Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Based only on that other thread, I have a feeling July's gonna be a magical month.

Also writing lots of stuff, yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

It's Smiling Sammy G, a merchant who can be found in many convenient locations including right behind you :haw:

(Basically he's an NPC from the 13th Age supplement 13 True Ways)

He's also got a pretty chill shop at the corner of Uncanny Valley ave. and OH GOD IT'S LOOKING AT MY SOUL lane.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I watched Avatar: the last airbender on netflix last year, I thought it was pretty good. does that count as anime?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mimir posted:

One of the Worst Things in games is when weird fiddly rules fool you into thinking they're entirely reasonable rules. Then you're thinking you have a firm grasp on a ruleset, hypothetically, and let's say you've read some particular section on, oh, what's a good example, "The Matrix" a bunch of times, and it all seems reasonable.

Then (hypothetically), then, let's say that Matrix rules happened and then gently caress Technomancers why do you need so many goddamn rolls to do anything screw you oh man why does three seconds take so goddamn long in this system, how many times do you get to do stuff per round?

Four? And you can do up to three distinct things each time?

Man why do we even have a Face if he can't do anything in hours-long combat, this was really fun when y'all were just spitballin' about how to pull off this heist.

Sorry, guys.

I'm sorry this isn't as fun as it could be. I'm sure we'd be having more fun if we all knew these rules better.

It's small consolation, I know, but you were actually doing it right.

That said, there are a couple of other games/systems that do shadowrun better than shadowrun if your group really likes shadowrun or feels like homebrewing.
Leverage RPG, and Apocalypse World can both be used with fairly little tinkering, Levergae edges out AW though since it's more specifically about heists.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And I say unto thee:
Engage thyself with yon Stairmaster, knave!
-Muscle Wizard LARP, :getin:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dwarf74 posted:

Where is this from?

And please tell me people are sending him stuff.

I hope so, I personally brought it to the attention of a few peeps who have been getting hosed with in this.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I like how if you read the thread that that came from, even his fan club tear him apart on that one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Pathfinder is unironically good.

Please don't troll.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Arrows of Indra showcases a refreshingly new take on old gaming tropes. A++ lots of innovation.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Carcosa has been criticized for being 'too mild' in its depiction of dark magic and cult worship.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

This isn't being beaten into the ground.

Goons have never taken jokes too far, not in the entire history of this forum.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really do wish people would stop making DW playbooks and make things like campaign frameworks and adventures and stuff. We need more GM-facing stuff.

This is what I really want to do, like semi-self contained settings books that have their own unique flavor in terms of maybe a few classes and stuff. A bit like Inverse World, but I just figure I should start small with a playbook first.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Asymmetrikon posted:

Really, my wish is that people would use the PbtA core to explore different genres, rather than just D&D fantasy all over again. It's a really good core for narrative emulation, but I really don't think people are using that as well as they should be.

Being worked on right now that I know of:
Several different people with several different flavors of Sci-fi
A 70s action movie game
A superhero game
A Modern Horror (not like Monster Hearts)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plague of Hats posted:

That's it. You're on the Outrage Brigade's Enemies List.

As the new head of the Outrage Brigade, I demand one of those gaudy general's jackets with huge epaulets and covered in medals...and the gold rimmed aviator shades. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
We are all little spaghetti.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

This is from a few pages back, but does anyone have a good example of a third-party Dungeon World adventure? I'm sure I could write one, but I'm not certain what's useful to include and what isn't.

This is also of interest to me.

Edit; Thanks, Lem.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 10, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
A story without at least the expectation of a beginning, middle, and end, is a bad story.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I was being too vague, but essentially my point was that you should aim for stories, no matter the length.

Also, long running campaigns are often served better by being several smaller stories in a series, rather than one long over arching narrative.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Best 2 out of 3, tournament. Barkley, Shut up and jam: Gaiden

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Traditional Games > TGD Cog-ust Design Contest

August Personages of Steam, Brass, and Mahogany: a TG Design Contest

:monocle:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Dungeon world (all he needs to print is GM moves, Basic moves, and playbooks)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Depends on how goofy you want it. Just keep in mind that really bleak humor and goofiness belong at different ends of the sliding scale and shouldn't be mixed.

Unless you happen to be Monty Python.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Olde_fortran posted:

Hi, I'm Sage.

Welcome to the forums, unfortunately this now makes you an official member of the Outrage Brigade TM

One of us, one of us! :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

We just need to rewrite it to be about physical or emotional intimacy, then.

When you're a bad enough dude to save the trad games hobby, roll +COOL...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ataxerxes posted:

Dialectics World. Roll +Trotskyism, on a 10+ you pull off an uprising without a hitch.

Make this. Now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gau posted:

I did, but I was stuck in small-town Montana and didn't have a television in my house until 1987 (I was five). There were two channels.

Ask me why I'm basically a gaming luddite.

Geez, talk about different strokes, I'm only 2 years younger than you, but I was probably one of the first of the 'kids who were basically raised online. Since my dad worked with computers, As far back as I remember we always had at least one in the house, we had internet pre-AOL, had a separate line for dial-up. (two lines at one point iirc), even living in small-town Idaho for awhile, we always had a connection.

It's so weird hearing how different it was for people who are practically the same age as me. :psyduck:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

So Mearls is basically willing to judge everyone who got harassed by Zak S and Tarnowski on the content of other people's posts, but won't judge Zak S and Tarnowski on the content of their own posts?

A standard so good, you gotta make it a double! :haw:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Swagger Dagger posted:

Pathfinder loving sucks, maybe just don't play D&D at all. Dungeon World is right there.

This.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

Eberron fans.

Them's fightin' words! :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Unless I'm not getting a joke, this guy seems nerd-mad about something.

Edit: AAAARRRRRRIIIIVVVVIIIAAAAA! :doom:
Edit 2: oh wait you prefer Pathfinder, phew, for a second I was worried you might have had a point. :smaug:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Swagger Dagger posted:

You're not getting a joke.

Ok, good to know.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

There is literally no fantasy setting or style that 3E, Pathfinder, or 5E does better than Dungeon World, FAE, GURPS, or literally any other fantasy-oriented product on the market.

Dungeons and dragons wants to die, so let's let it.

This, but with the caveat that Eberron and Keith baker owns and we shouldn't hold their past association with D&D against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Down With People posted:

THE GOON MENACE

Zak would have probably posted:

...I have here in my hand a list of 205 . . . a list of names that were made known to my minions as being members of the Social Justice Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping opinions on the Internet. . . .

As you know, very recently these Swine proclaimed their loyalty to people guilty of what has always been considered as the most abominable of all crimes—refusing to stay silent in the face of harassment and abuse—Social Justice Warriors. . . .

They've lit the spark which is resulting in a moral uprising and will end only when the whole sorry mess of twisted, warped thinkers are swept from the gaming scene (by us) so that we may have a new birth of dishonesty, pedantry and privileged silence in elfgames.

• Locked thread