Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Once the Minnesota Vikings' minicamp concluded last week, it meant rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater wouldn't have a team to practice with until the start of training camp on July 25. But Bridgewater still has a method for studying the Vikings' offense.

Bridgewater said last week he's imported the Vikings' playbook into his Madden NFL football game, which allows him to take "virtual reps" by practicing with the Vikings' offense against defenses he'd see in an actual game. He did the same thing in college, adding the Louisville Cardinals' playbook to a NCAA football video game for his Xbox, and he'll continue the practice in the NFL.

"It helps because you get one more rep than you had in practice, actual practice," he said. "Any chance you get to take an extra rep or go the extra step, extra mile, it's going to be very beneficial transferring it to the field."

EA Sports added a feature to its Madden video games several years ago that allows users to create their own playbooks, and the games have become realistic enough that it's not difficult to imagine players using them as a preparation tool. New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees said as much last fall, and Bridgewater wouldn't even be the first Minnesota athlete to make regular use of the practice; when he was pitching for the Minnesota Twins, Johan Santana used to study hitters' tendencies by playing as himself and facing them in a PlayStation game.

It's another case of life-imitates-art-imitates-life (or maybe life-imitates-leisure-imitates-life), but Bridgewater says it works for him.

"I try to take as many reps as I can, whether it's on a video game, playing EA Madden Football or in the playbook, just drawing it or just visualizing it in my head," Bridgewater said. "I try to just maximize every rep I can get and every opportunity that I can take."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TubeStank posted:

To contribute Rodgers and Jordy are the best QB / WR combo in the NFL over the past three seasons: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/06/30/packers-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-best-qb-wr-duo-in-nfl/

143.9 passer rating, jesus :stare:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chilichimp posted:

It's a bad gimmick troll.

What an age we live in where someone making good jokes gets called a bad gimmick troll.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is an open discussion forum where you can feel free to discuss football and football-related things and share opinions and joyful posts with each other without being constantly micromanaged. We call it the Football Funhouse, a place for friends.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's still amazing that Vinny's got a place on so many top 10 lists for QB stats.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
ESPN is doing a "most memorable plays" voting thing for each team. Here's the NFC North nominatons:

quote:

Green Bay:
  • "Ice Bowl" -- Bart Starr sneaks in from 1 yard to win '67 NFL Championship
  • Brett Favre hits Andre Rison for 54-yard TD in Super Bowl XXXI
  • Aaron Rodgers connects with Greg Jennings on 3rd-and-10 to clinch Super Bowl XLV

Detroit:
  • Calvin Johnson catches TD pass despite Cowboys' triple team
  • Barry Sanders breaks tackles on 47-yard TD run vs. Cowboys in '91 divisional playoffs
  • QB Dan Orlovsky accidentally runs out of the back of the end zone for a safety

Chicago:
  • William Perry scores TD in Super Bowl XX
  • Walter Payton breaks several tackles against Chiefs, gains 20 yards
  • Devin Hester opens Super Bowl XLI with TD return

Minnesota:
  • Gary Anderson misses 38-yard FG to seal '98 NFC title game vs. Falcons
  • Tommy Kramer throws TD pass to Ahmad Rashad with no time left to clinch Central Division
  • Tracy Porter intercepts Brett Favre with 19 seconds left in '09 NFC Championship Game

They couldn't find more than one memorable good plays for the Vikings? :laugh:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

Kind of shocked that they don't have "Antonio Freeman catches a dropped interception off his rear end and runs it into the endzone" for the Packers.

I would have put that one or Rodgers's touchdown to beat the Bears to the division championship last season as the third most memorable play for the Packers, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmyLLxRNcA

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Grittybeard posted:

Any other teams have two plays from one game? Two of the Chiefs options are from Super Bowl IV.

I'd say you could click the link on the left to see them but the NFL killed that video :argh:

e: The Rams do. Makers of the poll can't stand to watch more than a few games of football in Missouri. And I can't blame them. And all three Rams choices are from the 1999 season, ouch. You'd think you could work a Dickerson play in there or something.

I think those nominations were fan-submitted, so there's that...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Abugadu posted:

Packers' list should have included McCown to Poole.

edit: interesting note, McCown to Poole accidentally knocked the Cardinals out of the 1st pick of the 2004 draft. Instead of Eli Manning, they got Larry Fitz. Oh what history might have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL8S4G9zFK8

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'd keep watching until the quality of the game starts to decline but I absolutely wouldn't let my kids (or nephews) play.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Green Bay's numbers will go way up once Nelson and Cobb get their new contracts.

If they do.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheModernAmerican posted:

The American obsession with avoiding ties is so insane and only leads to weird, bizarre, and stupid overtime rules.

Agreed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Packers want to run 75 offensive plays a game this season.

Are you ready for some broken records?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

They're really not because it's not about his talent as a player. It's people who relate with him and are supporting him because he's a pioneer of sorts. It's bigger than football. I don't understand why TFF has such a hard time realizing why so many people care so much about Michael Sam.

You see, we appreciate the true depth and nuance of football.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How does suing a billion dollar football organization make Sandusky jokes hypocritical?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Grozz Nuy posted:

Lacy is overrated by Packers fans but he's not bad. His YPC is not astounding and obviously opposing defenses are focusing their attention on stopping Aaron Goddamn Rodgers, but he also has really bad run blocking to work around. I thought really poorly of him before the playoff game but after watching him fight hard for those yards I think he's solidly All Right.

I agree with the larger thrust of your point though. A lot of people go overboard with their 'RBs are worthless and interchangeable' stuff.

Rodgers was injured for most of Lacy's production last season, and the thing about his YPC is that he's been remarkably consistent. He brings that YPC without inflating it with many big runs. I expect him to be better (by how much I don't know) this season with Rodgers healthy.

When did a 4 YPC become bad anyway? Especially if he's actually getting 4 YPC instead of 1, -2, 8, 1, 40.

His big flaw is he's pretty bad at pass blocking so the Packers were forced to sub him out for other backs even though he wasn't tired. I think that's generally a pretty good idea though and Lacy/Starks is a nice change-up.

(To head this off, I agree with you that he's pretty All Right).

He deserves every last penny, and then I scroll further down and see that someone posted this exact sentiment.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hmm did Daltos ever advocate hitting women?

Doltos posted:

Now this isn't an argument of trying to figure out what's worse between domestic violence and taking drugs,

This does not excuse what he did to his wife,

Now, again, this does not excuse Rice for punching a woman,

Again, you should never hit a woman for any reason, especially if you are a NFL trained athlete,

So, don't hit women, that's obvious. Rice is a douche bag for doing it.

:eyepop:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Preventative measures? Like not marrying Ray Rice or more like taking escalators?

I think he means "not hitting Ray Rice".

Extensive disclaimer: I believe Ray Rice is scum and should have been suspended for the season.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vertical Lime posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Packers and Jordy Nelson have struck a deal. It’s a 4-year extension worth $39M, source says. Huge. $14.2M guaranteed.

#Packers WR Jordy Nelson averages $9.76M on his new deal, which is a large upgrade. He gets an $11.5M signing bonus. Well-deserved

Solid.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My Lord that hat Ted's wearing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Roethlisberger is unhappy with his contract. I wonder if the Steelers will want to bump his salary and extend the contract, or if they'll let him go after a couple years. Rooney's said he won't redo the contract this season.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DangerKat posted:

Does the list of successful first round picks by Ted Thompson start and end with Aaron Rodgers?

fake edit: Oh, Clay Matthews, too.

Honestly I just hope from now until Ted retires that he drafts an AJ Hawk every single draft for the first round. I'd be happy with that. Don't change anything else about his drafting, just find the safest player in the draft for the first round every time.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Those rules are ostensibly to make the game ~More Exciting~ for spectators but I honestly have to wonder if it's going to backfire when it's so goddamn easy to make a pass that it loses all of its thrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The preseason rules because you can be happy your team won a game, but indifferent if they lose. Unless:

SlipUp posted:

the 08 lions went 4-0 in the preseason

• Locked thread