Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If Chael was on HGH and T and EPO and HcG and whatever the gently caress else, what kind of poo poo must Vitor be on to look like this? He must have an IV full of poo poo just pumping it into him for hours a day.

My favourite chael moment was when he was talking about how he kept up his work in real estate. He was like "nobody actually trains full time. You cant train for 8 hours. Everyone else is lying. Im pretty sure". then he got tossed by maia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Managers typically get 10%, not 20%

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

His dieting stuff does have some merit, but it's not anything different than what a lot of other people are saying. The thing is, most people don't have the willpower to stick to something so strict by themselves. When they hire a guy like Dolce, he takes over their diet entirely. He manages everything going in the fighter, which makes it pretty easy to ensure they're eating well and eating things that will aid in a cut. I used to work with a pro-natural body builder whose diet and cutting regimen was almost exactly what Dolce's was, but he had the willpower and drive to manage it himself with his wife which I'm guessing a lot of fighters don't.

Not just that but dolce takes care of the food prep (if not personally than through a proxy). its so much easier to stick to it when the food is made and ready for you

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheReverend posted:

I read one of his books and it was awful.
No real "here's what you need to eat and why" just a "here's what I like to eat".

A good nutrition book should explain not only what to eat but how much to eat and how to calculate everything.

If he gave enough of the specifics away in his book so that anyone could easily adapt it to their lives hed be putting himself out of business

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
gomi looks so fat and so drunk

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I remember when Kid Yamamoto vs Urijah Faber was kind of a dream match. That was a loooooong time ago. Don't be a dick Dana.

urijah claimed that he had the secret to defeat kid, and then he gave that secret knowledge to joe warren. the secret was "don't be terrible"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Weidman gassing probably had a lot to do with being in a fight. I would guess that if he is in another competitive fight he is going to get tired again. Machida started having more success with his counter left before Weidman got tired. He was also landing body kicks before Weidman got tired.

weidman gassed because his gameplan required him to be constantly pressuring, and constantly moving

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

A fighter got tired when he was forced to fight? Shocking

what are you talking about? there are all kinds of ways of fighting that aren't constant feints and fakes and cutting off the cage. weidman's gameplan was one that i'm sure he knew was going to tire him out, but i don't see how he was "forced to fight".

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Agreed. I don't get why fans sometimes get their noses bent out of shape when a fighter insists on getting paid. The UFC seems to agree that he was worth it.

i don't have a problem with people getting paid but i do have a problem with TUF tying up non-trash fighters.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Kurohashi posted:

"That said, "Scarface" seemed to recognize that his not being fluent in English may be hurting his marketability in the United States. and was asked what he could possibly do to make the UFC pay him more"

"Now, I do not know what to do, do I need to get inside the cage and kill my opponent"

Learning a new language may not be easy but if you know it translates to big bucks because you got the fighting part down and you want those big bucks, try doing it before throwing your arms up in the air as if you're a victim of size discrimination.

its the ufc's job to market ufc's ppvs, iirc

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
franklin edgar ostensibly speaks english and he was a terrible draw. as was benson henderson. 156 with edgar/aldo did pretty bad even. aldo not fighting infrequently and having not super exciting fights against not super exciting fighters on not super exciting cards is hurting him more than not being able to speak english

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

How the hell did penn get everyone to care? He's like the only lw draw in history. I guess his fights with Hughes and gsp really made his name.

The american audience loves an overdog

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Like what?

There's no guaranteed formula to turn a winning champion into a draw people care about; if there was, the UFC would do it for everyone. They've done for Aldo what's worked for their champions that do draw; since it isn't working they certainly could and probably should try other things as well, but it's hard to put blame on them for Aldo not drawing well.

The only effective smaller gentleman marketing was calling bj penn the greatest of all time for 10 years despite it not being true the entire time. They havent banged they drum for any of the other wee fellas, and none of them have been draws.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm just saying if he thinks changing his boxing style after X weeks is bad, why isn't changing it after X years even worse? But yeah I agree the best course of action here isn't to jump on the train right before it hits a curve doing 300.

changing and evolving your style after many years is an important part of growing and developing as a fighter. trying to do it in two years is a reasonable undertaking. changing your style to not bend your legs because bending your legs makes you too tired is perhaps not a wise change to make. but like. he completely bought into that style. the change process itself was undertaken successfully. its just that in this case it was the dumbest possible change to make.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ok. so you are getting tuckered out from your current fighting style. we are going to completely retool your game to avoid having that happen. what we are going to do is: make you stop trying.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
new fighting style: sort of lean up against the cage resting on your right arm, and constantly ask the ref if its hot in here, or is it just me

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bj is back and more motivated than ever! and also he doesn't want to bend his legs, because that's too much work. his level of fierceness may never be matched

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

BJ's standup style was pretty obviously a bad idea, but I feel like people's fixation on it has obscured the main difference between their second match and this one. Sure, the close-together stance had him getting beaten on the feet, but he got beat on the feet before - the major difference here was in the second match when Frankie got BJ down, BJ mostly kept him off balance and was able to use his guard to get back to his feet the way he always has. In this one, when Frankie got BJ down, that was pretty much it - he was down there getting elbowed up for the duration.

i didn't watch the fight. instead i just read the interview where the coach said that bending his legs made bj too tired.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
without watching the fight i would say that bj not being able to get up was a combination of frankie being able to get deeper on his shots and land in a better position for top control, improved top control from frankie, and bj not wanting to tucker himself out.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Aurain posted:

What would the response from the Athletic Commission to the UFC proposing an inter-gender bout be?
I have no doubt that the AC would say absolutely not and refuse them, but would they take punitive action for asking something so ridiculous?

e: Clarified question

"no"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

What year do y'all think fights of import will just cease altogether because the injury recovery windows all reach critical mass

2012 iirc

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Aurain posted:

I don't know if it was front page TMZ, but TMZ have had their fair share of breaking MMA scandal stories.

Tmz reports kimo is dead

Kimo holds a press conference assuring everyone he is alive

Tmz stands by their original story

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Scapegoat posted:

This kind of sucks, if they hit Chael worse than Wandi it's going to encourage people to run away from tests.

chael has previous failures.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i'd rather see vitor in relevant fights, but i don't know who is a relevant fight for him. what ended up even happening with his last application for a licence?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Nibbles141 posted:

Yeah, true. Think how much of a big deal the Pride Grand Prix were, or how much attention the Strikeforce one got though.

Would make a Fox main event more marketable if it was for a tournament position rather then to see who's "in the mix" at whatever weightclass. Might draw in the casual viewer. Good way to keep a weightclass moving with a champ out too.

the strikeforce tournament didn't lead to a spike in attendance, or viewership. diaz had two fights that did better business during the tournament, and the final was a miserable failure. tournaments don't drive interest, caesar gracie fight team drives interest

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i would suspect that cub and donald are boys, also

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Cerrone and Guillard were buds too and he wrecked him all the same. I definitely wouldn't want that fight if I was Cub though, that guy deserves his shot.

guillard and cerrone were sort of friends, but guillard split with jackson waay before that fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i'm not gonna be able to see the fight and its the most disappointed i've been in a long rear end time

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
fitch broke a lot of people in similar manners, but a lot of the time it was dudes without any hype, and a lot of the time they didn't threaten as much as silva did in the first

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
overeem gassed when he was much smaller and lighter. we shall have to see about this.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

When he was cutting to LHW or after he moved to heavyweight but before he started horseracing?

all times.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
what people were impressed with in the hendricks fight was robbie's defense, which was always good, but was really fantastic. also his "improved wrestling" which had been discussed for 10 years, and never actually improved all that much

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

attackmole posted:

I might just be *sour grapes*-ing it, but I suspect they typically stack Vegas cards way harder than Canadian cards so saying "ugh they moved all these good fights to Vegas" is kind of a false equivalence.

actually the biggest fight of all time, GPS vs Jakey Jake, occurred in Tronna. featuring no less than two members of mississauga fight team, forgotten caesar gracie fighter daniel roberts, and a pile of other unimportant people. more stacked than ufc 100.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
unless the ref is relentless on jones for eye pokes tiny lil dc will have a lot of trouble with the distance, particularly as the fight goes on

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It couldn't be more of a brazilian excuse. It's a perfect exemplar of the denial-soaked mysticisms that dummies with no humility or self-awareness cough up on the regular.

The fight was never close and the reason "I CANT REMEMBER FAILURE" is because he got murked about the head and chest non-stop for half an hour by a teen dynamo who saw through his one dimensional skills and had the perfect gameplan to punish them.

"i lost the fight because he hit me really hard" doesn't really compare to don't want to gently caress my wife, had to fly victor class, or severe jungle fever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

Big Nog complained that he had to ride coach, and the lack of an extra 1/2 inch of leg room hosed up his back against Roy if I'm not mistaken.

The king of plane excuses, though, is Nick "Toxic Water" Diaz.

diaz had plane water, and also: missed weight by 9 pounds due to the ocean

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
doctor said i forgot to breathe

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
you will recall that frederick the roach jr. clearly stated that nick diaz is a terrible boxer, and that bj penn is the greatest boxer in mma. and then bj cried.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i don't think you need insider info to suspect that breaking your shin in half might mess with your brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i finally got to see the fights and rogerio getting dominated was really funny

• Locked thread