Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Del Raminos, you're at the end of your rope
And I'm 'a kick you in the butt and wash your mouth out with soap

mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster
TNA truly brings out the worst in people.

I am curious where this story with Kurt Angle as director is going though. My expectation is that it will lead to an awesome setup to a storyline before they find a way to ummm... do something inane with it. Or Kurt leaves without letting anyone know.

Oddly enough, I am starting to find the Menagerie somewhat entertaining.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lotus Brony posted:

Oddly enough, I am starting to find the Menagerie somewhat entertaining.

The Menagerie is so 'what' that I love them.

Except Crazzy Steve.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They'll turn Kurt heel within 6 months because TNA does not know how to exist without heel authority figures. Bonus points if he ends up returning to the ring as part of it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

They'll turn Kurt heel within 6 months because TNA does not know how to exist without heel authority figures. Bonus points if he ends up returning to the ring as part of it.

His contract's up in Sept. He probably won't even still be in the company in 3 months, let alone 6 months.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chris James 2 posted:

His contract's up in Sept. He probably won't even still be in the company in 3 months, let alone 6 months.

3 months is plenty of time to for Kurt to go badguy. Several times over.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

once his contract is up they will make a handshake deal, put him in the main event angle, then promptly drop the storyline midway when he decides to leave aka tna's approach to high profile talent relations for the past 5+ years.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Aren't they mostly taped until late August? He'd have to turn heel at the very last taping to do so.

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster

Great White Hope posted:

The Menagerie is so 'what' that I love them.

Except Crazzy Steve.

I HATED Steve with a passion, especially after the "match" with Kaz. I hate him a little bit less now that I realized that his character doesn't talk, and instead uses that horn to communicate. Emphasis on "a little bit less".

BTW, who's playing the Freak character?

Lotus Brony fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 14, 2014

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lotus Brony posted:

BTW, who's playing the Freak character?
It's Rob Terry.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Aren't they mostly taped until late August? He'd have to turn heel at the very last taping to do so.

"I'm leaving to go back to WWE as an asssistant deputy road agent, you freakin' morons" would be a pretty effective heel turn.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

They have six shows to tape on those tapings so it is enough time for Angle to turn heel and then return as the conquering babyface.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

has pretty much every major departure for TNA been worked into an angle?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Oh yes, it's a safe bet that Angle will exit with Dixie clinging to his ankle, trying to give him a car, or some other madness. I don't understand the reasoning in those end segments, all it does is make the leaving party look really important and TNA look desperate. Why would anyone write that?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Squalitude posted:

Oh yes, it's a safe bet that Angle will exit with Dixie clinging to his ankle, trying to give him a car, or some other madness. I don't understand the reasoning in those end segments, all it does is make the leaving party look really important and TNA look desperate. Why would anyone write that?

Hogan had complete creative control over his departure, which is what ended with Dixie holding onto him as he left.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Remember when Bobby Lashley quit TNA to do MMA but TNA wouldn't actually meet with him to hash those details out.

His last angle in the company was that he wanted out of his contract but TNA wouldn't fire him. Then Bischoff fired him and he was furious???

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

Remember when Bobby Lashley quit TNA to do MMA but TNA wouldn't actually meet with him to hash those details out.

His last angle in the company was that he wanted out of his contract but TNA wouldn't fire him. Then Bischoff fired him and he was furious???

I think it was timing, more than anything. He was starting to go through a messy divorce with his wife around that time, IIRC. All the times I've talked to him on twitter, Lashley comes off as super chill about life.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

coconono posted:

I think it was timing, more than anything. He was starting to go through a messy divorce with his wife around that time, IIRC.

This was the on-screen angle as well. She did all the talking for him and it was later revealed that he didn't want to quit at all. She did the talking while he was standing right next to her, so it's not like there were backstage segments of her loving with his contract negotiations or whatever. She would cut promos in the ring about how unhappy Bobby was that he apparently ignored?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Shine posted:

I never watched WCW and barely watched TNA, so I've never seen Sting and he, uh, looks dumb.

The best way to describe Sting, is that he was WCW's Hulk Hogan before they got Hulk Hogan.

Big, buff, bleach blond surfer dude from Venice Beach, played up to the crowds, loved by the kids, was the typical clean cut, bland babyface. He was John Cena, if the WWE had other babyfaces to swap in and out with John Cena. He could put on good matches with the right guys, but wasn't going to carry anything on his own. WCW pretty much put everything on his shoulders from 90-93 or so. Had obviously great feuds with Flair, Rude, Vader and Cactus Jack, had hilariously terrible ones with guys like Sid and the usual monsters of the month guys. He had a fun, if way too short feud with Jake Roberts which surprisingly holds up well today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D569R_XbU

Once Hogan showed up in '94, he got pushed to the background like most of the WCW guys, but made a resurgance with the nWo angle in '96. Once he "left" at the end of 96, they started the "crow" gimmick, keeping him out of the ring for nearly a year, and actually building a hell of a program with Hogan. The anti-hero/goth thing, coupled with not having him talk really built a hell of a character, think Undertaker in his prime. This culminated with the complete clusterfuck main event at Superbrawl (Starrcade?), whichever the December PPV was with the added Bret Hart bullshit, the incredibly long "fast" botched 3 count, and no real payoff. From there, he talked, joined the "face" nwo, left the face nwo, joined the wolfpac, left that, did some other bullshit, cut horrible promos, was in the Russo-tastic new blood fued, etc, had a hilariously awful feud with Vampiro, and then worked out this retirement package with TNA for the past decade.

Essentially, he's milked nearly 2 decades of paydays off of an interesting run in 1997 where he only wrestled once. Gotta give him credit for that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sting was that guy who was always pushed strongly and treated important for the 5 months a year he felt like working

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Kurt: Dixie, I'm leaving TNA to go back to WWE.

Dixie: You're going to spy on them for us, right, Kurt? Just like Christian said he would?

Kurt: Uh... yeah, sure whatever.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Sting could have great matches but they were almost entirely before 1996. After that point his good matches are limited to DDP who planned his matches out extensively and Kurt Angle and well, he's Kurt Angle. Even before 96 there isn't much after the end of the Vader series. It's hard to call someone underrated when he was mostly bad for 20 years.

Yeah I think my mind is drawing a blank on anything he did past 1996 - I really can't remember almost anything except a Bret Hart match I was super pumped about, which ended in Sting being put unconscious in the Sharpshooter. WCW for you, I guess.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ThatCguy posted:

The best way to describe Sting, is that he was WCW's Hulk Hogan before they got Hulk Hogan.

Big, buff, bleach blond surfer dude from Venice Beach, played up to the crowds, loved by the kids, was the typical clean cut, bland babyface. He was John Cena, if the WWE had other babyfaces to swap in and out with John Cena. He could put on good matches with the right guys, but wasn't going to carry anything on his own. WCW pretty much put everything on his shoulders from 90-93 or so. Had obviously great feuds with Flair, Rude, Vader and Cactus Jack, had hilariously terrible ones with guys like Sid and the usual monsters of the month guys. He had a fun, if way too short feud with Jake Roberts which surprisingly holds up well today.

It's funny, I liked Hogan but was never a huge fan but Sting was my favorite WCW guyduring that period.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chris James 2 posted:

Hogan had complete creative control over his departure, which is what ended with Dixie holding onto him as he left.

So Hogan wrote that?? I thought it was TNA being dumbarses, (which it was), but now it is yet another brick in the mansion that is the orange goblins shrine to his own gargantuan ego and inability to ever look bad on TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

So Hogan wrote that?? I thought it was TNA being dumbarses, (which it was), but now it is yet another brick in the mansion that is the orange goblins shrine to his own gargantuan ego and inability to ever look bad on TV.

Hogan probably didn't write it, that was likely what they came up to try and please him. At the time it was possible he'd return.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

what the gently caress is this tna social site (nws) officially linked under "social" on the tna website?

the kind of stuff showing up also nws

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Haha I forgot about the RDV shirt

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah I think my mind is drawing a blank on anything he did past 1996 - I really can't remember almost anything except a Bret Hart match I was super pumped about, which ended in Sting being put unconscious in the Sharpshooter. WCW for you, I guess.

I think the big thing about Sting was always what could have been. The nWo was kicking the poo poo out of WCW. Sting was supposed to be the cool anti-hero and beats the nWo and saves the day. It was super over, and everyone wanted to see it, and everyone bought the PPV and then all that happened was another cluster gently caress finish and WCW never quite reached that level of popularity again. Sting could have been a superstar and carried WCW for a couple years, but instead we were just given the same thing that had happened since Bash at the Beach 1996. I was twelve in 1997 and I had a Starcade 1997 poster on my wall, (The one that said "Hogan's a Colorful Guy, but his Nightmare's in Black and White") and I lived in Canada where it was hard as hell to watch WCW because TSN always bounced it around. Even here, everyone who was into wrestling loved Sting during that time. By the next year, people didn't have Sting posters, they had Steve Austin posters.

To put it in perspective, imagine if Daniel Bryan got beaten clean by Triple H at Wrestlemania this year but Triple H was like, "Good match, kid. You earned my respect. I'm putting you in the main event anyway." It would have went over like a wet fart and made Bryan look like a chump even when he won the three-way. This is basically what happened at Starcade 1997.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 15, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HulkaMatt posted:

what the gently caress is this tna social site (nws) officially linked under "social" on the tna website?

Scrolled down, saw Finlay Dick, Orlando Jordan dick, Chyna rear end, Knobb's sarlacc pit, Gail Kim topless and Mickie James completely naked.

CROSS THE LINE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe it just compiles any mention of a TNA hashtag or star?? Whaaaaaat

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe it just compiles any mention of a TNA hashtag or star?? Whaaaaaat

It looks like anyone can just post anything. I scrolled down as far as I could and one of the earliest posts (from about 18 hours prior) just said "sup /wooo/".

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Yeah, it got linked over on 420chan and they ran wild with it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Haha I forgot about the RDV shirt

I'll have you know that it's a Shrit. Much higher quality than a shirt.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Lashley sucks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

HulkaMatt posted:

/wooo/ somehow gained control of it and TNA either hasn't noticed yet or is too goddamn inept to kick them out.

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster

NienNunb posted:

Bobby Lashley sucks.

We all sort of agree. The argument is what it is he is sucking/how often/frequency. Some say "everything/every second/all the time". I say a bit less than that. I feel he holds himself back due to lack of confidence, but that's me being an unrealistic douche.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Flameingblack posted:

/wooo/ somehow gained control of it and TNA either hasn't noticed yet or is too goddamn inept to kick them out.

Breaking news:

quote:

Here is the whole story
I was looking for an image to use in the "Vince peeks through a curtain" template and was having a hard time finding recent TNA pictures. I went to the website and had kept looking around and found nothing really useful. I decided to check out the stuff in the social tab and when I clicked on 'Our Online Universe' the page 404'd. TNA either deleted the account or the website deleted it. I signed up with the username the page was linked to and boom, TNA has a link to my page.

tl;dr TNA deleted an account and I signed up with it's old name.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I hope this company lives forever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IgrJfoia3E

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know who their social media director is but if they're looking to hire a new one I have literal hundreds of Twitter followers.

Who am I kidding it's probably another job Jeremy Borash does for them.

• Locked thread