Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:Game has gone to poo poo, don't bother.:siren:

https://www.playnether.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247730/

All of the games on the Steam page are all the same, but the Chosen pack gets $50 worth of gold. Gold in Nether is mostly used to buy cosmetic items so if you're a big barbie fanatic and have extra money go for it.

:siren::siren:SAME RULES AS THE LAST THREAD:siren::siren:

• Nether is out in beta, and on Early Access on Steam. Its very much work in progress. Don't bitch about the fact it shouldn't be on Steam. Its Early Access, you don't have to buy it!
  • Please don't go on about the War Z connection. They've tried to address it here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/247730/discussions/0/666824800538537248/) and regardless if they do or do not have any connection, it can be discussed elsewhere on the internet rather then making GBS threads up this thread and getting is closed like the original War Z thread. - Please.

Nether is another in the ever expanding, multiplayer open world survival horror game, genre. Think DayZ, but without zombies. Just... alien things (called Nethers!). They're basically zombies that can teleport. You start with nothing but a kitchen knife, and go around finding loot and defending yourself from the alien Nether thingys and other players. Turns out the other players are more of a threat then the aliens Nethers. Whoda thunk it? Its slow placed and deliberate.

Don't go expecting to live very long without some friends which you will have plenty of if you join the goon group. We literally have too many guns for our banks and we shower new players with gifts of end-game gear and power level to max in about ten minutes. Please take this poo poo from us.

• A large and vertical urban/city environment, where players can access nearly all of the buildings, including multi-story skyscrapers
  • A vast open plains area nearly twice the size of the city. Typically a lot safer out here.
  • First-person perspective creates a true survival experience
  • The need to fulfill a world objective, coupled with scarce resources encourages emergent and cooperative gameplay
  • Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
  • Survival needs, such as hunger and stamina that players will need to maintain to live
  • A variety of dangerous enemies with different skills and behaviors
  • New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
  • Safe zones that need to be defended from Nethers and where players can purchase, sell, trade and store items
  • Up to 64 players per game server
  • Single purchase, downloadable client allows full game access without subscription
  • Playable Nether

While all of these things are in the game, it being early access/beta means that some things are broken.

Things to do
  • Run boxes on the outskirts. This will get you a lot of money and xp fast.
  • Shoot Nether
  • Shoot other players and watch them get super mad.
  • More stuff soon. Maybe.

Get out of the city and head to the outskirts as fast as you can. Life is easy out in the nowhere.

Some things wrong with the game now.

• Collision is poo poo
  • Joining a server may lead to being stuck in spectator mode for up to 10 minutes or will just bug out forever
  • There is barely a menu. Its VERY basic
  • There's a lot more, but :effort:

Tribes

Tribes is a faction system that allows players to join one of eight groups of NPCs. There's really nothing different about them and there's no back story from what we've seen. The only bad thing about the Tribes system is if you kill another player in the same faction as you you'll lose reputation with that Tribe, and after killing three players in your tribe you'll be kicked from it. You get reputation for that tribe for just about everything you do and after getting enough you get bonus account xp and other things. There is territory control in Nether. Take over a couple of points on the map and your tribe will control the server. Every hour you control the server all members of that faction get ~$500 a hour and bonus xp for just about everything. It's very nice.

Goons joined Butter Knife Bandits because it seemed like it was the only one not named by a super spergy neckbeard nerd trying to take video gaems too seriously.

Look at how pretty that is. :swoon:

Survival Skills: A Guide to Player Upgrades in Nether
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191153502

You can either read this or deal with goons yelling stuff at you about not reading it when you ask a question. Whichever works.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS - Thanks LuciferMorningstar

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You can theoretically access your global inventory from anywhere, as you can mess with it on the character-select screen. The only disadvantages to that are the random spawn location and waiting in spectator mode.

If you find that it is impossible for you to switch weapons, send chats, or pick items up, it means the server is about to crash and there is nothing you can do. When the server does crash, it restores your character to a point in the past that will often make you lose weapons and levels.

You can block if you put a point in melee. It's totally worth it. You can block all frontal damage, which adds depth to melee combat.

Current Goon Hax Skill Tree

FOV Fix
1) Go to Nether\NetherGame\Config
2) Open NetherCamera.ini (also may want to try DefaultCamera.ini as well) and change...

(The default FOV should be 90 now, but a few people said it was 75 when they downloaded it.)

:siren: Apparently pushing it past 90 will get you Vac banned from Steam. Not sure if this is true but probably not worth testing. :siren:

Mouse Smoothing Fix
1) To disable Mouse Smoothing, go to your Nether directory at Nether\NetherGame\Config\NetherInput.ini
2) Find the line that says bEnableMouseSmoothing=True and change it to "False"
3) Save and start Nether

Mouse Sensitivity
1) To adjust Mouse Sensitivity, go to your Nether directory at Nether\NetherGame\Config\NetherInput.ini
2) Find the line that says MouseSensitivity=30.0 adjust the numbers (higher sensitivity, lower sensitivity)
3) Save and start Nether

Resolution
1) To manually set a custom resolution, go to your Nether Directory at Nether\NetherGame\Config\DefaultSystemSettings.ini
2) Find the line that says ResX and ResY. Change to desired resolution. (ie ResX=1920 ResY=1080)
(Note that, any other aspect ratio will not scale properly, unfortunately we do not have non-standard resolution support yet)

Keybinds
1)Customize some common keybinds manually by accessing your Nether directory at Nether\NetherGame\Config\NetherInput.ini
2)You can search current keybinds such as C for Crouch and replace that with another key.

Check out this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

Join Butter Knife Bandits. We go into empty servers sometimes to gain control of them for the xp and bonuses. If you're not BKB you won't help and we'll probably just kill you and take your stuff.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I'm in Netherwatch because I'm one of those sperglords. I guess you can change tribes at will so if I ever jump into a game with you guys, I'll switch.

I think, since I've accumulated so much junk, I'm going to start handing out guns to newbies. I need to clean out my global inventory. I'm in a good spot with a maxed out character right now. Also, I'm finding the items I actually want like ammo and food so anythingother than those I can use to become post-apocalypse Santa.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
My first five minutes in this game had me raiding some hick's trailer home. I dug a katana out of the grease and grime of the thing.

At least these guys have their item priorities straight.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I just logged in and there are fireworks going off in LSZ. Then my max level character died because I'm dumb.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Not sure if we needed another thread, but then again I didn't think other goons still played this. I guess it's nice to see people playing, especially with all the new folks from the Steam sale.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I loaded up Nether again after buying it and quickly quitting 9 months or so ago. It's still a piece of poo poo. At least the mandatory server menu does not lock up the computer for 10 minutes anymore. But here is a fun list of bullshit I've noticed in my 1.5 hours of play:

- Clunky motion controls and response time. The character is apparently swimming in syrup, because there is a massive lag between a keystroke and selected action. Jumping is just hilarious.
- Massive clipping and horrendous collision detection.
- Ankle deep in water turns my screen either blue or gray. Then I take random damage. Friendly people in chat suggested to stay out of water altogether.
- Underground is dark. Night is dark. Game has no gamma adjustment setting. Bad game.
- The new player tutorial was a nice touch, too bad there is no way to replay instructions or have a written list of things to do.
- I've crafted a shotgun of sorts out of a can, pistol grip and some twine. It obviously has no iron sights, but for fucks sake, aim it to the middle of the screen on right click or something. Because that zoom is really unnecessary.
- The USE key stopped working randomly, so no picking up items or looting containers until restart
- Friendly people in chat suggested to use melee for silent kills, as gunshots will attract more nether. The motherfucking nether scream like the sky is falling at first sign of trouble, attracting everything else for miles around. I've killed like 6 of those loving things in a row. Then something the size of an elephant teleported 2 feet away and killed me in 1 hit. I had 1275 health, but it didn't give a poo poo.
- Can't leave the game. After selecting the appropriate action, the menu overlay dissipates, while nothing else is happening. Forced to force quit. Twice I tried with the same result.
- As a bonus, 90% of people have NaM3Z L1eK tH1Z.

Can't believe I actually paid money for this. It's still an Alpha, not a finished product.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

Can't believe I actually paid money for this. It's still an Alpha, not a finished product.

Disposable income is a nice thing.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Nitrox posted:

I loaded up Nether again after buying it and quickly quitting 9 months or so ago. It's still a piece of poo poo. At least the mandatory server menu does not lock up the computer for 10 minutes anymore. But here is a fun list of bullshit I've noticed in my 1.5 hours of play:

- Clunky motion controls and response time. The character is apparently swimming in syrup, because there is a massive lag between a keystroke and selected action. Jumping is just hilarious.
- Massive clipping and horrendous collision detection.
- Ankle deep in water turns my screen either blue or gray. Then I take random damage. Friendly people in chat suggested to stay out of water altogether.
- Underground is dark. Night is dark. Game has no gamma adjustment setting. Bad game.
- The new player tutorial was a nice touch, too bad there is no way to replay instructions or have a written list of things to do.
- I've crafted a shotgun of sorts out of a can, pistol grip and some twine. It obviously has no iron sights, but for fucks sake, aim it to the middle of the screen on right click or something. Because that zoom is really unnecessary.
- The USE key stopped working randomly, so no picking up items or looting containers until restart
- Friendly people in chat suggested to use melee for silent kills, as gunshots will attract more nether. The motherfucking nether scream like the sky is falling at first sign of trouble, attracting everything else for miles around. I've killed like 6 of those loving things in a row. Then something the size of an elephant teleported 2 feet away and killed me in 1 hit. I had 1275 health, but it didn't give a poo poo.
- Can't leave the game. After selecting the appropriate action, the menu overlay dissipates, while nothing else is happening. Forced to force quit. Twice I tried with the same result.
- As a bonus, 90% of people have NaM3Z L1eK tH1Z.

I don't have your first problem unless my internet is lagging. The second problem is a work in progress, I've been playing for a week and have noticed fixes. I'm pretty sure the water thing is intentional. Since wednesday the lighting has gotten better, it doesn't always look like I'm wearing a welding shield. I agree about the tutorial, and it seemed like it existed to give you the can gun. I agree about the zoom. The USE key problem and not being able to quit means the server you were on was crashing, for whatever reason that's how the servers die. The nether that killed you was either a golem or a reaper. They both do a lot of damage but the golem is super slow, even with the teleport. The same thing happened to me the first time I found one.

I have fun when I play, and I also feel good about this game because it will only get better. That being said, I'm with everyone else saying it's not a finished product and tell any of my friends that are interested in buying it to wait until it's in sale. I don't think it's worth 15 bucks, but I think it is worth 6 or less.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Anyone have an inclination as to when we can expect to be able to play again? I was trolling around in the forums but found nothing :downs:

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

No idea when they will have the servers back up, but apparently something broke really hard. I'm bouncing around on their forums too. I think the only place I've seen more vitriol involves MOBAs.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hard cap at 200k if you had anything over that before the new update, lose 40% of your money when you die. loving.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
There's also a Nether Goons Steam Group I made a while back during I think Alpha. Crap, so long ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NetherGoons

It's public so have fun.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Started playing this last night and it's pretty satisfying. Scratches my itch to wander a postapoc landscape digging for loot, and I'm starting to get the hang of the combat. Extremely pretty game too, I find myself taking screenshots a lot. Is there a way to disable the ui for that purpose?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saint Sputnik posted:

Started playing this last night and it's pretty satisfying. Scratches my itch to wander a postapoc landscape digging for loot, and I'm starting to get the hang of the combat. Extremely pretty game too, I find myself taking screenshots a lot. Is there a way to disable the ui for that purpose?

It looks like a whole lot of effort, but here's this

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

UoI posted:

It looks like a whole lot of effort, but here's this

Thanks! Dicked around in the metro for an hour yesterday, only found one critter and a lot of loot, it was pretty tense the whole time though not knowing what was down there. Can't say yet if it's a viable shortcut around town.

Finally got a scoped machine gun today from a supply drop on my level 12 character, but of course I got mobbed and murdered on my way to drop it off for safekeeping. Shot my way through most of the Nethers but there was a drat little dog-like one behind me on the other side of a fence that I didn't see. I am going to be mad about that all day. I hope the final version makes death a little less of a frustrating pain in the rear end, like letting you keep some skills or cash or at least the chance to recover your stuff roguelike style.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

There are only a few ways to get stuff back after dying. First is to always have a homie. Homies are great. They kill the player/critter that kills you, then pick up your loot. The second way is really a crap shoot. If you die to critters your stuff will stay on the map for a short while, so if you can get lucky and spawn near where you died you can rush back and pick up your loot. Then there's the hardest way. Find the player that killed you and kill them back. Hopefully they have your loot, but I find that most times they'll grab your best items and leave the rest to despawn. The upside to the last method is that the player usually has better gear than you. The down side is they will most likely kill you again. And again. And again.

My tip: stock up your global inventory with stuff you like to use. When you die you can grab the next set of stuff and get right back to the grind.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I've amassed a stockpile of guns by now, which I'll probably hold onto for a rainy day, and found the mach9 that always spawns south of the big central safezone, and managed to level up into the 20s pretty consistently before getting killed by some rear end in a top hat. So, doing pretty well. Say hi if you catch me in game, I guess it displays as jordan.fouts despite that not being the username I chose.

Any other good guns spawn reliably, and did they get rid of dirt bikes so soon after introducing them?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been on a long vacation but once I get back I'll most likely start bothering everyone to play again.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Apparently the latest patch has pushed the game further into pay to win territory, as you can now buy non-cosmetic items with Nether Gold, something the developers were supposedly never going to do. There's also unsubstantiated reports (because the game is sort of broken and I can't log in to confirm) that they jacked up all the in-game cash prices on items in the marketplace (ie. the gold keys now costing $55,000 instead of $2,500.)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Shadefyre posted:

Apparently the latest patch has pushed the game further into pay to win territory, as you can now buy non-cosmetic items with Nether Gold, something the developers were supposedly never going to do. There's also unsubstantiated reports (because the game is sort of broken and I can't log in to confirm) that they jacked up all the in-game cash prices on items in the marketplace (ie. the gold keys now costing $55,000 instead of $2,500.)

Myth confirmed.

Also: unplayably buggy once I finally did get in.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I'm amazed you guys are still trying to play. It was buggy before, but it sounds like it may be worse now, the devs are ruthlessly trying to monetize they're sinking ship, and hackers abound.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Also, apparently the developers didn't mention this little tidbit until the patch:

"PlayNether [developer] 17 hours ago
Clarification of Nether Dev/Live Ops Team
Hello everyone,

As you all know, Phosphor Games Studios was the development team behind the initial release of Nether. In June, we passed the ongoing development, feedback & support of the game to Nether Productions. We are currently no longer working on or managing the game in any way. Feedback or requests about the game should be directed to the current Live Ops Team at Nether Productions. We would like to thank Nether Productions, and this wonderful community for the incredible experience we had developing Nether. We wish the new team all the best, and look forward to seeing all they do with Nether in the future!

Thank you!"

So the original devs literally sold off the game to some unknowns and completely wiped their hands of it. And since the investors paying the bills are the same investors that put money into Hammerpoint and The WarZ, it shouldn't be too surprising that the game's funeral march looks like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shadefyre posted:

Also, apparently the developers didn't mention this little tidbit until the patch:

"PlayNether [developer] 17 hours ago
Clarification of Nether Dev/Live Ops Team
Hello everyone,

As you all know, Phosphor Games Studios was the development team behind the initial release of Nether. In June, we passed the ongoing development, feedback & support of the game to Nether Productions. We are currently no longer working on or managing the game in any way. Feedback or requests about the game should be directed to the current Live Ops Team at Nether Productions. We would like to thank Nether Productions, and this wonderful community for the incredible experience we had developing Nether. We wish the new team all the best, and look forward to seeing all they do with Nether in the future!

Thank you!"

So the original devs literally sold off the game to some unknowns and completely wiped their hands of it. And since the investors paying the bills are the same investors that put money into Hammerpoint and The WarZ, it shouldn't be too surprising that the game's funeral march looks like this.

Coincidentally, it sounds like the devs that head up The WarZ/Survivor Stories might have washed their hands of the lovely Russian mafia-esque scam they were hooked up too, and are trying to make a legitimate game instead of the P2W cash shop mess they have now.

Kind of interesting if there was anything to those claims that Nether was being being run by the same group of individuals. The cash shop and presentation was certainly very similar.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread