Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DupaDupa posted:

Andy Dalton removed AJ Green from more games than opposing cornerbacks.

That's not true at all. Joe Haden in particular has Green's number but he also struggles against other great CBs. Dalton's passer rating is actually noticeably worse when targeting Green. Green has a nasty tendency, as well, to make no effort to break up a pass when the CB has a better angle.

I mean, it's me. If Green was really a top ten player in the NFL I'd think he was somehow the negative second best player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

wheez the roux posted:

uhhh, brees being in his twilight years is the main reason they loving shouldn't let him walk because graham is probably their biggest weapon

They're not going to, he'll prob get 2-year, $20m to start with.

And lol @ thinking he's anything but a TE.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 3, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Graham is basically a giant WR, he hardly ever plays in-line and he can't block worth a drat.

But I also think Brees and Payton loving made him and if he leaves the Saints then whoever pays market premium for him will have serious buyer's remorse before long.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm not entirely comfortable saying he should be in a higher pay class because of skills he doesn't have, though.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grozz Nuy posted:

Graham is basically a giant WR, he hardly ever plays in-line and he can't block worth a drat.

But I also think Brees and Payton loving made him and if he leaves the Saints then whoever pays market premium for him will have serious buyer's remorse before long.

And the one time an actual CB covered him, how did he do?

Although I 100% agree with your second point. It's not like Payton and Brees didn't have insane success before Graham arrived, either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

And the one time an actual CB covered him, how did he do?

The one time you remember, or are there only a few 'actual' corners in the league? He and all receiving tight ends worth anything get covered by corners pretty regularly.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

The one time you remember, or are there only a few 'actual' corners in the league? He and all receiving tight ends worth anything get covered by corners pretty regularly.

There was like a six year period where Champ Bailey lined up on Gates every snap of every San Diego/Denver game.

Good TEs get CBs

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
do you recognize this handsome gentleman?

http://imgur.com/NoZLCpn

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 3, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I was wondering what ever happened to Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I was wondering what ever happened to Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

HOW RUDE

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

You know I love you ;)

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Grittybeard posted:

He and all receiving tight ends worth anything get covered by corners pretty regularly.

This is true. A little under 30% of the routes that Jimmy ran last season were against cornerbacks. In fact, here is a complete listing of every snap of the 2013 season where Jimmy Graham was covered by a CB. As expected, it's a mixed bag of results. There were games where corners completely shut him down, but there were others that were less bleak.

Does that make him a wide receiver? I don't know. I just want him back in New Orleans, hopefully for a long time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Thanks to what happened to Jimmy Graham, someone was smart enough to change their Twitter bio:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jimmy Graham would probably be a pretty great WR if he moved over full time, although he would be limited by his speed like all the big freak TEs.

This was a stupid decision by the arbitrator considering positions are nebulous terms at best and the game is constantly changing to include new ones.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll never understand why TEs are so cheap.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Son. Brother. Dad. Family man. Football is my job, not my life. RT =/= endorsement. Think I play TE? That's a block, fucker

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
What position do I play? Power forward *dunks football over goalpost* I love Sport and to be Paid

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Visionary. Thought Leader. Maker. I do not follow back. League's only player/coach/all around boss. Tweet "Omaha" at me and you're blocked.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I don't know what is going on right now...and it scares me.

:ohdear:

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

football fuckerman posted:

What position do I play? Power forward *dunks football over goalpost* I love Sport and to be Paid

this guy gets it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK let's talk football. We want you to be able to beat linebackers, safeties and corners in coverage. We want you to line up at x and y, in the slot, on the line, and occasionally play a little fullback. We want you to block DEs too, by the way, that's cool right? You'll be on the field approximately 100% of the time. Exciting, right? On the perfect play you get slammed by a lineman at the LOS, then release (You can release, can't you?) and make a catch in the middle of the field with about 5 guys coming at you looking to knock the ball loose. Sounds fun, am I right?

Oh, physically you need to be one of the tallest guys on the field but also real fast. I hope you don't mind concussions.

Now, let's talk compensation. We need you to be like 50% stud OL and 50% stud WR, so how does 50% of their pay sound?

No, you misunderstand, 50% of their pay, not 50% of both their pay. I could see how you'd make that mistake. Coincidentally, the other 31 teams are making the same offer. Look you say collusion we say happy coincidence.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
In terms of base compensation, Gronk (arguably the best TE in football) has a base salary of $3,750,000 in 2014. Stevie Johnson has a base salary of $3,650,000. :stare:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

I don't know what is going on right now...and it scares me.

:ohdear:

It's a bad gimmick troll.

Shath Hole posted:

In terms of base compensation, Gronk (arguably the best TE in football) has a base salary of $3,750,000 in 2014. Stevie Johnson has a base salary of $3,650,000. :stare:

Isn't Gronk still playing his rookie deal?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

OK let's talk football. We want you to be able to beat linebackers, safeties and corners in coverage. We want you to line up at x and y, in the slot, on the line, and occasionally play a little fullback. We want you to block DEs too, by the way, that's cool right? You'll be on the field approximately 100% of the time. Exciting, right? On the perfect play you get slammed by a lineman at the LOS, then release (You can release, can't you?) and make a catch in the middle of the field with about 5 guys coming at you looking to knock the ball loose. Sounds fun, am I right?

Oh, physically you need to be one of the tallest guys on the field but also real fast. I hope you don't mind concussions.

Now, let's talk compensation. We need you to be like 50% stud OL and 50% stud WR, so how does 50% of their pay sound?

No, you misunderstand, 50% of their pay, not 50% of both their pay. I could see how you'd make that mistake. Coincidentally, the other 31 teams are making the same offer. Look you say collusion we say happy coincidence.

Noted blocker jimmy graham.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Noted blocker jimmy graham.

Exactly, which is an even bigger argument to just call him a WR. Jimmy Graham has not nor will he ever do this:

That's Gronkowski laying Suggs out like a rookie.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

They locked him up to 2018/2019 if they exercise an option on him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, he signed a 6 year deal in 2012. I guess I never really paid attention to how little TE's got paid because there is so few of them I would consider elite or top level talent as opposed to WR's.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was going to come bitch about the Saints treatment of Graham but it looks like this is probably the only way that they were going to keep him on the roster this season. They have almost no cap mobility without renegotiating something. Brees and those two guards are just killing them.

So yeah Graham is gone next year. Also he's pretty easily a top 10 WR in the game and should be paid as such.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

How is Gronk's base salary 3.75m for this year while Gates' is 5m? Did Gronk take a more team friendly deal?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How is Gronk's base salary 3.75m for this year while Gates' is 5m? Did Gronk take a more team friendly deal?

Yeah, it's heavily backloaded. Gronk got a new contract the minute he hit his 3rd year to secure a solid signing bonus, so is relatively cheap until like 2016.

So did Aaron Hernandez for that matter. :v:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think the guidelines that the arbiter used were pretty logical, but the distance was a bit weird. The idea was that a guy is lined up as a "tight end" if he is in a position to potentially do all of the jobs called upon from the position. The distinction functionally is going to be pass protection- if you're plausibly in position to pass block, you're lined up as a tight end.

But then he picked a distance of 4 yards of the tackle, which is way too wide for pass protection and now plausibly slot receivers could be defined as tight ends. :confuoot:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think the guidelines that the arbiter used were pretty logical, but the distance was a bit weird. The idea was that a guy is lined up as a "tight end" if he is in a position to potentially do all of the jobs called upon from the position. The distinction functionally is going to be pass protection- if you're plausibly in position to pass block, you're lined up as a tight end.

But then he picked a distance of 4 yards of the tackle, which is way too wide for pass protection and now plausibly slot receivers could be defined as tight ends. :confuoot:

So then for bubble screens, are the two receivers who are blocking considered tight ends? :v: This whole thing is so stupid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Gronk was a 2nd round pick in 2010, and he signed a long-term deal before anyone realized how loving amazing he was, including himself. He kinda got screwed, I think.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, it's heavily backloaded. Gronk got a new contract the minute he hit his 3rd year to secure a solid signing bonus, so is relatively cheap until like 2016.

So did Aaron Hernandez for that matter. :v:

I need to go look at his loving deal...

ESPN posted:

All-Pro Rob Gronkowski agreed Friday to a six-year, $53 million extension with the New England Patriots, the richest contract for a tight end in NFL history.

The six-year deal includes $16.5 million guaranteed. There is a $10 million option -- if exercised by the Patriots in 2015 -- that would extend the deal through '19.

Yeah, nevermind, he was the highest paid TE in history at one point. 8.8 m/y.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 3, 2014

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Shath Hole posted:

So then for bubble screens, are the two receivers who are blocking considered tight ends? :v: This whole thing is so stupid.

They don't seem to be counting what the player is actually doing, just their positioning on the field. In practice Jimmy Graham was only pass blocking like 5% of the Saints attempts to throw the ball, they're just counting that he spent > 50% of his snaps within 4 yards of the Tackle.

I think the issue is potentially someone like Randall Cobb- It's quite possible he's within 4 yards of the tackle that frequently, and he's someone who might potentially get tagged next offseason.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

They don't seem to be counting what the player is actually doing, just their positioning on the field. In practice Jimmy Graham was only pass blocking like 5% of the Saints attempts to throw the ball, they're just counting that he spent > 50% of his snaps within 4 yards of the Tackle.

I think the issue is potentially someone like Randall Cobb- It's quite possible he's within 4 yards of the tackle that frequently, and he's someone who might potentially get tagged next offseason.

Do you think they would press that for someone like Cobb? That would be hilarious and tragic if they found that he was inside the 4 yards for >50% of the time and thus was considered a TE. Amazing how much of a difference in money 1 yard makes! :v:

Randall Cobb, GB - TE.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Shath Hole posted:

Do you think they would press that for someone like Cobb? That would be hilarious and tragic if they found that he was inside the 4 yards for >50% of the time and thus was considered a TE. Amazing how much of a difference in money 1 yard makes! :v:

Randall Cobb, GB - TE.

Just think of the fantasy implications!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Witten makes $7.5 mil this year :colbert:

Edit: entire contract is 5 year/37 mil, 13.5 gtd

Link

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 3, 2014

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Jerome Agricola posted:

Just think of the fantasy implications!

Combine WR/TE forever.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Combine WR/TE forever.

If your league doesn't just use 5 flex slots, they're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Combine WR/TE forever.

My fantasy league of 15 years has always done this. Graham was still a really high pick.

• Locked thread