Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

When, after making an Ops Director for an AdEva game who was going to be the estranged father for another PC and sitting in on my first session, one of the players who was playing an adult pilot (ugh) told me OOC 'Just so you know, my 28 year old tactical operator dude is loving your PC's 14 year old daughter, is that gonna be a problem'

I mentioned it already in the bad experiences thread, but that was the moment I dropped that game and sprinted the hell away from that group forever.

Never ever let people be adult pilots. It opens a world of especially skeevy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

God do I ever know that. I never allowed it in any game of AdEva I ran. Hell, another butt-clench moment from AdEva was a time a player in one of my on-line groups told me his favorite part of the game I was running was 'the shipping' and complained about how his pilot wasn't getting any from the female pilots with his awkward anime come-on stuff. That was when I realized he wasn't just playing an awkward teen, he was, in fact, an awkward 30 something dude, and when he told me I should be doing more to promote sex/romance between the pilots I just booted him on the spot.

AdEva is a fun game, but you better know the people you're playing well (everyone else in the group was someone I knew personally), because the actual developer community is skeevy as gently caress. We just wanted to play doomed terrified teenagers in crazy robots, damnit.

It's me, I'm the guy who missed the point of Evangelion and expected a harem anime somehow. :psyduck:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, this describes like what, 70% of the people who claim to be fans of Evangelion but want Shinji to be 'more of a badass' and poo poo.

Yeah, I'm really glad I went basically looking for "David Lynch makes a robot anime".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

This is pretty long, but it's the best and most comprehensive discussion of Evangelion I've ever watched. :nsfw: because he really goes into everything that the series discusses. Nothing visually explicit, but not something I'd watch in front of my boss due to the inevitable discussion of "that scene" from End of Eva (you know the one).

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane-6540094

edit: the follow up is pretty good, but not essential if you don't have the time or aren't interested: http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-1-end-of-eva-follow-up-6558464

That review owns because he keeps bringing that scene up.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Late in on the Evangelion discussion, but one of the reasons I like Rebuild is that it makes Shinji less of a failure and worthless loser, and more like the character people clamor for him to be. And the result is that things go even more badly for humanity in that version of the story than they do in the original.

Aw be fair to Original Flavour Shinji, if there's an anime protag that's had the shittiest hand imaginable dealt to him it's Shinji.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Seriously, though, better anime games and bishonen swordsmen holding roses than the "Everything is grimdark and groggy and lame" thing that some of those games on F&F go for.

Well I have been thinking about how you'd run a STALKER game...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I dunno, man, Major Degtyarev from the third game doesn't look too bad at all.

*apps a bishie, is killed by russian neo-nazis an hour in*

такова жизнь в зоне~

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

...have you been reading DocBubonic's games? :catstare:

No, but this sounds great. Do tell. :allears:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Has anyone ever made a decent STALKER RPG? Because the setting seems just goddamn perfect for one.

There's one that came out in 2011, but it's diceless and from my read of it I'm not too hot on it. I'll probably just hack GRUNT like I do for anything involving existential terror and light crunch.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If D&D had gun this not happen.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Price Of Freedom, obviously. :911:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Saguaro PI posted:

Is this that D20 supplement about the abortion debate, because that was what I was going to post.

http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=5737

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If it's any consolation Foo also makes terrible loving posts in yospos so i'd just ignore him and move on.

Mimir posted:

One of the Worst Things in games is when weird fiddly rules fool you into thinking they're entirely reasonable rules. Then you're thinking you have a firm grasp on a ruleset, hypothetically, and let's say you've read some particular section on, oh, what's a good example, "The Matrix" a bunch of times, and it all seems reasonable.

Then (hypothetically), then, let's say that Matrix rules happened and then gently caress Technomancers why do you need so many goddamn rolls to do anything screw you oh man why does three seconds take so goddamn long in this system, how many times do you get to do stuff per round?

Four? And you can do up to three distinct things each time?

Man why do we even have a Face if he can't do anything in hours-long combat, this was really fun when y'all were just spitballin' about how to pull off this heist.

Sorry, guys.

I'm sorry this isn't as fun as it could be. I'm sure we'd be having more fun if we all knew these rules better.

Nope, that's more or less Shadowrun.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

quote:

Yes, its Joseph Rudyard Kipling; beloved storyteller, poet, intellectual; and these days maligned by the left-wing nanny-staters lily-livered limp-wristed cowards who are actually so delusional as to think that western civilization is a bad thing.

Christ, he really is Rush Limbaugh for grogs.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It ain't over 'til Sammy G sings.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EP doesn't just fail, it takes a glorious triple flip swan dive directly into the concrete behind the diving board ladder.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Outside of the well documented badness of the engine my quarrel with EP is everything beyond the asteroid belt is "gently caress it let's let LF write it". The Jovians are an embarrassment and doing the Anarchists/Extropians/Ulitmates as "Spanish Civil War in space" would be way cooler.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

It's Brett, isn't it?

It's Bruce, like everyone else in Australia.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Use FAE, run Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

what if we just found his real life address and beat him senseless with lengths of pipe

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Society A is Chaotic Evil and Society B is Lawful Neutral.

fascist morality sneers at your notions of peace and prosperity. guns will make us strogn, butter will only make us fat etc.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Really, I want someone to just write elves as actual Nazis or imperialists. I played in a setting where the Evil Empire was a vicious race of imperialist grey elves once and it was awesome living in the human diaspora among the dwarves and working for the resistance.

I've wanted to do a fantasy pre-war Europe with fascist elves for a while. Maybe I should pull the trigger on that one...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure Spelljammer had straight-up imperialist elves with Nazi overtones or something like that.

"What if elves...were actually huge jerks!?!?" is honestly as played out by this point as "elves are super-cool and awesome and pretty and this one is totally my GMPC's hot girlfriend" by this point. Nobody's gonna care about you pointing out that elves as presented sound like a passel of dicks because no poo poo. If you really want to stand out what you've gotta do is go the reconstruction route and write up an elven society where they have all that fancy art and culture and maybe-immortality and magic but actually are super-cool and awesome and not huge dicks about it.

Yes but have you considered gently caress elves and this hobby.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If they get sweaty and mine shirtless I'm down with that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

FT does run the most Vietnam war games or whatever on these forums. He's already put his money where his mouth is.

Yeah I don't think I've ever run traditional fantasy in PbP or in real life. Your move DocBubonic. :agesilaus:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

GURPS.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm tellin' ya, GURPS.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Pathfinder is going to breed bad habits, if it doesn't straight scare them away from RPGs forever.

Pathfinder is like Guinness, it's good for you even if your liver shrivels up and dies and you drink away all your money and wander the streets forever more homeless and perennially smelling of drink.

Tollymain posted:

Monsterhearts and Apocalypse World are really good but Sex Moves are difficult to explain before people run away, Dungeon World is more generic and easily understandable in some ways but gently caress if I'm going to suggest putting any more money in the creators' pockets. Are there any other PbtA games out there that are fairly good and not just poorly reskinned AW (MotW, tremulus)?

Honestly I'd go with the FATE Accelerated guy, it might not be the freshest FATE variant but it's simple and does the job.

Also what happened with the Dungeon World guys?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

everyone look at this garbage man. laugh, as he wobbles back and forth like a bellow made of turds.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

Paranoia?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You literally just described Paranoia.

Sounds like we got some fuckin' commie traitor filth here

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Geez, talk about different strokes, I'm only 2 years younger than you, but I was probably one of the first of the 'kids who were basically raised online. Since my dad worked with computers, As far back as I remember we always had at least one in the house, we had internet pre-AOL, had a separate line for dial-up. (two lines at one point iirc), even living in small-town Idaho for awhile, we always had a connection.

It's so weird hearing how different it was for people who are practically the same age as me. :psyduck:

Born in 1991, had access to a computer since 1996 and internet since 1998ish. We had ISDN even, back when that was impressive. 96kb/s of uninterrupted access to the Information Superhighway, paid for by the Irish Department of Education. :smaug:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Covok posted:

I was born in the early nineties. I was 7 at the turn of the millennium.

Don't worry, though, with my horrible health, you'll all outlive me.

I was 9, and I can still remember the millenium clock and fireworks display they had along Parnell Place. :allears:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ah yes, Red Orchestra Syndrome.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Darksaber posted:

I don't know that one, might as well edit it in too. What did some game dev who thought he was a member of the Soviet army do?

Red Orchestra was a mod for UT2k4 and later full game where the idea was it was realistic; guns were deadly, classes had historical loadouts and were capped variably, tanks and vehicles were fully modelled (so unless you wanted your head blown off you stayed buttoned up which practically blinded you), maps and objectives were historical, etc.

Except they based the fatigue, carrying capacity and accuracy while standing and crouching off of what they as goony arsed game devs could pull off, so you could run for about 4 seconds before collapsing of exhaustion, carrying more than a longarm and some grenades cut this further, and submachine guns were uncontrollable.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

Yeah, I think I'm just done with D&D. It was never in any way special to me in the first place, and right now the culture around it is hurting people I respect and care about. And there are just so many other amazing RPGs out there, I lose nothing from dropping D&D. There are so many D&D-like games that literally the only thing I'm actually losing is the words "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

So basically if you need me I'm going to be over there doing stuff with weird weeaboo storygames.

I don't run fantasy, but if I did I'd use, i dunno, FAE or something. And I'd run it as the most Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy/Candlemass thing ever. DARE YOU TREK TO THE HOLE OF GHOSTS AND PUT AN END TO THE SORCERER'S FOUL PLOTS ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

I doubt it. Your dad, right now. on Facebook, is making the worst pun you've ever heard.

Funny, my dad just jokes about arabs and turks being lazy and how as an autistic person I should shack up with microsoft because they'd have stimming breaks.

• Locked thread