Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, this describes like what, 70% of the people who claim to be fans of Evangelion but want Shinji to be 'more of a badass' and poo poo.
Yeah, he's a true hero, jacking off over his comatose and naked friend.

With that said, I love how the series starts out with giant robots and ends with "gently caress you, you creepy anime fucks, these are teenagers, you assholes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Maltose posted:

Have you guys considered watching good anime instead?
I am not really that into anime - I just like good shows - but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is seriously in my top 10 series, animated or non-animated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Error 404 posted:

I watched Avatar: the last airbender on netflix last year, I thought it was pretty good. does that count as anime?
I watched it last month. I thought it was really good. Excellent within the boundaries inherent in being a kids' show.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

what would the ideal system be for running kill six billion demons

4e and you turn them into swarms.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

By request, reposting Mearls:
Where is this from?

And please tell me people are sending him stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ewen Cluney posted:

David Hill posted on twitter that Zak's involvement was enough for him to not spend a cent on the new D&D, and that was where Mike Mearls posted that, though a few people reshared it since then. David shared some of the stuff that his family has had to go through as a result of Zak's actions, and... it's a lot worse than I would have imagined.

I emailed Mearls myself, though thankfully I've never had to deal with the really bad stuff myself, just Pundit blatantly lying about a game I worked on in order to further his usual :beck: conspiracy theories about evil storygamers coming to destroy real RPGs in the dead of night.

I'm pretty sure he's going to have a lot of these emails to go through (and a lot from people who've suffered a lot worse than me), so I don't expect a reply any time soon.
Is there a link to all of this?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Synnibarr has the best-balanced classes in RPG history.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zachol posted:

Better even than Rifts?
I think Synnibarr - especially the kickstarted edition - wins the "probably not actually playable" award. So the world may never know.

Seriously, he was giving away copies of the new edition for free around new years. I got it and... I really, really, really don't get it. At least the 2nd edition had something resembling a structure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If they've done their time and they've rehabilitated, if they're in counseling or successfully concluded counseling, if the situation isn't going to give them opportunities for more offenses... Maybe at a game store? Definitely not in my house.

I like to think people can change, I guess. :shrug:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

I like to think so too, but a practical concern is that our system and culture are poo poo at actually rehabilitating people. It might be unfair, but I'm willing to err on the side of immediate avoidance of possible child abuse.
You know, I was starting like three responses where I was trying to find the right words to ask if he was an abuser or just a creep who got pictures from the Internet, but I was making myself sick so I'll not do that.

Evil Mastermind doesn't feel cozy running a game for the sicko, so that's a good enough reason not to.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Haha, even little old me got doxxed over at theRPGsite a few years back. The dude did something like look up my old amazon reviews - literally from 1997 - to discredit me.

Actually other folks told him that was pretty hosed up, so...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zachol posted:

So, question, let's say you had a friend living elsewhere who was interested in RPGs but had literally no experience at all, and he was interested in starting up a group with some of his friends.
What specific product would you recommend as an introduction to the idea of an RPG to a completely new GM who wouldn't have a way to get advice or a demonstration from someone with experience? Importantly, what in-print product could you recommend, something where you could say "go buy this off Amazon" or "print off these twentyish pages" without it being something from the 80s?

I was having a real hard time thinking of an answer. I kinda feel like "Pathfinder beginner box but don't ever actually get the PF books themselves" fits but is still an unfortunate choice, and the 4e box/intro adventure apparently wasn't very good.
Gamma World? That had a nice box, right?
Does anyone know how Fiasco turns out if none of the participants are familiar with it or "roleplaying"?
Seriously, 5e starter set.

Friends don't suggest Pathfinder to friends.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo, I completely missed the Marion Zimmer Bradley stuff. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gau posted:

I'm sorry. I made a joke in poor taste. I've edited it out.
I dunno, the irony of being an insensitive dick while complaining about insensitive dicks lent it a certain weight.

• Locked thread