Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Tollymain posted:

I've never actually had that sort of experience.

I've very little experience with RPGs outside PbP in general, really :smith:

Hey there, at least you aren't alone :gbsmith::hf::gbsmith:

I'm going to say some of the crazier stuff in F&F. Yikes, some of these people need to watch more Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Obviously someone should run an anime high school themed Monsterhearts game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Isn't that half the Monsterhearts games that got played in the Game Room?

Really? Most of the MH games I see look more like middle-Americana things like Tollymain's game. The only exceptions would be the Game of Thrones inspired one and Ningyou's Regency England Jane Austen pastiche one. Of course, most of the character art being thrown around is pretty anime, for reasons I think I know but won't say :swoon:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

it settles a bit, so the mass goes down to whatever face is opposite the highest number, causing it to roll that number more.

Doesn't that require microwaving the dice?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ettin posted:

I agree, anime games are bad.

Hahahaha, look who's talking, Mr. "Anime x Lovecraft" Aussie.

Seriously, though, better anime games and bishonen swordsmen holding roses than the "Everything is grimdark and groggy and lame" thing that some of those games on F&F go for.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Well I have been thinking about how you'd run a STALKER game...

STALKER may be dark, but it's not, like, GRIMdark. The Zone is crazy, but it's as much a place of scientific wonder as it is a place of extreme danger. And for all the inter-faction fighting everybody likes kicking back in the alcohol oases and drinking vodka.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

You don't get to be a beautiful anime man by slogging around in radioactive mud and eating stacks of questionable salami ten at a time, though.

I dunno, man, Major Degtyarev from the third game doesn't look too bad at all.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

*apps a bishie, is killed by russian neo-nazis an hour in*

...have you been reading DocBubonic's games? :catstare:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I like how you capitalize "Bishie" like it's some kind of title or position, like all parties should have a "Bishie" as they have a "Rogue" or "Wizard".

Also I just realized the weirdest part of the second "rescue". The person he was trying to save from the gunfire didn't get hit once. Were they just not aiming for her or does my bad luck with FATE dice carry over to GURPS ones?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Uhm, uh...I like the way men and women are traditionally portrayed in "RPG Fantasy" art? FATE is more imbalanced than D&D? I hate elves and like girls exclusively?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

Heh, thanks. What Ho, World! (as it's currently named) is still in the early stages of design, but so far I have stats (Grace, Skulduggery, Wits and Knowhow), playbooks (Gentleman/lady of Leisure, Artist, Gentleman's Gentleman/Lady's Lady, Aged Relative and Pillar of Society), and some basic moves plotted out. The basic idea for how the game works is that each playbook will come with some unique fiasco-like needs, objects, locations etc and the players pick and choose them to set up the plot - not aiming to have any GM for it, so it'll all be player-led. Then you play through the chaos that results. One nice thing about this structure is it can easily be refluffed to settings other than the 1920s simply by altering playbook aesthetic details and the lists of needs, objects and locations; we're already brainstorming details for Wizards Aren't Gentlemen, with novice sorcerors, their bound demon servants, and aged masters engaging in intricate (and petty) social maneuvering.

Oh gods run a playtest here I wanna try this!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

what if it's a M*A*S*H game

Isn't that GRUNT refluffed for a war fifteen years earlier?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

zachol posted:

Intuitively, Lawful Neutral or Good for A and either Lawful or Neutral Evil for B.

I don't even play D&D and I know that the joke is that the first one are the capital-E EVIL Orcs and the second are the capital-G Good Elves.

Which just goes to show why turning elves into a race of hot guys who make out with each other all day every day would be an improvement.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

If they get sweaty and mine shirtless I'm down with that.

Hi-ho, hi-ho! :swoon:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

I want to run a game with elves as an eusocial species, with any adventurers being drones or outcast workers. the looks on my players' faces as I describe the insectile, bloated elf queen as she lays her eggs would be quite amusing.

Anybody who's played Dragon Age Origins would probably take it in stride, you know.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Alignment should be replaced with Good vs. Bad. Any killing is automatically justified because if they were good they would have won instead of lost.

Ah, the "trial by ordeal/combat" school of thought.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ah, nuts. Are Evil Hat okay? Besides Avery Mcdaldno who's alright in the big RPG writing circles?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ratpick posted:

We should totally get elfgames recognized as a legit sport. elfSports.

Competitive CharOp. PvP Tournaments. Teams of D&D players running their carefully optimized groups through gimmicky dungeons hosted by celebrity Dungeon Masters. The best teams would get sponsorship deals from Paizo and WotC and would do product endorsements for third party publishers.

Isn't that bit "classic" D&D from when Gygax and co were actively running games?

Also, yikes, all this talk makes me REALLY glad I got into TTRPGs late. And that my preferred systems are generally okay about this and are run by generally okay people.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

On a 10+, you create awareness of problematic elements of the community and spread good ideas about respectfulness and inclusiveness. On 7-9, you're Sage LaTorra.

What happens on a miss? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Born 1991, have probably done more talking on the internet than I have face to face. On the other hand anytime someone can't figure out Microsoft Office and such in my group at work I can usually make it better, so I guess it's a wash.

• Locked thread