Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

His dieting stuff does have some merit, but it's not anything different than what a lot of other people are saying. The thing is, most people don't have the willpower to stick to something so strict by themselves. When they hire a guy like Dolce, he takes over their diet entirely. He manages everything going in the fighter, which makes it pretty easy to ensure they're eating well and eating things that will aid in a cut. I used to work with a pro-natural body builder whose diet and cutting regimen was almost exactly what Dolce's was, but he had the willpower and drive to manage it himself with his wife which I'm guessing a lot of fighters don't.

Most of it is pretty straightforward, too. I helped a friend hit a weight loss goal just by having her follow three weeks til shredded pretty loosely. The advice amounts to "plan your meals, don't eat poo poo, think twice about what you eat, and don't eat a retarded amount of food." I think that where he earns his keep is by taking over every dietary choice for the fighter so that they can't gently caress it up themselves by going to a carnival and eating a whole pizza. I suppose if a fighter is worried about missing weight, and he keeps them from doing that, he has essentially saved 20% (20%?) of their purse. If a fighter is worried about a horrible water weight cut that leaves them drained and at a greater risk of a loss, he's protecting 50% of their purse money. In either case it's superstitious reasoning, though.

Some of the "research" that he posts on his website is just the worst kind of naturalistic fallacy-driven bullshit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rampage is the exact sort of guy to take the light snacks that Dolce suggests that you can have once per day and turn them into the only thing that he eats.

If I remember right, this was during his Glover camp:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChampRamp posted:

Mike Dolce just gives guys drugs

See, I've been wondering that lately between his crazy powerlifter background and his close ties with "trt for everyone" Sonnen and Rogan. I feel like some of the weight cuts and performance increases that he's been associated with can't be explained with coconut oil and egg white omelettes.

Though I'm also straining to think of any fighter he's been promoted as embedding with who has shown a meaningful performance increase. Nik Lenz, despite the hype train, still strikes me as mediocre. Not sure when he started working with Hendricks and to what extent he can take credit for his successes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just started thinking about the Rousey-Davis matchup in detail: Davis is the highest-ranked grappler that Rousey has ever fought in MMA (Kaufman is and was a brown belt, blue belt Carmouche took her back), she's tough, and loves to trade leather. She's not likely to get folded with a knee the way McMann did, and Rousey (who doesn't react well to being punched) is probably not going to want to trade with her.

Is Davis perhaps more of a live long-shot underdog than the odds are giving her credit for?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Unless Davis has a Matt Brown ability to fight through a liver shot, I don't think there's evidence in saying Alexis wouldn't get dropped like McMann.

I like her and I like her tiny mascot buddy, Chompers, but I still think Ronda's probably got a 80% chance of winning.

Also, why would you not count Tate amongst the grapplers Rousey has faced?

Didn't count Tate because I didn't see it listed anywhere that she actually has any belt in BJJ. With a bit more effort I found that she has a purple belt. A far cry (on paper) from Davis's black belt.

I'm not sure if Davis can be compared to Matt Brown, but McMann isn't exactly Matt Brown either, and Rousey isn't Erik Silva. Davis has certainly better demonstrated that she can keep her poo poo together while taking shots, which I've never seen McMann do (though I haven't seen all of her fights).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-Atom- posted:

I took a gander at that Fight Night card when the Thatch replacement came in and yeah, it's surprisingly an above average card.

Somehow I missed the Maia announcement too, or maybe it's just a symptom of all this got dang MMA we can't even retain cool rear end matchups like that one.

I think it was just announced today.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

I had no idea thatch was fighting alves and am now sad it's not going to happen.

He wasn't. Thatch is the replacement for Alves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

How has he improved his striking? KOing lovely fighters then reverting to wrestling as soon as he fought a competent fighter is basically meaningless in terms of improving enough from total death to surviving against aldo. On top of that even wrestling, his main poo poo, he didn't show a great gas tank. Hes as hosed against aldo as he ever was. I dont see any meaning in KOing Cody Mckenzie

Consider that he only T/KO'd two of his first 11 opponents before he fought Aldo (with only one finish in his six zuffa fights), and he has T/KO'd four of the five he has fought since then. I think that's good evidence of improved striking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That 175/176 turnaround is insane and I want to see it. Amanda Nunes seems like a good candidate.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I kinda hope that Herrig gets smashed in the first round and then spends the rest of the season flouncing around in various costumes. We haven't had any superhero cosplay since Season 10.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I decided that I wanted to respond to that with a picture but now I think that I'm going crazy: didn't an eliminated fighter on season 10 paint himself green and start running around pretending to be the Hulk?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is BJ and Frankie's total fight time of 64:16 the most for any pair of ufc fighters? (Frankie + Gray = 58:54)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sprecherscrow posted:

The fights didn't take place in the UFC, but Melendez and Thomson are at 75:00

Right. Sakuraba and Royce have 90:00, too. No aspect of that fight will ever be seen again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keith Mars posted:

Gil intimates that in this interview. Bellator made the initial offer and the UFC matched it.

Nothing wrong with getting paid, the UFC could have always just let him walk.

Agreed. I don't get why fans sometimes get their noses bent out of shape when a fighter insists on getting paid. The UFC seems to agree that he was worth it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

The american audience loves an overdog

Only if the overdog is american.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My best guess, given how the previous fights went and how Frankie's subsequent losses played out, is that BJ adopted the high MT stance to counter Frankie's movement with low kicks that he never ended up throwing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I thought that they had already announced that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

That's what I was wondering before, is it just going to be the library or will we be able to watch live cards on Fight Pass in the future?

The twitter feeds confirm that they'll be broadcasting live events.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

I'm fairly sure I've seen Holm one shot someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXB9-L2kwtU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah I was having this exact thought. I'm sure it isn't impossible with the right physical attributes and instruction but woo boy does it seem impossible to stop Ronda from taking you down. Miesha did well, and then she didn't, and ended up on her back on a whole bunch anyway.

Yep, avoid the clinch at all costs, stay outside. Evasive footwork and an authoritative jab are would be useful vs Rousey. When she loses it may look like a Dominick Cruz fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

How is Miriam Nakomoto's knee these days? That could be a decent fight for Cyborg to test the waters at 135.

Right after her injury there was talk that she might be done for good, seeing as this isn't her first trip around the serious knee injury block.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's a ton of talk about a non-ufc specific MMA HOF - it makes the rounds on the blogs every six to eight months - but why the hell doesn't someone just loving do it by getting a panel of a few dozen former fighters, coaches, and journalists on an email chain to vote on inductees? Get a website set up to start up and figure out the physical hall and award presentations once the ball gets rolling. Do a kickstarter to get enough money to buy inaugural plaques for Royce, Fedor, and Sakuraba.

The only obstacle I can think of is that the press are scared that the UFC might blacklist them for participating in a "there's more to MMA than just UFC" institution.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MassRafTer posted:

It's a ton of work to do it right even without a physical hall. This is basically what Meltzer did for wrestling with the Observer Hall of Fame and it took a lot of work. Granted he had to go through 150 years of history, but with MMA there's still a decent amount of history. You had Vale Tudo in Brazil dating back 80 years, at some points being a huge cultural institution, you have certain kinds of Vale Tudo fights in Japan dating back to the 1800s and probably other similar histories elsewhere. Then you have to figure out what to do about fights in groups like Pancrase or RINGS where it's not so clear what was fake.

I'm actually kind of rolling this around in my head a bit as I actually have the professional skills to do it, experience with committees, quite a bit of free time, a sense of adventure, and enough of an aspergers-like personality to possibly do it.

What I actually imagine is a system in which the voting members nominate as per a set of eligibility rules, and then any fighter who gets a 66% affirmative from the panel gets inducted - which is generally how baseball's works.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

See, the point of doing it is something that I'd need to think about, and what the criteria happen to be. Are there a sufficient number of individuals who have made significant contributions to the sport, either as fighters or otherwise (coaches, broadcasters - not tshirt guys) whose achievements occurred outside of the Zuffa umbrella. Will that continue going forward? Is there any point to doing this if it is, as was said "UFC HOF + Sakuraba and Fedor"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yes, kinda like that, but I think the model works better for a HOF than for a title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Makovsky might be pretty close to a title eliminator too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The tricky thing with Jones's reach is that he has set up his striking game to have more than one layer to his "inside" - it's not a matter of slipping the long punch and smothering his strikes, because then you have that whole blender of elbows to deal with. Because of that and the height differential I kind of expect Cormier to be coming in really low on Jones's legs, or at least under his centre of gravity, moreso than trying to Fedor his way into a clinch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if it's the people who he has to talk to when coming back from Toronto, that would be the American border guards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's no way that Diaz ends up getting Forrested. He doesn't swing or charge in the way that sets up that kind of counter. It's unlikely that he's going to end up losing in that "deer in the headlights" way that Okami and Bonnar did (standing still and looking confused until getting ktfo), because (like Weidman) he keeps constant pressure on. Also no way that Anderson would be foolish enough to put his back to the fence against Nick Diaz. That'd be almost as ridiculous as handing Maia your back just for something to do.

If Anderson pulls out some classic "Anderson" against Diaz it'll probably look like Franklin II in which Diaz gets progressively cracked through a series of exchanges and counters and that way gets worn down over the course of a round or two before a tko. Plus leg kicks. The question is, as was said above, does 40 year-old Anderson still have the reflexes to do that to Diaz?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trast posted:

At the time of the fight I thought his corner was really letting him down by not throwing in the towel for him.

That's the problem with these guys who get hyped up around an idea of "knockout power" - even their corners keep thinking that they can still win the fight, even if they're too busted up to know which blurry image they should be throwing their punches at.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

And I don't even mean that like I think Diaz would beat Anderson but people keep mentioning leg kicks like 1. it hasn't been established that they were never really a big part of his arsenal and 2. He is literally probably scared of them now

Low kicks are of note here moreso because the Diaz brothers both have been frustrated by them in the past than because of anything to do with Silva himself. It's hard to say if Silva's scared of them. Yes, you'd have to be crazy to not hesitate to throw a low kick after a leg break like that, but you would have to be crazy to do literally everything we have ever seen Anderson Silva do, beginning with getting into a cage for a full-contact fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Despite the sketchiness of Onnit's scientifish products (for the person who is health conscious enough to insist on hemp protein powder which has about the same prot per serving as skim milk to avoid dairy, but who will chog down on an unregulated 'brain chemical' to 'improve performance') kettlebells shaped like gnarly ape heads are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Chael Sonnen has only one way to fight says Wanderlei Silva :rolleye:

I'd love to see that Metamoris fight though.

Wanderlei would throw punches, get DQ'd and then proclaim victory for "Bhazeel".

• Locked thread