Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

There is literally no fantasy setting or style that 3E, Pathfinder, or 5E does better than Dungeon World, FAE, GURPS, or literally any other fantasy-oriented product on the market.

Dungeons and dragons wants to die, so let's let it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: D&D is the foundation of the hobby, the cornerstone it's builtd on, and the anchor around its neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Spincut posted:

Where does one...start with GURPS? Like, do I just need the first book of Dungeon Fantasy or is there a core GURPS book or something like that?

Help me lose myself in build points, goons.

I think they still provide GURPS Lite as a free download on the SJG site. Take a look at that maybe. It cuts out a lot of options so you can get a look at the system.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Dagon posted:

GURPS Lite for a taste, then start with the Basic Set, Characters for players, Campaigns for GMs.

GURPS owns, just don't get caught up in thinking you need to use or allow everything. Think of it more as a basic system toolkit for making your game.

Cool, thanks!

Although $55 for two PDFs is kinda off-putting, I can at least go through the Lite version and see if it's interesting. Maybe I have friends who own it...

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Really, the oddest thing about D&D to me is how much the weirdest sacred cows are those that seem to be held on to the most. Like you could weaken wizards pretty substantially or make fighters something more interesting and still have an old school feel, yet somehow it's all or nothing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Spincut posted:

Cool, thanks!

Although $55 for two PDFs is kinda off-putting, I can at least go through the Lite version and see if it's interesting. Maybe I have friends who own it...

I would love someone to corroborate this, but I'm reasonably certain Dungeon Fantasy will run just peachy with the Lite rules and Characters, the first core book. You only need Characters to tell you what all of the advantages/disadvantages/skills do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Really, the oddest thing about D&D to me is how much the weirdest sacred cows are those that seem to be held on to the most. Like you could weaken wizards pretty substantially or make fighters something more interesting and still have an old school feel, yet somehow it's all or nothing.

But then it "wouldn't be D&D". It's not about old-school feel, it's about the mechanics and expectations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funny way of spelling Ryuutama you got there.

Is that out yet? :(

In layout. There was a backer email on it just today!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mors Rattus posted:

In layout. There was a backer email on it just today!

Cool I wish I had heard about the Kickstarter before it ended.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Grogs actually want an imbalanced, unfun experience that allows their extensive free time and spergy attention to the rules to let them be better than not even really the jocks, but their "friends" at the table.

Everyone involved in a 3e style game is playing into a power fantasy, it's just that for casters the fantasy is, at least partially, real. These people tend to gatekeep or get their non-gaming friends to play, and they play the hapless warriors and non-casters who get to watch the big brain on Brett use their SoDs on enemy minions.

There are exceptions, but there also truthfully aren't. Wizards are -always- going to have moments in those games where they do something no one else can, and groups can skip over that, but baked in to the game is the idea that no one can survive without the casters.

The shittiest sacred cows are being held because they reward the jerks who want them.

Last time I played pathfinder I wound up as the group's wizard and deliberately chose the least attention-stealing build as a min/maxing enchanter to let our Ranger and Paladin have as much fun as they could. I still saved our group repeatedly with Grease and other SoS spells. You can't escape the system.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gau posted:

I would love someone to corroborate this, but I'm reasonably certain Dungeon Fantasy will run just peachy with the Lite rules and Characters, the first core book. You only need Characters to tell you what all of the advantages/disadvantages/skills do.

This is broadly accurate, you only need campaigns if you want more detailed combat and success/failure rules.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Impermanent posted:

Grogs actually want an imbalanced, unfun experience that allows their extensive free time and spergy attention to the rules to let them be better than not even really the jocks, but their "friends" at the table.
Grog games reward the players who put in extra time on their homework. If you put in the effort to comb the books and online charop boards to learn the ins and outs of the magic system, well, then you should be able to take control of the game ahead of those jocks who just want to jump around and hit things with a sword. It's what every nerd wishes the real world was like - a place where your ability to grind through books and do extra homework makes you the king of the universe.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Halloween Jack posted:

He's going to see what ENWorld says before going forward, so same result either way.

So uh, has EN World changed any since since I made this last post? I mean yeah, there was quite a few bad arguments, but quite a few posters (including Morrus, who struck me as a swell guy) agreed with me about problems in the hobby.

If it's still the same, this will probably result in a clusterfuck of people shouting at each other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Isn't ENWorld where they had to create a special forum solely for arguing over Damage On A Miss because people were losing their poo poo over it so much?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Gau posted:

That's good to know, thanks!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Impermanent posted:

Last time I played pathfinder I wound up as the group's wizard and deliberately chose the least attention-stealing build as a min/maxing enchanter to let our Ranger and Paladin have as much fun as they could. I still saved our group repeatedly with Grease and other SoS spells. You can't escape the system.

How is it possible to make a non-scene-stealing enchanter? Those are the spells that change everything, from Hold Person in combat to Charm Person outside it. The 3rd ed. devs balanced the game around sorcerors casting evocations all day, not specializing in save-or-suck spells. The poo poo of 3.* D&D is that the dude who is raining lightning from the sky and summoning explosive fireballs from the ether is the least broken version of a spellcaster.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

Isn't ENWorld where they had to create a special forum solely for arguing over Damage On A Miss because people were losing their poo poo over it so much?

Yup, although that can be a separate issue than "drat feminists ruining everything," even if those two demographics of gamer overlap at times.

For example, there's quite a bit of Pathfinder players who love the company's attempts at diversity and inclusion, but are cool with martial nerfs. Although the Paizo boards are a different forum culture, so that might not be the best example.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

How is it possible to make a non-scene-stealing enchanter? [/i]

I specialized more in buff spells than in negative effects so that the other players would be able to have the fun of smacking things down on steroids. It is still scene-stealy, yeah, but it was my best option.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

We had a lot of fun in high school and just after with GURPS. Now, after a culling and a garage flooding that destroyed some of my books, my collection has dwindled to GURPS 3E, the Compendium, and GURPS Goblins. I think it's somewhat telling that the only sourcebook I still own for GURPS is the one that most doesn't want to be a GURPS game at all.

Oh, yeah, I might get the new GURPS Discworld when it comes out.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

atholbrose posted:

new GURPS Discworld

whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Someone really needs to run Goblins in FATE. Although, the intoxication and name-based character creation rules from that book are part of the charm.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
So Microsoft just killed its Xbox Entertainment Studios.

So bye-bye Deadlands?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Gau posted:

Yep. The latest update on their website says that the second edition is in proofreading and going through art approvals, but I think it's said that for quite some time. It's harder to imagine a bigger disconnect between source material and mechanics, though I have to admit, the wizards from the Applied Magic Division would probably really dig GURPS.

Gau posted:

Someone really needs to run Goblins in FATE. Although, the intoxication and name-based character creation rules from that book are part of the charm.

I tried, a bit, to port it to WARP, and then to a very-low-crunch variant of FUDGE I'd used for some one-shots (of the "just roll some dice and improvise" school). Nothing ever got off the ground, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al Baron posted:

So Microsoft just killed its Xbox Entertainment Studios.

So bye-bye Deadlands?

Honestly, this was probably the best possible ending to that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arivia posted:

That dragonmarks are stupid and anime.

Your point?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Swagger Dagger posted:

A Paizo designer tied his mouse to his wrist by the cord in order to "test" if a strap tying your sword to your arm should let you recover from being disarmed as a swift or simple or whatever the gently caress the fastest action is.

It was too hard for him to swing it into his hand, so he issued errata saying it took a longer action.

Pathfinder loving sucks, maybe just don't play D&D at all. GURPS is right there.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/dungeonfantasy/

On the other hand, since it hurt when the thing kept hitting his wrist he developed a piece of armor to protect himself from his own tool.

That man was Luke Crane.

That was how Mouse Guard was born.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But it wasn't Luk-

Oh. I get it.

It's a dad joke.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Gau posted:

There may be a better system for Goblins, but FATE aint it

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Winson_Paine posted:

On the other hand, since it hurt when the thing kept hitting his wrist he developed a piece of armor to protect himself from his own tool.

That man was Luke Crane.

That was how Mouse Guard was born.

One day your child will be old enough to roll their eyes at your jokes and the dadjoke tyranny of TGD will end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

One day your child will be old enough to roll their eyes at your jokes and the dadjoke tyranny of TGD will end.

I doubt it. Your dad, right now. on Facebook, is making the worst pun you've ever heard.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

puns and dad jokes the best jokes, hope this helps.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

There may be a better system for Goblins, but FATE aint it

I dunno. It's not really a game that needs a PbtA hack. So...EABA? :v:

Edit: Man, whatever happened to that guy?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
What's so special about Goblins anyway? The SJ Games blurb is a whole lot of fluff and flavor but doesn't tell you what you're supposed to be playing.

Another supplement I've heard super good things about is GURPS China.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

I doubt it. Your dad, right now. on Facebook, is making the worst pun you've ever heard.

Funny, my dad just jokes about arabs and turks being lazy and how as an autistic person I should shack up with microsoft because they'd have stimming breaks.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

atholbrose posted:

Yep. The latest update on their website says that the second edition is in proofreading and going through art approvals, but I think it's said that for quite some time. It's harder to imagine a bigger disconnect between source material and mechanics, though I have to admit, the wizards from the Applied Magic Division would probably really dig GURPS.

Well now you've got me asking myself what would be a good fit dammnit. Gumshoe game about being in The Watch?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

atholbrose posted:

I think the funniest thing along these lines was a Discworld adventure, published in SJG's own Pyramid magazine, that just straight up says to play using Over The Edge's rules instead.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The big disappointment of GURPS Discworld wasn't the system (because frankly early Discworld had a ton of AD&D jokes in it so having a complicated system doesn't really matter to me), but the almost complete lack of analysis of Discworld comedy and how to create your own. This, by the way, although it would make for brilliant play, would also make for a really boring book.

I feel like RPGs these days will always go for the entertaining, glossy, high-production-value presentation over the useful presentation, and that really sucks.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Discworld is complicated. Its charm and comedy come from the prose and rich characters; take those away and it's just a quirky setting with good, if standard, plots. Those you can present in almost any system and you're as good as done. However, if you want a RPG system that directs you toward rich, human-like characters and sly humor, I don't think it exists yet.

JDCorley posted:

The big disappointment of GURPS Discworld wasn't the system (because frankly early Discworld had a ton of AD&D jokes in it so having a complicated system doesn't really matter to me), but the almost complete lack of analysis of Discworld comedy and how to create your own. This, by the way, although it would make for brilliant play, would also make for a really boring book.

I feel like RPGs these days will always go for the entertaining, glossy, high-production-value presentation over the useful presentation, and that really sucks.

My biggest issue with the RPG industry is how few good genre analyses there are: supplements that detail genre conventions, what's cool about them, and approaches to make those conventions work in a gaming table. You can say what you will about GURPS' rules, but at least it has a bunch of supplements that try to do this.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

WordMercenary posted:

Well now you've got me asking myself what would be a good fit dammnit. Gumshoe game about being in The Watch?

Fate. No, seriously, Discworld operates entirely on narrative convention and genre logic, and Fate is all about having character being powered by how important they are to the narrative.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheSpookyDanger posted:

puns and dad jokes the best jokes, hope this helps.
These are the only jokes I know. I am the bane of my office.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Dad jokes are amazing as an ESL teacher in another country, because they're jokes my students can still understand despite differences in cultural humor, and are all around safe and pleasant and won't get me in any sort of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Edit: Yup. Sorry.

Gau fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 18, 2014

• Locked thread