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

kensei posted:

https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/489618024362545153

@TeamKhabib
Lets go, I'm ready, @Cowboycerrone @danawhite @ufc @lorenzofertitta @arielhelwani @dc_mma

:getin:

cowboy gonna get suplexed onto his head

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

-Atom- posted:

I love that Nurmy thinks Daniel Cormier has some pull

They train together at AKA and are apparently pals, and Cormier actually tweeted Khabib right then to remind him that he should call Cowboy out on twitter immediately
https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/489618017458745344

quote:

@dc_mma

@TeamKhabib where are u brother. Call him out right now! Don't wait let him know u wanna fight @Cowboycerrone will gladly accept.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Cerrone would get taken down a lot but I think he'd fair okay in that match. While the fight is standing he would land better shots than Mr. Khabib and when taken down he has some good offensive subs. Cerrone owns. Kabib wins a unanimous decision.

Cerrone's kicks are by far his best weapons and I don't seem him getting much done with them against Khabib's pressure and takedown threat. Considering how hittable Cerrone is, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Khabib win any brief standup exchanges that come between the long stretches of wrestling Cerrone into cowboy sauce.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

vainman posted:

Here's the best Vovchanchyn fight. It was a one night tourney and he'd already fought twice before getting matched against a totally fresh Nick Nutter. Nutter beats the absolute piss out of him for 22 minutes before Igor grabs Nutter's head from bottom and headbutts him until he taps out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OhBdaIQEE

I couldn't tell what happened there so I tried to find more information, I guess Igor broke Nutter's nose with one of those headbutts and then kept working it, and Nutter tapped from pain and exhaustion. drat.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Grifter posted:

I think it was FD who said that the thing that makes Brown Brown is this weird steady implacability. He never really slows down (and, conversely, never really goes for the kill), but he just continues his steady progress forward, beating rear end. (FD said it in a much more concise way.) That has to be incredibly tough for a guy in Silva's situation, who thought he had the fight won, when in fact it was just Brown fighting at Brown's pace, which he continued to do until Silva could no longer deal.

This is actually a great point and thinking about it I realized that Brown almost never flurries when he has a guy hurt. Instead he takes advantage of the fact that they're not hitting back or defending themselves effectively to just throw single strikes and short combos that he really sits down on; he doesn't throw more strikes, he throws them harder and more accurately. His TKO of Mike Pyle is a great one for that, because a lot of guys would have dived into Pyle's guard and flailed at him to get the TKO, but Brown just stood over him picking his shots.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

Brown is tough as hell but if it was Robbie that hurt him in his past couple of fights instead of Mein or Silva I don't see any way he doesn't get TKOed. Meanwhile if Manhoef couldn't finish Robbie with like 70 unanswered strikes I don't think Brown can either. I think Robbie is better than Brown at everything Brown is good at.

It's so weird that Melvin Manhoef beat the hell out of Lawler and couldn't finish him, but Nick Diaz turned off his brain with one clean punch to the jaw. He went down and out and was even visibly wobbly for minutes afterwards. That indicates to me that it's at least theoretically possible for Brown to win, but it just seems so unlikely. I think Robbie is going to slip punches and work Matt's body over, and then finish him off when he drops. It's just hard to see it going another way.

Dangersim posted:

That was a bad mma juding split decision-Rory and Robbie both won a round, and then Robbie beat the gently caress out of Rory in the third.

That fight was amazing because a fighter I like beat up a fighter I dislike until he basically wept right there in the octagon.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Ah yes, chase Anderson Silva, a sure avenue to victory.

Anderson's boxing technique always centered on being able to hang right on the edge of the pocket and slip punches to land his counters, which worked a treat against guys like Griffin and Okami who would come forward throwing tentative one-two combinations, and eventually try to catch Silva by rushing in and running past their own feet. The way Diaz strikes is actually pretty problematic for counter-punching. He almost never chases; conversely he's notable for plodding footwork. He just maintains the same stance and steps forward to keep resetting the range where he wants it as his opponents retreat. Even where Nick and Nate had somebody badly hurt, they don't really rush forward looking for a finish, they just maintain their range and continue landing punches (Nate-Maynard III is a good one to check out for that). Also, whereas it is possible to slip punches and counter when fighting a swarming boxer--check out some Mayweather highlights--I doubt Anderson could do the matrix trick against somebody who can double and triple up on punches and rattle off long combinations like Diaz.

This is not to say that I think Diaz could win a boxing match with Anderson, only that I think Anderson would have trouble slipping those combinations. If Anderson was willing to absorb a few punches here and there, which probably wouldn't be that dangerous considering they're Diaz punches, he could just dig in and win the exchanges by hitting back much harder and more accurately. If he did that I'd bet on him stopping Diaz by TKO long before he accumulated any significant damage.

But my guess would be that Anderson wouldn't go for that, because he has easier ways to win that fight. Diaz doesn't check leg kicks and his striking defense is porous, so Anderson could take him out with kicks in any number of ways. Leg kick TKO, body kicks, head kick, front kick to the face, whatever. He'd also have a big size and strength advantage and Diaz has no wrestling, so Anderson could ragdoll him in the thai clinch and finish him there with knees. Why box with him?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Because he's a much better boxer.

Again, I agree that he's a better boxer and I agree that he wins the fight without much trouble that way, I just don't see why he would pursue a strategy where Diaz might actually touch him a few times before the TKO, when he has so many other options where Diaz doesn't even get the chance to do that.

Dangersim posted:

Like are you trying to say plodding footwork is an advantage against Anderson?

No, you suggested that Diaz was going to get caught chasing Anderson and I was just pointing out that it's unlikely because Diaz doesn't chase. That's all.

Nick's footwork is real bad and that's been a serious problem for him more than once. The Condit fight is the one that people usually bring up, because a little angle-cutting and lateral movement neutralized his offense almost completely. I would actually suggest his two fights with KJ Noons as a better example, because Diaz got boxed up by a significantly smaller fighter with much shorter reach, who isn't half as good as Condit, purely because Noons has a little science and knows how to cut angles as he comes in and out. Silva doesn't really do that, though. It's another of the backwards things he did that made him remarkable as a striker, like standing in the pocket with his hands down. He didn't cut angles, he stood right in front of people just inside their punching range and relied on his ability to lean back and slip punches to keep him safe.

If Silva has changed up after his losses to Weidman, I'm sure he has the movement and technical ability to fight that way if he wants to. It's just that he never really needed to because he always got by with mostly linear movement. It would be really neat if he showed a new facet to his game and came in cutting angles like Dillashaw, though.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Oh my god.

Have you ever watched an Anderson Silva fight

A bunch, including just now on fight pass, but maybe you can point out a particular fight or striking exchange for me to review.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

vainman posted:

Look at the feet here EvanScheck. Silva isn't the one who planted his feet.

I see. I think I have a problem following what Silva is doing if it isn't in slow motion because of his economy of movement. Like in that gif he doesn't even take a whole step to the outside of Griffin's lead foot, he just shifts his feet a couple inches and he has the dominant angle in spite of barely moving, and Griffin doesn't even see it happen.

Solomonic posted:

The website is pretty great but I hope they refine the search function someday, like maybe put tags on each video so you can reliably search by fighter. Like, if I search for Matt Brown I get results from Mike Brown, Travis Browne, Matt Mitrione, and Dennis Bermudez (probably because the mention of his fight with Matt Grice is in the description) on the first page alone.

If you use quotation marks like "Matt Brown" it will search for the whole string and that works a little better for fighters with common names. It still winds up cluttered with extraneous related videos because of the descriptions, like if you search "Matt Brown" right now you'll get all Robbie Lawler's fights as well, but it's slightly cleaner.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

It would behoove anybody fighting Nick Diaz to throw lots of leg kicks and throw them early, not just Anderson, but Anderson's kicks are pretty nasty IMO and if he was gonna leg kick Nick to death I bet he could get a TKO in the 3rd when Nick can no longer stand on his own.

It might not even take that long, judging from what Evangelista Dos Santos was able to do to Nick's legs inside one round.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
ufc.tv is a great resource. I just learned that Nick Diaz welcomed Gleison Tibau to the UFC (by beating the piss out of him at 170, after which Tibau went back to 155 and never left). Weird stuff.

e: Nick "Diablo" Diaz? What?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Watch Silva vs Leben and picture Leben standing flatfooted in the middle of the Octagon flipping the bird instead of plodding forward with a glazed look.

I can't wait to read the Jack Slack preview for that fight

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Yuriy posted:

quote:

@TimKennedyMMA 3m
Screw it. I'm going to take steroids, and/or lose fights so I can get big super fights and/or title fights.
bitchmade

I almost want to sign up for twitter just so I can tell him that Nick Diaz on a conference call is ten times more exciting and entertaining than Tim Kennedy in an MMA fight.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Has Nick fought at 185 before? He wasn't particularly big at 170 so this seems like an odd choice, although I guess there isn't a whole lot of other "superfights" he could make that would earn him lots of cash.

He's fought catchweight bouts at 179 and 180. Diaz doesn't look that big because he's lean and doesn't carry a lot of muscle, but he actually has a good sized frame for 170, similar in height and reach to Dong Hyun Kim who is known for being a huge welterweight. I think Nick will probably make 185 with a miniscule cut (if any at all). He'll be significantly undersized against Silva but that's honestly going to be the least of his problems.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Plus, he's obviously amazing at grappling since he took down Bisping a bunch and styled all over a super loving gassed Roger Gracie

Tim Kennedy takes people down and carefully grapples on them until they get tired. Ordinarily I'm okay with that and I'm a big fan of some other guys with the same basic game plan, but every time I see Kennedy doing his thing I find myself wishing I was watching Stun Gun being a giant spaz or even just Shields turning purple and aish-ing around like a dork.

That said, I am kinda looking forward to Kennedy's next fight because I want to see what happens when he fights a really high-level wrestler. If Yoel hits an ankle pick on him I'll be laughing about it all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yeah, it's how I first heard about him. It's from one of his first MMA fights a few years back in Poland or whatever.

He has an amazing ankle pick from his amateur wrestling career, to the point that he was hitting it on guys like Adam Saitiev and Cael Sanderson. It turns out if you can work an ankle pick on the very best wrestlers in the entire world, when you fight a random Polish kickboxer you can just grab his foot and make him upside-down. I want him to do that to Tim Kennedy because Kennedy obviously prides himself on his grappling and believes he's among the best fighters in the world, so it would be funny if Yoel humiliated him.

• Locked thread