Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

canoshiz posted:

I know it's a PR move and all but it still sucks that he got canned from an announcing position where it doesn't matter what kinda roids he's pumping into himself. He even formally announced his retirement from competition and everything.

Wonder what this means for his Metamoris appearance.

Having that position makes him a face of both FOX and UFC and they don't want a guy with three drug failures in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BlindSite posted:

Chael nooooooo

I don't really get this decision by the Fox or the UFC. The dudes officially retired. Its not as if it was really in disgrace either. He was pretty open and forthright from the beginning about his PED use in the general public, even if behind the scenes he was trying to sell the commission a bridge.

When you retire because you get caught doing PEDs (including HGH) after repeated public lies that you were doing PEDs for non cheating purposes you retired in disgrace. There are few more disgraceful ways to retire than because you constantly cheated and got caught.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Chael might go the Rich Franklin OneFC route where he infiltrates joins another MMA organization and helps them out, but Chael probably has a lot of love for Zuffa since they made him rich & gave him many opportunities to fight for a world title. I wouldn't expect him to help out their biggest competitor.

Then again that describes Randy Couture and that didn't stop Randy from turning his back on the company when Viacom money was put on the table.

Randy had also turned his back on the company multiple times.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Romero posted:

is cain ever fighting again

This fall in Mexico City against Werdum.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I'm shocked that an AKA fighter is taking a selfie with George W. Bush.

I'm shocked an AKA fighter is healthy enough to stand.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Barao will probably do better if he doesn't cut stupid amounts of weight. That won't be enough to completely bridge the gap, but I can buy him having a better chance in a rematch if he cuts a reasonable amount.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aurain posted:

You shouldn't get an instant rematch if you got hosed up for 5 rounds and then knocked out, regardless of how good of a champion you were.

I want TJ to win for that reason more than any other.

Why not? Barao was a dominant fighter and the only other challenger is a guy no one cares about and TJ should have his win over him anyway. He's the #1 ranked guy and they might sell a few more PPVs off the rematch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bulging Nipples posted:

Because

That was about as decisive a beating as you can get. It wasn't a Frankie Edgar incredibly close fight situation, and it wasn't an Anderson Silva "was the knockout a fluke? let's find out woops nope, nope it wasnt" situation. It was a complete 5 round domination and then a knockout to cap it off. There's really nothing that TJ needs to prove immediately. I'd love to see them fight down the line, but I'm sick of immediate rematches.

Anderson Silva was beaten for a round and a half and knocked out, the fluke was added in by people who for good reason couldn't believe Anderson got beaten that way. Tyson got a rematch with Holyfield, Couture got his heavyweight title fight with Sylvia coming off a KO loss in lower weight class (and a LHW title match after a loss for the heavyweight title) and plenty of other fights that were made because there wasn't another great opponent and the fight would draw better. UFC picked the higher ranked and slightly more marketable fighter, it's not some travesty. Is Barao's problem that he survived four rounds? If you lose in a round and a half does your great career then become a factor?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Kevin Iole bumped up UFC 174's numbers from 100k to 125k, meaning it is now only the 2nd worst MMA PPV of the year. we did it, congratulations

Mighty Mouse is calling Joe Silva trying to volunteer and save 176 and doesn't understand why he won't return his calls.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

-Atom- posted:

I've heard several journalists say that Barao was sick for the first fight so I'm just going to latch onto that idea and watch a TAM get killed in Sacramento

He had a really bad weight cut.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Trast posted:

He only has himself to blame given the insane amount of weight he cuts.

Absolutely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

Penn getting robbed became this weird media narrative in the wake of Doug Crosby's (pretty ludicrous) 50-45 Edgar scorecard and subsequent trolling of the Underground over that fact.

Way I remember it the fight was a really close, 48-47 either way kinda leaning Edgar sort of affair but I haven't rewatched it since.

Which round in the first fight was it ludicrous to think Edgar won? Every round was close.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi 35m
Dana White is interested in doing Kid Yamamoto vs. Urijah Faber.

For those of you who didn't watch, Faber said at the press conference he wants to get on that Japan card because it's always been a dream of his to fight in Japan. Looks like that Fight Pass card is going to move a few subscriptions. That's better than most of the cards they've put on Fox Sports 1 this year.

I remember when Kid Yamamoto vs Urijah Faber was kind of a dream match. That was a loooooong time ago. Don't be a dick Dana.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kurohashi posted:

The saddest part about all of this is if there was a Pulver/Penn rubber match I would have no clue who'd win at this point.

Pulver can only beat him at the crying game.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Geno Petralli posted:

Why are they using ceronne and miller on a fight night card when their stupid ufc 176 is apparently in shambles

No one is going to buy 176 for Cerrone vs Miller. They'll probably just can 176 if they can't come up with a real main event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

That's what I would like because that card is very very good aside from the no main event. It's a much stronger card than UFC 151 was when they had to cancel that. Mousasi/Jacare is a good rematch with title implications, Makovsky vs Formiga is another potential contender fight, and Bobby Green vs Abel Trujillo & Tony Ferguson vs Danny Castillo are pretty solid for entertaining fights.

So let's hope it either goes to FS1 or Fight Pass cause a cancellation would flat out suck.

Fight Pass might be the best option. I don't think you would want a main event-less show on FS1 because that card in LA is going to mean an empty house and that looks so bad on TV. On Fight Pass only the hardcore fans are seeing it so it doesn't really make the company look bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Have the drug tests from TUF come back yet? Corey Anderson had some hardcore gyno and I didn't see it on the show so I assume he cycled on hard right after and it would be so deliciously schadenfreude for him to piss (or lactate) hot.

Drug tests won't be back for weeks. If he had the gyno then he probably cycled off in time and didn't get on the drugs Chael initially failed for to kickstart his nuts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

Fatherdog, will Miller dismantle Cerrone?

Two years ago I would have bet my life on it but Jim looked like poo poo against Healy.

Jim's only weakness is herb.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

chuck wasn't actually that big of a PPV draw.

Chuck Liddell vs Rich Franklin drew 520,000 buys on Pay-Per-View.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

that was years ago when the floor wasn't 100k buys

The floor was ~250,000 that year. It was a fantastic number for a show with no title fight, where Rich was only in one episode of TUF leading up to it, the card was weak and it came in the middle of two other gigantic cards. There's plenty of Chuck shows that did great business but that one always stands out because he was so clearly done in a fight that was thrown together and still drew.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I'm not doubting he moved PPV's, but iirc Machida came out of nowhere to win the title at 98 and did like 600k buys. Because there were fewer cards and just a fraction of TV cards, I think it was easier to get people to buy PPV's. UFC 99 was a pretty poo poo card in terms of star power from top to bottom and it got 350k buys.

Machida/Evans also had Serra/Hughes on it and that fight was a huge grudge match. Rashad is also one of the bigger draws in UFC history who gets overlooked in these kind of discussions. Machida/Rampage with Hughes/Penn III didn't do as well as Liddell/Franklin. (None of this is to say Machida didn't do pretty well for himself on PPV and probably did well last weekend.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

nah that had to be 95% GSP and 5% Machida vs Couture. That was Aldo's first fight in UFC and his WEC PPV did 150k. He didn't add much at all to UFC 129's buyrate. However, it was an immensely cool fight and I genuinely thought it was gonna be the fight to make Aldo a star. But then nothing happened and he got injured a lot.

The Jake Shields truth movement is coming to lay down on you. (Shields was featured in a really cool ad for that show so maybe he meant something. Probably less than hype for "The biggest UFC event ever in a sold out Skydome."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Reem vs Rothwell on the CT card

I am so excited for that card.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tim why don't you go on TUF. I know they don't allow rascals in the house but you'll manage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Nah it's not just you most people think interim titles are horseshit. however 9 months is a little drastic. Fighters are going to get hurt no matter what and at 9 months you'd see the title stripped after every other defense. I'd pin it between 1 year to 18 months personally. 2 years+ for Cruz was obviously too much.

With 9 months you could agree to do TUF and then sprain your wrist and "whoops stripped!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Agreed.

I was looking forward to the Johnson vs Thomson fight a whole lot. I like Bobby Green's potential but I think he's gonna be in over his head against Thomson. Whoever they feed to Abel Trujillo is most likely hosed.

Also, Jose Aldo owns:
[/url]

I've been dying for some good trash talk, thank you Scarface.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Where will they find a big enough can to feed to Carano? This is all for the purpose of a fraudulent superfight with RR, so how can they be sure of making this convincing, given how far WMMA has moved and how Gina has almost assuredly not been training?

If they sign Carano it is going to cost so much they'd pretty much have to do Carano/Rousey on a show this fall.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

So I'm just getting into UFC and I have an important question: Is this Mark Hall guy from UFC 7 a nazi? And if not why does he keep heiling hitler?

I don't think he was a Nazi but he did get the poo poo kicked out of him by Ken Shamrock in a street fight. I believe what you are seeing is a salute from his discipline?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
UFC inducting whoever they want is fine with me because they don't act like it is a big deal. They give a guy wearing street clothes a plaque he says some stuff and people at the Expo clap. Then he gets to charge more for autograph shows because he is a UFC Hall of Famer. Plus they inducted two of our favorite fighters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Can you imagine how impossibly poo poo the UFC hall of fame would be if it worked the way baseball's does

I can imagine all of the articles on Fight Opinion. It'd be really funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CommonShore posted:

There's a ton of talk about a non-ufc specific MMA HOF - it makes the rounds on the blogs every six to eight months - but why the hell doesn't someone just loving do it by getting a panel of a few dozen former fighters, coaches, and journalists on an email chain to vote on inductees? Get a website set up to start up and figure out the physical hall and award presentations once the ball gets rolling. Do a kickstarter to get enough money to buy inaugural plaques for Royce, Fedor, and Sakuraba.

The only obstacle I can think of is that the press are scared that the UFC might blacklist them for participating in a "there's more to MMA than just UFC" institution.

It's a ton of work to do it right even without a physical hall. This is basically what Meltzer did for wrestling with the Observer Hall of Fame and it took a lot of work. Granted he had to go through 150 years of history, but with MMA there's still a decent amount of history. You had Vale Tudo in Brazil dating back 80 years, at some points being a huge cultural institution, you have certain kinds of Vale Tudo fights in Japan dating back to the 1800s and probably other similar histories elsewhere. Then you have to figure out what to do about fights in groups like Pancrase or RINGS where it's not so clear what was fake.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Saku fought in the UFC.

It's where he won his only title :(

loving New Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
12 year old Chad Money was already well on his way to being a member of TAM.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

Goon hate aside, who other than Saku, Fedor, and...err..yeah that's about it would belong in a HoF?

Probably Helio, Carlson and maybe a couple other early Vale Tudo fighters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That didn't have any/much fights in the UFC? Or just any fighter? First I would look at past champions, Pulver, BJ Penn, GSP, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira

Maybe
Murilo Bustamante, Jeremy Horn, Vitor Belfort, Pedro Rizzo, Bas Rutten, Mirko Filipovic, Maurício Rua

Many of these names will be in the HoF in the coming years.

Vitor Belfort's non UFC fights are an argument to keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You can replace Anderson with Chris Weidman and Royce with Anyone Else too.

Replacing Royce or Anderson would be pretty crazy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Not really. Wandy could be on everything Chael is on and more. I don't see how what Chael did was worse at all.

Chael is on his third drug test failure, this will be treated like Wandy's first. The penalty for your 2nd and 3rd is always worse than the first.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Okay, well if you're combining them, but I was speaking as if they were (theoretical first-time) individual offenses.

This isn't theoretical, Chael has failed three drug tests and lied about the first two. The commission needs to come down hard on him, harder than Wanderlei who can only be considered a first time offender. In every sport subsequent offenses are treated more harshly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

tl;dr for the following post - Miesha Tate saved Bryan Caraway's asthmatic mom's life by some quick thinking despite Caraway's protest at her methods.

Jesus Caraway is a terrible corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bean Fried posted:

So, Fox (not FS1), will be airing the later Prelims before the next Fox show, for the first time ever. Obviously, you'd think the UFC would decide to capitalize on this by putting on some truly stacked prelims to capitalize on this extended opportunity to grab some new fans. Unfortunately:

UFC on Fox 12
Anaheim, CA
July 26
Main Card on Fox (8 PM Eastern):
• WW Title Eliminator: Matt Brown vs. Robbie Lawler
• LHW: Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
• FW: Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida
• LW: Bobby Green vs. Josh Thomson

Prelims also on Fox (6 PM Eastern):
• LW: Daron Cruickshank vs. Jorge Masvidal
• LHW: Patrick Cummins vs. Kyle Kingsbury
• WW: Tim Means vs. Hernani Perpetuo
• FW: Mike De La Torre vs. Brian Ortega

Prelims on FightPass (about 4 PM Eastern):
• LW: Akbarh Arreola vs. Tiago dos Santos
• FW: Noad Lahat vs. Steven Siler
• LW: Gilbert Burns vs. Andreas Stahl
• WSW: Juliana Carneiro Lima vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Main card's solid, nothing mindblowing.

For the televised prelims though, only Masvisal vs. Cruickshank really makes sense here, and even that is questionable as a lead in to such an important main card. Patrick Cummins vs Kingsbury might be passable as the opener, you're never ever going to get me to care about Tim Means, and I have no idea who the gently caress Mike De La Torre or Brian Ortega are.

Also, as an aside, Jedrzejczyk is pretty loving badass. The only reason she's not ranked by anyone is because she's been fighting at FLW until now. Check out her fight with Rosi Sexton, Jedrzejczyk hits hard as gently caress for her size.

Fox loves Cruickshank so it makes sense he's there.

• Locked thread